R59 :: Roadster Talk (2012+) MINI Roadster (R59) discussion

R59 All about your roadster today!

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2015, 07:32 PM
TG.
6th Gear
Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
All about your roadster today!

I thought we could start a thread on anything about our roadsters for the day. I'll start even though it's not the most fun start I would have hoped...

Good day / Bad day
I knew one of the biggest life's lesson that can be learned is that one can order someone to do something, but one cannot force someone to care...

Today I go an email saying the custom cover for my spare wheel project was on its way which I got pretty excited . . . shortly after that I got a text from my wife asking me to call her. It turns out that with a friend they rear ended each other's car on a parking lot. It's now the second time around in about 3 months I have to fix the same bumper (granted the first time truly was not her fault).
I feel so frustrated right now, not just because I had just spent a tone of time and energy a little over two month ago to get the car fixed with the insurance and everything..., but also because I can't force her to care enough to pay more attention

To this day I don't understand how people can back into someone else unless they just aren't paying enough attention!

Old 06-12-2015, 05:32 AM
Gil-galad
Coordinator :: Eastern Iowa MINIs
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by TG.
"...they rear ended each other's car on a parking lot."
Trying to wrap my brain around how this could happen...

Old 06-13-2015, 11:47 AM
TG.
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Gil-galad
Trying to wrap my brain around how this could happen...
exactly . . . as well... Well, I know she doesn't like to turned her head around to look back and imo rely too much on the mirrors which can easily lead to this sort of incident when not paying enough attention to look in everyone of them repeatedly. To me I always turn my all body around when I pull back no mater what car... and I'v never been near where close to ever hitting something this way.

. . . I'll just get it fixe and move on as quickly as possible...

Last edited by TG.; 06-17-2015 at 07:29 AM.
Old 06-17-2015, 07:02 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,966 Likes on 1,766 Posts
Sorry to hear this :( I know you worked very hard on fixing it then the new tire mount design.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 06-17-2015, 01:22 PM
spiney
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
My son backed my wife's Beetle into my R56 a few years ago. Just less than the deductible on both cars. Not happy...

Old 06-17-2015, 02:40 PM
hsautocrosser
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
My wife backed her Jetta into my Roadster in the driveway and she has a backup camera. Oh wait, what happens in Vegas...

Old 06-18-2015, 02:42 PM
RottVet
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Condolences as well. To be fair, the 6 o'clock view is quite restricted in this car. Maybe rear parking sensors could be of help? I am thankful my MA ordered them on my ride.

Old 06-18-2015, 02:51 PM
TG.
6th Gear
Thanks folks!

Originally Posted by RottVet
Condolences as well. To be fair, the 6 o'clock view is quite restricted in this car. Maybe rear parking sensors could be of help? I am thankful my MA ordered them on my ride.
ps: She has rear park assist . . . but when two vehicles are in motion I don't think it matters much... even if she may have heard and see the other car by the time she pulled out enough it was probably already over. It would have required both to see it soon enough I'm guessing enough.

Old 06-18-2015, 02:54 PM
Angib
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A school friend lived in a remote country house with a long, rutted drive so cars would pretty much steer themselves in the ruts in dry weather. One day, Dad was driving out and met Mum driving in, not looking where she was going, having turned round to talk to the kids while the car steered itself. Dad claimed he had already stopped and engaged reverse when the impact occurred, but he didn't think to use his horn. Of course having both cars in the body shop was not ideal - in the 1960s in Britain, a 'courtesy car' or loan car was still in the future. After that, they always looked....

Old 06-18-2015, 03:10 PM
RottVet
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TG.
Thanks folks!

ps: She has rear park assist . . . but when two vehicles are in motion I don't think it matters much... even if she may have heard and see the other car by the time she pulled out enough it was probably already over. It would have required both to see it soon enough I'm guessing enough.
Oh my! This is way beyond tragic! I am about to bawl too! Here's hoping for a quick and competent repair on your baby!

Old 09-05-2015, 09:51 AM
TG.
6th Gear
Two things happened this week:

one I got a paint problem fixed only to trade it for an other... I won't go into details but I had the body shop repaint our front bumper because some paint was peeling off in a none visible area (I was afraid would worsen, only to find out that rather then touch-up that area they repainted the whole bumper. The quality is great BUT the problem is that I had this custom piece of vinyl on the front. Rather then calling me (to which I would have said just peel it off, it's of no importance) they painted around it leaving a not so perfect transition. it's okay, I'm redoing the vinyl piece and it will look fine but geez people, just call me for crying out loud

I don't know why these places simply can't call you when ever they have "any questions" or doubts about something?!
It will be fine. I'm too much of a perfectionist

Meanwhile I got to ride a new MINI 2 doors hard top for 5 days.
It was interesting all around. My initial impression was pretty good. The interior is more plush and of marginally better quality. The engine is quite a bit smoother and you can definitely feel that it's more powerful. The power recovery after quick slow down is very good.
The 3 modes (green, normal, and sport) is nice, but the sport mode is a definite gas guzzler from looking at how much gas I was using for the little distance I did.
While I like to save on gas in some condition, the auto shut off at stops is a little irritating since the engine start isn't that smooth however.
The car feels heavier which isn't great in quick turns, and I was a little bothered by the heavy front looking nose view from the inside of the car. But overall the car is quick and I still liked it. I definitely felt you would get a better value for your money for those looking at that aspect more so than other aspects.

