R60/R61 Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for R60 AND R61 MINI Cooper and Cooper S MINIs.

Cooper Countryman All4 S issues anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 04:15 AM
maa597
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cooper Countryman All4 S issues anyone?

Hi All,

I have a 2011 Countryman All4 S with 5500 miles on it. I am wondering if anyone has the same 2 issues I am having. When I first picked it up, I notice after the 2nd day there was a distinct jerk when rolling forward slowly after putting the car in Drive, it was more pronounced when rolling in reverse. I was told that is normal by my dealer and would go away, possibly. Friends in the car have noticed it also. It continues to happen now.

Second issue is with the brakes, they grind when you come to a stop. The noise is most noticable in the back brakes. Very clearly heard when going in reverse. With only 5500 miles on it, I would think they pads have not worn down, and I only noticed it after a friend sitting in the back mentioned it awhile ago, so it was probably happening all along. I always have music on so did not hear it sooner.

Any help, suggestions or anyone with the same "issues", please let me know. I am scheduled to bring it in today to the dealer again.

Thanks!!

A

Old 02-11-2012, 05:43 AM
Mark Bielick
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I can't help you with the trans issue, but I can say my CM's brakes do exactly the same thing as what you describe. A growling heard late in the braking cycle, coming from the rear brakes, and more noticeable in reverse. It's been happening for the last 5000 miles, and I've been monitoring the rear rotors since. So far, I don't see any galling or damage to the rotors, but I will bring it in to the dealer if it gets any worse. I'd be interested to hear what your dealer says about the issue.

Thanks,
Mark

Old 02-11-2012, 11:22 AM
MSPRO
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Mark Bielick
I can't help you with the trans issue, but I can say my CM's brakes do exactly the same thing as what you describe. A growling heard late in the braking cycle, coming from the rear brakes, and more noticeable in reverse. It's been happening for the last 5000 miles, and I've been monitoring the rear rotors since. So far, I don't see any galling or damage to the rotors, but I will bring it in to the dealer if it gets any worse. I'd be interested to hear what your dealer says about the issue.

Thanks,
Mark
My '11 CM does the same thing with the rear brakes. My husband has a '12 R56 and his does the same thing in reverse, but not so much while going forward. It has bugged me, but every CM I have driven does it.

Old 02-13-2012, 06:35 PM
maa597
Neutral
Mark,

I brought it back to the dealer who said again the noise in the brakes is normal. He checked two others they had in stock and they both had the sound. I honestly never noticed it until someone sitting in the back told me. I always have the music on so never heard it, and it is more noticeable in reverse. Its probably been doing it since I bought it. I'm just over 5700 miles so lets see what happens when I put more on it. As for the trans "issue", of course it didn't happen at all when I was at the dealer. So I will keep an eye on that.

Thanks.

Alan

Old 02-20-2012, 02:47 PM
Jillrnc
2nd Gear
I just brought mine in for the same brake noise and they are looking into it. Mine has 32000 miles on it and they will be replacing the front brake pads- the rotors look good- sad to think it may be "normal". I hate to think of how it sounds when I do autocross.

Old 02-27-2012, 08:53 AM
Nanovanman
1st Gear
Mine has 5900 miles on it. I've never noticed any noise from my brakes.

Old 03-01-2012, 06:57 PM
tmehanna
2nd Gear
I have the jerk while crawling in reverse. I also sometimes notice a slight momentary shudder when accelerating at about half throttle from around 20 mph, seems to be coming from transmission.

Old 03-01-2012, 07:39 PM
Bakerbrdz
Banned
Originally Posted by tmehanna
I have the jerk while crawling in reverse. I also sometimes notice a slight momentary shudder when accelerating at about half throttle from around 20 mph, seems to be coming from transmission.
Take it in, there's an update. Search for it on this site

Old 04-06-2012, 02:00 AM
The Militia
Neutral
Originally Posted by Bakerbrdz
Take it in, there's an update. Search for it on this site
Hi there, I'm new here and I tried looking via search. What did you mean by an update? ECU update? some tech bulletin about this?

I've just gotten a brand new ALL4 S and have the same exact issue (amongst other things like squeaking door and a power window that jerks when sliding up)..

Old 04-06-2012, 06:39 AM
eggmole
2nd Gear
Old 05-01-2012, 05:22 PM
Knownman
2nd Gear
I have The same brakes issue. A friend first noticed it but then I started to tune into the grinding or dragging noise.

Dealer told me it was normal until I complained about the service advisor being dismissive. Service manager had his lead technician explain the noise to me as being a feature which pre loads (ever so lightly) the brake pads when the foot is off the accelerator.

Sounds like a load to me.

Two more trips back to the dealer for other issues and then I notice on the paperwork that the wear indicators have been replaced?

Take it for what it's worth. They never said a thing and I think the noise is much less now. I haven't noticed it at least and I ride in the back sometimes with the baby.

Old 05-08-2012, 10:01 PM
ripnrik
1st Gear
Mine acts same way although I haven't noticed any particular sound associated with it. I chalk it up to the preload for hill assist on my automatic - designed to keep you from rolling back on a hill when starting.