Navigation & Audio Audio upgrades, bluetooth, and navigation discussions surrounding the Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Navigation & Audio MP3 USB Stick Works Great in USB Connector

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2007, 01:49 PM
roathd
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MP3 USB Stick Works Great in USB Connector

I received my new MCS on Friday, 16 Nov 07. I ordered the phone package with blue tooth and have a USB connector as well as the stereo plug jack hidden under the environmental controls. I plugged in my USB 4G standard flash drive with 3 G of MPS songs on it into the USB connector. It works great. The system uploaded my music and displays each songs title on the radio screen. No need for an expensive IPOD or cable.

Keep on rocking in the free world.

Last edited by roathd; 11-19-2007 at 01:25 PM.
Old 11-18-2007, 03:11 PM
Wolfshiem
3rd Gear
This is interesting news. What build week is your MCS?

Old 11-18-2007, 09:36 PM
TheOfficeMaven
6th Gear
Actually, the real question is whether or not it's a US spec MINI, and if so, was it delivered in the U.S. or overseas? I'll bet good money that it's not/wasn't.

Old 11-18-2007, 09:42 PM
ScottRiqui
OVERDRIVE
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Do you have to organize the songs any particular way, or did you just dump 3GB of music files into the root directory of the flash drive?

Also, is there any support for playlists on USB drives, or searching for a particular song/artist?

Old 11-19-2007, 01:50 AM
ajabbari
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by roathd
I received my new MCS on Friday, 16 Nov 07. I ordered the phone package with blue tooth and have a USB connector as well as the stereo plug jack hidden under the environmental controls. I plugged in my USB s4 G tandard flash drive with 3 G of MPS songs on it into the USB connector. It works great. The system uploaded my music and displays each songs title on the radio screen. No need for an expensive IPOD or cable.

Keep on rocking in the free world.

Well, as cool as this would be, it would also be a bit of a bummer for me since I opted for the port-installed ipod adapter on my Mini, and from my understanding this would essentially make that redundant (since you're supposed to be able to connect an iPod to it too).

So as the previous poster asked, is this a US spec Mini, and did you see any mention of a USB connector on your order. It would be dissapointing to say the least if I find out I spent the additional $ and had the port guys needlessly mess around with the car's dash and electronics to install something that was already integrated with the car from the factory.

Old 11-19-2007, 04:41 AM
KsharK
1st Gear
From another thread...

I just got my VIN number today and it will be here in Germany on the 21 Nov 07. Any luck with your VIN number?

Old 11-19-2007, 01:16 PM
roathd
1st Gear
It was built on 29 Oct 2007.

DR

Old 11-19-2007, 01:17 PM
roathd
1st Gear
You would lose your good money. It is a US SPEC MCS.

Old 11-19-2007, 01:20 PM
roathd
1st Gear
I transfered all my songs in ACC format from my ITUNES folder on my lap top. You can make play list and open the list and play the album or songs from that list as well. I tried it both ways. One a direct copy and paste. The 2 way was to create a Album folder copy and paste.

DR

Old 11-19-2007, 01:23 PM
roathd
1st Gear
The USB port comes with the blue tooth package and I also upgraded the hi-fi. It would cost me about 60 dollars for the IPOD connector cable from Mini so the USB stick was the better deal and integrates directly with my radio controls. I got a small stick that hides nicely out of the way.

Old 11-19-2007, 08:42 PM
Warped1966
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi roathd,

I have the blue tooth package on my 3/07 build MCS along with the Hi-Fi. Where did you find the USB connector in your Mini and would mine have one at all? Any more details would be great too! Thanks!

Jeff

Old 11-19-2007, 09:15 PM
nicknbecka
6th Gear
@Jeff - The USB ports have only been added to cars outside of the US market, and even then only from builds past August. If you notice the quote in post #6 above, this was a German delivered MINI.

Old 11-20-2007, 06:02 AM
RobSpook
1st Gear
When using the USB port with a memory stick, it allows you to navigate the file structure. So if you have a bunch of music, you may want to make a base folder for it ("Music") and then folders in that one with the artist name, etc... This will allow you to organize the music.

... Additionally, for iPod owners, BMW makes a $50 cable with a dock connector on one end, a small black box, and a USB connector/AUX cable on the other end that allows you complete control of the iPod from the head unit.

Using the iPod will force you to create playlists, because if you just go to "artists" and you want to find "Nickelback", it takes A LOT of turning the wheel on the head unit. There's no fast scroll... This is the ONLY thing I don't like about the iPod cable.

I'm crossing my fingers that BMW somehow incorporates the phone book "select-a-letter" style navigation to the iPod controls.

Old 11-20-2007, 06:14 AM
COOP310
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So this is a US Spec MINI delivered in Germany, most likely to military personel? I am guessing that this means that it is a German Spec MINI that complies with US DOT laws.

