R60 :: Countryman Talk (2010-2015) R60 Cooper and Cooper S hatchback discussion NOT REPAIR RELATED Discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

R60 Bluetooth and USB issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2018, 02:37 PM
user 8737738
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bluetooth and USB issues

Taking it to the dealer next week but seeing if anyone has had the same issues. 2016 Countryman S ALL4 with the nav system.

1. Bluetooth with phones suddenly just disconnects for no reason (but yet keeps the call). Contacts won't load from the phone. Tried two phones so I know it's the car. I did remove and re-add them both. Never had issues before and it just started one day and #2 started happening at the same time.

2. USB issues. Hard to explain but say I'm playing a podcast and get out of my car at the 5:00 minute mark. Go back in car and drive for 10 minutes so it's at 15:00. Go do something, come back to car, and now it's back to the 5:00 mark from before. Like it's totally forgetting where it was. It's done this on multiple USB sticks.

Thankfully it's under warranty but I think this will be a tricky one for them to figure out so any info I can give them ahead of time would be great.

Thanks,
Steve

Old 07-28-2018, 07:52 AM
mattyb13
3rd Gear
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
100% going to be tricky. I have a 2016 CM ALL4S. I have had intermittent issues similar to yours. Sometimes my Iphone 7 just does not communicate will with my car properly. I am wondering if it is a software/firmware update the dealer needs to do on your car?

Old 07-30-2018, 08:27 AM
user 8737738
Banned
Taking it in Thursday, we'll see. Still under warranty so I'll be on them for the next few years if it keeps happening. Thanks - Steve

Old 07-30-2018, 08:48 AM
MrGrumpy
6th Gear
Received 241 Likes on 207 Posts
Not sure if it’s any help at all, but in my ‘12 R60, sometimes when I have had it plugged in to the USB port, when I go back to Bluetooth it will only want to connect with my iPhone for calls. I hav to go into the sub menu and click configure device and choose audio manually that way for it to work. I doubt this is your problem, but...... thought I’d toss it out there

Old 07-30-2018, 09:15 AM
trouble1943
2nd Gear
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
My 2016 MCS is at the dealership for the fourth time for same issue. It's a minor issue but looking into lemon laws because given what I paid for the car, EVERYTHING SHOULD WORK all the time. Mine is a minor issue, but really annoying. My steering wheels volume control works fine. The "next track/last track" control started working intermitenltly a few months ago. Then stopped working. Almost put myself into a ditch a few times trying to find the next track dashboard control. (it works fine). First try was when car was in for annual oil change. Worked fine when I left. Next day nothing. Same thing two more trips. On third trip, they did an update to Mini software from Nov. 2017 and update to newest IOS on my iPhone 6. Worked fine when I drove home. Next day, nothing. I now have a loaner and they've had my car since Thursday. I keep telling them it is something in my car (bad control on wheel, bad circuit board, bad computer chip) because:

1. Phone works fine with all other cars, including the 3 loaners I've had.
2. Everyone is assuming software issue with phone. Paired and tried wife's phone and new IPad and they didn't work.

Finally got Service Manager on one of my calls and he finally said he thought it was something in the hardware in my car.

YAY! Finally going to get a thorough testing of all audio and steering wheel control parts. Hope your problem goes better than mine.

Yes, I know mine is a very minor complaint, but only one Mini dealer in my state ... which means no deals because they have a monopoly (unless I'm willing to drive or fly 500 miles to next clcosest dealer.

Old 07-31-2018, 07:11 AM
user 8737738
Banned
Ugh, that stinks. I hope mine isn't that much trouble. The service manager I talked to said they heard of issues but we'll see. They are a great service shop though and have never had any issues with them. I may show them this post so they know others are having problems.

It's definitely the car as both my wife's and my phone work in her Jeep.

Steve

Originally Posted by trouble1943
My 2016 MCS is at the dealership for the fourth time for same issue. It's a minor issue but looking into lemon laws because given what I paid for the car, EVERYTHING SHOULD WORK all the time. Mine is a minor issue, but really annoying. My steering wheels volume control works fine. The "next track/last track" control started working intermitenltly a few months ago. Then stopped working. Almost put myself into a ditch a few times trying to find the next track dashboard control. (it works fine). First try was when car was in for annual oil change. Worked fine when I left. Next day nothing. Same thing two more trips. On third trip, they did an update to Mini software from Nov. 2017 and update to newest IOS on my iPhone 6. Worked fine when I drove home. Next day, nothing. I now have a loaner and they've had my car since Thursday. I keep telling them it is something in my car (bad control on wheel, bad circuit board, bad computer chip) because:

2. Everyone is assuming software issue with phone. Paired and tried wife's phone and new IPad and they didn't work.

Finally got Service Manager on one of my calls and he finally said he thought it was something in the hardware in my car.

YAY! Finally going to get a thorough testing of all audio and steering wheel control parts. Hope your problem goes better than mine.

Yes, I know mine is a very minor complaint, but only one Mini dealer in my state ... which means no deals because they have a monopoly (unless I'm willing to drive or fly 500 miles to next clcosest dealer.

