R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 catch can VS. factory OEM winter intake manifold. Pictures attached.

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2017, 02:35 PM
R56devotion
3rd Gear
Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts
catch can VS. factory OEM winter intake manifold. Pictures attached.

Relocated breather hose and ports with drain tubes
Throttle body attachment
Blocked off breather hose attachment and other hose connections
Sturdy construction
Looks like an easy way to add sea foam or fuel injection cleaner during service.
There are a number of threads about OCC and all the aftermarket stuff available. I like to utilize JCW and factory OEM parts when I can. This has been an interesting journey. How many valve covers and walnut blastings does corporate mini expect owners to do? I had one dealer tell me that valve covers should be done every 2 years and walnut blastings every year! Thats insane.
While I will agree that more frequent oil changes make sense to me, I am willing to make that concession. But the math doesn't always add up.
Which leads me to the factory OEM winter intake manifold. Our cars can strand us in cold weather when things ice up. And that makes me wildly uncomfortable - nobody should be stranded due to a design flaw in these cars. Attached are pictures fresh out of the box for the winter manifold. I am a bit unsure at all the changes, but some are obvious - with the rearranged drain tubes and the block off of the breather tube by the throttle body.
Enjoy the pictures and I will be update post when the car is driving and on the road with new parts installed.

Last edited by R56devotion; 09-12-2017 at 02:41 PM. Reason: Pictures
Old 09-12-2017, 06:34 PM
400mphpc
2nd Gear
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Very interested in your review.

Old 09-13-2017, 05:42 AM
bugeye1031
Received 80 Likes on 75 Posts
I put one of the winter intakes on my JCW about 10 months ago....they have a mixed reputation because the sealant on the line can deteriorate and leak over time. However, my MINI tech recommends them - believes they reduce the intake valve buildup. I installed two BSH oil catch cans about 3 months ago and so far I've gotten maybe 1/4 inch of oil in the passenger side can and zero oil in the driver side catch can.

I had my intake valves blasted when I installed the winter intake manifold at 56,000 miles and I have about 74,000 miles on it now....I'll watch this thread and post as I have more results to share.

Old 09-13-2017, 03:13 PM
400mphpc
2nd Gear
Hey Bugeye,
Would you mind posting pics of your catch can set up or PM me with them? I'm in the middle of flushing out a low idle stumble and thinking of the PCV delete plan. Just want to see another example of the OCC set up.

Thanks,
Chris

Old 09-13-2017, 03:20 PM
R56devotion
3rd Gear
The most obvious difference is that the pass left rear PVC attachment on the stock valve cover no longer wraps under the intake to connect to the throttle body. No more freezing throttle body.
It seems unlikely that the carbon will be less, but it may be more evenly distributed as each intake tract has a feeding tube. It also seems likely that this will be easier to check/inspect and clean in the future.
If it doesn't function as hoped, it can always be converted to H20 mist sprayers.

Old 09-13-2017, 09:00 PM
squawSkiBum
Received 302 Likes on 223 Posts
I'd plumb in an OCC between the valve cover PVC attach and the intake runners. Conveniently there's a hose clamp you can remove to make the connection.

Old 09-14-2017, 07:26 AM
bugeye1031
Received 80 Likes on 75 Posts
Originally Posted by 400mphpc
Hey Bugeye,
Would you mind posting pics of your catch can set up or PM me with them? I'm in the middle of flushing out a low idle stumble and thinking of the PCV delete plan. Just want to see another example of the OCC set up.

Thanks,
Chris
Here are some pictures of my current setup.

Attached Thumbnails catch can VS. factory OEM winter intake manifold. Pictures attached.-img_20170914_100754.jpg   catch can VS. factory OEM winter intake manifold. Pictures attached.-img_20170914_100650.jpg   catch can VS. factory OEM winter intake manifold. Pictures attached.-img_20170914_100657.jpg   catch can VS. factory OEM winter intake manifold. Pictures attached.-img_20170914_100712.jpg   catch can VS. factory OEM winter intake manifold. Pictures attached.-img_20170914_100743.jpg  