Still it would be nice if my MINI shows up in a week or two with the USB port installed.

Old 11-20-2007, 06:37 AM
phantasms
5th Gear
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
I just picked up my mini the 15th. Looking in the manual I noticed something about a USB and aux port stuffed behind the environment controls. I reached down and felt something there. Didnt feel like getting on my knees with a flashlight to see what the deal was. Also the USB port seemed so close to the wall I didnt think it would fit my 4gig sandisk. In light of this new information. I think we all know what ill be doing after work today. Ill report back.

Old 11-20-2007, 08:31 AM
ajabbari
2nd Gear
Let us know.... I'm sure I could still find uses for the USB port if mine ends up with one too, but it will sort of obsolete my iPod adapter. I guess maybe the advantage of the iPod adapter would be that it allows me to keep the iPod out of sight. I wonder if the USB interface suffers from the same file system limitations that the iPod adapters do. Many questions... guess I'll know the answers soon enough.

Old 11-20-2007, 08:32 AM
nicknbecka
6th Gear
Originally Posted by phantasms
I just picked up my mini the 15th. Looking in the manual I noticed something about a USB and aux port stuffed behind the environment controls. I reached down and felt something there. Didnt feel like getting on my knees with a flashlight to see what the deal was. Also the USB port seemed so close to the wall I didnt think it would fit my 4gig sandisk. In light of this new information. I think we all know what ill be doing after work today. Ill report back.
The manuals have been updated with the USB info (along with the optional equipment disclaimer asterisk), but the cars aren't being delivered with the USB ports yet. When I first ordered my car, my MA didn't know when the USB ports would be added into production for US cars- when I picked up, I checked again and he confirmed that they had been delayed along with the auto-up windows.

The AUX port is available however, so that's what you're feeling down there. Can't hurt to check though

Old 11-20-2007, 01:39 PM
roathd
1st Gear
My MCS is a US Spec car it would be the same if it was shipped by boat to the US. I work for the US government overseas and we order US Spec cars that meet the same US specifications as if you ordered the car in the US from any Mini dealer. The USB port is right next to the aux port plug for the IPOD underneath the center console directly behind the lighter and up.

Old 11-20-2007, 01:44 PM
phantasms
5th Gear
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
My MCS is a US Spec car it would be the same if it was shipped by boat to the US. I work for the US government overseas and we order US Spec cars that meet the same US specifications as if you ordered the car in the US from any Mini dealer. The USB port is right next to the aux port plug for the IPOD underneath the center console directly behind the lighter and up.
Yeah I'd swear I felt something else next to the aux.

nicknbecka...Realize I got my car last week so maybe they already made that change. I haven't checked to see if auto-up works but I'll find out about that tonight as well.

Old 11-20-2007, 01:46 PM
roathd
1st Gear
We get the same US Spec Mini here in Germany that you guys order in the US. No difference in the build. I cannot import a European Spec Mini into the US without investing additional money to retro fit the car. So the discussion about the Spec being different because I work overseas or it was delivered in Germany is moot. From talking to the factory all US Spec Mini's that were produced from Sept 07 on and you ordered the Convenience package or blue tooth will have the USB port right next to the IPOD aux plug. It has a sliding door and I did have to crawl under the steering wheel to locate it.

DR

Old 11-20-2007, 01:47 PM
roathd
1st Gear
There is a sliding door on the USB port, just slide it over and there it is.

Old 11-20-2007, 01:50 PM
roathd
1st Gear
The MCS Audio manual states that up to 20000 title can to be uploaded. I can see my song list by artist, album or title of song. They are all in the ITunes ACC format.

Old 11-20-2007, 01:55 PM
nicknbecka
6th Gear
So far, that hasn't been the case- there's been reports of cars built since August that include the USB port, but they've all been outside of the US.

I wish it were true, however- cause then I'd have one.

Last edited by nicknbecka; 11-20-2007 at 01:59 PM.
Old 11-20-2007, 02:06 PM
nicknbecka
6th Gear
Originally Posted by phantasms
nicknbecka...Realize I got my car last week so maybe they already made that change. I haven't checked to see if auto-up works but I'll find out about that tonight as well.
Like I said- can't hurt to check! My car's not too old either (week 39), and I've been paying pretty close attention for any news of it, since I'd been hoping to have it for my car as well.

All of the previous press announcements including the USB port have been European-market specific. Granted, I've heard that MINI does have a reputation of just making the change and letting people figure it out when the car gets there.

Edit: By the way- I like your car

Last edited by nicknbecka; 11-20-2007 at 02:09 PM.
Old 11-20-2007, 07:36 PM
sancochojoe
4th Gear
Interesting...I'm week 46.

Quick Reply: Navigation & Audio MP3 USB Stick Works Great in USB Connector