R60 :: Countryman Talk (2010-2015) R60 Cooper and Cooper S hatchback discussion NOT REPAIR RELATED Discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

R60 After 5k-Thoughts on the Countryman

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2018, 09:16 AM
Phranc68
2nd Gear
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
After 5k-Thoughts on the Countryman

After a month or so of ownership and 5K miles, a trip to the dealer for extensive repairs and curing some interior rattles I am starting to feel like a real Mini Owner.

I knew, generally, what I was getting. The car has compromises I had read about and was more than comfortable with. Road noise, interior rattles, cost of ownership, odd instrument layout etc....they did not catch me off guard.

I wanted a great driving experience, AWD capability and some personality and uniqueness and this car has not disappointed. I have choices of different routes home, all curvy and little used. Each trip back and forth is a joy. Now that I have the controls figured out it reminds of the cockpit controls of the planes my Dad flew me in as a kid. While the layout is not exactly traditional, they are all right there for the driver.

The safety elements of this car were important to me. I was driving home with my son the other night and a deer hopped out of the ditch right in front of us. I have never hit the brakes harder in my life. We stopped immediately in a composed but urgent fashion. We high-fived and shouted because we were so relieved. My son cussed out loud for the first time in front of me and I did not care.

Sometimes I just stop and look at it in my garage and plan next additions or tweaks. These forums are so helpful to learn how to do things and as importantly what not to do.

I am still early in my Mini experience but I love it so far. Do we have a secret wave or something?

Frank

Old 08-12-2018, 10:58 AM
MarioKart
Vendor
Received 115 Likes on 93 Posts
Welcome to the group. The Countryman is a great daily driver, but it can be a bit blan out of the box. The first thing I did was add my ECU tuning, downpipe, suspension and wheels. The car is dramatically different. Let me know if you are interested in making it faster, mean or handle better or all three.

Maeio

mQubed Motorsport Manic & RPM Power Tuning

Old 08-13-2018, 10:54 AM
MrGrumpy
6th Gear
Received 241 Likes on 207 Posts
Congrats on picking up a Countryman! I have a 2012 R60 S All4 that I just adore. It’s quirky, and that’s just right, lol. Good tours good to see another happy new owner. Like Mario mentioned above, and I’m sure you’ve noticed by, that they are quite heavy for the 1.6L engine and can feel a bit on the sluggish side. If you want more “get up and go” call Mario! He did an ECU tune on my Countryman and the difference is amazing. Get that thing tuned sooner than later, I don’t know why I waited! Now that I have a tune, I would never go back! I know it’s become a bit of a cliche, having everyone say “this is the way it should have come from the factory “ but I can tell you honestly, it’s really true. I’ve done some other small mods including a bigger turbo, but the single biggest gain in performance is the tune. No question. I’m very happy with it. Aside from performance, the next thing you should do is make it yours! Every Mini is just a little different, and each reflects its owner in how they have personalized them. Make it uniquely yours. And drive! Drive it like you stole it! Lol As I’m sure you have figured out they are a blast to drive and increasing the performance just makes them more fun. Glad to see another happy CM owner. Have fun and drive hard!

And yes, you’re in now...... so you will get the wave! Waving at other Mini’s is a friendly way to acknowledge another weirdo and is encouraged by most of us, my owners manual even has a note about the wave, lol. The “official “ Mini salute is a two fingered wave according to my manual, lol. I usually try to wave to other Mini’s when I see ‘em, especially other Countryman drivers.

Last edited by MrGrumpy; 08-13-2018 at 11:00 AM.
Old 08-13-2018, 11:34 AM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
Is 5K a month a normal driving amount for you? That's about a years worth for me.

As for the wave, I don't bother anymore as I am too busy looking for potholes and texting drivers. I'd rather avoid those two and sacrifice the wave.

The following users liked this post:
Phranc68 (08-15-2018)
Old 08-13-2018, 12:41 PM
ProjectMini
2nd Gear
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
My main man.
My r60 is giving me some hiccups right now. Its going in to dealer tomorrow Suspect HPFP. Enough of that. This was just the post I wanted/needed to read. I do love the car. Best daily I have ever had. I knew the issues upon purchase. Point is Your post reminded me that I do love the car. And this, like many others is just a hiccup along the route. No secret on the wave! JUST DO IT!
And laugh when people give you crazy looks.
Thats my move anyhow. Even been adding a honk in as of late.

