R60/R61 Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for R60 AND R61 MINI Cooper and Cooper S MINIs.

Stumble when accelerating?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2011, 09:50 AM
Frankendoc
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stumble when accelerating?

So our beloved CM seems to have some growing pains. It's an All4 6spd with 1400 miles.

When accelerating on an onramp at 55-60 mph with 1/2 to 3/4 throttle the CM will "stumble" for about 1 sec. RPM's stop rising and it loses power for a very short interval then surges like nothing happened.

I've been fueling at several different quality stations. No CEL's.

We have an appointment to take it into the dealer for diagnosis.

Anyone have similar issues, or thoughts?

Old 05-12-2011, 10:55 AM
Miniblue2
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
4200 miles and it happened once. Nowhere near 1 second and that was a while ago. All is well since then.

My only problem is the tire pressure monitor which works very well and each of the four times it lite up I had a sheet rock screw in the front right tire.

Getting ready to replace that one when I get the others rotated in 800 miles.

Bill

Old 05-12-2011, 11:21 AM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts
With no "chronic" power loss across the band, and just a stumble, maybe it was some low octane fuel or just bad batch of fuel ?

Old 05-12-2011, 08:53 PM
Cosmic Blue Conspiracy
2nd Gear
Mine has done it several times. Just a quick hitch. Usually at 95-100mph. Actually really, somewhere about 65-75 with quick acceleration.

Old 05-16-2011, 04:00 AM
Flyer53
5th Gear
Mine as well….. mostly accelerating. Just started and will keep an eye on it for
future service if need be. 4800 miles here.

Old 05-16-2011, 04:14 AM
GP0256
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is common between 2200 and 2800 RPM's on all 2007 + MCS, and I am sure it probably happens on the countryman as well. It is as if it is just going to stall out and lose all power, but it never actually does. It is a fuel injection problem. When I had the Alta Accessport on my car, it went away with a new fuel injection map. I do not know why MINI has not fixed it yet, but it seems to be an ongoing issue.

Old 06-12-2011, 03:49 PM
magpullin
3rd Gear
Add me to the list!!!!!
Getting on the freeway accelerated hard and at about 65 mph lost power, then lurched forward, lost power again, then lurched and accelerated just fine. Have noticed the acceleration in general is no where as smooth or responsive as my 2002 Nissan Altima 3.5.
Love the car overall, but am really annoyed with Mini over this and other things which should have already been resolved or never should be happening.

The following users liked this post:
SunBird (12-11-2019)
Old 06-16-2011, 09:37 AM
spaner
3rd Gear
Stumbled happened to me just once - I was "pressing on" around a few twisties and it scared the pee out of me as it was just at the apex of a turn and unstelled the car a bit. Thats was around 2,500 miles and has not happened since

Now more annoyingly for me is on first start up if I forget to press sport mode the car won't idle properly - I fix this with always pressing sport button and then throttle response becomes more linear but its a pain if i forget and then go to pull out. I know the sport button does change calibration but the car still should work in "standard" mode

at 8,500 miles so will live this until I take it in for a service around 10k

Still digging the car though

BTW at 4,000 car developed a lift off pop/burble which is cool (or I hope cool and not indicative of fueling issues...)

Old 06-16-2011, 10:58 AM
ALIENLOVE
2nd Gear
Mine stumbled 3 times at the same speed level accelarating fm 55miles to 90miles and almost always doing at the same speed level while accelerating hard, have an appointment with service tomorrow for a full diagnostic. Will let you know the result. It happend to me before with my 2008 mcs but never happened to my 2007 mcs. I wish they can solve it at the service.

