R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Weird Idling/Starting Problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2016, 10:29 AM
minibeer
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Weird Idling/Starting Problem - UPDATE

I have researched the **** out of this and found nothing conclusive, I'm hoping that someone else has experienced this.

2011 Mini Clubman S - 75000 miles.

This started about a year ago. In the morning when I start the car for the first time:

1- Starts normally

2- About 15 second of running smooth it starts idling very rough to the point just before stalling. If I give it a little gas it gets better but immediately returns to rough idle.

3- Let it idle like this for anywhere from 15-40 seconds then it instantly goes back to normal, smooth idle.

If I don't want to sit there and wait for it to get through this, I shut it off and restart it and everything is perfect.

If I try to drive before its completed the rough idle and returned to normal(or before I've restarted it in the driveway), it will do this for miles down the road until I pull over and restart it, at which point it runs like a new car.

Last year it was the high pressure fuel pump. The only 2 differences were that last year, the fuel pressure reading was low and it would run crappy the entire trip, not just on startup.
I thought it was the fuel pump again, took it to the shop and the fuel rail pressure is fine, so its not the pump again.

No check engine light, no stored error codes from the scan. Otherwise it runs flawlessly. When this started a few months ago it only did this in the morning. Then it was also in the afternoon after I get off work. Now it's in the morning, in the afternoon, and sometimes in the evening if I go back out. It's getting progressively worse. I thought it was carbon buildup but outside of this rough idle symptom it runs perfect. Lots of power, no hesitation, no symptoms of carbon/plugs/coils/ignition breakdown/etc.

I'm going to take it back into the shop so they can look at it for a few days but I'm trying to find something in the meantime.

Last edited by minibeer; 03-04-2016 at 10:31 AM.
Old 01-13-2016, 06:38 PM
GAT
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by minibeer
I have researched the **** out of this and found nothing conclusive, I'm hoping that someone else has experienced this.

This started about a year ago. In the morning when I start the car for the first time:

1- Starts normally

2- About 15 second of running smooth it starts idling very rough to the point just before stalling. If I give it a little gas it gets better but immediately returns to rough idle.

3- Let it idle like this for anywhere from 15-40 seconds then it instantly goes back to normal, smooth idle.

If I don't want to sit there and wait for it to get through this, I shut it off and restart it and everything is perfect.

If I try to drive before its completed the rough idle and returned to normal(or before I've restarted it in the driveway), it will do this for miles down the road until I pull over and restart it, at which point it runs like a new car.

Last year it was the high pressure fuel pump. The only 2 differences were that last year, the fuel pressure reading was low and it would run crappy the entire trip, not just on startup.
I thought it was the fuel pump again, took it to the shop and the fuel rail pressure is fine, so its not the pump again.

No check engine light, no stored error codes from the scan. Otherwise it runs flawlessly. When this started a few months ago it only did this in the morning. Then it was also in the afternoon after I get off work. Now it's in the morning, in the afternoon, and sometimes in the evening if I go back out. It's getting progressively worse. I thought it was carbon buildup but outside of this rough idle symptom it runs perfect. Lots of power, no hesitation, no symptoms of carbon/plugs/coils/ignition breakdown/etc.

I'm going to take it back into the shop so they can look at it for a few days but I'm trying to find something in the meantime.
Please keep us posted. I have the same symptoms although mine randomly throws all different misfire codes on occasion. I just swapped plugs, no difference. I've been manually cleaning the carbon buildup off my intake valves for the past 2 days. I'll update you on my progress once I reassemble everything tomorrow. Mine is an 07 MCS with 65k miles, atla intake, Borla cat-back back. I'm hoping it's not the HPFP although I have yet to produce a fuel code

Old 01-13-2016, 06:44 PM
minibeer
2nd Gear
Will do. I wish mine would throw a code so at least we knew in what direction to start looking. I purposely let it run until it almost stalls (hasn't stalled yet) just to give it time to recognize a fault but so far it hasn't. God forbid I don't tighten the gas cap and I get a code but it runs like this and everything's fine lol. I did plugs and coils last year so I don't think it's that. Plus the fact that once it finishes its temper tantrum it runs like a new car is confusing.

Last edited by minibeer; 01-13-2016 at 06:49 PM.
Old 01-14-2016, 08:40 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Not sure if this is related at all, but besides changing your plugs and coils last year, what other maintenance have you done to the vehicle? What about the fuel filter?

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 01-14-2016, 08:52 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,966 Likes on 1,766 Posts

1- Starts normally

Do you live in a very cold area ?

