R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 2007 mini stuttering at idle. Need help

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2012, 06:58 PM
sk24iam
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 mini stuttering at idle. Need help

Hello,

My girlfriend has a 2007 mini cooper hatchback in automatic with about 74,000 miles. This weekend I drove her car from Washington DC to Chicago (about 700 miles).

The drive went well until we got to Chicago and we hit traffic. While sitting in traffic, the car would stutter in idle to the point where it would seem like it is about to stall. It became jerky, and upon hitting the gas it hesitated before accelerating. This went on for about half an hour in traffic until we arrived to our destination. The yellow outline of the engine light flashed for a second but didn't stay on.

The next day, the car started fine but after about twenty minutes of driving, the same thing happened. This time the car stalled when rolling to a stop in traffic.

Before the road trip, the spark plugs and oil were changed. Because the car is no longer under warranty, I'm trying to figure out what the issue is. Since the issue only occurs in traffic, I'm worried that if I bring it into the dealer they won't see the problem.

Has anyone had this issue or know what I should be looking into?

Thanks,
Stephen

Update 8/21: The car has been sitting for just over a week. Checked the oil today and it looks like there is none. When the car is turned on the red oil light is on. This is surprising because oil change was done just before the trip.

A little bit of back story... A few months ago oil frequently need to be added, about once every two weeks or so. Thought this was strange and brought ther car in, this was due to a spark plug that needed to be changed. If this is the same situation again I'm wondering what could be causing the plugs to go bad.

So I'm debating between either taking the car into a shop that specializes in Mini's or the dealer. I'm most concerned with getting the right diagnosis and getting the problem fixed rather than having to deal with it again a a few months. Any thoughts?

Last edited by sk24iam; 08-21-2012 at 07:05 AM.
Old 08-13-2012, 07:04 PM
old81
M6
Recent fill of gas along the way, possible water in gas. Has the High Pressure Fuel pump been replaced on this 07.

That could be a suspect item, the HPFP is a warranty item to 100K on the early R56 MINIs, might be fading or on the way out.

Good luck, hard to diagnose issues like this, I would suspect bad gas first.

Don

Old 08-13-2012, 07:06 PM
NJ Mini
6th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Sounds like the timing chain rattle many have here. There is a TSB for it and I think the dealer may fix it for her free of charge. I was told it was part of a recall when I took mine in last March.

Old 08-13-2012, 07:12 PM
sk24iam
Neutral
I filled the gas twice along the trip, from two different gas stations, and the issue occurred after both times.

Old 08-13-2012, 07:19 PM
jcauseyfd
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had similar issues. MINI ended up replacing the whole timing chain "cartridge", walnut shell blasting, replaced the throttle body, and finally a new valve cover. That work was done over the course of a month, three different trips, and a lot of money.

Old 08-13-2012, 07:29 PM
Porthos
OVERDRIVE
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Carbon build up it is always carbon build up.

Old 08-21-2012, 07:05 AM
sk24iam
Neutral
Update: The car has been sitting for just over a week. Checked the oil today and it looks like there is none. When the car is turned on the red oil light is on. This is surprising because oil change was done just before the trip.

A little bit of back story... A few months ago oil frequently need to be added, about once every two weeks or so. Thought this was strange and brought ther car in, this was due to a spark plug that needed to be changed. If this is the same situation again I'm wondering what could be causing the plugs to go bad.

So I'm debating between either taking the car into a shop that specializes in Mini's or to the dealer. I'm most concerned with getting the right diagnosis and getting the problem fixed rather than having to deal with it again a a few months. Any thoughts?

Old 08-24-2012, 01:49 PM
Z3Safaripilot
Neutral
Maybe...

Let me start by saying I am no expert. Have owned two Minis, the second being a 2007 S. I have been having the exact same symptoms as you, and on the third month of ownership, today, I took mine to AutoMasters in Florida. They diagnosed the check engine light as "excessive air into intake past the air flow meter", and leakage of the valve cover assembly. I have spent most of today researching this valve cover leak problem, and haven't found much. Replacement of my valve cover assembly is gonna bite me for $600 bucks. Also, they said the K&N filter was over oiled at some point, and has fouled the mass airflow sensor. I tore into the breather and MAS pipe today and they were both very clean. The oil loss happened to me as well, and I wonder if it could be this strange problem.

Old 09-07-2012, 10:07 AM
sk24iam
Neutral
Brought the mini into the shop and here is what they found that may be causing the issues...

-There were 7 check engine codes. However, there may not be seven problems.
-replace crank case vent valve cover because of possible carbon build up
-replace camshaft sensor. Misfiring is causing oil level to drop.
-new spark plugs and oil change.

He suggested this is the best place to start with the problem. He's not entirely sure this will fix the problem but he mentioned something is definitely very wrong with the engine. Worst possible scenario is that it is a bad motor.

Anyone have these parts changed based on similar symptoms.