R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Thinking about a Sprint Booster for your R56? Save your money!

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2018, 06:19 PM
mkov608
5th Gear
Received 123 Likes on 90 Posts
Thinking about a Sprint Booster for your R56? Changed to "is it worth the money?"

After reading all the reviews for the Sprint Booster, I recently purchased a V3 on Black Friday. After following the provided installation instructions to the letter, I connected my Foxwell GT80 mini diagnostic scanner to see if there was any decrease in time that it takes for the throttle plate to open. In the sport mode, the literature says we should see a 30% faster response and a 60% faster response in the race mode.

The graph below shows no significant difference in the time it takes for the throttle plate to open; notice similarities between the red trend lines. I added the green lines to represent what I expected to see. With my foot off the gas, you can see the line will rise to 80% throttle angle (full throttle is 30%). In this test, I abruptly floored the accelerator and you can see the throttle angle change until it's fully open (30%). Once it hit 30%, I would let off the gas, and the throttle angle travel back to 80% (closed). While the throttle plate was traveling back to the closed position, I would switch to the next mode. The second test was in sport 9; the third test was in race 9.

While many claim they can "feel" the difference (human perception being what it is), I was not able to notice any significant increase in acceleration, and the scanner doesn't lie.

I contacted Sprint Booster, and Wendy claims her Sprint Booster works great in her Clubie, but again she has no data to back up her claim. She said she was going to pass on my findings to their engineering team, but I have yet to hear back from them.

Last edited by mkov608; 12-07-2018 at 06:45 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by mkov608:
anew742 (01-14-2019), cloverasx (12-07-2018), PEneoark (12-08-2018)
Old 12-07-2018, 07:11 AM
cloverasx
2nd Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
You're the hero we don't deserve. Seriously, thanks for doing this research!

Old 12-07-2018, 07:15 AM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
Don't own one, see no need for it. However so many people like them I wonder if your unit is possibly defective. Science would demand that you try another unit - or not.

Old 12-07-2018, 08:06 AM
MarioKart
Vendor
Received 115 Likes on 93 Posts
Originally Posted by Minnie.the.Moocher
Don't own one, see no need for it. However so many people like them I wonder if your unit is possibly defective. Science would demand that you try another unit - or not.
I owned a few SB V2 and V3 and it’s noticeable. I have one that didn’t work out at all and another that worked, but caused a limp mode. I wonder if the one you received didn’t work?

Mario

mQubed Motorsport Manic & RPM Power Tuning

The following 2 users liked this post by MarioKart:
anew742 (01-14-2019), cloverasx (12-07-2018)
Old 12-07-2018, 08:24 AM
cloverasx
2nd Gear
Mario, do you couple the SB with your tune or do the tunes alleviate the need for the SB?

Old 12-07-2018, 09:55 AM
MarioKart
Vendor
Received 115 Likes on 93 Posts
Originally Posted by cloverasx
Mario, do you couple the SB with your tune or do the tunes alleviate the need for the SB?
The SB can work with with the tuning or I can adjust the throttle for more upon request.

mQubed Motorsport Manic & RPM Power Tuning

The following users liked this post:
cloverasx (12-07-2018)
Old 12-07-2018, 10:10 AM
cloverasx
2nd Gear
I feel like the throttle in sport mode is pretty responsive, just feels like it's not linear. Is that what these are supposed to clean up or is it just the reaction time? Also, thanks for the info, Mario!

Old 12-07-2018, 07:26 PM
mkov608
5th Gear
Ok new lessons learned. The SB will not show any results without the engine running. So, my first post scans were misleading because I was performing my throttle excursions in the garage without the engine running. So, I though I'd take some scans while driving. In each case, I abruptly depressed the throttle pedal to max travel. I only used two SB modes ... off and race 9 (essentially off and max). In the pairs of graphs below, the first graph will be with the SB off and the second will be with the SB in race 9.

First, I tried some data logs just sitting in the driveway ... just revving the engine up.

Here's the log with the SB in the off position: Notice the slight bend in the trend line. This trend line represents a slightly slower throttle plate opening rate until you get to about 47% throttle, and then the rate increases slightly.

