R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 I cannot read the dipstick for the life of me

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2014, 01:34 PM
DneprDave
6th Gear
Received 85 Likes on 77 Posts
The Countryman and Paceman All Four cars are assembled in Austria. As there is already a Prince engine plant in France, that BMW helped build, it make sense that they would source their engines from there for the European built cars. The British made cars have engines assembled in Great Britain.

Dave

Old 02-14-2014, 01:47 PM
bmwr606
6th Gear
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by DneprDave
The Countryman and Paceman All Four cars are assembled in Austria. As there is already a Prince engine plant in France, that BMW helped build, it make sense that they would source their engines from there for the European built cars. The British made cars have engines assembled in Great Britain.

Dave
looking at window stickers at my dealer, about 1/2 of r60/r61 have English built engines and 1/2 have french

Old 02-14-2014, 03:27 PM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Received 367 Likes on 311 Posts
To save time going all the way back thru this thread, for the OP who can't read his dipstick, did anyone go ahead and tell him how the story ended?

Old 02-14-2014, 04:18 PM
bjcarter2
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Think with your dip-stick Jimmy!!!

Old 02-14-2014, 04:21 PM
AZdsrt
6th Gear
Received 57 Likes on 53 Posts
Originally Posted by Fly'n Brick
To save time going all the way back thru this thread, for the OP who can't read his dipstick, did anyone go ahead and tell him how the story ended?
Oh, the OP got plenty of advice. You really need to read the entire thread, there are a few good chuckles in there.

Old 02-14-2014, 08:27 PM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Received 367 Likes on 311 Posts
Originally Posted by AZdsrt
Oh, the OP got plenty of advice. You really need to read the entire thread, there are a few good chuckles in there.
It was entertaining. Personally, I've never had a problem discerning the difference between oil and not oil.

Old 02-16-2014, 04:09 AM
afarias
Neutral
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My dipstick is different

I have an 07 MCS and similarity having problems reading the dips stick but mine looks nothing line the red ended one you guys have - the end is a point and it has two knuckles along what looks like a coiled spring and all metallic. I'll post a photo once i dig my mini out of last nights snow storm. Anyone else have similar dipstick?

Old 02-16-2014, 06:44 AM
vetsvette
Received 450 Likes on 343 Posts
Same as mine. I still went with the Craven.

Old 02-16-2014, 07:30 AM
byron h
3rd Gear
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
A common problem with reading any of the stock dipsticks, modified dipsticks, or the Craven dipstick is when the oil is overfilled. I made the following thread on the best method I have found to read the oil level when it is overfilled.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ecommends.html

Morris, 2011 MC, PW/B

Old 02-16-2014, 07:41 AM
cactusjk
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cravenspeed!

QUOTE=Mib4840;3876055]Cravenspeed[/QUOTE]

Old 02-16-2014, 01:26 PM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by afarias
I have an 07 MCS and similarity having problems reading the dips stick but mine looks nothing line the red ended one you guys have - the end is a point and it has two knuckles along what looks like a coiled spring and all metallic. I'll post a photo once i dig my mini out of last nights snow storm. Anyone else have similar dipstick?
Mine was the metal coil type. Mini has since changed their dipstick in the N18 engines, still a far cry from the Craven dipstick.

Old 02-23-2014, 12:12 PM
kj6epl
1st Gear
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Hey guys, as promised earlier I made a video. Hopefully it helps.

Old 02-23-2014, 03:02 PM
byron h
3rd Gear
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by kj6epl
Hey guys, as promised earlier I made a video. Hopefully it helps. http://youtu.be/U0un1PPJ_qU

Thanks for taking the time to illustrate your method. I have two concerns. The first is you cannot tell where the actual level is or if it is overfilled. The second is your recommendation of adding a quart of oil if you think the level is somewhere between the high and low level marks. Overfilling is not recommended by MINI even though dealers regularly do it. I think the overfilling makes the carbon buildup of the S models worse.

Morris, 2011 MC, PW/B

Old 02-23-2014, 03:33 PM
kj6epl
1st Gear
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by byron h
Thanks for taking the time to illustrate your method. I have two concerns. The first is you cannot tell where the actual level is or if it is overfilled. The second is your recommendation of adding a quart of oil if you think the level is somewhere between the high and low level marks. Overfilling is not recommended by MINI even though dealers regularly do it. I think the overfilling makes the carbon buildup of the S models worse.

Morris, 2011 MC, PW/B
You are right that my method does slightly overfill the oil. However, I have been doing this for about 20,000 miles now with no bad consequences. It seems to me that max to min on the dipstick is about 1.5 quarts, so adding a quart when the dipstick shows half (as I stated in the video) is really overfilling by maybe 1/4 of a quart. Underfilling the oil, however, will cause bad things. Allowing the oil to dip below the minimum line can result in the following:

1. Low oil can cause the timing chain to overheat, causing it to wear out prematurely.
2. Low oil can cause the brake booster vacuum pump at the end of the exhaust cam shaft to seize, causing the bolt holding the timing chain gear to the exhaust cam to break. Since this engine uses a valve interference design, if this happens you'll be replacing or rebuilding the engine.
3. (edit) Low oil, even if still barely in the "ok" section of the dipstick, will cause what oil is left to wear out faster, causing increased sludge buildup in the engine.

