R57 :: Cabrio Talk (2009+) Cooper and Cooper S convertible (R57) discussion.

R57 My convertible top problem this morning

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2011, 08:54 AM
gaylon
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My convertible top problem this morning

So, I got to work this morning and the convertible top won't close. The button makes the windows go down, but the top does not move. When I release the button, the green led blinks. Also, the trunk won't open now. So I have to disassemble the wind deflector and pop the back seat forward to get to my briefcase. On the way to work, going down the highway, my NAV system rebooted - but this didn't stop the bluetooth music from playing so it was not a complete system reboot. I am going to take it to the dealership (already had an appointment for tomorrow because the USB drive doesn't appear to be hooked up). Anyone know how to correct the top issue? Some sort of reset? I can't get out of work too early to take care of this, and I can't secure the car while I am in the office.

Lots of issues for a car I have had less than a week. I am getting kind of discouraged...

Old 05-05-2011, 09:04 AM
AustinS
4th Gear
Just a thought...but you would have to pull the emergency trunk release to get the door open. Then make sure the levers(?) that allow you to pop up the rear part of the top are seated properly. Maybe one of them is askew.

Old 05-05-2011, 09:25 AM
gaylon
1st Gear
Austin,

Thanks. I just went and tried this. I realigned everything and still no joy. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Old 05-05-2011, 09:28 AM
MiamiGuitarMan
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There is a way to manually raise the top. The procedure is outlined in the owner's manual. I read through it and it looks like a pain in the *** but if you really need to put the top up, you can do it.

Old 05-08-2011, 07:19 AM
gaylon
1st Gear
So that was Thursday. Now it is Sunday. The dealer decided the convertible top wiring harness needs replacing, something about a break in it. A 14 hour job. I am hoping to get it back tomorrow. I am worried about other issue arhat may arise from so much disassembly and reassembly, but worrying never fixed anything. I will let everyone know more when I do.

Old 05-08-2011, 01:43 PM
Mysticeti
3rd Gear
Damn. You have an '11 right? What a drag. Hope this isn't the beginning of a trend with this year's model.

Old 05-08-2011, 01:56 PM
MiamiGuitarMan
4th Gear
14 hours?? They can build an entire car in about that time if I'm not mistaken. I don't know too many car repairs that take that much hands-on time.

Old 05-08-2011, 05:18 PM
jasoncolorado
3rd Gear
Wow...did they give you any indication why the system rebooted driving down the road? As far as worrying...dont. Every car manufacturer in the world has a service department.....because no matter what kind of vehicle it is, they all have issues. I am sure you will get your vert back up and running very soon.

Old 05-12-2011, 08:20 AM
gaylon
1st Gear
I have the car back. The top not moving was "a bad sensor" but they ended up replacing the top wiring harness because it sounded like they weren't sure which sensor. The USB system is working - it required a "system reboot, by performing a battery reset". No answer on the Nav system - "Bring it back if it does that again". Oh well. The top works now. It didn't for a minute last night, and I am hoping that was a fluke, but it works today. I hope it stays working. I really like the car, I want to love it, but it needs to be a little more problem free first

Old 05-29-2011, 03:16 AM
Frenchy2004
1st Gear
I had the same top problem the day I took delivery. After 2 hours I finally got it up. Took it to the Mx shop at the dealership the next morning. When the tried it they had no problems they did it twice and told me it was okay. They said I it happend again to set an appointmen to have it inspected. Well it did happen again on my roadtrip with it 2 days later. I was over 300 miles from home. I had to manually close the top... which is a pain... And in doing so the manual crank on the sunroof motor broke. After they found the "bad sensor" after 4 day if troubleshooting and replacement I have had no problems(crossing my fingers).

Old 05-30-2011, 05:23 AM
keithville danny
1st Gear
You know there is one word that helped me with this wonderful little fun loving car it was "complicated" don't give up! because once you tinker with all the different little set ups and top levers and all of the different ways things will not function ( and yes to me this great car has many!!)

but right now we've had this car almost a year and have worked through learning the swiss made type of precision and creativity of this car , and drop the top and WOW! what a great ride!

Hang in there , and I think it'll get better.

Old 06-18-2011, 03:10 PM
harborguy
1st Gear
My new 2011 Cooper Cvt is parked in a public garage with 225 miles. Can't open the top all the way so I have to listen to the annoying chimes. And worse, the passenger latch isn't moving so can't shut the top. It is a beautiful weekend and I have a beautiful car sitting, waiting for a service appointment three days from now. Must say I'm not feeling as enthused about MINI as I was when I bought the car last week.

