R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Replacing clutch master cylinder

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2015, 03:11 AM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by eliseo1981
Took the car to a new mechanic to install the clutch master cylinder and he told me the problem is not with the master cylinder but with the clutch pedal itself. Turns out it is made of plastic and wiggles left and right and this is why it has what feels like a two stage step when pressing the clutch.

He ordered a new pedal from the dealer at $30 (which in my opinion is super cheap), and will replace it at $130, he said that if I want the master cylinder replaced while he is in there he will just charge about $180 labor, which I think is not bad at all.

If anyone is looking for a mechanic who works on minis (or at least is willing to work on them) for a good price in Houston TX check out
Flannigan's Automotive
14537 Alderson St, Houston, TX

I will post updates on how things come out after he works on my vehicle, so far the guy seems honest and doesn't mind taking his time to find out more about the car. Also it helps he likes mini's and is/was considering getting one.
I already replace both cheap plastic bushing because my clutch pedal was crooked when I would push it in, way to much plastic on these Mini's! Make sure he can get the return spring back on.

Old 08-31-2015, 09:44 AM
eliseo1981
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Systemlord
I already replace both cheap plastic bushing because my clutch pedal was crooked when I would push it in, way to much plastic on these Mini's! Make sure he can get the return spring back on.
He mentioned it was hell getting that return spring back on but he did. Now the clutch works perfectly. I now am going to have to sell the clutch master cylinder as I didn't get it replaced and the mechanic recommended I didn't do it since it was working well.

Total price was $175 labor + $40 clutch arm. So the mechanic was not bad and if anyone needs one in or near houston texas that's where they are located (a few posts up).

Old 08-31-2015, 08:49 PM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by eliseo1981
He mentioned it was hell getting that return spring back on but he did. Now the clutch works perfectly. I now am going to have to sell the clutch master cylinder as I didn't get it replaced and the mechanic recommended I didn't do it since it was working well.

Total price was $175 labor + $40 clutch arm. So the mechanic was not bad and if anyone needs one in or near houston texas that's where they are located (a few posts up).
These Mini's require way to many special tools, I wasn't kidding about that return spring!

Now I can still remember how to do it without much trouble, you install it at a 60 degree angle and work it's way onto the spring holders, easily repeatable.

Old 01-28-2021, 02:19 PM
CFinley
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06 Mini Cooper s manual 127000 miles

06 Mini Cooper S 127,000 manual . Just bought it two weeks ago. Guy said he had put in a new clutch flywheel and throw out bearing. Drove it until last Friday. Seemed to drive and shift fine. Every once in a while when I cranked it you could hear like a metal almost grinding sound. Anyhow on the way home Friday it’s like the clutch went out. Was a burning smell but it will move into gear but it’s like there is no gear there ...you can let out the clutch the rpm won’t drop or anything. Everything seems to work like normal the car just won’t move. I’m new to minis and don’t know. Several things on google said clutch. Some said transmission and others said an air bubble from clutch change. Any ideas?

Old 01-28-2021, 02:45 PM
son-of-mini
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oh boy. I get no pleasure in telling you this. The clutch on my 2014 clubman quit at 96,000 miles. I needed a new clutch and flywheel, etc. The bill was a whopping $4,600.00. Consequently, I will never buy a MINI again. I hope your repair is less involved, and much cheaper.

The following users liked this post:
CFinley (01-28-2021)