R60 :: Countryman Talk (2010-2015) R60 Cooper and Cooper S hatchback discussion NOT REPAIR RELATED Discussions.

R60 Purchase Price Relative to MSRP

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 01:41 PM
FamilyMan
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Purchase Price Relative to MSRP

I'm considering getting a Countryman All4 and am wondering how they're selling relative to the MSRP and what, if anything, dealers have been throwing in to close deals.

I'd just like to get a feel for the experiences of those in the community before I start talking details with a dealer.

Thanks,
Chris

Old 02-14-2011, 01:43 PM
lindseybp
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lots of people on here special ordered theirs. Most of us paid MSRP. I believe there a some who paid a little less than MSRP if they bought off the lot. Are you looking to buy off the lot or special order?

Old 02-14-2011, 01:48 PM
RS11
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by FamilyMan
I'm considering getting a Countryman All4 and am wondering how they're selling relative to the MSRP and what, if anything, dealers have been throwing in to close deals.

I'd just like to get a feel for the experiences of those in the community before I start talking details with a dealer.

Thanks,
Chris
A common deal is probably MSRP + floor mats.

Old 02-14-2011, 02:48 PM
FamilyMan
3rd Gear
I know the options I want but I would be willing to go with something on the lot depending on the feature set, color, etc.

That said though, I'll be driving this car for the next 10 years so my flexibility is limited and I may end up ordering one...assuming my wife doesn't balk at the $.

If I do order one how long should I expect it to take for delivery assuming I'm not going for any rare options that might extend the wait time?

Old 02-14-2011, 02:57 PM
rsbell
4th Gear
Originally Posted by FamilyMan
If I do order one how long should I expect it to take for delivery assuming I'm not going for any rare options that might extend the wait time?
The options you choose shouldn't delay your delivery.

If you happen to get a slot that is already allotted to your dealer, your wait should be about 6-8 weeks (1 week to begin production, 8 days in production, 3-5 days travel to Bremerhaven, 2 weeks en route to East coast or 3 weeks en route to West coast, then a 2-3 days to clear VDC, then transport from the VDC to your dealer).

If you don't get a slot already earmarked for your dealer, add 1-2 weeks wait time.

Old 02-14-2011, 02:58 PM
tccox
4th Gear
Sticker MSRP was $27800 on my 2011 MCS. On top of that you add all dealer crap shipping and handling plus 3% NC sales tax. I did not trade in anything and it was a cash deal. They threw in floor mats of my choice, hood raceing stripes and a few other goodies. I paid $27500 out the door. I'm happy.

Old 02-14-2011, 05:40 PM
FamilyMan
3rd Gear
Thanks...this is helpful.

Old 02-14-2011, 06:17 PM
ddbullard
2nd Gear
Is it common to have the dealership add $$$ to the price, that is above and beyond what shows in the configurator? My MA just placed my order today. When I called to ask about additional costs at time of delivery, (thinking they would be going over the add-ons that dealers typically want hit you with) he told me that there was an additional $595 for prep.
I can see adding $$ for mats and other dealer installed accessories, but this seems out of line. What are others experiences?

Old 02-14-2011, 08:20 PM
Midnight Blue
6th Gear
Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts
Dealer prep fee = walk away

Plenty of margin at full MSRP. No need for additional dealer markup unless demand outstrips supply (it doesn't) and you are willing to pay it.

Old 02-15-2011, 04:24 AM
Walt
5th Gear
Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts
Originally Posted by tccox
... plus 3% NC sales tax.
Wow, I wish ours was that low.

Old 02-15-2011, 07:15 AM
Finner
3rd Gear
595 for prep? I wouldnt pay that. I wouldnt pay any prep fee. Paying MSRP is enough. Most dealers charge a Documentation Fee. In some states that amount is set. In other states the dealer can charge whatever doc fee they want. At delivery, if paying MSRP, you should have taxes, Motor Vehicle charges for Plates/registration, and a realistic doc fee. If they are adding another 595 for prep, I would go elsewhere.

Old 02-15-2011, 08:29 AM
Walt
5th Gear
Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts
I thought the prep fee was included in the MSRP. If you are paying the MRSP, adding it again would be redundant.

I would tell them to not prep the car. If there are any problems, you'll handle them with a warranty repair, and then make an appointed with their service dept for the same day you pick it up from sales. If there is nothing wrong, you could always cancel that appointment.

