R60 :: Countryman Talk (2010-2015) R60 Cooper and Cooper S hatchback discussion NOT REPAIR RELATED Discussions.

R60 Purchase Price Relative to MSRP

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 01:14 PM
amanda@alexandermini
Former Vendor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
They dont trust me with any secrets they know I probably would tell them all.

Old 03-01-2011, 02:32 PM
asindc
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Bullydog
If you have an account at PenFed Credit Union, they have a buying service that works quite well. it's http://penfed.zag.com/main.html . I built a All-4 and the savings came to about $1300 off MSRP. They also give you the locations of who is willing to make the deal. The dealership will call you within hours of your submission. The dealership will get your "price certificate" so they know what you expect to pay.

When the bench seat option becomes available I will be using PenFed.zag.com
Also their new car auto loan rate is 2.99 right now. I hope it is that or better when I am ready to purchase.
That's a great deal. Wish I had known about before putting down my deposit yesterday. I got $750 through Costco. Actually, one dealer offered $1,000 off, but they are quite a drive from me and their fees would have eaten up the $250 difference. The dealer I ended up going to does not deal with Costco but offered the $750 discount as a BMW loyalty customer. My current M3 is my 3rd bimmer.

FWIW, I tried the Penfed site to see what deal I would have gotten. Two dealers showed up in the results. One is offering $1,788 off but they are 179 miles away, and the other is offering $1,588 off but they are 193 miles away. Did you get that deal from a DC/Balt dealer?

Old 03-01-2011, 03:26 PM
siriuszero
6th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
Sad...no PenFed auto discounts in my area for me...

I better be getting free accessories at least... geez...

Old 03-01-2011, 03:37 PM
Mavryk03
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by amanda@alexandermini
They dont trust me with any secrets they know I probably would tell them all.
you can become one of us, one of us, well im not one of them yet haven't got my mini working on it

Old 03-01-2011, 03:43 PM
amanda@alexandermini
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by Mavryk03
you can become one of us, one of us, well im not one of them yet haven't got my mini working on it
I think i was one of you before I was one of them I mean I did own one before I started selling them!

You are one of us as long as you are working on getting your MINI! BTW I saw you are in Indy I visited in September to watch "Manning VS Manning" im a colts fan!

Old 03-01-2011, 03:46 PM
rans09vert
3rd Gear
FamilyMan,

I thought the sport stripes were a no charge option, right? Maybe you ordered the JCW sport stripes? My dealer is throwing in floor mats, front and back, before I even asked, he just offered, along with a full tank of gas, and free ipod/USB adaptor. I got mine for 1000.00 below sticker, on an ordered car.

I just think the dealer had no intention of selling you the CM at 1900.00 off MSRP. I have never heard of any dealers going that much below sticker, not at this point in time. The car has only been available for 2 months. That is why they "forgot to add those things" and let you walk.

You know what they say, if a deal sounds too good to be true...

But hey, maybe I am wrong and you will work it out, good luck!

Old 03-01-2011, 04:06 PM
Mavryk03
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by amanda@alexandermini
I think i was one of you before I was one of them I mean I did own one before I started selling them!

You are one of us as long as you are working on getting your MINI! BTW I saw you are in Indy I visited in September to watch "Manning VS Manning" im a colts fan!
That a girl Go Colts, i bet you get alot of crap living in CA and being a colts fan. Yeah trying to get the CM, working on the m/pymt

Old 03-01-2011, 05:18 PM
FamilyMan
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by rans09vert
FamilyMan,

I thought the sport stripes were a no charge option, right? Maybe you ordered the JCW sport stripes? My dealer is throwing in floor mats, front and back, before I even asked, he just offered, along with a full tank of gas, and free ipod/USB adaptor. I got mine for 1000.00 below sticker, on an ordered car.

I just think the dealer had no intention of selling you the CM at 1900.00 off MSRP. I have never heard of any dealers going that much below sticker, not at this point in time. The car has only been available for 2 months. That is why they "forgot to add those things" and let you walk.

You know what they say, if a deal sounds too good to be true...

But hey, maybe I am wrong and you will work it out, good luck!

They're the sports strips on the accessories page in the configurator. They're a dealer installed option with a base price of $128...the dealer then charges additional labor to install them. They're certainly not freebies by default.