With the SB in race 9, there is no hesitation at all, but keep this in perspective; we're only talking about a .5 second difference between the SB in off and the SB in race 9.

Now here are some full throttle runs:

Here's the second full throttle run in Race 9: You clearly see a slower throttle opening rate, but that only lasts until approximately 18% compared to 41% in the picture above.

Finally, here is one more series. You'll notice in the second graph there is no hesitation at all.

Race 9; no hesitation. Time from off throttle to nearly 100% is .5 seconds.

Conclusion for today: When you go to the auto show, you'll see the SB demonstrations where they have a sample fly-by-wire throttle pedal connected to a sample electric throttle valve. In their demonstration, you'll witness a throttle valve angle response as if it was mechanical (connected to a cable)... a very fast rate of opening. While these graphs do prove the SB does improve throttle plate opening response times, it's not as instantaneous as their product demonstrations ... not as fast as a mechanical linkage. Perhaps this is unique to the MINI R56.

Can I perceive a difference from today's runs? What I noticed is a slightly improved initial acceleration from full off throttle. With the SB off (in my MINI), there seems to be a slight hesitation when I start to depress the accelerator, that disappears with the SB in race 9. It also appears the throttle in race 9 is less linear ... more response at an earlier range of pedal travel. Unfortunately, I didn't perform any part throttle scans.

Is it worth $300? I don't think so, but, I've got 30 days to try it out. My wife think's I've removed it from the car, but it's installed (race 9), so I'll let her tell me if she notices any difference.

Wendy at SB suggested I drive it a while thinking that the DME will have to learn my driving style. I'm not sure that's even possible, but I'll run some more scans in a week.

Last edited by mkov608; 12-12-2018 at 11:43 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by mkov608:
anew742 (01-14-2019), PEneoark (12-08-2018)
Old 12-18-2018, 09:18 AM
Joel Kelm
Neutral
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Great article SB research.

Originally Posted by mkov608
Ok new lessons learned. The SB will not show any results without the engine running. So, my first post scans were misleading because I was performing my throttle excursions in the garage without the engine running. So, I though I'd take some scans while driving. In each case, I abruptly depressed the throttle pedal to max travel. I only used two SB modes ... off and race 9 (essentially off and max). In the pairs of graphs below, the first graph will be with the SB off and the second will be with the SB in race 9.

First, I tried some data logs just sitting in the driveway ... just revving the engine up.

Here's the log with the SB in the off position: Notice the slight bend in the trend line. This trend line represents a slightly slower throttle plate opening rate until you get to about 47% throttle, and then the rate increases slightly.

With the SB in race 9, there is no hesitation at all, but keep this in perspective; we're only talking about a .5 second difference between the SB in off and the SB in race 9.

Now here are some full throttle runs:

Here's the second full throttle run in Race 9: You clearly see a slower throttle opening rate, but that only lasts until approximately 18% compared to 41% in the picture above.

Finally, here is one more series. You'll notice in the second graph there is no hesitation at all.

Race 9; no hesitation. Time from off throttle to nearly 100% is .5 seconds.

Conclusion for today: When you go to the auto show, you'll see the SB demonstrations where they have a sample fly-by-wire throttle pedal connected to a sample electric throttle valve. In their demonstration, you'll witness a throttle valve angle response as if it was mechanical (connected to a cable)... a very fast rate of opening. While these graphs do prove the SB does improve throttle plate opening response times, it's not as instantaneous as their product demonstrations ... not as fast as a mechanical linkage. Perhaps this is unique to the MINI R56.

Can I perceive a difference from today's runs? What I noticed is a slightly improved initial acceleration from full off throttle. With the SB off (in my MINI), there seems to be a slight hesitation when I start to depress the accelerator, that disappears with the SB in race 9. It also appears the throttle in race 9 is less linear ... more response at an earlier range of pedal travel. Unfortunately, I didn't perform any part throttle scans.

Is it worth $300? I don't think so, but, I've got 30 days to try it out. My wife think's I've removed it from the car, but it's installed (race 9), so I'll let her tell me if she notices any difference.