This is why I'm a bit "generous" when it comes to oil...

Last edited by kj6epl; 02-23-2014 at 04:31 PM.
Old 02-23-2014, 04:46 PM
AZdsrt
6th Gear
Thx for the video. Once I have a few thousand miles on the oil, I could see the level on the original stick. My problem was when the oil was new. I just couldn't see it on the stick. The cravenspeed stick has notches on it, very easy to see the oil level even when the oil was new.

Old 03-06-2014, 05:55 PM
rckrzy1
6th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Well got my craven speed. I did not realize the
Spring was stretchable so easy , thought it
Would be more sturdy. It did confirm that dealer
Was overfilling oil and I was reading stock
Stick right, I guess 1/8 qt over. And since its
Been 1k miles that my Breakin was good ,
No oil used.

Over its far better at reading oil.

Old 03-06-2014, 07:22 PM
cactusjk
4th Gear
I thought the same thing but it is amazing how easy it you can put it back in.

Originally Posted by rckrzy1
Well got my craven speed. I did not realize the
Spring was stretchable so easy , thought it
Would be more sturdy. It did confirm that dealer
Was overfilling oil and I was reading stock
Stick right, I guess 1/8 qt over. And since its
Been 1k miles that my Breakin was good ,
No oil used.

Over its far better at reading oil.

Old 03-06-2014, 08:46 PM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts
Once you feed the Craven DP into the tube it goes in easily, it just needs to find the tube hole and then you're in. Gravity does the rest.

Old 03-12-2014, 06:30 PM
1yesfan
3rd Gear
I got my CRAVEN in today for my 09 Club S and I sware the Craven when held next to the stock stick looks a tiny bit shorter???????

Old 09-25-2017, 09:45 AM
dez
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sorry to revive an old thread but with the Cravenspeed dip stick... when testing when I pull it out the first time all the holes are full of oil. I wipe it put it back in and pull again, no oil in the holes but the thicker nub above the shaft with holes has oil on it?

I'm assuming that is a sign of low oil and the oil on the nub is just from the dragging through the dip stick shaft itself?

Old 09-25-2017, 10:44 AM
AnOldBiker
4th Gear - An Official NAM Greeter
Received 145 Likes on 138 Posts
For al that have a dip stick, I envy you. This is the first car I've own that doesn't have a dip stick, and I really hate checking it with the computer. I don't trust it.

For those that have a hard time seeing the oil on the stick, using the paper towel method works and is cheap. Been using it as an alternative for 52 years and never had a question as to the liquid level.

Old 09-25-2017, 11:18 AM
dez
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by AnOldBiker
For al that have a dip stick, I envy you. This is the first car I've own that doesn't have a dip stick, and I really hate checking it with the computer. I don't trust it.

For those that have a hard time seeing the oil on the stick, using the paper towel method works and is cheap. Been using it as an alternative for 52 years and never had a question as to the liquid level.
Thanks for the response AnOldBiker.

I was asking for specifics from other users with the Cravenspeed dipstick.

Old 09-25-2017, 11:31 AM
renchjeep
6th Gear
Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by dez
Sorry to revive an old thread but with the Cravenspeed dip stick... when testing when I pull it out the first time all the holes are full of oil. I wipe it put it back in and pull again, no oil in the holes but the thicker nub above the shaft with holes has oil on it?

I'm assuming that is a sign of low oil and the oil on the nub is just from the dragging through the dip stick shaft itself?
That sounds about right, dez. I would add 1/2 quart and check it again, if it were me. Wait a few minutes after adding before checking again. A good way to get an accurate reading? Open the hood and pull the dipstick. Leave it out and the hood open for an hour or so, or overnight, whatever, then check the first reading you get. Inserting and pulling the dipstick again may give you a false reading, due to some oil being pulled up the tube by the dipstick.

The following 2 users liked this post by renchjeep:
bugeye1031 (11-19-2017), dez (09-25-2017)
Old 09-26-2017, 01:03 PM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts
Some people have trouble checking the pressure in their tires too.

Old 09-26-2017, 05:45 PM
AZdsrt
6th Gear
Originally Posted by renchjeep
That sounds about right, dez. I would add 1/2 quart and check it again, if it were me. Wait a few minutes after adding before checking again. A good way to get an accurate reading? Open the hood and pull the dipstick. Leave it out and the hood open for an hour or so, or overnight, whatever, then check the first reading you get. Inserting and pulling the dipstick again may give you a false reading, due to some oil being pulled up the tube by the dipstick.
Listen to the jeep. Sounds like you're probably low. When I pull my cravenspeed DS, there is oil in all the grooves (ie holes). Like he recommends, pull it and wait a while..

Quick Reply: R56 I cannot read the dipstick for the life of me