Old 06-16-2011, 12:00 PM
ghamma
5th Gear
Originally Posted by magpullin
Add me to the list!!!!!
Getting on the freeway accelerated hard and at about 65 mph lost power, then lurched forward, lost power again, then lurched and accelerated just fine. Have noticed the acceleration in general is no where as smooth or responsive as my 2002 Nissan Altima 3.5.
Love the car overall, but am really annoyed with Mini over this and other things which should have already been resolved or never should be happening.
Well, I didn't expect to have this problem, but it happened to me today. I was accelerating down a right-turning ramp onto the expressway and I got two quick power cut-outs when almost at the end or the ramp. They each lasted a fraction of a second and felt about a second apart and there was no sound from the engine and no power when they happened. I was going about 55 when it happened.

I was a little distracted by the presence of other traffic so I didn't notice if any indication was showing on the displays at the time.

The fuel level was at 1/2 full at the time.

Old 06-21-2011, 01:51 AM
ALIENLOVE
2nd Gear
Ok today service sent my car to my house and will check tonight if it will do it again or not' what service told me is they did not see any fault codes recorded but he told me to be sure they reprogrammed it(whatever it means) so will see tonight.

Old 06-22-2011, 10:52 AM
Lexster05
3rd Gear
Happened to me yesterday... hard acceleration coming onto a freeway, between 60-75mph. The Countryman reacted like it had 3 severe hiccups, but finally smoothed out. First time I have ever felt a MINI lurch so badly. Was not in Sport mode, AC not on, normal traction. After that, the MINI drove fine.

No light indicators came on... fuel was just turned under 1/2 full. Just over a 1,000 miles on the Countryman.

Old 06-23-2011, 05:44 PM
ALL4TURBO
3rd Gear
Well, add ke to the list. Mine has done it a lot and yesterday for about 10 seconds straight. I had a car pull out on me in heavy traffic. So close in fact in had to slam on the breaks very hard slowing from 60 down to about 25. Once the woman in front of me realized I was flipping her off she punched it and pulled away from me. I slammed the gas to the floor and the mini started bucking and almost stalling. The tach went up and down, up and down for about 10 seconds.. I was more focused on getting back up to speed so I didnt get hit from behind. It didn't hit me at first as to what was going on. When I released the gas from WOT it stopped. Very unsettling.

My Last car VW CC had a ton of problems and I dont want another problem..
Anyone actually go to a dealer and complain? If so what did they say/ do?

1500 miles on the ride..

Old 06-24-2011, 02:33 PM
ALIENLOVE
2nd Gear
@ALL4TURBO I did and they told me as long as EML light does not come up car does not log and only thing they did was to load the program again and to wait if it will do the same stumbling again, this is not right for a 1500 mile car and I am not happy to drive with an unidentified problem. I was hard on accelerator yesterday on freeway and tried to imitate the speed between 55 to 100 miles at least 20 times I tried but nothing happened. What I fear now is it will happen again in a very bad situation again like it happened to me when ı was trying to pass a car at a 2 lane road.... :( Anybody checked other forums around the world? I know I am the only one at Turkey at the moment(İf service is not lieing to me!!) .

Old 06-24-2011, 03:03 PM
ALL4TURBO
3rd Gear
I cannot replicate it either. It just happens. I, like you fear that it will happen at the wrong time. I now feel the need to visit the dealer and get it noted early.

And so it begins..

Old 06-24-2011, 08:42 PM
magpullin
3rd Gear
This is a known problem with this engine. There are several posts in the 2nd gen forums. I was hoping Mini did something about it, but apparently not. They seem to have not fixed the known issues with the fuel pump and thermostat, which CM owners are already chiming in about. The jury is still out on the carbon build up issues, but it looks like that will also be something many will have to face with this car. Like I said I love this car, but I will not keep it past the warranty if I see alot of service visits in it's future.

Old 08-11-2011, 08:05 PM
J72CMall4
Neutral
happened to me today in the morning. Call the the service and they want to test drive a car tomorrow. Why? There is nothing happen while driving back at night?

Old 08-12-2011, 04:55 AM
pappatho
2nd Gear
Our CM has done this once as well. Our '09 JCW has been doing this for awhile and is getting quite a bit worse.

Old 08-12-2011, 06:21 AM
Karrock
4th Gear
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Just happened to me for the first time yesterday...

