R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 I cannot read the dipstick for the life of me

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2017, 10:26 PM
hockeydad2000
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have the Cravenspeed dipstick and it is even hard to read in my opinion. So here is how I check the oil. I drive my R56 up on ramps, and I drain the oil into a measuring bucket. Yes, it's a pain in the ****, but I can tell you that I have checked the dipstick, and it looked like my oil level was proper, only to find out I was almost a quart low after draining the oil and measuring it.

Never in my life have I had a problem checking the oil in a vehicle until I acquired a MINI

Old 11-19-2017, 08:26 AM
elvis cole
2nd Gear
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
The answer to reading the stick is to view it under a BRIGHT light. Either bright sunlight or a flashlight. Even clean, fresh oil is visible under a bright source of light.

Old 11-19-2017, 09:10 AM
minirab
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For the Cravenspeed fold a white napkin, lay it flat and then put the dip stick on it. Can't
be any easier. For the stock one use a bright light as above.

Old 11-20-2017, 11:01 AM
patpatpat
1st Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My method is pull dipstick, wipe clean, let engine cool for 20min, insert dipstick, and take the first reading. Always a clear oil level line.

The following users liked this post:
930 Engineering (11-26-2021)
Old 01-28-2019, 10:07 AM
Justin Gnass
Neutral
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Xenon6

Not being able to read the oil level was one of the first problems I found when I was buying my used 2008 mini S. To fix this problem, I cut a short piece of yellow 1/4"
heat-shrink tubing (polyolefin) to fit between the high and low area in the cylindrical section of the dipstick, then I set it with my heat gun.
Placing the heat-shrink in this area will not increase the diameter of the dipstick where it has to rub on the tube when pulling it out
or reinserting it. With this yellow section, the oil level is VERY easy to read even when fresh.

The following 2 users liked this post by Justin Gnass:
930 Engineering (11-26-2021), Goldsmithy (01-28-2019)
Old 01-29-2019, 11:17 AM
cloverasx
2nd Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I finally splurged and got the Cravenspeed and it is literally a night and day difference.

Old 01-30-2019, 05:36 AM
f_p
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am still having the same issues I had 2 years ago, when I bought the car.
On the one side of the stick, I can see oil ranging from half to full, whereas the opposite side is way lower.
I don't know which is correct and I am putting some oil, just to ensure that both sides are inside the MIN - MAX boundaries.
Crappy system

Old 01-30-2019, 09:14 AM
cloverasx
2nd Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by f_p
I am still having the same issues I had 2 years ago, when I bought the car.
On the one side of the stick, I can see oil ranging from half to full, whereas the opposite side is way lower.
I don't know which is correct and I am putting some oil, just to ensure that both sides are inside the MIN - MAX boundaries.
Crappy system
Are you still using the stock dipstick? I know it's a bit pricey for a dipstick, but the Cravenspeed dipstick is literally a night and day difference and knowing that these turbos cook a little oil, knowing and actually being able to check the level is pretty necessary. The also have a good return policy so if you try it and don't like it, they'll accept a return pretty broadly.

https://www.cravenspeed.com/return-policy/

People also resell these things on the forums a lot too, but you won't have a warranty.

Old 11-04-2021, 12:59 PM
omuroff
1st Gear
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I am reviving the thread, sorry.

I also had a hard time reading the dipstick. It seems like the workshop which changed the oil prior to my ownership (I hope) had issues with it too, therefore, had put in less than needed. The engine is found to be missing 1 liter of oil after 1500kms of usage. Let's see how it goes.

Old 11-15-2023, 03:04 PM
ptkacik
4th Gear
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
I have read the dipstick on dozens of cars and never had the confusing readings of my R56 dipstick. FWIW, mine is the little wire type with the red double bulb end.

I’ll try wiping it down and leaving it out for twenty minutes and see if that gives a better reading.

Peter

Old 12-31-2023, 12:45 PM
ptkacik
4th Gear
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
Still the readings were so flaky that I bought the Cravenspeed dipstick.

End of story. It works great with ZERO question marks on level.

Sad that what looked like such a great design by BMW was SOOO terribly bad. Oh well. I wonder what the dipsticks look like on Minis that are readable?

Peter