R60/R61 Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for R60 AND R61 MINI Cooper and Cooper S MINIs.

What does it mean when white smoke comes out of the exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2018, 08:38 AM
Joni
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently had the turbo charge and coolant pump changed under the factory warranty. I have a 2011 Mini Cooper S All4 Countryman. I now have a strong odor and white smoke coming from the exhaust system.

Old 07-03-2018, 09:18 AM
downshift1
4th Gear
Received 57 Likes on 45 Posts
White smoke is water / condensation.

The odor smell sweet or does it smell like gasoline?

If it it a light puff on first start up it's probably nothing as the left over fuel in the exhaust naturally attracts water and when the exhaust heats up you get steam. This should go away after a few minutes of driving.

Now if it's puffing white smoke like a steam engine and doesn't go away then you need to have it towed right back to the dealer.

Old 07-03-2018, 11:46 AM
MrGrumpy
6th Gear
Received 241 Likes on 207 Posts
My first thought was the turbo, but you said it was just replaced. White smoke is a symptom of a failure.....just because it’s new does not mean that there isn’t a defect somewhere, or an installation issue. I would take it back to have it checked out by the dealer where you had it fixed. Like was stated above, if it’s just a little bit after startup, take it in just for piece of mind if nothing else. If it’s smoking a lot, then call a tow truck and have them deposit it right back there for warranty.
good luck, let us know what you find out.

Old 07-03-2018, 05:28 PM
mikey_t
5th Gear
Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts
Usually means the engine is burning coolant generally due to a head gasket failure from overheating.

The following users liked this post:
Joni (07-05-2018)
Old 07-04-2018, 08:37 AM
isamin
4th Gear
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Usually signifies a blown head gasket. Check radiator for signs of oil.
Take it back to the dealer and iterate the value of social media advertising.
ISAMIN

Joni (07-05-2018)
Old 07-05-2018, 06:42 AM
Joni
Neutral
The white smoke is after the car has run for 30 minutes and it is a lot of white smoke enough to fill an intersection, not sure of the smell. The white smoke does go away but then I have turned off the car and not driven it.

Old 07-05-2018, 06:45 AM
Joni
Neutral
It is going back for the second time for the white smoke tomorrow, will let you know how it goes. Thanks!

Old 07-05-2018, 08:12 AM
MrGrumpy
6th Gear
Received 241 Likes on 207 Posts
Good luck and let us know what they say. The other replies are right on about the head gasket. Because I just replaced mine, I will probably think turbo first for the next several weeks at least, just because it’s been on my brain, lol.
Is it making any odd sounds or hesitating or anything?

Joni (07-13-2018)
Old 07-15-2018, 06:09 AM
Joni
Neutral

Okay, they picked up my car on July 6th. It was blowing white smoke when they picked it up and continued to do so for an hour or more. The valet driver called the dealer immediately and said she was not comfortable driving it because of the smoke. The Fixed Operations Manager told her to drive it to Kansas City, a two hour drive and that the car was fine. On July 12th, I got an update on my car and they said it was residual oil from the original turbo failing and that they cleaned out all the oil internally to resolve the problem. I asked would it really smoke that much from a small amount of oil and was told yes. They are going to keep the car over the weekend and see if it looses any oil. My car was not smoking prior to the turbo being changed. The engine light had just come on and I had it seen right away. My opinion is that it all started after the turbo being replaced. I have a video of the smoke and it filled my garage and was not stopping from smoking, but I am having a problem posting it. Was wondering if I could email the video to someone and have you post it or share. I plan on calling the dealership on Monday and asking more questions prior to my car coming back to me.

Old 07-16-2018, 03:50 AM
Joni
Neutral
The dealer had a valet pick up the car and drive it 2 hours to Kansas City on July 6, even though the driver called the dealer and said she was not comfortable driving the vehicle. There was white smoke after idling but it was enough to fill up the garage and after turning off the car and letting it sit for 15 minutes it smoked right away on start up. It did not smell like gasoline or sweet, just a burning smell. It was not smoking prior to the turbo change but the dealer is saying it was residual oil left from the turbo they replaced and they have cleaned it internally to correct that. They were going to hold on to the car over the weekend and see how the rest of the week goes before returning to me. Would a car really smoke that much from residual oil? I have video of the smoke but haven't been able to attach it. Would like to email or text it to someone here to see.

Old 07-16-2018, 03:57 AM
Joni
Neutral
A valet picked up my Mini on July 6. It was smoking so much, she called the dealership and told them she did not feel the car was okay to drive but per the Manager of Fixed Operations at the dealership my car was okay to drive. It was driven to KC, a two hour drive. I was contacted on July 12 and they said the smoke was from residual oil from the bad turbo and they cleaned it internally to resolve the issue. The car was not smoking until the turbo and oil filter/gasket and seal was installed. Could that residual oil really cause that much smoke? It was not a sweet smell or gasoline smell. I do have video of the smoke but have not been able to attatch it, was wondering if I could email or text to someone here to watch it. They are going to hold on to the car before returning it to me sometime this week.