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 01-14-2016, 04:17 PM
minibeer
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by PelicanParts.com
Not sure if this is related at all, but besides changing your plugs and coils last year, what other maintenance have you done to the vehicle? What about the fuel filter?
Oil/filter, air filter. I haven't done the fuel filter, couldn't hurt, but I suspect if it was a fuel filter problem I would have problems all the time and not just at startup. After the problem goes away, the car runs like a top.

Old 01-14-2016, 04:18 PM
minibeer
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by ECSTuning
Do you live in a very cold area ?
Not at all, Florida. It's "cold" this week (50s/60s) but the problem is the same at all temperatures.

Old 01-15-2016, 06:20 AM
GAT
3rd Gear
Not at all, Florida. It's "cold" this week (50s/60s) but the problem is the same at all temperatures.
Are you certain that you don't have a carbon issue? I had the same exact symptoms which progressively got much worse within a matter of 2 months. I finally rolled up my sleeves and cleaned off my intake valves (finished the job yesterday) and the symptoms are completely gone. I started the car this morning in 34 degree, wet weather, and it fired and idled perfectly.

Old 01-15-2016, 07:04 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
I would check the intake side of the valves. Looks for carbon build up..

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-cleaning.html

Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 01-15-2016, 10:20 AM
minibeer
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by GAT
Are you certain that you don't have a carbon issue? I had the same exact symptoms which progressively got much worse within a matter of 2 months. I finally rolled up my sleeves and cleaned off my intake valves (finished the job yesterday) and the symptoms are completely gone. I started the car this morning in 34 degree, wet weather, and it fired and idled perfectly.
I'm not certain that I don't have a carbon problem. However the problem I'm having with the car is only on startup. After it stops acting up it runs great. Lots of power, no misfires, smooth idle, and no codes.
The only other weird thing I've encountered, and this may just be Mini, is a sort of 'turbo surge'. This only happens in Sport mode. I'll take off in 1st gear and start accelerating and I can feel what I can only explain as the car wanting to go faster than I want it to go. Like it's eager to be further down the accelerator and it doesn't want to wait for me. It doesn't take off uncontrollably or anything, it just feels like the turbo is surging. It's not a smooth consistent acceleration. It's not rough or absent acceleration, it's just weird. Perhaps this has something to do with the carbon buildup?

Old 01-15-2016, 10:24 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Once the build-up reaches the maximum tolerable level, the engine will begin to run rough and misfire. You may have a rough idle, poor acceleration, stalling or single to multiple cylinder misfires. It wouldn't hurt to check your valves for build up. This is what you'll want to look for.

Old 01-15-2016, 10:38 AM
minibeer
2nd Gear
I'm not sure what the timeline for buildup is so I guess carbon could be a good possibilty. I bought the car in 2013 @ 47k and currently have 76k on it. It has not been cleaned during my ownership. I use only Shell 93 and Liquimoly oil.

Old 01-15-2016, 10:43 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
I'm not sure what the timeline for buildup is so I guess carbon could be a good possibilty. I bought the car in 2013 @ 47k and currently have 76k on it. It has not been cleaned during my ownership. I use only Shell 93 and Liquimoly oil.
Time for a carbon check up. If you do allot of short stops and no long drive, it tends to build up faster and more oftern.

DIY linked below.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-cleaning.html

Old 01-15-2016, 10:51 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Just about every 50,000 miles the intake valves need to be cleaned to maintain optimum engine performance. But, now that I think about it, your Clubman is the N18, which has been said to not have the same intense carbon build up issues as the N14 so this may not be your issue. Check out the threads below for more info.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...n-buildup.html
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...8-engines.html

Last edited by PelicanParts.com; 01-15-2016 at 10:57 AM.
Old 01-15-2016, 10:57 AM
GAT
3rd Gear
I'm not certain that I don't have a carbon problem. However the problem I'm having with the car is only on startup. After it stops acting up it runs great. Lots of power, no misfires, smooth idle, and no codes.
The only other weird thing I've encountered, and this may just be Mini, is a sort of 'turbo surge'. This only happens in Sport mode. I'll take off in 1st gear and start accelerating and I can feel what I can only explain as the car wanting to go faster than I want it to go. Like it's eager to be further down the accelerator and it doesn't want to wait for me. It doesn't take off uncontrollably or anything, it just feels like the turbo is surging. It's not a smooth consistent acceleration. It's not rough or absent acceleration, it's just weird. Perhaps this has something to do with the carbon buildup?
My issues were only present during startup as well. The car was great after the initial stuttering/farting/coughing. From what you've described and what Ive experienced first hand I would most certainly say that your issue is carbon related.

