R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 I cannot read the dipstick for the life of me

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2014, 04:49 PM
emans
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I cannot read the dipstick for the life of me

Hi all,

I've gone though all the past posts about how to change your oil and stuff. But I cannot for the life of me read how much oil is in the engine. Part of the area between the bump has oil and part is totally dry. I don't even know what this means. I've checked oil in many cars and never has it been this difficult to tell. Are there any tricks or tips for doing this?! Thanks!

Old 02-03-2014, 05:44 PM
bmwr606
6th Gear
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
The following users liked this post:
HausMD (01-10-2024)
Old 02-03-2014, 06:09 PM
Mib4840
Alliance Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Cravenspeed

The following users liked this post:
HausMD (01-10-2024)
Old 02-03-2014, 06:35 PM
ashchuckton
5th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Pull the dipstick wipe it off & reinsert. Lay the dipstick on a shop towel or paper towel. The mark left behind is the oil level. Pretty easy if you use that method.

Old 02-03-2014, 06:52 PM
danjreed
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Old 02-03-2014, 07:08 PM
Ian Landesman
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Trust me, the cravenspeed dipstick makes a BIG difference. I was surprised at how much I was guessing. Now I know down to the 1/4quart how much to top off. I bought mine used, so the price was a bit more palatable, but after the fact I'd pay full price for it.

Old 02-03-2014, 08:15 PM
MiniErik
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cravenspeed

Old 02-03-2014, 08:16 PM
Z06_Pilot
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I got the Cravenspeed unit and I swear I can't read that one! the dipstick is steel/aluminum, and recently changed oil that is still a light amber color just does not show up enough for me to tell what hash mark it is at.

I use the method mentioned on this thread. Pull the OEM dipstick, lay it onto a paper towel, then simply roll it a half turn,comparing the dipstick to the oil stain and I know exactly where it's at.

Whatever works I supposed......

Old 02-03-2014, 09:04 PM
kj6epl
1st Gear
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Yeah it is hard to read-- here's my trick:

1. Wipe it like you normally would.
2. Find a clean spot on the paper towel. Wipe it again, but do more of a sponge- like action instead of wiping. If you did it right, there should be no oil left on the plastic tip.
3. Reinsert into the dipstick tube all the way and pull it back out. The lowest oil line on the tip is your oil level.

!!!!!!!!!! CAUTION !!!!!!!!!!!
The engines in R56's are known to burn a lot of oil. Mine is no exception. Check your oil every time you get gas to avoid running out...

Old 02-04-2014, 01:57 AM
emans
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by kj6epl
Yeah it is hard to read-- here's my trick:

1. Wipe it like you normally would.
2. Find a clean spot on the paper towel. Wipe it again, but do more of a sponge- like action instead of wiping. If you did it right, there should be no oil left on the plastic tip.
3. Reinsert into the dipstick tube all the way and pull it back out. The lowest oil line on the tip is your oil level.

!!!!!!!!!! CAUTION !!!!!!!!!!!
The engines in R56's are known to burn a lot of oil. Mine is no exception. Check your oil every time you get gas to avoid running out...
"the lowest oil line on the tip " is actually very confusing to see where it is. Supposedly , if there oil between the two bulbs then you're fine. But when I pull it out there's a little but of oil there. I'm not sure what that means. Usually if there isoil, it will usually coat the dipstick.

Old 02-04-2014, 06:23 AM
kj6epl
1st Gear
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I would take a picture, but I just topped mine off the other week, so there's nothing to show. I did make these drawings which ~hopefully~ will help you understand what you're seeing. The drawing on the left is the dipstick, and the drawing on the right is what the pattern would look like if it could be "unrolled" from the dip stick.

Name:  oil_half.jpg
Views: 17363
Size:  103.1 KB

****WARNING****

If you instead see a pattern like below, the oil level is below your dipstick, i.e. you are 2 quarts low!

