R58 :: Coupé Talk (2012+) MINI Coupé (R58) discussion.

R58 New JCW Coupe owner TheBigNewt

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2014, 03:45 PM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts
New JCW Coupe owner TheBigNewt

I drove this car about 2 months ago at Mini North Scottsdale. My wife urged me to buy it on the spot (but that's not my style). I planned instead to buy an F56, Volcanic Orange loaded up. Mini of Tempe found one on a ship to California they could hijack so I went there last weekend to put down a deposit but someone had beat me to the punch. I almost stopped in Scottsdale to buy the Coupe. I did go there and bought it yesterday. Wow, what a difference from my 2007 MCS Hatch. The ride is WAY less bumpy (and I had non RFs on it). This car is WAY faster and much quieter (less wind noise). The Recaro seats are perfect. I haven't taken it on a twisty stretch but it has the sport suspension and feels great. Stereo sounds great, got Mini Connected (no Nav, I rarely even use my phone). But it's the look of the car that really sold me. My wife is right, I should have bought it 2 months ago, but I did get $2500 off. I did want an F56 but some of the new stuff (LEDs, variable dampers, 3 driving modes, light ring) didn't interest me much. I really wanted the JCW body kit, the hot brakes, and the motor way more.

Attached Thumbnails New JCW Coupe owner TheBigNewt-imag0228.jpg   New JCW Coupe owner TheBigNewt-imag0229.jpg   New JCW Coupe owner TheBigNewt-imag0230.jpg  
Old 05-11-2014, 06:37 PM
Jimbo
5th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
wow !! NICE COUPE

Should turn more heads than the VO F56 !!!

Last edited by Jimbo; 05-11-2014 at 06:41 PM. Reason: After thought
Old 05-11-2014, 08:16 PM
batdevice_
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sexy! Have fun with it.

Old 05-12-2014, 03:00 AM
j997tt
2nd Gear
Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Nice Coupe

Been following your deliberations on the board. I am biased (also have a 14 JCW Coupe) but think you made the right choice. I also have the Recaros and they are really nice seats. The car is a blast to drive. Enjoy it.

Old 05-12-2014, 05:56 AM
cayjorjan
1st Gear
Originally Posted by TheBigNewt
I drove this car about 2 months ago at Mini North Scottsdale. My wife urged me to buy it on the spot (but that's not my style). I planned instead to buy an F56, Volcanic Orange loaded up. Mini of Tempe found one on a ship to California they could hijack so I went there last weekend to put down a deposit but someone had beat me to the punch. I almost stopped in Scottsdale to buy the Coupe. I did go there and bought it yesterday. Wow, what a difference from my 2007 MCS Hatch. The ride is WAY less bumpy (and I had non RFs on it). This car is WAY faster and much quieter (less wind noise). The Recaro seats are perfect. I haven't taken it on a twisty stretch but it has the sport suspension and feels great. Stereo sounds great, got Mini Connected (no Nav, I rarely even use my phone). But it's the look of the car that really sold me. My wife is right, I should have bought it 2 months ago, but I did get $2500 off. I did want an F56 but some of the new stuff (LEDs, variable dampers, 3 driving modes, light ring) didn't interest me much. I really wanted the JCW body kit, the hot brakes, and the motor way more.
Congrats on your new coupe! We were about 2 months early in our plans to purchase a car but test drove one in PA...couldn't wait any longer, just had to have it! We flew from New Jersey to Chicago to get the color combo we were looking for and cruised it on home...soooo happy with it!!

Old 05-12-2014, 09:20 AM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
I've been hanging out on the F56 forum lately, and at least a handful of people have taken delivery who came from the R56 models. They almost all comment that the ride softer and the car is quieter, that the car is more BMW-like. Higher quality interior. But I had no problem with the interior quality of my R56 nor this one. My R56 definitely had more rattles and even after I pumped the tires up to 38 yesterday the ride is not as harsh as my R56, my wife noticed it right away. And as a head turner there's no comparison. I'm still messing with the Mini Connected but so far it's cool to see the album art. I would have bought the Nav in the F56 but wouldn't have used it. I spent about $39k on this car, the F56 would have been about $34, but what I got was a better body kit, motor, brakes, and seats. Stuff you use or see every day.

Old 05-12-2014, 08:46 PM
NewCooperFanatic
5th Gear
Finally!

Congrats, welcome to the club!

Old 05-13-2014, 03:44 AM
johnso56
2nd Gear
Wait until chip it and become a 250hp+ monster, omg it almost flies

Old 05-13-2014, 07:01 AM
Marioalex24
3rd Gear
Congrats

Old 05-13-2014, 01:15 PM
Herby74
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm afraid of buying a JCW. I have just about all the power I need/want. I was drawn to the styling first (crazy about it, my wife too).... as well as how I felt just sitting in it. I think comments about a 'backward baseball cap' appearance are silly....would rather describe it as futuristic. I've heard nothing but words of praise for how it presents itself in the real world. The power and ride are better than any of my previous three MCS's and the F56's I tested. It has been surprisingly trouble free. So you can see why I put my money down on another S coupe. Whatever your reasons, you have made a great choice Big Newt and you will know it every time you take it for a drive!

Last edited by Herby74; 05-13-2014 at 01:24 PM.
Old 05-14-2014, 08:39 AM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by Herby74
I'm afraid of buying a JCW. I have just about all the power I need/want. I was drawn to the styling first (crazy about it, my wife too).... as well as how I felt just sitting in it. I think comments about a 'backward baseball cap' appearance are silly....would rather describe it as futuristic. I've heard nothing but words of praise for how it presents itself in the real world. The power and ride are better than any of my previous three MCS's and the F56's I tested. It has been surprisingly trouble free. So you can see why I put my money down on another S coupe. Whatever your reasons, you have made a great choice Big Newt and you will know it every time you take it for a drive!
Get the JCW seriously. I don't drive crazy and my MCS was fast enough or so I thought. But this thing drives so differently it's like a whole different experience. And I haven't even taken on highway 89a which is said to be similar to The Dragon as twisty roads go. I'm planning on it soon. Because Coupe/Roadster sales are but a fraction of the total Mini sales I have a hunch the model may get discontinued in a year or 2. 2 seaters don't sell all that well, and the new F56 will get a Countryman and Cabrio version, but I have a feeling the Coupe/Roadster may not.