As for the deal being too good to be true, I must confess that I was stunned when this particular dealer gave me that price. They're part of a chain of dealerships in my area across several different manufacturers and have a reputation for high prices, low trade values and little interest in pricing to the market. I tried to buy from the Toyota dealer years ago and it was absurd how far off the market they were. It seems to work well for them though as they appear to have tapped into an endless supply of people who don't mind paying quite a bit more than they have to.

In any event, we'll see what the other dealer who made a similar offer has to say tomorrow. Hopefully he's not a weasel as well.

Last edited by FamilyMan; 03-02-2011 at 05:54 AM.
Old 03-02-2011, 06:43 AM
Mavryk03
3rd Gear
If you have an account at PenFed Credit Union, they have a buying service that works quite well. it's http://penfed.zag.com/main.html . I built a All-4 and the savings came to about $1300 off MSRP. They also give you the locations of who is willing to make the deal. The dealership will call you within hours of your submission. The dealership will get your "price certificate" so they know what you expect to pay.

Also their new car auto loan rate is 2.99 right now. I hope it is that or better when I am ready to purchase.
Like some other people on her when i bulit a mini on herr eveything was like was way to far away. Also i dont know why everyone thinks they have such a great loan program i did a calculation for $30k 60/m 2.99% apr and pymt is $538.93 , im trying to find a lower pymt and my MA has been working with me and so far im at $385 trying to get down some more without adding more $. My truck is $351 so was trying to stay around that or lower so got to keep working the angles

Old 03-02-2011, 07:05 AM
mtbscott
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Like some other people on her when i bulit a mini on herr eveything was like was way to far away. Also i dont know why everyone thinks they have such a great loan program i did a calculation for $30k 60/m 2.99% apr and pymt is $538.93 , im trying to find a lower pymt and my MA has been working with me and so far im at $385 trying to get down some more without adding more $. My truck is $351 so was trying to stay around that or lower so got to keep working the angles
Shopping for a car by payment is one of the biggest no-no's on earth. There is no free lunch. If you're borrowing $30K, you've still got to pay back $30K plus interest. Per your example, if $538 is too much for 60 months, the only way you're going to get to $385 is borrow for a much longer period (and pay more interest), put more down, or buy a cheaper car.

Old 03-02-2011, 07:59 AM
rsbell
4th Gear
Originally Posted by mtbscott
Shopping for a car by payment is one of the biggest no-no's on earth. There is no free lunch. If you're borrowing $30K, you've still got to pay back $30K plus interest. Per your example, if $538 is too much for 60 months, the only way you're going to get to $385 is borrow for a much longer period (and pay more interest), put more down, or buy a cheaper car.
This is SO right!

@Mavryk:

As a bankruptcy lawyer, I have seen literally THOUSANDS of people who bought cars, electronics, etc., solely on payment. That is a recipe for disaster, nevermind the fact that the dealership can (and probably will) work the loan in such a way that it may be the payment you want, but what they have to do to get that payment is guaranteed not to be in your best interest.

I don't know what your specific situation is, but if, in fact, your budget is such that you are a couple of hundred dollars away from financial trouble monthly, then maybe you should rethink your decision to borrow that much money right now.

If you're not in that situation, good for you for trying to be careful, but maybe re-think how you're being careful.

Good luck!

Old 03-02-2011, 08:27 AM
Mavryk03
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by rsbell
This is SO right!

@Mavryk:

As a bankruptcy lawyer, I have seen literally THOUSANDS of people who bought cars, electronics, etc., solely on payment. That is a recipe for disaster, nevermind the fact that the dealership can (and probably will) work the loan in such a way that it may be the payment you want, but what they have to do to get that payment is guaranteed not to be in your best interest.

I don't know what your specific situation is, but if, in fact, your budget is such that you are a couple of hundred dollars away from financial trouble monthly, then maybe you should rethink your decision to borrow that much money right now.

If you're not in that situation, good for you for trying to be careful, but maybe re-think how you're being careful.

Good luck!
I understand there is interest and all those fee's i was getting the $385 from mini if i did the mini select program i can do that but i would just like mt pymt down where my truck pymt is or a little lower, and my financial situation is pretty good just trying to get that last drop of blood out

Old 03-02-2011, 08:49 AM
mtbscott
6th Gear
I understand there is interest and all those fee's i was getting the $385 from mini if i did the mini select program i can do that but i would just like mt pymt down where my truck pymt is or a little lower, and my financial situation is pretty good just trying to get that last drop of blood out
You do know that MINI Select is a "leasing alternative" that involves a large balloon payment at the end? The payment is low because you're essentially only financing part of the total. When the balloon payment comes due, you have to either pay it, walk away with no car, or refinance it. If you choose the latter you will most likely end up paying for the car for way more years than necessary.