Name:  oil_empty.jpg
Views: 18297
Size:  186.3 KB

Once again, if you see the pattern shown above, your oil level is CRITICAL! Another sign that your oil is critically low is if you hear a weird noise coming from the engine when you go around a sharp corner. If the oil warning symbol appears on your tach display, also know that it means low oil pressure, not low oil (although on these cars it is often caused by low oil), and you are in imminent danger of blowing your engine. If that idiot light comes on and does not go off after a second or two, pull over and call a tow truck.

Anyway, don't mean to scare you there, but oil consumption is an issue on R56's. Hope that clears things up, and if it doesn't, in a few weeks when it's time for me to add oil again, I can take a picture.

The following 3 users liked this post by kj6epl:
frozenwaffles (12-25-2019), Mineeee (01-30-2019), rexman158 (02-25-2019)
Old 02-04-2014, 07:22 AM
rckrzy1
6th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
I still dunno, even had SA show me, and both my cars are always full or slightly over and neither has shown any use of oil. maybe the 2011 2013 N18's
are better at oil consumption.

But I found no one to argue that it is the worst dip stick created by anyone.
I mean my lawn mowers are far easier to read and understand. I'd like to chat with the moron that designed and the bigger moron that approved the design.

Old 02-04-2014, 07:31 AM
DneprDave
6th Gear
Received 85 Likes on 77 Posts
It is also really important that the car is on a level surface, because the dipstick is on the end of the engine. Any slope left or right will give a false reading either low or overfull, depending on which way the car is tilting.

Dave

Old 02-04-2014, 07:37 AM
devicemanager
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by rckrzy1
I still dunno, even had SA show me, and both my cars are always full or slightly over and neither has shown any use of oil. maybe the 2011 2013 N18's
are better at oil consumption.

But I found no one to argue that it is the worst dip stick created by anyone.
I mean my lawn mowers are far easier to read and understand. I'd like to chat with the moron that designed and the bigger moron that approved the design.
Mine doesn't appear to have an issue with oil consumption either.

Old 02-04-2014, 08:32 AM
davidg5700
3rd Gear
I too had fought for a long time with trying to accurately read the OEM dipstick before I gave up and popped for the Cravenspeed. As others have said, it is worth the expense.

Part of the problem on the OEM is that it is scraping oil from the sides of the dipstick tube as it is being pulled out which makes it hard to tell where the oil level actually is. To counter this, I tried pulling the dipstick, covering the tube end and waiting 20 minutes for the oil to drain from the walls of the tube before reinserting the dipstick to take the reading. I didn't find that I was able to get a more accurate reading that way either.

With the Cravenspeed, I don't have the thought in my mind that it may actually be a quart low and doing damage to the engine that I am unaware of. I wonder how much of the MINI reliability issues are related to people having a false idea that there is enough oil in their engines.

Old 02-04-2014, 09:01 AM
rederik
2nd Gear
09 R56S. After I park, pull the stick out. Wipe it clean & wait half an hour for oil in the tube to drain. Put the stick back & pull out & read the level, if oil is still fresh roll the stick on a towel.

I only read it once, if you try it again oil that was dragged through the tube the first time will be all over the stick.

Mine has always been slightly over filled above the top bulb but never lost any oil

Old 02-04-2014, 10:29 AM
Ian Landesman
4th Gear
I would take a picture, but I just topped mine off the other week, so there's nothing to show. I did make these drawings which ~hopefully~ will help you understand what you're seeing. The drawing on the left is the dipstick, and the drawing on the right is what the pattern would look like if it could be "unrolled" from the dip stick. ****WARNING**** If you instead see a pattern like below, the oil level is below your dipstick, i.e. you are 2 quarts low! Once again, if you see the pattern shown above, your oil level is CRITICAL! Another sign that your oil is critically low is if you hear a weird noise coming from the engine when you go around a sharp corner. If the oil warning symbol appears on your tach display, also know that it means low oil pressure, not low oil (although on these cars it is often caused by low oil), and you are in imminent danger of blowing your engine. If that idiot light comes on and does not go off after a second or two, pull over and call a tow truck. Anyway, don't mean to scare you there, but oil consumption is an issue on R56's. Hope that clears things up, and if it doesn't, in a few weeks when it's time for me to add oil again, I can take a picture.
I LOVE your post. You should start a new thread 'how to read dipstick' and the mods should sticky it.

