R57 :: Cabrio Talk (2009+) Cooper and Cooper S convertible (R57) discussion.

R57 New to Mini and the forum - a few questions

Old 08-19-2015, 01:23 PM
2011cooperSconvertible
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New to Mini and the forum - a few questions

Hello!

I purchased my first Mini (2011 Cooper S convertible) a couple weeks ago and have been having the most fun driving I've ever had! It's an absolute blast on the winding back country roads of Virginia and West Virginia. It was a close call between this and a Miata, but I just think the Mini looks "cooler". I've owned everything from a '93 BMW M5 to a Dodge Caravan to a Ford F150, so it's definitely a new driving experience for me haha.

I had a few questions for the group:

- It's an automatic w/ 40,500 miles, pretty much stock, 1 owner. I paid $16k plus taxes and fees - does that sound like a good deal?

-So far I've replaced the antenna with a stubby model, replaced the cracking rubber seals along the back trim of the convertible top, and just ordered Michelin Pilot Sports to replace the aging runflats. Any suggestions on the next most important / bang for the buck improvement / mod?

Attached Thumbnails New to Mini and the forum - a few questions-img_20150725_173402974-02.jpeg  
Old 08-19-2015, 01:40 PM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
I'd say that's a decent deal for the mileage. I see '12's listed in your area with 15k more miles going for about 17k. For mods, what are you looking to get out of your MINI? Are you looking for engine mods or suspension mods? With any of my cars, I've always upgraded the suspension before really touching anything under the hood. You can take a stroll around our suspension catalog here if interested. Usually I wait until something goes bad and when it comes time to replacing the part(s), I upgrade. One of the first things I did do though was an exhaust. I think it really opens up and gives MINI's a great tone. Check out the Remus exhaust here. If you have any questions let me know.

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 08-19-2015, 01:48 PM
Angib
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The OEM wind blocker, unless you have one and folded it down for the photo.

Old 08-19-2015, 02:02 PM
2011cooperSconvertible
Neutral
I do have the OEM wind blocker, just not shown in the photo (great investment, although I can't fit my big suitcase on the folded rear seats with it on). I also have the OEM car cover and tune2air adapter to stream Bluetooth audio.

Old 08-19-2015, 02:09 PM
2011cooperSconvertible
Neutral
@Pelicanparts - I wouldn't mind a bit more horsepower / torque, but don't want to make any major engine modifications. The Mini feels so low to the ground as is, I'm worried the springs / lowered suspension would cause damage on bumps or driveway dips - any thoughts? I definitely wouldn't mind taking the turns even faster though ha.

Old 08-19-2015, 02:43 PM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Received 367 Likes on 311 Posts
Care for the canvas is important. The two best products for that are 303 and Ragg Topp.
For handling, which you seem to have grown a liking to, the best bang for the buck there is KONI FSD struts and a 19 or 22 MM adjustable RSB.
And for peace of mind, a pair of M7 strut tower plates to prevent strut tower mushrooming. Not as prevalent on the R57 but still...

Old 08-19-2015, 04:16 PM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by 2011cooperSconvertible
@Pelicanparts - I wouldn't mind a bit more horsepower / torque, but don't want to make any major engine modifications. The Mini feels so low to the ground as is, I'm worried the springs / lowered suspension would cause damage on bumps or driveway dips - any thoughts? I definitely wouldn't mind taking the turns even faster though ha.
Here is a thread on NAM with some R57 upgrades that may be useful to you for wanting a bit more out of your MINI. Otherwise, look into Powerflex Polyurethane Suspension Bushings for better handling. Those with a rear sway bar would be nice. Being lower you will need to be cautious of dips/bumps, but it's something you get used to. I'd be more worried about the stiffness of the ride as a stiff spring or coil set up will take a bit of the comfort out of your current stock set up. Springs and coil over set ups will definitely drop you lower to the ground so if that is what you're worried about you can maybe do some upgraded Bilstein shocks and struts while keeping the OEM springs.

