R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 P0301 - r55s n18

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2016, 05:43 PM
Flyinace2000
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
P0301 - r55s n18

Hello all,

About the car: 47800 miles. 2011 Clubman S (N18)

Today i got a check engine light and the guys at pepboys pulled the code for me. P0301 - Misfire Cylinder 1.

It only happens when under load/boost. So at most gears >3k and at a high throttle position. This means i can drive around shifting before 3k and going easy on the throttle without issue. The issues does not occur if i put her in 6th at 30mph (so 1800rpm'ish) and floor it.

I don't have a code scanner/reader otherwise i would do the below procedure.

I did remove the cylinder 1 spark plug. Here are some photos from before I brushed it off. After installation the issue remains. Thought I might of gotten lucky, but nope.

Any chance this is covered under my CPO warranty (from MINI 6yr/100k)? If its not the plugs/coils what else could it be?

If you have fault codes for specific cylinder misfires, the first step is to swap the ignition coil assembly from the indicated cylinder, with the coil assembly from another cylinder. Next, clear the fault codes and drive the vehicle. If the fault code now comes up indicating the new cylinder location (the cylinder that the coil was moved to), you can assume that the coil assembly is at fault and replace the coil. If the original fault code returns (same cylinder as the original misfire code), you can assume that the fault involves this specific cylinder. The fault could be a fouled or worn spark plug, fuel injector problem, vacuum leak at this cylinder or a mechanical problem within the cylinder (leaking intake or exhaust valve, carbon build-up, etc.).

If the fault code returns to the original cylinder, after the coil swap and code clearing (as noted above), the next course of action should be to inspect the spark plug. The plug may be worn or fouled, causing the misfire. If the spark plug looks visibly fine (if not, replace it), swap it with another cylinder, similar to the coil swap. Clear the fault codes and see if the fault returns. In the same manner as the coil swap, test, if the fault code moves to the new cylinder, replace the spark plug (in fact, you should just replace them all, in this case). If the code returns on the original cylinder, further testing and diagnosis will be required in order to determine if the fault is caused by the fuel injector, a vacuum leak or an issue within the cylinder.

Last edited by Flyinace2000; 04-17-2016 at 05:58 PM.
Old 04-17-2016, 09:34 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
Should be covered, need new plugs at a minimum!

Old 04-18-2016, 05:35 AM
Flyinace2000
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Minnie.the.Moocher
Should be covered, need new plugs at a minimum!
Yeah, they have 47k on them, might replace them as a matter of maintenance, as spark plugs are not covered under the CPO 6yr/100k.

Old 04-18-2016, 09:03 AM
Flyinace2000
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Flyinace2000
Yeah, they have 47k on them, might replace them as a matter of maintenance, as spark plugs are not covered under the CPO 6yr/100k.
I just did the replacement since it wouldn't be covered anyway. Issue still remains, but at least I have 4 fresh spark plugs. Still only happens at 4k RPM. Seems that when it happens it is like have a rev limiter @ 4k rpm.

Old 04-18-2016, 10:02 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
So did you swap the ignition coil on cylinder 1 with a different cylinder to see if it follows? http://www.obd-codes.com/p0301 just some possible causes and things to check, which is pretty much indicated in your quote in the first post.

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 04-18-2016, 01:35 PM
Flyinace2000
6th Gear
Originally Posted by PelicanParts.com
So did you swap the ignition coil on cylinder 1 with a different cylinder to see if it follows? http://www.obd-codes.com/p0301 just some possible causes and things to check, which is pretty much indicated in your quote in the first post.
I have not done that yet simply because I don't have a code reader at home. So even if i did swap the coils I wouldn't be able to tell if the symptom moved.

So at this point that coil should be covered by the CPO warranty. Scheduled to go in on Wednesday morning.

Old 04-20-2016, 12:25 PM
Flyinace2000
6th Gear
Dealership just called.

Said they can't continue until they put in "Mini" spark plugs. $268 (148 for labor & $120 for parts). I told them I was hoping they would do more than just throw parts at the problem and to move the ignition coil from cyl1 to cyl2 to see if the problem moves. Just don't assume the brand new spark plugs are ALSO faulty. She said she would talk to her foreman and get back to me. Yeah. you do that.

Old 04-20-2016, 12:31 PM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
What spark plugs did you use?

Old 04-20-2016, 12:34 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
Spark plug replacement for an experienced Mini mechanic has got to be 15 minutes max, $148 is wow!

Old 04-20-2016, 12:52 PM
Mini Mania
Banned
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
R55 Clubman

Dealership just called.

