R60 :: Countryman Talk (2010-2015) R60 Cooper and Cooper S hatchback discussion NOT REPAIR RELATED Discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

R60 MINI Connected: Can you connect an iPod and an iPhone simultaneously?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 02:03 PM
Midnight Blue
6th Gear
Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts
MINI Connected: Can you connect an iPod and an iPhone simultaneously?

I use an 80GB iPod to store virtually my entire CD library compressed to MP3 format at 256kbps. I would like to be able to plug my iPod in to the MINI Connected system and leave it there for access to my music library.

While I don't own an iPhone yet, I intend on getting one (when they are released by Verizon) and would like to use it in the Countryman as well for making calls and using the MINI Connected app (streaming Pandora, web radio, Google Local, etc.).

Is it possible to interface both devices simultaneously? How does the system manage device selection? Anyone try this yet?

Last edited by Midnight Blue; 01-05-2011 at 02:28 PM.
Old 01-05-2011, 02:24 PM
drew@southbaymini
Former Vendor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
you wont have any issues as far as making calls and stuff I am not sure about pandora or webradio and the connected app.

I am wiating on a call back from my factory rep and as soon as I find out if it is possible I will let you know!

Old 01-05-2011, 02:33 PM
Midnight Blue
6th Gear
For my purposes, this would require two USB interfaces to MINI Connected, I think...

Old 01-05-2011, 02:33 PM
Nimrandir
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
mmmmmmmm i think that there's a chance if u have the armrest with the predisposition for the mobile........ But not sure....

Old 01-05-2011, 08:46 PM
Island maser
5th Gear
I would think ipod through the USB and the Iphone either throught the armrest or wireless Bluetooth. My Droid works great through Bluetooth and voice commands and all work great. I dont have an Iphone yet either.
Hopping for an Android APP soon.

Old 01-06-2011, 03:51 AM
Midnight Blue
6th Gear
For the Connected app to work I suspect the iPhone must be connected via USB to the system. Bluetooth would work just to make calls. Is there a second USB port in the armrest or is that a proprietary connector for their phone cradle insert?

Old 03-20-2011, 12:01 AM
Longley01
1st Gear
Where you able to get both your iPhone (via bluetooth or adapter) and iPod (USB; either glovebox or easy accessible USB near the armrest) working simultaneously?

Old 07-25-2011, 08:46 PM
Jennilinde
Neutral
Hi all, I just bought my first MINI COOPER hardtop, 2009. It is being certified so I will not be picking it up for probably over a week :( Anyway, my question is: I have an old 5th generation 40GB ipod I still love and my iphone 4 (i do not use for listening to music). I have the bluetooth/ipod interface thingy (the usb/aux inputs) and I need a Y cord I am hoping the dealership will give me. So, can I connect my iphone via bluetooth to make calls and the ipod to hear music simultaneously? This would be great if it all works properly...been reading many folks can't connect properly, this makes me sad! I hope mine works! I can't wait to get my mini!!

Old 07-25-2011, 09:41 PM
cprcrazy
1st Gear
Why would you want to use an iPhone and iPod together? Seems so difficult with the USB/aux cable. I just use my iPhone - with my music collection- so I only need one device and connect this with the MINI cable to the USB/aux input. I can listen to my albums, answering or making phone calls at the same time. Or maybe I don't understand the problem.

Last edited by cprcrazy; 07-25-2011 at 09:41 PM. Reason: Error
Old 07-26-2011, 02:35 AM
Aether
1st Gear
Originally Posted by cprcrazy
Why would you want to use an iPhone and iPod together? Seems so difficult with the USB/aux cable. I just use my iPhone - with my music collection- so I only need one device and connect this with the MINI cable to the USB/aux input. I can listen to my albums, answering or making phone calls at the same time. Or maybe I don't understand the problem.

Some of us have large music collections that won't fit on the smaller storage of an IPhone.

Old 07-26-2011, 08:24 AM
Jennilinde
Neutral
Yes I have a very large music collection (40GB on my trusty old iPod) and my iPhone is completely separate. I prefer it this way. So can I use them both simultaneously? Phone via bluetooth and iPod via usb/aux? This is my question Thank you so much.

Old 07-26-2011, 08:32 AM
cprcrazy
1st Gear
Gotcha!
But you can listen just one at a time! Mine is a 16 gb iPhone but there is always bigger like a 32gb. That will take you for a long trip !

Old 07-26-2011, 08:35 AM
cprcrazy
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Jennilinde
Yes I have a very large music collection (40GB on my trusty old iPod) and my iPhone is completely separate. I prefer it this way. So can I use them both simultaneously? Phone via bluetooth and iPod via usb/aux? This is my question Thank you so much.
I have both and I will try it later to see if that works, ok? Or if someone already knows if that works we'll read about it. I will post later!

Old 07-26-2011, 08:41 AM
Jennilinde
Neutral
Awesome! Thank you so much! I have a lot of apps on my 16G iPhone, no room for my music too

Old 07-26-2011, 11:41 AM
cprcrazy
1st Gear
Hi Jennilinde
I just came back from a ride, plugged in the iPod and had my iPhone in my purse. I was able to listen to the iPod songs as well to make calls through Bluetooth. Of course, music pauses/mutes when you make a call. I tried both cabes, MINI cable (which also recharges the iPod same time) and then just the AUX cable. No matter which one you use, you would still be able to see the songs/artists playing on the tachometer display screen :-)
So have fun with it!!

Old 07-26-2011, 09:00 PM
Jennilinde
Neutral
Smile

Wow! Thank you so much for doing that for me! I am so excited to get my car, and I am kind of a techy freak, so I'm very excited to play with all the options. I was searching for answers to this, so now I know I can pick up the car with both my devices, pair, plug, and go! Yay! Now if only the next week would go by quicker! Thank you again!

Old 07-26-2011, 09:13 PM
cprcrazy
1st Gear
You're welcome! I was kind of curious too ;-) Oh you would soooo love your Cooper! I got mine almost two months ago. I have wanted a MINI since 2003! It is so much fun, not to compare with any other car. Post pictures, ok?

Old 07-28-2011, 11:58 AM
KiwiRob
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Longley01
Where you able to get both your iPhone (via bluetooth or adapter) and iPod (USB; either glovebox or easy accessible USB near the armrest) working simultaneously?
Is the USB port in the glovebox an extra, or do you get it if you have the USB under the armrest?

Old 07-28-2011, 12:01 PM
Sealy
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by KiwiRob
Is the USB port in the glovebox an extra, or do you get it if you have the USB under the armrest?
The glove box usb is for software update only. Not even sure if it will charge.

Old 07-28-2011, 06:18 PM
Jennilinde
Neutral
Smile

Originally Posted by cprcrazy
You're welcome! I was kind of curious too ;-) Oh you would soooo love your Cooper! I got mine almost two months ago. I have wanted a MINI since 2003! It is so much fun, not to compare with any other car. Post pictures, ok?
I sure will! This has been one long week! Bought the car last Saturday, it should be ready hopefully 'midweek' next week...(so probably another week!)
I am glad I bought the 6 speed, I'm excited to drive a stick again, thus the need for bluetooth and ipod integration