The following users liked this post:
Neal3000 (09-15-2017)
Old 09-18-2017, 11:30 AM
R56devotion
3rd Gear
Factory JCW accessory air box top with cone filter
2010 R56 air box bottom and factory N18 boost tube to throttle body that allows me to remove noise maker device on fire wall
Same N18 hose which is hard plastic and black rubber sealing ring
Must use this sealing ring!
Factory hose clamps are like no other. These are designed to fit properly and not slip off. Norma brand .
Upper hose clamp for pass side upper boost tube
Techs have been here before! Be careful when removing boost tube. It's very snug and throttle body collar is hard plastic. These can crack. Take your time!
Clean and avoid prying with oversize tools.
OEM winter manifold installed. Note relocation of pvc breather tube.
Make sure clips and hoses are routed properly.
That elbow is easy to break!
Notice black cap with green dot. This is a block off plug that allows breather to be relocated.
Check rubber grommets and make sure air box base fits in with snug fit.
Same
This rubber ring must be installed on N18 noise maker delete hose, BEFORE you attach to throttle body
Ensure that the factory clip is within the side grooves so that the connection is leak free.
Orientation of the hose clamp is critical to allow for proper tightening.
This gap is normal as the compression ring beneath secures the clamp.
Stay between the edges to avoid tearing the collar. You can't see this when installed.
Keep screw head vertical.
The rubber seal DOES NOT go over the throttle body indents
Align top of boost tube before tightening lower clamps. This allows both to seat properly.
Center Norma clamp between the channels.
It's easy to crack this upper hose by overtightening and forcing it. Be delicate.
For final tighten, keep screw head vertical and use both handles to ensure that clamp stays in the channels.
Done
Drivers side bottom of air box. Make sure that the fresh air intake tube is seated properly and the oring didn't get pinched!
Stock R56 air box bottom secured to top of the winter manifold. Lube grommets and don't rush. Torx head required for pass corner side fastener.
Pass corner grommet
Very easy to break the plastic tit that secures wiring to mass air flow meter. Don't force anything. Clip lifts from bottom.
Secure right rear tab on air box cover and then straighten out to line up torx heads.
Rear shot of the Jcw air box top. These clips must engage to ensure proper fit. This will require some fuss when the seal is new.
More clips in the rear
Align slots in hose clamp on mass air flow tube.
Don't over tighten
Wrong orientation
Correct fit

bugeye1031 (09-22-2017)
Old 09-20-2017, 09:27 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,966 Likes on 1,766 Posts
Very cool! You are using the very low price (hope it will stay that way) MINI factory Cold Climate manifold. I have only seen these on Canada MINIs and some US MINI way up north. Mentioned here.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...e-version.html

Nice write up.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 09-20-2017, 12:44 PM
MandosMini
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2 occ on r56

Originally Posted by bugeye1031
I put one of the winter intakes on my JCW about 10 months ago....they have a mixed reputation because the sealant on the line can deteriorate and leak over time. However, my MINI tech recommends them - believes they reduce the intake valve buildup. I installed two BSH oil catch cans about 3 months ago and so far I've gotten maybe 1/4 inch of oil in the passenger side can and zero oil in the driver side catch can.

I had my intake valves blasted when I installed the winter intake manifold at 56,000 miles and I have about 74,000 miles on it now....I'll watch this thread and post as I have more results to share.
I have a 2008 MCS. I have 1 occ installed on the driver side but i want to add a 2nd one to the passenger side. My question is how and where ddd u place your second occ ? Thank you

Old 09-20-2017, 01:18 PM
R56devotion
3rd Gear
"I had my intake valves blasted when I installed the winter intake manifold at 56,000 miles and I have about 74,000 miles on it now....I'll watch this thread and post as I have more results to share."

i will do the same. As my CB was just done for the 3rd time with the manifold installed. It will be great to have some field data and see what value these kits have, if any.

Old 09-25-2017, 12:38 PM
R56devotion
3rd Gear
Well first impressions are that there is no " down side" yet to this replacement. Car is starting quickly and idles well. Smooth power under WOT. Not quite as zippy, but overall the car is well behaved and I'm looking forward to the super cold 20's weather this winter to see how it goes. I am curious about MPG and how much condensation comes out the tail pipe.

Old 09-25-2017, 01:17 PM
400mphpc
2nd Gear
Enjoyed this update and feedback. Nice job R56devotion. Well, I went forward and replaced my Intake manifold (old style to the newer Cold weather model), vacuum lines and Valve Cover. Thanks ECS Tuning for the quick delivery! My car had a low idle surge and I just could not sort it out. Finally found a leak on one of the bolts in my valve cover near the Turbo where I can only guess the heat got to it over the years. Replaced all three items and my problem is no longer there. The car is smooth at idle (700 RPM's flat) and feels more strong. Next move is to sort out this OCC. I'm running the Forge Intake Pipe and hoses, so I need to get ta little more creative.

Finished - New Valve Cover, Vac Lines, Cold Weather Intake.

New Cold weather intake in place.

ECSTuning (09-25-2017)
Old 09-25-2017, 01:18 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,966 Likes on 1,766 Posts
Originally Posted by 400mphpc
Enjoyed this update and feedback. Nice job R56devotion. Well, I went forward and replaced my Intake manifold (old style to the newer Cold weather model), vacuum lines and Valve Cover. Thanks ECS Tuning for the quick delivery! My car had a low idle surge and I just could not sort it out. Finally found a leak on one of the bolts in my valve cover near the Turbo where I can only guess the heat got to it over the years. Replaced all three items and my problem is no longer there. The car is smooth at idle (700 RPM's flat) and feels more strong. Next move is to sort out this OCC. I'm running the Forge Intake Pipe and hoses, so I need to get ta little more creative.

Finished - New Valve Cover, Vac Lines, Cold Weather Intake.

New Cold weather intake in place.

Welcome!

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172