Old 06-21-2011, 11:23 AM
harborguy
1st Gear
roof problems

Couldn't shut roof. can't open boot. 2011 cvt with 225 miles. Had to take it to the dealer in the rain this morning. There wasn't much hail, so not so bad. They tell me sunroof motor quit. I hear this never happens (except for you all who have posted a similar problem) I have the most base of base model loaners. I'm glad they gave me one since I couldn't get the car back to the selling dealer. I might get the car back tomorrow. Where's the Mini love? Not feeling it....

Old 06-23-2011, 08:06 AM
harborguy
1st Gear
Picking up my car later today. I'm feeling a little bit better since I've dried off. Although I've hardly had a chance to enjoy my new car, I am trying to believe that this is just a fluke and I'll have many happy years with my Mini. I might buy the extended warranty. I don't think we should really need it, but I have to react to my current experience.

Update: Reason given for sunroof motor failure is stop blocks not adjusted correctly from factory causing motor to fail. Replaced sunroof section of top. All seems to be better. Off to the beach.

Last edited by harborguy; 06-24-2011 at 05:03 AM. Reason: update
Old 06-23-2011, 10:05 AM
MiamiGuitarMan
4th Gear
Originally Posted by harborguy
Picking up my car later today. I'm feeling a little bit better since I've dried off. Although I've hardly had a chance to enjoy my new car, I am trying to believe that this is just a fluke and I'll have many happy years with my Mini. I might buy the extended warranty. I don't think we should really need it, but I have to react to my current experience.
does the extended warranty cover the convertible top?

Old 06-23-2011, 11:09 AM
harborguy
1st Gear
mini extended protection and some of the 3rd party warranties provide coverage for the motors. They are usually in the fine print with electrical. The roof covering itself is not covered anywhere that I see. The motors are also covered in the new car warranty .

Old 06-23-2011, 11:13 AM
harborguy
1st Gear
BTW - I haven't seen any velvet silver minis around here. I also saw your comment on raising the roof manually. I saw it in the manual and there is no way, no how, I was going to take anything apart on a car I've driven less than 150 miles. It would be the act of a desperate man.

Old 06-27-2011, 06:00 PM
erferguson26
1st Gear
Originally Posted by harborguy
Update: Reason given for sunroof motor failure is stop blocks not adjusted correctly from factory causing motor to fail. Replaced sunroof section of top. All seems to be better. Off to the beach.
as a 2011 owner with just 375 miles, I was watching your posts closely. Thanks for the updates. Hope it was an unfortunate fluke and all will be well!

Old 06-28-2011, 09:23 AM
gaylon
1st Gear
I now have about 3500 miles and almost 100 hours with the top down and I have had no problems since the repair was done. I hope that makes you feel a little better....

Old 07-22-2011, 02:45 PM
harborguy
1st Gear
update to convertible dependability

Have driven about 1000 miles. Mostly top down. Things have been pretty good since the sunroof motor repair. A few days ago I found a broken clip on my passenger seat. Then the rail over the passenger window started to close a little strangely. Took it to the dealer today. They did a repair in about 15 minutes. Not too bad. Don't like going back and back, but they do have snacks and lots of cold water. I'm just glad I live within a reasonable distance to the dealer.

Old 07-28-2011, 08:18 PM
asc63
1st Gear
I have a velvet silver cabrio and it's a GREAT color... almost a bronze/taupe color that looks great with the black top. I considered ordering one with a brown top, but there was a great deal on this one coming into the dealer.

Old 09-14-2012, 01:09 PM
Coene
Neutral
top won't close

2009 Mini Convertible. Top won't close and we are 175 miles from dealer; Working on closing top manually so I can get it to dealer. Believe me it is a pain to manually close. Directions in Mini manual are minimal at best and pictures are so small it is next to impossible to decipher. I feel I'm pretty handy but I have been on the phone twice with the dealer and it is still not closed completely. Need to latch and close sunroof. I assume this is still warranty as it sounds expensive if paying ourselves. Will post when job is finished. Wish me luck.

Old 09-14-2012, 06:20 PM
epeel
2nd Gear
Coene,
I feel your pain. I have a 2013 and was 350 miles from home when the roof would not close. We tried to manually close it but gave up since the hubs & I couldn't figure out what the pictures in the owners manual were. We drove 2 hours to the nearest dealer & they closed it. When we got home, the dealer replaced defective sensors. Good luck & let us know what happens...

Old 09-11-2014, 03:19 PM
IrishRover
Neutral
Just want to let Gaylon and others on this thread know that recently I picked up my 2012 MINI Cooper S convertible from the dealer where it had been for about a month with the same problems Gaylon had. Using information from this thread to give the service technician some direction, and after a couple of attempts to try to solve the problem with replacing the sensor alone, they finally replaced the sensors and harness with success. Thanks Gaylon and the others on this thread for sharing your experience. It really helped to get my 2012 back on the road with a working top.