Old 02-15-2011, 10:52 AM
arrested_cloud
2nd Gear
Besides the tax/tag and destination charge (i think that was included in the MSRP have to check), the dealer only added a processing fee of $299. Every dealer in Md/Va adds that fee but varying amounts. the lowest that i know of is $99 but that is carmax.

this prep thing sound very skeevy

Old 02-15-2011, 11:27 AM
siriuszero
6th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
There is a destination charge that should be part of the MSRP (and it is listed on my itemized order), but anything else like "dealer prep" fees are basically the fee for them to take off the shipping stickers and maybe a couple touch ups (which is technically what the destination charge should cover anyway).

In other words, it's a ripoff and no one should pay it - its the dealer getting more money from you. They take enough by charging MSRP (or more), they don't need to take anymore.

Old 02-15-2011, 06:47 PM
hittlets
2nd Gear
Was just wondering what interest rates people have been getting for their CMs. I am in Cincinnati (purchasing through Cincinnati Mini) and my MA said that the current best rate was 3.25%, but the website has a promotion for 0.9% and upgrade to a free package. I didn't see any disclaimers for Minis excluding CMs, but possible just haven't been able to find it yet.

Any thoughts or experiences?

Thanks,
Tim

Old 02-15-2011, 06:57 PM
lindseybp
5th Gear
Originally Posted by hittlets
Was just wondering what interest rates people have been getting for their CMs. I am in Cincinnati (purchasing through Cincinnati Mini) and my MA said that the current best rate was 3.25%, but the website has a promotion for 0.9% and upgrade to a free package. I didn't see any disclaimers for Minis excluding CMs, but possible just haven't been able to find it yet.

Any thoughts or experiences?

Thanks,
Tim
After ordering the sales manager told me he could get me either 2.99 or 3.19. We'll see if that holds true once our CM actually comes in. Other than that I have seen 3.3 to 3.50 as the best range outside of dealer financing.

The 0.9% is only for up to 2 years. Rate goes up from there. 5 year is 2.9%. This EXCLUDES the Countryman.

Old 02-15-2011, 07:40 PM
hittlets
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by lindseybp
After ordering the sales manager told me he could get me either 2.99 or 3.19. We'll see if that holds true once our CM actually comes in. Other than that I have seen 3.3 to 3.50 as the best range outside of dealer financing.

The 0.9% is only for up to 2 years. Rate goes up from there. 5 year is 2.9%. This EXCLUDES the Countryman.
Thanks. I didn't realize that 0.9% was only 2 years. I remember back in December seeing that special rates weren't applicable to the CM. I can get 2.99% from another lender. I don't have any reason to go with MF, so wherever I get the better deal.

Old 02-16-2011, 10:44 AM
jmdor
4th Gear
Special rates do not include the countryman per my MA. I got 72 months for 4.49% from USAA.

Old 02-16-2011, 10:56 AM
lindseybp
5th Gear
Yes, definitely shop around for rates. You always have to find the tiny print to see that the Countryman is almost always excluded.

Old 02-16-2011, 11:13 AM
arrested_cloud
2nd Gear
i got 2.75 for 72 months @ SECU a credit union. awesome rate

Old 02-16-2011, 03:33 PM
MaybeMCSC
4th Gear
My MA mentioned that they occasionally run into car loans that have prepayment penalties! Obviously, a you-know-what if you want to sell your car and it isn't yet paid off.

Anyone ever run into this? I've never thought to even worry about this, but I guess I should, from now on.

Old 02-16-2011, 03:42 PM
hittlets
2nd Gear
I have heard in the past that some loans have Pre-payment penalties. I haven't encountered these, personally, however my MA told me that Mini Select doesn't allow additional payment, or payments above the payment amount. He said that a full payoff was allowed without penalty, but no payment above the agreed amount.

Old 02-16-2011, 04:25 PM
lindseybp
5th Gear
I have heard in the past that some loans have Pre-payment penalties. I haven't encountered these, personally, however my MA told me that Mini Select doesn't allow additional payment, or payments above the payment amount. He said that a full payoff was allowed without penalty, but no payment above the agreed amount.
That's a bunch of bs.

Old 02-16-2011, 06:19 PM
shaffras
Neutral
In Florida the general dealer processing fee is $699 regardless of brand. They took this off the price and in January the autos were free and they throw in a bag of goodies. This was on a 2011 Clubman andexcept for the run flats I love the car

Old 02-16-2011, 07:05 PM
siriuszero
6th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
Yeah, this is counter to what I've heard as well. In fact, I specifically asked my MA if I could pay extra every month to make that balloon payment a little less painful when it comes due, and he said that it wasn't a problem.

If you're looking at doing the MINI Select, I would recommend checking out PenFed's Auto Payment Saver program instead. It's a similar set up (lower monthly payments + balloon at the end) and the rates are a helluva lot lower (3.24% as opposed to the 6.9% MINI was asking).

That's the route I'm going, anyway...

Quick Reply: R60 Purchase Price Relative to MSRP