Now having said all this I have to say, roadster "motorers", when I sat in the roadster again it really made me happy and brought a huge smile on my face . The roadster felt so nice to drive and you get all this response from the sound of the engine and the exhaust, the body responds so much better even at standard suspension height we have, so much that the interior differences and tech stuff fades away in my mind. The experience is really priceless in comparison. I would still consider a new platform MINI roadster or convertible in the futur, since my experience was nice but it definitely renewed my loyalty in our Roadster. We're going to hang on to that little guy

Last edited by TG.; 09-06-2015 at 06:51 AM.
Old 09-05-2015, 11:05 AM
spiney
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
All about your roadster today!

Originally Posted by TG.
Meanwhile I got to ride a new MINI 2 doors hard top for 5 days.
It was interesting all around. My initial impression was pretty good. The interior is more plush and of marginally better quality. The engine is quite a bit smoother and you can definitely feel it's more powerful. The power recovery after quick slow down is very good.
The 3 mods (green, normal, and sport) is nice, but the sport mode is a definite gas guzzler for looking at how much gas I was using for the little distance I did.
While I like to save on gas in some condition, the auto shut off at stops is a little irritating since the engine start isn't that smooth however.
The car feels heavier which isn't great in quick turns, and I was a little bothered by the heavy front looking nose view from the inside of the car. But overall the car is quick and I still liked it. I definitely felt you would get a better value for your money for those looking at that aspect more so than other aspects.

Now having said all this I have to say, roadster "motorers", when I sat in the roadster again it really made me happy and brought a huge smile on my face . The roadster felt so nice to drive and you get all this response from the sound of the engine and the exhaust, the body responds so much better even at standard suspension height we have, so much that the interior differences and tech stuff fades away in my mind. The experience is really priceless in comparison. I would still consider a new platform MINI roadster or convertible in the futur, since my experience was nice but it definitely renewed my loyalty in our Roadster. We're going to hang on to that little guy
Your impressions are very similar to mine when I got a 3rd gen as a loaner: probably a better car, but I'll keep my Roadster, if it's all the same to you.

Old 09-06-2015, 05:25 AM
Gil-galad
Coordinator :: Eastern Iowa MINIs
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by spiney
Your impressions are very similar to mine when I got a 3rd gen as a loaner: probably a better car, but I'll keep my Roadster, if it's all the same to you.
+2

Old 07-29-2020, 02:53 PM
TG.
6th Gear
I didn't want to start a new thread to avoid clutter so I thought I'd revive this one!

Here is what I got in the mail. Pretty excited to rejuvenate the steering wheel and get that new car feel there.
Hopefully I'll find better, more gentle ways, to clean the steering wheel while not abusing the leather... I picked this up before I could no longer find it!

Thx Mike @ ECS tunning for making this possible...

The following users liked this post:
ECSTuning (08-03-2020)
Old 07-29-2020, 02:56 PM
TG.
6th Gear
Now I only need to find a way to refresh the center logo that is fading a little on the old airbag center piece...

Old 07-30-2020, 05:45 PM
minidd99
3rd Gear
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
Does this color match your interior?
It looks sharp.

Old 07-30-2020, 07:39 PM
TG.
6th Gear
Yes it does. It's a direct replacement to the MINI yours soda color scheme we picked when we got the car.
It has been 7 years we've had the car and it's a nice refresh. It has that new car feel

It is really the first time I'm changing a steering wheel on a car. However the roadster is worth it and we intend to keep it for the long run.
When I have time (and if I have time) I'll see if I can restore the hold one for the future...

Taken shortly after we purchased the car:

Last edited by TG.; 07-30-2020 at 07:51 PM.
minidd99 (08-04-2020)
Old 08-03-2020, 07:03 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
That looks great!

Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 08-06-2020, 05:11 PM
TG.
6th Gear
Talking It's on

I just mounted the new steering wheel. Considering all the things I've done on cars this was really a piece of cake to mount.
Interestingly when I first turned on the car (and after I plugged the battery again) I got a steering positioning icon showing 000.000 or something like that. It was fun to see for a few seconds.

I'll take a picture later thought it will look like the same as when we bought the car :D

Old 03-14-2021, 12:05 PM
minidd99
3rd Gear
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
Spring has sprung!! Insured Loki today and fired him up for the 1st time since being put away for winter hibernation.
No problems, runs like a dream. Took a drive up the lake road Like getting a new car all over again.

Miata13 (04-03-2021)
Old 03-14-2021, 12:37 PM
TG.
6th Gear
Great to hear...

We've driven ours in the winter now and then but with the pandemic I've been working from home a lot so we have saved the mileage on the roadster by using the other car much more. Which is just as well since we did a 3,000 miles road trip in the roadster last fall from PA to FL. That was quite a trip considering we broke down 2/3 of the way down, lol. I'm happy to save on the miles for when the weather get's warmer or for our next trip.

Old 03-15-2021, 09:29 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Great, got my R58 JCW out today and last week.

Old 03-16-2021, 10:40 AM
Chris_V
Banned
Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts
Sun was out this past weekend so I took the roadster to a MINI meet with the top down (pictured at the far left, below), then cruised all over the back roads before going home. Can't wait for warmer weather!

ECSTuning (03-17-2021)
Old 09-03-2021, 07:13 AM
Chris_V
Banned
Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts
Warmer weather is now about over, but it's still perfect weather for top down driving. Here's my car at the local Cars & Coffee last weekend and I'll be out there again tomorrow morning:

ECSTuning (09-03-2021)
Old 09-03-2021, 07:53 AM
njaremka
Alliance Member
Received 1,715 Likes on 1,382 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris_V
Warmer weather is now about over, but it's still perfect weather for top down driving. Here's my car at the local Cars & Coffee last weekend and I'll be out there again tomorrow morning:

The Roadster looks great!

Any more pictures of that Spitfire? Having had a Spitfire in college, I have a soft spot in my heart whenever I see one.