Detailing 101 Need to find out how to pamper your new MINI? Find out all the detailing secrets here.

HELP!! AHHHH!!! CAR BACKED UP INTO ME!! DENT AND SCRATCH AND SKUFFS!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 08:10 PM
peter314
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HELP!! AHHHH!!! CAR BACKED UP INTO ME!! DENT AND SCRATCH AND SCUFFS!!!

OMG i hate boston... My mini is two months old and i took her into boston for the day with my girlfriend and some other people to go hang out, we live close so we would have taken the trains if they WERE RUNNING! but they werent so we drove in...

so this is the first time ive driven my mini into boston and we start near the commons and we park in one of those parking lots in the middle of the city, while driving around i already had a bad feeling but i was with my Gf so all was well. the ride was intersting... soo many potholes..

ok so yea we get to the lot and im looking for a space and theres a car in front of me and they pull into a spot and i see one and go for it, so as im going behind this now parked car she starts to back up!, and mind you these lots are tight, so not alot of space on my left and all of a sudden a toyota avalon is backing up!!

everything happend very fast. and you may know how it is so bear with me on this. in the split second i realize that she could either hit me or stop in time, if i continue to drive forward she would hit me and it would just drag across the side of my car and be much much more dammage or i stop and hit the horn and hope shes hears it and stops.

so i stop lean on the horn and she continues to back up and im looking at her car the whole time, and see my mirror get pushed in and then she stops.. pulls forward and im already with my head in my hands...i get out and she does too... sorry but she was blonde and i was just like of course...and her car is fine of course but my mini takes the brunt of it.

about 10 inches of scratches and scuffs and two dents on the front quarter panel and the leading edge of the door, the one on the quarter panel is like right on the edge of the fender and about 2 inches in diamater and the one on the door is tricky, tough to explane.

so yea. great... my mini, my first car, that i've papmered for the last two months has been violated... i was, well not in the greatest state of mind at that point and i didnt really think. and i didnt get her insurance info... we looked at it, and someone who was there saw it and said the scratches could be buffed out easy, the dents i didnt really notice at first... and found them later.. but.. well, i was with my gf and shes knows im really in love with my car but i didnt want to make a scene so i just swallowed it and parked and well just tired to put it behind me.

i came all the way from maine to see her for the first time in a week so to make it an all day event would have kinda been bad.. oh and of course as soon as it happned it started to rain...and continued to rain...all day..and we were soaked..and so were my new pumas... so you would think it was a really bad day...

well the begining of it wasnt good, but once i was able to laugh at it, and see the irony in it pertaining to stuff ealier that day, it turned out pretty good, i mean i was there to be with her. the car can be fixed...

btw i did get the girls cell phone number in case i do decide i want to contact her for something or reason. like i said i wasnt thinking when after it happened and i didnt think to take any pictures or anything.

so today, i got up this morning and had the ingenius idea to clay it! because it wasnt that bad when i started to look at it this morning, it does look like whats left of it now could be taken out with some compound.. so i cleaned the area, clayed it, used nufinish scratch remover 3 times and then put a coat of nano wax on it only because that was the only kind i had. it looks alright, from 10 feet it isnt noticeable, from 5 it kinda if you know where to look but even from right next to it you have to know where to look to see it.. but the problem is I KNOW ITS THERE! and the dents arent that bad but like when the reflection is warped so it hits you that theres a dent there.

no body in my family has noticed yet but then again, no ones been around my car in particular today... so far i havent told my parents, and im not really looking forward to, i dont think they will be too thrilled...

so i was thinking of taking it into my own hands and taking out the sratches out on my own, already taking car about that, and the dents i'll have to find out a way to get them out. this is where i call out to you my fellow mini drivers. if you have any tips on how to get out small dents and scratches please let me know, i need your help. i'll try and get some pics of the infected area and the dammage. i just want my mini back to perfect, i know its going to be hard but im a perfectionist. haha.

oh and on the way back to maine driving at like 11 i see a pair of headlights coming up fast and im like o0o0 whats this... and then suddenly a GT R blast past!! im like WOAH!! and try and keep up! haha yea right. but the good thing was that he got off at my exit and was going thru my town so i was able to catch up to him on regular roads and snap a pic or two.
so yea dispite my mini being hit and walking around boston in the rain soaking wet. it was a pretty good day, if i was with anyone other than my gf it would have been a much much much much worse day. and i thank her for that .... wow long right up, sorry, haha. but thank you for your time.

Last edited by peter314; 08-12-2008 at 11:57 AM.
Old 08-11-2008, 09:34 PM
bobj
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You are a lucky guy. This is the stuff memories are made of. Forty years from now you will be sitting on your back porch, in Florida, in your rocker, with your wife recounting that rainy day you spent together in Boston. All the while your darling little grandchildren underfoot, wiping their cute little snot noses on your knee.

Forty years ago, my wife went to school in Boston. I HATED driving into Boston with my second ever car, a shiny yellow 40 HP VW Bug.... Hated those potholes and the constantly changing one way streets ... true story ... you get the idea....

p.s. Tell your Gf, forty years from now, she will need a hip replacement.

