R57 :: Cabrio Talk (2009+) Cooper and Cooper S convertible (R57) discussion.

R57 Where did the gauges go?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 03:30 PM
Milton Mini
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where did the gauges go?

When I picked up my R57 Cabrio and traded in my 08 Cabrio I realized there was no more Coolant Temperature Gage. Enthusiast's like gages to tell us what is going on. I've since looked at the Build a Cabrio (MINIUSA site) and there is an option now to add one (1) gage to the right side of the Tach. Is there any aftermarked company out there that will provide a gage package (ie. oil pressure, coolant temp. etc.) that can be added specifically to the R57? Other than the many little problems found with this car over the 08, which hopefully can be corrected when I can get to a dealer, this a real need for me.

Old 06-29-2009, 03:37 PM
Jeremy1026
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Milton Mini
When I picked up my R57 Cabrio and traded in my 08 Cabrio I realized there was no more Coolant Temperature Gage. Enthusiast's like gages to tell us what is going on. I've since looked at the Build a Cabrio (MINIUSA site) and there is an option now to add one (1) gage to the right side of the Tach. Is there any aftermarked company out there that will provide a gage package (ie. oil pressure, coolant temp. etc.) that can be added specifically to the R57? Other than the many little problems found with this car over the 08, which hopefully can be corrected when I can get to a dealer, this a real need for me.
Since the temp gauge in the 1st Gen MINIs was worthless. It stays in the middle until it gets too hot, then it shoots all the way up and the light turns on. In the R57 they don't tease you with an inoperable needle, and just turn a warning light on when you get too hot.

Old 06-29-2009, 04:16 PM
veggivet
6th Gear
Received 110 Likes on 95 Posts
Don't forget about that great new one that MINI added for the cabrio...the openometer.

Old 06-29-2009, 04:20 PM
Milton Mini
2nd Gear
maybe someone can come up with a gage to go in that hole that is relevant. It's like the outside temp gage on a Harley. They have now come out with an optional oil temp gage that goes there and works.

Old 06-29-2009, 04:33 PM
ALTA_Jarid
5th Gear
We carry aux gauges that go alongside the tach! Check em out!

Old 06-29-2009, 05:17 PM
veggivet
6th Gear
Received 110 Likes on 95 Posts
Nice...you should post that pix in the 'Show us your gauges' thread.

Old 06-29-2009, 05:47 PM
mtubesing
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by ALTA_Jarid
We carry aux gauges that go alongside the tach! Check em out!
Jarid -

Your product page is pretty specific to the R56. The (useless) openometer in the R57 is a pod that is a plastic mold permanently connected to the central tach. I would be interested to see if you can show pictures of an R57 install or have your engineering start working on an R57 compatible solution. I would definitely be an interested customer!

If you want more specific pictures of the R57 setup, I can provide.

Old 06-29-2009, 06:21 PM
ALTA_Jarid
5th Gear
Originally Posted by mtubesing
Jarid -

Your product page is pretty specific to the R56. The (useless) openometer in the R57 is a pod that is a plastic mold permanently connected to the central tach. I would be interested to see if you can show pictures of an R57 install or have your engineering start working on an R57 compatible solution. I would definitely be an interested customer!

If you want more specific pictures of the R57 setup, I can provide.
I will take a look ASAP at an R57. Thanks for the heads up! I know you cannot remove the Openometer so you would be able to (possibly) use one gauge. Ill keep you posted!!

Old 06-29-2009, 08:38 PM
mtubesing
2nd Gear
I know you cannot remove the Openometer so you would be able to (possibly) use one gauge. Ill keep you posted!!
Actually, the ideal solution would be to purchase a replacement R56 housing case for the tach, disassemble the R57 tach and reinsert into the R56 housing. At that point, both sides would be available for the custom gauge pods.

The low-tech approach would just be to cut off the openometer pod and band-aid over the hole that's left behind. If the optional side pod is adjustable enough, it would probably cover most of the hole... I don't think I would volunteer as that guinea pig to figure out how it looks afterwards.

Old 06-30-2009, 05:33 AM
AustinS
4th Gear
I hope I don't hurt anyone's feelings here, but IMHO after 8 weeks and 2,000 miles with my R57, you can take the openometer and pitch it in the trash. It was "cute" for a while, but I would much rather have a real temperature gauge.

A light that comes on when the engine is hot is not a very good warning indicator. A gauge that tells you when the engine is starting to get hot is far better...so that you can do something before it is too late and you are stranded in some remote location.

I am new to the world of Minis and ignorant of the after-market, but if someone has a good temperature gauge, I would like to have one.

Old 06-30-2009, 08:42 AM
zanary
4th Gear
Actually, the ideal solution would be to purchase a replacement R56 housing case for the tach, disassemble the R57 tach and reinsert into the R56 housing. At that point, both sides would be available for the custom gauge pods.
You're referring to picking up one of these as a replacement for the R57 with the Openometer right?
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...89&hg=62&fg=05

Even though the picture is wrong, here's the link to the R57 one with the OpenoMeter.
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...89&hg=62&fg=05

You'd think that the one with the Openometer would be easy to split open, and replaced with a temp gauge in the same location.