Wendy at SB suggested I drive it a while thinking that the DME will have to learn my driving style. I'm not sure that's even possible, but I'll run some more scans in a week.
thank you for doing all the research with actual grass to show Real Results. This probably doesn't make a difference because the fly-by-wire but is this done at altitude or sea level?

Old 12-18-2018, 09:25 AM
mkov608
5th Gear
Pressure density doens't matter in this situation because I'm not measuring horsepower; I'm measuring the time it takes for the throttle plate to open ... 100% electronic. But just for grins, I'm at 18 feet above sea-level.

Old 12-18-2018, 04:56 PM
ammodave
5th Gear
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Tried the SB several years ago and didn't feel it was worth the money. I returned it for a refund. IIRC your 30 days starts when they shipped and ends when they actually get your return back in their hands.

Old 12-18-2018, 06:32 PM
MrGrumpy
6th Gear
Received 241 Likes on 207 Posts
I just installed one today. I don’t know about all the graphs, but driving it definitely makes a difference. Especially in my auto trans R60. With the sensitivity turned up to 8 or 9 on the sport setting, it makes the transmission downshift when I’ve always felt like it should. It usually just calls for more boost when you tip in a little bit. I have always wanted it to downshift instead. With the way that it works, it makes it shift where I like it. That alone makes it worth the $$ for me.

Old 12-28-2018, 06:37 PM
Gambedegallina
2nd Gear
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Have had earlier version of SB on 2013 MCS for several years. Noticeable SOP acceleration curve increase with both settings. Noticeable over Sport mode. Speaking of which, any tracking of throttle curve in and out of sport mode?

Old 01-07-2019, 08:55 AM
MrGrumpy
6th Gear
Received 241 Likes on 207 Posts
Now that I’ve had for a little bit, I still really like it and am quite pleased that I picked it up. Like I said before the amplification of the signal makes it downshift right where I want it to. And make it more responsive overall. For an example, I usually drive in sport mode most of the time, and one big reason is different throttle mapping with it on, although the pops are an added bonus, lol.
The other day I hopped back in after getting a coffee or something, and took off down the road. After a few minutes I started wondering if something was wrong with the car, because it wasn’t popping anymore... well that’s because I had forgotten to turn it back on when I restarted the car! The SB works so well I thought I was in sport because of the way it was responding with the SB on sport 8.

Old 01-09-2019, 04:31 AM
KCLARK
3rd Gear
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by cloverasx
I forget what my new throttle percentages Mario put on when I got my RPM tune, but the SB v3 made my car even more abrupt and even more throttle sensitive.
SB Race 9 setting with a tune will make your car feel HYPER! So if you running a bone stock mini then I would agree with mkov's testing, and would think its not doing much. However, I beg to differ on its use on a modded mini.
Everyone that's driven my car can immediately tell the difference in the throttle response. And from my point of view when comparing my JCW stock to how it is now modded with the SB, i wouldn't have it any other way. Having the SB is a piece of mod puzzle and imo will not do an impressive transformation to a stock mini with no mods.

If you intend to buy a SB, then go the full ride: get a downpipe, a intercooler mated with bigger piping, put in a panel filter to keep your torque, get a half inch bigger diameter exhaust MADE, you don't need to buy these $1000 buck pre-made systems for more flow, get an RPM tune from Mario, then put your SB on Race 9 and run it and come back on here and post if you still think its not worth the money, I'm telling you, YOU CAN FEEL THE DIFFERENCE!

Old 01-10-2019, 05:44 PM
PEneoark
2nd Gear
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I eventually want to get a stage 2 RPM from Mario, and I know he can tweak the throttle response, but I don't always want the throttle really responsive.

Old 01-10-2019, 07:17 PM
cloverasx
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by PEneoark
I eventually want to get a stage 2 RPM from Mario, and I know he can tweak the throttle response, but I don't always want the throttle really responsive.
Same here. I love the sound of the pops from sport mode, but I feel like keeping it non-sport mode has a more linear acceleration response which is easier to shift smoothly in slower traffic and works just fine if I need to stand on it. Can't wait for my stage 2!!