Said they can't continue until they put in "Mini" spark plugs. $268 (148 for labor & $120 for parts). I told them I was hoping they would do more than just throw parts at the problem and to move the ignition coil from cyl1 to cyl2 to see if the problem moves. Just don't assume the brand new spark plugs are ALSO faulty. She said she would talk to her foreman and get back to me. Yeah. you do that.
A little high for plugs:

http://new.minimania.com/part/G2NME3015/

Seems way high to install!

Old 04-20-2016, 12:59 PM
Flyinace2000
6th Gear
@Pelican
I went with what was local from Advanced Auto Parts
Denso SC20HR11 Iridium Long Life Spark Plug

@Minnie
I know! It was my first time and it took me 1 hour. Next time will probably take 20 minutes.

@MiniMania
ECS has 4 for $90, MiniMania is $100, Mini Dealership is $120.

Just got a call back.

"They did that already" (regarding the moving the ignition coil move). Ok.... what about using the original plugs I gave you (the ones w/ 48k miles on them). Oh, those didn't look to good and needed to be replaced.

At this point it would be cheaper for me to buy 4 plugs from any of you guys, go install them while the car is in their parking lot and give it back to them.

I'm going to tell them to try one of my old plugs from cyl2-4 in cyl1. Those should be "known" good plugs. Otherwise, I have two options.

1. Pay the $150 diagnostics and walk away. Not ideal since anything put plugs should be covered under warranty.
2. They put in the MINI plugs but if the issues isn't resolved, their is no charge and they continue with the warranty work.
3. They put in 1 brand new Mini plug to test their theory.
4. Option 4, i just pay, but i show up tomorrow morning and eat ALL of their muffins and coffee.

Last edited by Flyinace2000; 04-20-2016 at 01:26 PM.
Old 04-20-2016, 01:37 PM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Hm, well the Beru ZR-6 SPP2-1 OEM supplier replacement plugs are only $47 for 4 HERE, which is way less than the dealer. I'd just be curious as to why they think the plugs need to be replaced, i.e. if they believe they are incorrect for your MINI. You may have better luck at an Indy MINI shop to help you track down the issue if you feel that the dealer may not be your best option. Dealer prices will always be very high for most repairs. You could go to the indy shop and have them diagnose the issue for a fee and if what you find is in fact covered under your warranty you can go back to the dealer. Regardless, I say you eat the muffins and drink the coffee.

Old 04-20-2016, 03:28 PM
Flyinace2000
6th Gear
Originally Posted by PelicanParts.com
Hm, well the Beru ZR-6 SPP2-1 OEM supplier replacement plugs are only $47 for 4 HERE, which is way less than the dealer. I'd just be curious as to why they think the plugs need to be replaced, i.e. if they believe they are incorrect for your MINI. You may have better luck at an Indy MINI shop to help you track down the issue if you feel that the dealer may not be your best option. Dealer prices will always be very high for most repairs. You could go to the indy shop and have them diagnose the issue for a fee and if what you find is in fact covered under your warranty you can go back to the dealer. Regardless, I say you eat the muffins and drink the coffee.
Just got off the phone with the foreman. They ended up putting in 1 MINI OEM plug in CYL1 and the symptoms went away. I said fine, I'm already into it for $150 for diagnostics, but I want a better price for the plugs. He said the service manager will have to call me in the morning. No one is empowered to do anything at dealerships.

Anyway, if the OEM plugs truely do fix the issue I'll bring back the Denso plugs to Advanced Auto. I'm still not convinced. If it was plugs wouldn't it be all cylinders...

Old 04-20-2016, 03:59 PM
ColoCoug
3rd Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
You should replace ALL the plugs. They're cheap and it's a 20-minute job for anyone with opposable thumbs. Buy the wrenches required and a tube of anti-sieze, the job will pay for itself.

Don't screw around with replacing ONE spark plug. What a waste of effort.

If the miss stays, then swap the coils on cylinders 1 & 2. If the miss moves with the coil, replace the coil.

Old 04-20-2016, 04:12 PM
Flyinace2000
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ColoCoug
You should replace ALL the plugs. They're cheap and it's a 20-minute job for anyone with opposable thumbs. Buy the wrenches required and a tube of anti-sieze, the job will pay for itself.

Don't screw around with replacing ONE spark plug. What a waste of effort.

If the miss stays, then swap the coils on cylinders 1 & 2. If the miss moves with the coil, replace the coil.
Yes, obviously I'll do all four if they don't charge me $120 for four. Otherwise I'll DIY it.

Old 04-20-2016, 05:30 PM
Mini Mania
Banned
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
$87.82 with the April discount

@Pelican
I went with what was local from Advanced Auto Parts
Denso SC20HR11 Iridium Long Life Spark Plug

@Minnie
I know! It was my first time and it took me 1 hour. Next time will probably take 20 minutes.