Last edited by bobj; 08-11-2008 at 09:56 PM.
Old 08-11-2008, 11:28 PM
MiniO
3rd Gear
sorry to hear about that. Boston is an amazing city but driving there does suck. It used to be even worse a few years back though with the great dig.
Hopefully you can get your Mini as good as new quickly!
Best of luck!
Go SOX!!!!!

Old 08-11-2008, 11:58 PM
peter314
5th Gear
hahaha yea, i can laugh at it now and we already are joking about it, it was a nice day even tho there wasnt a ray of sun, but yea bostons a nice place...to walk around. driving is a nightmare. and yea hopefully its back to like new in no time, i just need to get some time to do it, hah not tomorrow driving back down to mass to get my lovely gf and bringing her back to maine so looks like i wont get the chance to tackle this untill thursday.

Old 08-12-2008, 02:44 AM
CR&PW&JB
OVERDRIVE
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Detailing thread ? You're going to detail the dent, and scratches out ?

Good luck on your repairs. Hope you track down the culprits with their tag number.

BTW... please use paragraphs. That's so hard to read that way, I didn't even get through the whole thing. Made my head hurt.

Old 08-12-2008, 04:57 AM
Crashton
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
PDR FTW

Old 08-12-2008, 04:58 AM
CR&PW&JB
OVERDRIVE
No PDR in the world is going to take care of scratches and scrapes.

Old 08-12-2008, 05:09 AM
Crashton
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
so i cleaned the area, clayed it, used nufinish scratch remover 3 times and then put a coat of nano wax on it only because that was the only kind i had. it looks alright, from 10 feet it isnt noticeable, from 5 it isnt and even from right next to it you have to know where to look.. but the problem is I KNOW ITS THERE! and the dents arent that bad but like when the reflection is warped
I took this to mean the scratches were taken care of & there was a very shallow dent.

I can't believe the OP just got a cell number. When you are involved in an accident you need to get all of the other drivers information. In this case it sounds like it isn't going to be a big deal.

Peter, why would you hide this from your family? It obviously wasn't your fault in any way.

Old 08-12-2008, 05:25 AM
CR&PW&JB
OVERDRIVE
Well, only the OP knows if they were just minor surface scratches and they've been taken care of properly, or not.

But like I said, I didn't get through that entire post so maybe there's no paint damage remaining. In that case, yeah, PDR right be the ticket.

Old 08-12-2008, 12:32 PM
peter314
5th Gear
ok, so i fixed the post a little bit so make it a little more readable, sorry guys i was on a typing frenzy and just venting a bit, 1) i dont know where else to post this 2) what is PDR? and OP? 3) apon closer inspection today yes its scratched and im pretty sure theres paint dammage.... more later.

Old 08-12-2008, 12:37 PM
kenchan
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Dentless Paint Removal. oh wait, the other way around.

Paintless Dent Removal.

OP = original poster.

Old 08-12-2008, 03:22 PM
CR&PW&JB
OVERDRIVE
Thank you for paragraphing your post. I, and I'm pretty sure others, appreciate the effort.

Old 08-14-2008, 07:11 AM
Horatio
2nd Gear
Sorry to here that. But I'm not sure why you didn't get her insurance and license info. She should have to pay for fixing the damage, not you.

Old 08-14-2008, 01:30 PM
peter314
5th Gear
.....i knowwwwwww i was an idtiot.. at first it didnt look too bad but now it looks like it is out of my hands as in taking care of it, like i will have to bring it to a professional, its still minor stuff but it is still out of my range of taking care of it... i wasnt thinkin very straight when it happend, im only 19 and nothing like this has happned before...

and i havent told my parents yet because its not like i wasnt suppose to be in boston or anything but like i didnt tell them i was going in. and i know if i did my father would have said something about watching out for the car and other people.... and i know he's just going to be pissed about this... and like coming home that night wasnt a good time to tell them, and nither has any other point of this week so far...
when it happened i was a mix of emotions but i looked at it. then looked up and at my girlfriend and then back at it and said it looks like i should be able to take care of it with some clay and elbow grease, it doesnt look bad, i was really there to be with her and i didnt want that to be a huge deal and ruin the day. but at the time i didnt know about the dents, i couldnt tell, and then apon closer inspection and when i washed the area ive found out that there is paint dammage and that there is scuffing that didnt come out with the clay or the Scratch doctor.

this has been like my dirty little secret so far, like im not sure i want to tell my parents the truth? or just the next time i go to wash it "discover" it and be like "WTF?!!? When did that happen!!??" AHHHHHHHHH this is getting really messy.. what am i to do!!

Old 08-16-2008, 12:29 AM
ShadeofWhite
Neutral
did you get any scratchs on the plastic part of your car?

Old 08-16-2008, 12:34 AM
peter314
5th Gear
on the fenders?, im pretty sure i didnt, just the metal of course. oh joy...

Last edited by peter314; 08-16-2008 at 01:01 AM.
Old 08-17-2008, 08:16 AM
JohnnyCache
2nd Gear
Get an estimate and call her!

You still have her cell phone number? I think its time to put it to use. --hopefully she didnt ******** you.