I was in 6th gear (stick), doing maybe 50-55 and hit the accelerator to pass a car and my MINI hesitated and sputtered for a second. Didn't notice the tach speed at the time, figured I was just gassing it at a low RPM, possibly on an incline.

~4,600 miles on the odo...

Old 08-12-2011, 01:41 PM
ALL4TURBO
3rd Gear
I havent had it happen for a while but it happened again a couple days ago. It also was around 55mph. I hit the gas hard and it stuttered like crazy. Really bugs me. Dealer couldn't replicate it of course..
I hope this isnt going to become a case of Maryland Lemon Law.

"When a new car has been "repaired" for the same problem four or more times, or the vehicle has been out of service for at least 30 days for repairs, during the first 15 months or 15,000 miles of the warranty, you are entitled to a new vehicle or a refund for the vehicle you have bought. If the problem involves the sterring or braking system, only one attempt to repair it is required."

A few more trips to the dealer without some results and this is the route I'm gonna go. They better find a fix asap.. To me its a safety issue. I'm going to wind up being hit from behind because of the loss of power when it does stumble. Not to mention that it can't be good for the car to hiccup and buck..

Old 08-12-2011, 03:42 PM
MINIFIDE
2nd Gear
It's happened to me quite a few times (4 I think) and I've found that if I let go of the gas, it shortens the sputtering time by a fraction of a second. Anyway, I just wanted to write on here so I can add my name to the growing list of people with this problem. I've got an Automatic S and it seems to happen after I fully stop or I'm at a slow pace and then accelerate. Of the four times it's happened, 2 were after a stop sign and 2 were after I accelerated past a green light (after I had been stopped at a red). It's happened between 1st and 2nd gear along with 2nd and 3rd gear. I was not using sport mode or my paddles. I'm at about 2200 miles and it's pretty much happened since the beginning.....totally not cool.

Old 08-12-2011, 04:59 PM
minimize07
4th Gear
I really think it is inherant and due to the ecu mapping of the turbo for the quicker responce to prevent any further turbo lag that some feel.just my .02.Now if your talking a jerking/hesitation that could be due to poor fuel or again the infamous HPFP that the turbo'd MCS's are experiencing.Try another hi octane fuel with less ethanol if you can find one in your areas,Sometimes that makes all the difference in the world I know because I had similiar experience with poor fuel that was supposed to be rated below 10% ethanol....poor runnung results and as soon as I changed to another station that posted 10% or lower my car was running great again...simple fix

Old 08-12-2011, 05:38 PM
Tahoe Ed
1st Gear
Originally Posted by minimize07
I really think it is inherant and due to the ecu mapping of the turbo for the quicker responce to prevent any further turbo lag that some feel.just my .02.Now if your talking a jerking/hesitation that could be due to poor fuel or again the infamous HPFP that the turbo'd MCS's are experiencing.Try another hi octane fuel with less ethanol if you can find one in your areas,Sometimes that makes all the difference in the world I know because I had similiar experience with poor fuel that was supposed to be rated below 10% ethanol....poor runnung results and as soon as I changed to another station that posted 10% or lower my car was running great again...simple fix
Minimize07, I agree with you. Manufactures are so concerned with milage and emissions that the stock maps are horrible. I had a STI that was almost undrivable. Subaru sent an engineer from Japan to look at it and did an upgrade to the mapping. It solved nothing. Then I purchased an AP from Cobb and went to stage 1. I had a different car after that.

Old 08-12-2011, 07:07 PM
ALL4TURBO
3rd Gear
I ran 91 and it did it and I switched to 93 and it does it..

Old 08-14-2011, 06:21 PM
vnt001
Neutral
yep....my countryman does it..but generally 60+. Step on it and give it full throttle and get a slap back then. This is way unlike anything I ever experienced with my Mini Cooper JCW. A substantial kick back is troublesome considering it is impossible to reproduce to show the dealer.

Quick Reply: Stumble when accelerating?