Old 03-02-2011, 09:00 AM
Mavryk03
3rd Gear
You do know that MINI Select is a "leasing alternative" that involves a large balloon payment at the end? The payment is low because you're essentially only financing part of the total. When the balloon payment comes due, you have to either pay it, walk away with no car, or refinance it. If you choose the latter you will most likely end up paying for the car for way more years than necessary.
Yaeh i understand the balloon pymt, might be putting down a large lump sum so just looking at pymt options i was talking with my grandfather about it so i will see what happens thanks for all your help

Old 03-02-2011, 09:42 AM
Lil Bigmini
1st Gear
Didn't think you could just "walk away" with the mini select? Thought you had to pay it one way or the other. Either make the balloon payment, refi, or trade it in and suck up the neg. equity (if there is any).

Old 03-02-2011, 11:39 AM
mtbscott
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Lil Bigmini
Didn't think you could just "walk away" with the mini select? Thought you had to pay it one way or the other. Either make the balloon payment, refi, or trade it in and suck up the neg. equity (if there is any).
Oops, you are correct. With Mini Select, the car is your's, you must complete the option. OwnersChoice is a what I was thinking of, it's a variation offered for Texas and other states where leasing laws are onerous. In that one, you have the walkaway option just like a lease.

Old 03-02-2011, 07:12 PM
BADS33D
Neutral

I did the same for my Countryman purchase. It's a great tool that a lot of people don't know about. The MSRP on my S came out to $31,700. With Penfed Zag, I got it for $30,282 ($1,418 off), and 2.99% interest rate.

Old 03-03-2011, 08:20 AM
FamilyMan
3rd Gear
So the deal has been struck and the order finally placed today.

As those of you who have been following the thread know, I had a nice deal all set with a local dealer @ 5.72% off MSRP but that fell through when they tried to get me to sign an order sheet that was missing the dealer installed options and then played the "I didn't realize..." game. Fortunately though I had a 2nd dealer not too far form my house who had put a similar deal on the table and was willing to stand behind it.

So, since this started as a thread about Purchase Price Relative to MSRP here are the details...

I'm now getting a smaller discount off MSRP (3.66%) but I'm getting a significantly better trade-in value and am paying lower dealer doc fees. So after calculating purchase $, tax, fees and trade-in, I'm paying the same from this dealer as I would have been from the one that was offering the 5.72% discount. Actually, I'm saving $3.43 but that will be eaten up in gas and tolls when I pick up the car...lol

Anyway, the order went in today and I'm now waiting anxiously for Mini to set my dates.

CM All4, Royal Grey, Black Roof/Mirrors, Dark Tobacco Color Line, Two-Part Center Rail, Xenon Headlights & White Turn Signal, Center Arm Rest, Heated Front Seats, Convenience Package, Premium Package, Black Sports Stripes, Roof Rack Base (all other part/color choices STD)

Old 03-03-2011, 08:23 AM
lindseybp
5th Gear
Glad it finally worked out for you! Now the waiting begins!

Old 03-03-2011, 10:21 AM
Mavryk03
3rd Gear
Good to hear you still got a deal, I'am working a deal on the one i want, ahhhhh the old wheeling and dealing

Old 03-17-2011, 08:48 PM
bradrulz
3rd Gear
Dealers near me in AZ are only offering $250 discount for PenFed. Penfed site doesn't give me any value, dealer called and told me this. As for a Costco discount I can't even get the local mini dealers to even return my call.

Old 03-17-2011, 10:25 PM
mayer020103
1st Gear
I just ordered my MCS and got $1600 under MSRP with no sales TAX. But there is a kicker. I had to join the military and move to Germany.

Old 03-18-2011, 05:41 AM
lindseybp
5th Gear
Originally Posted by mayer020103
I just ordered my MCS and got $1600 under MSRP with no sales TAX. But there is a kicker. I had to join the military and move to Germany.
You deserve the discount!

Old 03-18-2011, 06:48 AM
FamilyMan
3rd Gear
Couldn't agree more!!

Hopefully they'll give you some time off to drive it.

Old 03-18-2011, 12:55 PM
JudgeS
6th Gear
So mayer, is it US spec? I did not know Mini did European Pickup, share more details if you can.

Quick Reply: R60 Purchase Price Relative to MSRP