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 09-16-2015, 05:05 AM
2011cooperSconvertible
Neutral
Originally Posted by Fly'n Brick
Care for the canvas is important. The two best products for that are 303 and Ragg Topp.
For handling, which you seem to have grown a liking to, the best bang for the buck there is KONI FSD struts and a 19 or 22 MM adjustable RSB.
And for peace of mind, a pair of M7 strut tower plates to prevent strut tower mushrooming. Not as prevalent on the R57 but still...
Do the KONI FSD struts add much to the Mini's handling capabilities or do they just improve the ride? I'm fine with the stiff ride myself.

Is this the strut tower plate you're referring to?:
http://www.m7tuning.com/m7-strut-tower-j-brace-strut-tower-brace-assembly.html

I'm thinking of doing the following upgrades:

NM*Eng.*ECU*Tuning (plus 25-30 hp)
NM*Eng.*Engine*Torque*Arm*Insert
NM*Eng.*22mm RSB
K&N air intake
M7 strut tower brace
(Maybe?) KONI FSD

Any thoughts on this mix of upgrades?

Old 09-16-2015, 06:23 AM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Do the KONI FSD struts add much to the Mini's handling capabilities or do they just improve the ride? I'm fine with the stiff ride myself.
Is this the strut tower plate you're referring to?:
http://www.m7tuning.com/m7-strut-tow...-assembly.html
Any thoughts on this mix of upgrades?
Strut tower plate I was referring to is this one.
http://www.m7tuning.com/m7-mini-coop...2007-2015.html The 'assembly', you don't really need unless you just want it.
The FSD struts do make a difference in handling. The FSD stands for 'frequency selective dampening'. A few minutes after having the struts and RSB installed we headed out to a nearby county road with a 90° 45MPH curve. The guy, watching the speedo, kept his thumb up as I accelerated thru 80 MPH coming out of the apex. No way the OEM setup could have handled that.

Old 09-17-2015, 07:14 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,964 Likes on 1,764 Posts
Hello!

I purchased my first Mini (2011 Cooper S convertible) a couple weeks ago and have been having the most fun driving I've ever had! It's an absolute blast on the winding back country roads of Virginia and West Virginia. It was a close call between this and a Miata, but I just think the Mini looks "cooler". I've owned everything from a '93 BMW M5 to a Dodge Caravan to a Ford F150, so it's definitely a new driving experience for me haha.

I had a few questions for the group:

- It's an automatic w/ 40,500 miles, pretty much stock, 1 owner. I paid $16k plus taxes and fees - does that sound like a good deal?

-So far I've replaced the antenna with a stubby model, replaced the cracking rubber seals along the back trim of the convertible top, and just ordered Michelin Pilot Sports to replace the aging runflats. Any suggestions on the next most important / bang for the buck improvement / mod?

Hello congrats on the R57 , you have the big one on the R57 with the rear convertible trim. Do you have a wind deflector yet ?

Use mine all the time.

R57 MINI convertible - Black Wind Deflector

http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/54342757001/

R57 MINI Convertible Wind Deflector - Checkered / Chrome

http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/54340445398/

Checkered version has little storage areas. Both come with travel storage bags.

Are you looking at engine mods or add ons for aesthetics ?

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 09-17-2015, 08:01 AM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Did it again. Forgot to mention one of the most important pieces of equipment there is in the world of MINI. You really need a LightinSight.
Way Motor Works has them. It is a prism for the upper windshield so you can see overhead traffic lights without having to lean over and look like a total dork. Don't ask or argue, just order one, install it and you can thank me later.

Old 03-21-2019, 07:52 PM
BlueMiniac
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Nice! Mine looks a lot like yours, laser blue convertible!

Old 03-22-2019, 07:09 AM
Mineeee
3rd Gear
Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts
<deleted>

Last edited by Mineeee; 03-22-2019 at 07:13 AM. Reason: Old thread resurrection
Old 04-01-2019, 06:03 AM
ScottKY
1st Gear
Hello!

OP, I certainly don't mean to hijack your thread, but I'm a new owner of 2013 S Convertible, and I'm looking to make some of the same mods as the ones you've already done, and I had a couple of questions:

1. Were the Michelin Pilot Sports a big improvement in terms of ride quality? BTW, how do folks reconcile having no spare...a can of fix-a-flat?
2. What model of stubby antenna did you get? Any installation gotchas?
3. I have cracking rubber seals at the back trim of the top as well. I'd be curious to know where you purchased replacement seals, and how difficult it was to replace.

Thanks in advance for any input you can offer.