Old 07-31-2018, 07:12 AM
user 8737738
Banned
Thanks but I've never had any issues until now. I unpaired both our phones and thought the USB issue went away. But then I started up the car after work one day and the podcast was back where it was when I started in the morning. *shrug*

Steve

Originally Posted by MrGrumpy
Not sure if it’s any help at all, but in my ‘12 R60, sometimes when I have had it plugged in to the USB port, when I go back to Bluetooth it will only want to connect with my iPhone for calls. I hav to go into the sub menu and click configure device and choose audio manually that way for it to work. I doubt this is your problem, but...... thought I’d toss it out there

Old 08-07-2018, 01:23 PM
trouble1943
2nd Gear
Smile Update to "next button" on steering wheel control not working

UPDATE

So a week and a half ago, I took my Mini in for hardware testing and got a loaner (phone and "next track" work fine in loaner). Got a call yesterday. They have put $2,000 worth of new steering wheel control, circuit board and new HK radio in car and still doesn't work.*** They finally escalated and found a Mini service guy who told them he'd had several complaints and give him a minute to look them up. Turns out that the steering wheel audio controls ONLY work with ENHANCED MINI BLUETOOTH which can only be had with the NAVIGATION PACKAGE.

Going in tormorrow to meet with Service Mngr. and New Car Sales Mngr. (who may have an iTunes fix). When I get home, I'm going to try usb from phone to car and see if steering wheel control works that way. Just got off phone with a friend who eats, sleeps and breaths lemon law. He said even though Mini dealer didn't know about need for enhanced bluetooth, if I'd like to bring him my records for the three prior visits for phone control isssues, he'd gladly write Mini USA. Won't involve dealership and said they may offer nothing .... BUT, just to avoid publiucity and legal fees, may come up with 3=4 thousand to keep me happy. More to come.

*** All this extra effort and new parts came after I dropped off the car (fourth time) and half jokingly told service mngr and service advisor it would be great if they couldn't fix ir, since it was fourth time and there was a nice red mini s with black wheels and stripes that I'd be happy to trade for under the lemon laws.

Old 08-07-2018, 01:37 PM
MrGrumpy
6th Gear
Keep us updated. I hope they get it taken care of for you.

Old 08-08-2018, 10:24 AM
trouble1943
2nd Gear
2nd and final update to "next button" on steering wheel control not working

UPDATE

So a week and a half ago, I took my Mini in for hardware testing and got a loaner (phone and "next track" work fine in loaner). Got a call yesterday. They have put $2,000 worth of new steering wheel control, circuit board and new HK radio in car and still doesn't work.*** They finally escalated and found a Mini service guy who told them he'd had several complaints and give him a minute to look them up. Turns out that the steering wheel audio controls ONLY work with ENHANCED MINI BLUETOOTH which can only be had with the NAVIGATION PACKAGE.

Going in tormorrow to meet with Service Mngr. and New Car Sales Mngr. (who may have an iTunes fix). When I get home, I'm going to try usb from phone to car and see if steering wheel control works that way. Just got off phone with a friend who eats, sleeps and breaths lemon law. He said even though Mini dealer didn't know about need for enhanced bluetooth, if I'd like to bring him my records for the three prior visits for phone control isssues, he'd gladly write Mini USA. Won't involve dealership and said they may offer nothing .... BUT, just to avoid publiucity and legal fees, may come up with 3=4 thousand to keep me happy. More to come.

*** All this extra effort and new parts came after I dropped off the car (fourth time) and half jokingly told service mngr and service advisor it would be great if they couldn't fix ir, since it was fourth time and there was a nice red mini s with black wheels and stripes that I'd be happy to trade for under the lemon laws.
UPDATE #2
So I picked up my Mini and had a nice chat with new car mngr. He drives a Mini w/o nav and keeps his iphone plugged in. Next Track in his car works fine all the time. Other option is to put songs on a usb stick and leave it in car. Hard wired and mini has a usb device option ... also works perfect since it's "hard wired" and not going over air waves. They all thanked me for my patience and SWMBO (She Who Must Be Obeyed) won't let me pursue possible lemon law. Her rationale is they tried everything they could and we're on good terms, so why burn bridges behind me. Word will get back to them and my future treatment may not be as nice when they get word of the claim. So, I guess alls well that ends well.

And again, for those having bluetooth problems with steering wheel controls, USB or plug phone into usb port and problem solved.

Last edited by trouble1943; 08-08-2018 at 01:11 PM.
Old 08-09-2018, 09:59 AM
user 8737738
Banned
Update on my situation: Took it to the dealer, there was an error code fault and a software update. Weirdly, the version numbers are all the same as when I dropped it off but the service sheet shows that they did do it. They also said they had to call Mini for troubleshooting. Anyway, got in the car, same exact issues. Got home and my wife's phone was now working (both phones are the same, Google Pixel). Did a reset of my phone and it's all working now. No idea why hers worked after the update but mine didn't but they are both working now. Hopefully it will stay that way.

Thanks all and hope everyone else with issues gets it resolved!
Steve

Old 08-09-2018, 12:01 PM
MrGrumpy
6th Gear
Good deal. Glad to hear that you got it all resolved