The following users liked this post:
Phranc68 (08-15-2018)
Old 08-13-2018, 01:08 PM
MrGrumpy
6th Gear
Right on! I have had a few hiccups with the car myself. But it is the only vehicle I have ever owned that literally puts a smile on my face every single time I drive it. Since I got it tuned, I have been grinning like an idiot and when I turn sport mode on, the way it pops and bangs and burbles, I’ve been giggling like a schoolgirl! Lol. And crazy looks? All the time, ha ha! I’m fully catless with nothing but a straight pipe going from the flex pipe to the muffler. It pops like crazy, and I usually either get one of two different kinds of looks...... Either they give me a nod of acknowledgement (always dudes) or I get the classic disapproving frowns, lol. It cracks me up!
So you have a middle aged man driving a popcorn machine down the road, cackling like a maniac, while middle aged women give me dirty looks.... I swear I regress to about twelve years old when I drive it! That’s why I love it!

Old 08-13-2018, 07:42 PM
Phranc68
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by MarioKart
Welcome to the group. The Countryman is a great daily driver, but it can be a bit blan out of the box. The first thing I did was add my ECU tuning, downpipe, suspension and wheels. The car is dramatically different. Let me know if you are interested in making it faster, mean or handle better or all three.

Maeio

mQubed Motorsport Manic & RPM Power Tuning

Beautiful. Well done. I'll message you for mod advice. But for the sake of the thread, what would you prioritize first? Tune, tires or suspension?

Old 08-13-2018, 07:54 PM
Phranc68
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by MrGrumpy
Right on! I have had a few hiccups with the car myself. But it is the only vehicle I have ever owned that literally puts a smile on my face every single time I drive it. Since I got it tuned, I have been grinning like an idiot and when I turn sport mode on, the way it pops and bangs and burbles, I’ve been giggling like a schoolgirl! Lol. And crazy looks? All the time, ha ha! I’m fully catless with nothing but a straight pipe going from the flex pipe to the muffler. It pops like crazy, and I usually either get one of two different kinds of looks...... Either they give me a nod of acknowledgement (always dudes) or I get the classic disapproving frowns, lol. It cracks me up!
So you have a middle aged man driving a popcorn machine down the road, cackling like a maniac, while middle aged women give me dirty looks.... I swear I regress to about twelve years old when I drive it! That’s why I love it!
It is serious fun.

I was lucky with the negotiated price that I could afford a warranty. Made the sting of the first trip in for repairs no big deal. I am not getting a tune until the warranty runs out though....unless there is a reset button that will work if I need warranty coverage.

How much do you think your exhaust mods improve performance over just the tune? I get there is more to exhaust mods than just HP but curious your thoughts.

Old 08-13-2018, 08:16 PM
MrGrumpy
6th Gear
I would say tires... It’s really hard to drive without them

Old 08-15-2018, 12:59 PM
weaverpsu
5th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Phranc68
It is serious fun.

I was lucky with the negotiated price that I could afford a warranty. Made the sting of the first trip in for repairs no big deal. I am not getting a tune until the warranty runs out though....unless there is a reset button that will work if I need warranty coverage.

How much do you think your exhaust mods improve performance over just the tune? I get there is more to exhaust mods than just HP but curious your thoughts.
I'm sure he will answer you but you should just do a quick search for Stage 1, Stage 2 tune. I've been waiting to get mine but I've had some issues with my car. They replaced plugs and coils and now they are saying the clutch could be the issue to my latest complaints with just 28K miles on it. Hard for me to tune anything when I don't think its running properly to begin with....ugh.

Old 08-15-2018, 05:11 PM
MrGrumpy
6th Gear
I can understand why you are worried about warranty issues with a tune. Unfortunately, performance wise, that’s where it’s at. But for now, if you want more power but are worried about the warranty you can look at plug ins like the JB+or NM Power Module. I’m personally a little iffy on them because they just raise boost but don’t do anything to your AFR’s or timing. That said, I have never used one personally and a lot of people seem happy with them. It’s just a personal decision for me not to use one. The nice thing is that you can just unplug them before having the car serviced.
From what I’ve gathered, the general consensus on exhaust and intake mods is that they are mostly just for sound, with no significant performance gains by themselves. The sounds are awfully good though!

Old 08-15-2018, 07:13 PM
Phranc68
2nd Gear
Sorry to hear about your troubles, weaverpsu, I hope they resolve quickly and cheaply.

I have read a ton about the different options on ECU tunes for the Mini and for my previous car. I have read differing opinions about the performance improvements you get from Stage 1 style air intake and exhaust modifications, so thanks for your take, Mr. Grumpy.

I wouldn't mind a little more rumble and burble to be honest, it is going to have to be cat-back though....

Old 08-15-2018, 07:20 PM
MrGrumpy
6th Gear
I have a catless downpipe and the 2nd cat and resonator deleted. Even before the tune it made the pops much more pronounced. If you just want a little more volume and more pops, you can do the cat and res delete for pretty cheap. Some people throw a Magnaflow straight through muffler in their place for a deeper tone and less rasp.

Edit:
I should have said that you can hear them better. It won’t make it pop more...that’s a function of the ECU, but it’s certainly more noticeable.