@MiniMania
ECS has 4 for $90, MiniMania is $100, Mini Dealership is $120.

Just got a call back.

"They did that already" (regarding the moving the ignition coil move). Ok.... what about using the original plugs I gave you (the ones w/ 48k miles on them). Oh, those didn't look to good and needed to be replaced.

At this point it would be cheaper for me to buy 4 plugs from any of you guys, go install them while the car is in their parking lot and give it back to them.

I'm going to tell them to try one of my old plugs from cyl2-4 in cyl1. Those should be "known" good plugs. Otherwise, I have two options.

1. Pay the $150 diagnostics and walk away. Not ideal since anything put plugs should be covered under warranty.
2. They put in the MINI plugs but if the issues isn't resolved, their is no charge and they continue with the warranty work.
3. They put in 1 brand new Mini plug to test their theory.
4. Option 4, i just pay, but i show up tomorrow morning and eat ALL of their muffins and coffee.

Old 04-20-2016, 09:29 PM
ColoCoug
3rd Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Yes, obviously I'll do all four if they don't charge me $120 for four. Otherwise I'll DIY it.
Fair enough. I helped my non-mechanical 26-year-old daughter change hers two weekends ago. I think the total cost for the four Beru plugs and the special plug socket was about $85 from ECS tuning. It's one of the easiest jobs you can ask for.

The gent from Pelican Parts is extremely helpful here, but the price on the needed spark plug socket was a good deal lower at ECS. Pelican will get more $$ from me on other parts before long, I'm quite sure!

It's just like BMW/Mini to use plugs that can't be removed with either of the two sizes of spark plug sockets that have been in use on every car in the universe for the past 40 years.

Old 04-20-2016, 09:49 PM
renchjeep
6th Gear
Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts
I have the NGK 5992 ILZKBR7A-8G plugs in my 2011 MCS installed myself at 27.5k. Last time I was at the dealer for a misfire (about 34k), they told me my plugs were fine, and replaced all 4 coil packs under my aftermarket Hendricks warranty. Plugs had about 7k on them at that point. Since then, no more misfires. I am currently at 56k. About to do plugs again, just for maintenance. I would highly suspect a failing coil pack.

Old 04-21-2016, 04:28 AM
Flyinace2000
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ColoCoug
Fair enough. I helped my non-mechanical 26-year-old daughter change hers two weekends ago. I think the total cost for the four Beru plugs and the special plug socket was about $85 from ECS tuning. It's one of the easiest jobs you can ask for.

The gent from Pelican Parts is extremely helpful here, but the price on the needed spark plug socket was a good deal lower at ECS. Pelican will get more $$ from me on other parts before long, I'm quite sure!

It's just like BMW/Mini to use plugs that can't be removed with either of the two sizes of spark plug sockets that have been in use on every car in the universe for the past 40 years.
Yeah, lets see what the dealership says. At this point if they think its just plugs then I am on the hook for either $150 diagnostics or $148 in labor to install the plugs. So it's a wash. As long as they drop the price a bit on the parts I'll have them do it so that when it fails again (which i think it will) I can go back and say WTF guys?

Old 04-21-2016, 05:10 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,964 Likes on 1,764 Posts
Sometimes its just one plug that fails , i would pull all the plugs and look at them, if they have carbon build up on them I would just just replace all four, saves a trip to the dealers.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 04-21-2016, 05:53 AM
Flyinace2000
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ECSTuning
Sometimes its just one plug that fails , i would pull all the plugs and look at them, if they have carbon build up on them I would just just replace all four, saves a trip to the dealers.
The original 4 plugs were definetly on their way out. Plug 1 did look a little worse (see photos in first post).

Just spoke to the service manager. Since I was already into this for the 1 hours labor (or diagnosis) I told them to install 4 new plugs. He said he would get parts to give me a slight discount (they usually do when i buy parts from them 10% or something). So new plugs will be $112. But at least now when it fails again, they can't blame the plugs.

Lessoned learned...buy the OEM brand before bring it to the dealer cause they will play the blame game.

Old 04-21-2016, 12:41 PM
Flyinace2000
6th Gear
The original 4 plugs were definetly on their way out. Plug 1 did look a little worse (see photos in first post).

Just spoke to the service manager. Since I was already into this for the 1 hours labor (or diagnosis) I told them to install 4 new plugs. He said he would get parts to give me a slight discount (they usually do when i buy parts from them 10% or something). So new plugs will be $112. But at least now when it fails again, they can't blame the plugs.

Lessoned learned...buy the OEM brand before bring it to the dealer cause they will play the blame game.
They dropped the price to $22/plug. Car does feel better. no misfires.

I've ordered a OBD2 scanner. No more dealer if i can help it!