R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 2009 Mini Cooper Hatch Base @ 95K - Insight

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2016, 01:32 PM
thelawson
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 Mini Cooper Hatch Base @ 95K - Insight

Long story short - I was involved in a left turn collision (other driver turned into oncoming traffic) and my daily driver (2008 Scion XB) was totaled. He was determined to be 100% at fault. I'm from the Subaru community (own a 2016 STI) and am in a rush to find a replacement DD (my roundtrip commute to work is 2hrs/90 miles). I came across a 2009 mini cooper hatch auto base with 95K miles for $6K at a local VW dealer. It seems to be in good shape. However, the CarFax indicates it was in an accident in 2013. Apparently, it was front end impact and disabling damage was reported (carfax was clean other than that - it was sold as a mini certified vehicle in 2012 prior to the accident). At the end of the day, I don't really care too much about the fact that it was in an accident. What I do care about is whether or not this thing is good for another 150,000 miles or so. The accident that I was in occurred last Saturday and I was notified today that my Scion is a total loss. Other driver's insurance company only has me in a rental through this Monday (03/28) so I don't have a ton of time or else I'd do heavy research on my own. If anyone could give me some insight as to what to look for and if I should stay away from this high mileage mini, it would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks! - Ken

Old 03-23-2016, 01:55 PM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Sorry to hear about your misfortune, Ken. Happy to hear that you were fine from this accident. I too was recently in one the other week (someone rear ended my STi), but very minor. I'm in a rental for 2 weeks, no fun. Anyways, I'd check over the maintenance records and see what has been fixed/replaced/maintained so far. I'd be curious about what has been replaced and what routine items have been done. If it seems to be well maintained and in good shape, it should be a good commuter for you. The N12's don't seem to have as many issues as the N14 (turbocharged engines). Also, be sure to check out truecar.com, cars.com, auto trader for price comparisons in your area. KBB is a good base to get for a pricing point as well. I'm sure others will have great input for you as well.

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 03-23-2016, 02:06 PM
thelawson
1st Gear
Originally Posted by PelicanParts.com
Sorry to hear about your misfortune, Ken. Happy to hear that you were fine from this accident. I too was recently in one the other week (someone rear ended my STi), but very minor. I'm in a rental for 2 weeks, no fun. Anyways, I'd check over the maintenance records and see what has been fixed/replaced/maintained so far. I'd be curious about what has been replaced and what routine items have been done. If it seems to be well maintained and in good shape, it should be a good commuter for you. The N12's don't seem to have as many issues as the N14 (turbocharged engines). Also, be sure to check out truecar.com, cars.com, auto trader for price comparisons in your area. KBB is a good base to get for a pricing point as well. I'm sure others will have great input for you as well.
Thank you for your insight! Yes both myself and the other driver were okay. I was going around 35mph... I'm sorry to hear that someone rear ended your STI!!! That's much worse than me totaling my xB lol.

Notable Carfax maintenance:
Brake fluid flushed/changed in January 2011
Tires replaced in December 2011
Involved in front end accident disabling damage in April 2013
Brake fluid flushed/changed in July 2014
Spark plugs replaced in July 2014
New tires in October 2014
Brakes serviced in May 2015
Dealer inventory - oil changed - December 2015

Old 03-23-2016, 02:15 PM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
You're welcome. Yes, I was at a dead stop and bam. I was not happy, but glad it wasn't worse than it was. One note I'd add, I'd be curious about the cooling system and if it has ever been maintained, meaning a coolant flush, or replaced the thermostat/water pump. The cooling system is often neglected. I'd just check for any oil leaks or coolant leaks as well. Also, ask if the automatic transmission fluid and filter has ever been changed.

Old 03-23-2016, 08:24 PM
Mister
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I spent some years driving a 2002 WRX, I sold it to a friend who didn't like the squeal from the performance brake upgrades I installed. He swapped them out for the stock brakes and ironically within a couple of days he rear-ended a city bus and totaled it. Pathetic story really, but it seemed relevant lol

I love driving a Mini now, coming from a Subaru is what I was really getting to !
My gf drives a 2016 crosstrek with a 5-spd so I can still get my fix

Good luck with the hunt, and sorry to hear about the Scion!

Old 03-23-2016, 08:27 PM
thelawson
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Mister
I spent some years driving a 2002 WRX, I sold it to a friend who didn't like the squeal from the performance brake upgrades I installed. He swapped them out for the stock brakes and ironically within a couple of days he rear-ended a city bus and totaled it. Pathetic story really, but it seemed relevant lol

I love driving a Mini now, coming from a Subaru is what I was really getting to !
My gf drives a 2016 crosstrek with a 5-spd so I can still get my fix

Good luck with the hunt, and sorry to hear about the Scion!
Lol wow that's quite the story... Crazy how he didn't have the car for very long and totaled it. Those bugeyes are becoming unicorns...

Not to go off on a tangent, but I'm located in NNJ and am somewhat curious how these minis are in the snow/sleet. They seem to be very low to the ground...

Old 03-23-2016, 09:01 PM
Mister
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by thelawson
Those bugeyes are becoming unicorns...
I don't wanna talk about it anymore

Lol

Can't speak for the snow or ice, I've read some horror stories on the forums though. I moved from Santa Rosa Beach, FL to the Bay Area in CA

Old 03-24-2016, 07:42 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
With a good set of snow tires the MINI should mob through the snow. A lot of members here will tell you how well their MINI performs in it. HERE is one that was a snow plow the other day.

Old 03-25-2016, 06:02 PM
thelawson
1st Gear
So just a quick update. The original mini was sold and now I'm looking at a different one (2009 Mini Cooper base automatic with 82k miles). It had a CEL and multiple codes were pulled (p0303 and p013a). Dealer replaced spark plugs and cylinder 3 coil pack (I think). I need to verify when I get home. Service records also indicated something about an issue with B1S3 and the CEL may return? Bank one sensor three? The CEL was not on when I test drove it. I'm not sure if I should just stay away from this one because of these codes? I perused the forums and it appears diagnosing the exact issue causing these codes can be difficult. Car is mint otherwise. Any insight appreciated.

Last edited by thelawson; 03-25-2016 at 06:11 PM.