It's recommendEd that you change your plugs after a carbon cleaning. Mine were less than a week old so I pulled them and the coil packs out.

Old 01-16-2016, 06:23 AM
minibeer
2nd Gear
I think I'm going to do the cleaning, either myself or at my local shop. If it needs to be done anyway, at least it will eliminate that from the equation and possibly solve the problem. Thank you all for your feedback, I will keep this updated with my results.

Old 01-16-2016, 06:53 AM
GAT
3rd Gear
I think I'm going to do the cleaning, either myself or at my local shop. If it needs to be done anyway, at least it will eliminate that from the equation and possibly solve the problem. Thank you all for your feedback, I will keep this updated with my results.
Sounds good. Feel free to PM me should you have any questions.

Old 01-16-2016, 07:58 PM
renchjeep
6th Gear
Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts
I had similar issues on my 2011 MCS hatch. Thought it was the HPFP (again). Took it to the nearest MINI dealer, they had it for over a week, said the HPFP was still good, this time it was the coil packs. They said my Iridium NGK's were fine still, replaced all 4 coil packs under my aftermarket warranty, all good for months now. Still waiting for carbon buildup issues on an N18. Not that it can't, or won't happen, just have not heard much of that issue on the N18 yet. Anyone seeing confirmed carbon buildup issues on the N18?

I run mine pretty (very) hard, and that seems to maybe be a key to keeping carbon buildup at bay. Maybe. I also have a 30 mile drive to work on twisties, with a bit of a highway blast, and another back home 4 days per week. I am running SeaFoam in the fuel tank when I remember to do so.....maybe every 5 fill-ups. I know that does nothing for the valves, but maybe keeps my injectors cleaner-ish? I can only get 91 octane here in SoCal, so doing the best I can.

Last edited by renchjeep; 01-16-2016 at 08:11 PM. Reason: added info
Old 01-18-2016, 07:41 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor

Welcome.

Old 01-18-2016, 07:43 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Originally Posted by renchjeep
I had similar issues on my 2011 MCS hatch. Thought it was the HPFP (again). Took it to the nearest MINI dealer, they had it for over a week, said the HPFP was still good, this time it was the coil packs. They said my Iridium NGK's were fine still, replaced all 4 coil packs under my aftermarket warranty, all good for months now. Still waiting for carbon buildup issues on an N18. Not that it can't, or won't happen, just have not heard much of that issue on the N18 yet. Anyone seeing confirmed carbon buildup issues on the N18?

I run mine pretty (very) hard, and that seems to maybe be a key to keeping carbon buildup at bay. Maybe. I also have a 30 mile drive to work on twisties, with a bit of a highway blast, and another back home 4 days per week. I am running SeaFoam in the fuel tank when I remember to do so.....maybe every 5 fill-ups. I know that does nothing for the valves, but maybe keeps my injectors cleaner-ish? I can only get 91 octane here in SoCal, so doing the best I can.
Posted some threads above about Carbon and the N18's. Linked below for you as well.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...n-buildup.html
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...8-engines.html

Old 01-24-2016, 05:34 AM
bfaune
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
During rough Idle..slowly try lifting up the oil dip stick....when idle stabilize then start checking your throttle body...

Old 01-24-2016, 06:54 AM
minibeer
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by bfaune
During rough Idle..slowly try lifting up the oil dip stick....when idle stabilize then start checking your throttle body...
Are you thinking it may be a PCV issue?

Last edited by minibeer; 01-24-2016 at 01:34 PM.
Old 01-24-2016, 07:17 AM
bfaune
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Are you think it may be a PCV issue?
I had the same Idle issue before, I replace the PCV (because of the leaks), HPFP (engine stalls), Fuel tank Breather valve, vanos, non return valve and at end I finally replace my Throttle Body. That was my observation before, so I was just sharing it. That during the rough idle, I lift the oil dipstick and noticed that the idle stabilized. Hope this also helps.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-problems.html

Old 01-24-2016, 01:35 PM
minibeer
2nd Gear
Interesting. I'll start on those items. Thanks for the feedback.

Old 01-25-2016, 01:58 AM
minibeer
2nd Gear
I tried pulling the dipstick when it was idling rough, no change.

Quick Reply: R56 Weird Idling/Starting Problem