R60 :: Countryman Talk (2010-2015) R60 Cooper and Cooper S hatchback discussion NOT REPAIR RELATED Discussions.

R60 Engine Fan

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 05:20 PM
spaner
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine Fan

Hi folks

I am assuming its normal but my cooling fan appears to keep running after most trips. It is sort of freaking me out as my car always smells sort of hot. Maybe I am just being paranoid as i don't have a temperature gauge. I have not been really getting after the throttle

"environmental conditions"
Live in MD where it bloody cold and have over 1000 miles now

any facts or anecdotal info would be appreciated

supposed to get 6-10 inches of snow tomorrow so I might get chance for some tail out fun...

Old 01-25-2011, 05:49 PM
Miniblue2
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That is normal, especially when the engine is hot. It stops after a minute or two. I always assumed when it didn't run after I parked I wasn't pushing hard enough.

Old 01-25-2011, 06:10 PM
spaner
3rd Gear
Ha Ha - drive it like you stole it!!!!!

Looking forward to stomping on it now that I have reached 4 figures - I still think I might need some tweaks as it is a bit softer response wise than I would like

Old 01-25-2011, 07:34 PM
magpullin
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A related post that sheds some light....

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ff-normal.html

Old 01-25-2011, 07:49 PM
CFRM
2nd Gear
On the second day of ownership coming back from a 10 mile ride I shut off the car and noticed the fan stayed on. Thinking it would shut down eventually I walked away. Three hours later one of my neighbors pointed out that it was still running. Sent it immediatley to the dealership and their diagnostic was that the car had "error codes". They reprogrammed it and I haven't had problems since then. They also assured me that for the fan to suffer any damage it would need a lot more time than 3 hours.

Cheers!

Old 01-26-2011, 05:42 PM
03mini-S
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by spaner
Hi folks

I am assuming its normal but my cooling fan appears to keep running after most trips. It is sort of freaking me out as my car always smells sort of hot. Maybe I am just being paranoid as i don't have a temperature gauge. I have not been really getting after the throttle

"environmental conditions"
Live in MD where it bloody cold and have over 1000 miles now

any facts or anecdotal info would be appreciated

supposed to get 6-10 inches of snow tomorrow so I might get chance for some tail out fun...
OK, first of all are you driving an S? Secondly, are you absolutely sure you are hearing the cooling fan living in cold MD????? My '03's fan would not run unless it was warm out and I had been sitting in traffic.
If you are driving an S, there is a pump that runs after you shut the car off. It's set on a timer and is used to keep the oil circulating to cool it down and prevent it from burning. This pump will be much quieter than a cooling fan. A MINI cooling fan will be loud enough to hear it about 50 feet from the car.
In the old days, you were supposed to let your turbo idle for a few minutes before shutting the engine off.

Old 10-14-2013, 11:37 AM
TJANK
4th Gear
Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
I found this old post on a engine fan that keeps running after I turn off the engine. I have the same occasional fan remaining on issue and wondered if others have the same ocurrance? Is this normal? My MA told me it is normal to have the fan run for a minute or two after I turn of the engine. I did not verify whether the fan staying on is a turbo fan circulating the oil or just the engine fan. Next, time I quess I should wait to see how long it remains on.

Old 10-14-2013, 12:13 PM
watchluvr4ever
3rd Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I had the same thing happen in my 2010 Cooper S. I had my car less than a week and one day when I got home the fan kept running. I went outside about 30 minutes later and it was still running. I did a quick search online that said to tap on the fan relay in the fuse box because sometimes they get stuck. That didn't help so I unplugged the relay and my fan shut off. After I plugged the relay back in my car wouldn't start because the fan ran down my battery too much. I had it towed to the Mini dealer and they said the couldn't replicate the problem. I only had that happen once in the three years I owned the car.

Old 10-14-2013, 06:10 PM
mini_z
3rd Gear
i had the same issue with 2011 all4 it was cold outside and the fan came on, after car was turned off. It was the thermostat sensor that went bad.
So i install a Scan gaugeII. When it happen again the scan gauge showed temp of 414 . I just re-set the error code and all was ok.