Last edited by zanary; 06-30-2009 at 09:02 PM.
Old 06-30-2009, 09:58 AM
mtubesing
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by zanary
You'd think that the one with the Openometer would be split open, and replaced with a temp gauge in the same location.
Did you mean "*could* be split open"? That's actually a better idea than hacking the entire pod off. Gut the contents of the openometer pod and find an aftermarket gauge that fits. Jarid - how bout it??

The problems with using an R56 tach as replacement are
1) Not knowing if the wiring harness/setup is compatible.
2) Looking up that part number, I got a list price of $360+. That's pretty steep for "simply" wanting an oil/water temp gauge in a $30K+ car...

Old 06-30-2009, 10:21 AM
thevelourfog
5th Gear
There's a new JCW temp gauge out now as well you could check out.

Old 06-30-2009, 12:23 PM
ALTA_Jarid
5th Gear
I am looking into de-openometering an R57 as we speak! Thanks for your patience!

Old 06-30-2009, 02:18 PM
stefspain
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The only problem on these after market gauges is that they are not made out of the same plastic as the rev counter and the chrome is not available. But the water termometer is defintely handy if you do not want to rev the engine above 4000 rpm before the oil is hot. I count 8 miles before going all the way. I hate fuming cars !!!!!!

Old 06-30-2009, 04:35 PM
Milton Mini
2nd Gear
Found another thread talking about Marshall Gages (www.marshallinstruments.com) and Craven Spped Flexpods for mounts. Housings are the missing element. Of course the OpenMeter is in the way.

Old 06-30-2009, 09:04 PM
zanary
4th Gear
Did you mean "*could* be split open"? That's actually a better idea than hacking the entire pod off.
Yeah, sorry typo on my part. What I was trying to say was: "You'd think that the one with the Openometer would be easy to split open, and then replaced with a temp gauge in the same location."

The problems with using an R56 tach as replacement are
1) Not knowing if the wiring harness/setup is compatible.
I was thinking since the OpenoMeter is a option in the rest of the world (Except for the US), the wiring harness should be the same, or maybe there's two of them, one for the tach, and one for our OpenoMeter.

Just a thought

Old 07-07-2009, 06:09 AM
mtubesing
2nd Gear
I am looking into de-openometering an R57 as we speak! Thanks for your patience!
Any progress, Jarid?

Old 07-07-2009, 08:33 AM
ALTA_Jarid
5th Gear
Definitely going to be harder than its probably worth. You would have to replace the entire tach as the guts of the tach/openometer are one. Furthermore if you do somehow replace the tach with an R55/R56 tach you need to go BACK to the dealer to get the computer recoded since the original tach stores your mileage etc. Im thinking its a better idea to make a different gauge pod setup for the R57... Sorry fellas!

Old 07-07-2009, 08:47 AM
mtubesing
2nd Gear
Jarid - thanks for doing the investigative legwork! That said,

WAAAH! and then URG! to MINI for over-engineering such a useless bauble.

So, Jarid, just to confirm, it sounds like the R57 tach and openometer are on the same IC board or something? It would be impossible to cut off the openometer without damaging the tach? I'm inclined to design my own sticker to cover up the openometer face.

"THIS SPACE FOR RENT"

Old 07-07-2009, 08:53 AM
ALTA_Jarid
5th Gear
From my sources at MINI I have been told they are "one"....Wether that means one PC board or one wiring harness I am not sure. However I DO know that the coding at the dealership and a new tach would be stupid expensive

Old 07-07-2009, 10:41 AM
mtubesing
2nd Gear
OK - as proof that it helps to poke around in the other forums...

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...d2-gauges.html

I had no idea that all that data could be pulled real-time from the OBDII port. That DashDyno product looks amazing! Granted, it doesn't fit neatly in a stylish gauge pod or replace the openometer, but I guess I could mount the thing right across the openometer...

Old 04-03-2012, 02:33 PM
Ken Yankee
1st Gear
Sorry to dig up an old thread but has anyone mounted another gauge on the other side of the openometer? If so any pictures of the install. Thanks!

Old 04-03-2012, 02:38 PM
AustinS
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Ken Yankee
Sorry to dig up an old thread but has anyone mounted another gauge on the other side of the openometer? If so any pictures of the install. Thanks!
You might wonder why no one has comment on this for almost 3 years. We are still waiting, but not holding our breath.

Old 04-03-2012, 02:41 PM
mtubesing
2nd Gear
Wow - you did resurrect an old one... I have not been a good NAM citizen and posted any updates on this topic.

I did end up buying a ScanGauge and I did make a home-made "bracket" to mount it on the right-hand side of the tach gauge. It has worked fine for me for a few months now. Coincidentally, my car is at the dealer today getting the recall work done on it (and some other minor things), but when I get it back I can take/post some pics.

With a screwdriver, some gloss black spraypaint and about $2 worth of hardware from Home Depot, you can do the same thing...

Quick Reply: R57 Where did the gauges go?