I've had the idiot light come on before my first oil change when I was ignorant of the car's oil consumption. Pulled 2.5 quarts out later that day when I changed the oil and I called carmax to politely ask if they had possibly under filled the car. They told me that turbo's burn oil, I was hesitant to believe, did my research and after knowing better called them back and thanked them.

I've driven over 40K miles since then, but I top off my oil between oil changes now and never let it below half mark on dipstick.

Old 02-04-2014, 10:51 AM
exocet
3rd Gear
The drawing on the left is the dipstick, and the drawing on the right is what the pattern would look like if it could be "unrolled" from the dip stick.

Man... I'm glad you spelled it out in your post. If that diagram was left unlabeled then someone with a dirtier mind than I might get the wrong impression!

Old 02-04-2014, 11:28 AM
nine5raptor
4th Gear
Hahaha!!

Does the Danger! note still apply either way?

Sent from my XT926 using NAMotoring

Old 02-04-2014, 11:38 AM
kyoo
6th Gear
Received 71 Likes on 53 Posts
lol i still can't read my cravenspeed. probably because the oil is still too new.

Old 02-04-2014, 11:50 AM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts
Originally Posted by kyoo
lol i still can't read my cravenspeed. probably because the oil is still too new.
Probably because you need to put a couple quarts of oil in it. I can tell the new F56 not having a dipstick is for a reason after reading this thread.

Old 02-04-2014, 11:54 AM
kyoo
6th Gear
Received 71 Likes on 53 Posts
^ i'm not sure about that. Car's got 1200 miles on it, changed the oil at 500 miles to full. I didn't literally mean I can't read it, I meant it's hard to read lol. When its nice and brown it'll be easy to see on the dipstick itself (I hope).

Old 02-04-2014, 12:27 PM
Ian Landesman
4th Gear
Originally Posted by TheBigNewt
Probably because you need to put a couple quarts of oil in it. I can tell the new F56 not having a dipstick is for a reason after reading this thread.
That's just a BMW thing. My Mom's 335i doesn't have a dipstick and her battery is in the trunk. Weird...

Old 02-04-2014, 12:29 PM
nine5raptor
4th Gear
Several newer cars do not have dipsticks. My buddies Mercedes doesn't have one.

Sent from my XT926 using NAMotoring

Old 02-04-2014, 01:54 PM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by davidg5700
I too had fought for a long time with trying to accurately read the OEM dipstick before I gave up and popped for the Cravenspeed. As others have said, it is worth the expense.

Part of the problem on the OEM is that it is scraping oil from the sides of the dipstick tube as it is being pulled out which makes it hard to tell where the oil level actually is. To counter this, I tried pulling the dipstick, covering the tube end and waiting 20 minutes for the oil to drain from the walls of the tube before reinserting the dipstick to take the reading. I didn't find that I was able to get a more accurate reading that way either.

With the Cravenspeed, I don't have the thought in my mind that it may actually be a quart low and doing damage to the engine that I am unaware of. I wonder how much of the MINI reliability issues are related to people having a false idea that there is enough oil in their engines.
I do strongly believe that most issues with blowing an engine are related to the average Joe or Jane that doesn't know how much oil that these N14 engines can consume!

Originally Posted by kyoo
View it in the shade and look for the shiny area on the dipstick, I find that viewing it under light makes it more difficult to read.

Quick Reply: R56 I cannot read the dipstick for the life of me