R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Most Common Issues with the 2nd Generation MCS.

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2012, 12:16 PM
-sean-
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Most Common Issues with the 2nd Generation MCS.

What are the most common issues with the 07-current MCS?
I have found threads for the 1st gen cars that show the issues with them and also the breakdown by year as the issues were resolved by the factory.
Any such threads/links for the 2nd gen MCS?

Old 02-26-2012, 01:07 PM
sLy201
5th Gear
serious brotha ??? theres a whooooooooooooooooooole sub-forum ... heres the link

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ms-issues-188/

Old 02-26-2012, 01:18 PM
bluefox280
6th Gear
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by -sean-
Owner negligence, seriously.
Most of the timing chain, timing tensioner, vacuum pump, turbocharge failure and oil sludging are due to poor change frequency and low oil conditions.
And there is a situation with the carbon build-up due to a direct injection (DI) engine, but that's again due to "grandma-styling" driving techniques.
Yes, there is the water pump recall, but overall the platform is overall solid.

- Erik

Old 02-26-2012, 03:17 PM
-sean-
1st Gear
Originally Posted by sLy201
serious brotha ??? theres a whooooooooooooooooooole sub-forum ... heres the link

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ms-issues-188/
Looked through the sub which covers just about every issue the R56 has ever seen including the muffler bearings. I am looking for a simple list of things to look for as a new buyer. Probably should have been more clear in my OP.

Originally Posted by bluefox280
Most of the timing chain, timing tensioner, vacuum pump, turbocharge failure and oil sludging are due to poor change frequency and low oil conditions.
And there is a situation with the carbon build-up due to a direct injection (DI) engine, but that's again due to "grandma-styling" driving techniques.

- Erik
Erik, received your PM and that was exactly what I was looking for. I have a long history with building custom off road rigs both desert race and rock crawling but have just began shopping for a Mini and needed some insight as too major things to look for.

So far from what I have read, all R56's seem to be fairly equal from year to year. In other words, being more concerned about mileage and maintenance, rather than year, would be the rule. Does this sound about right?

Old 02-26-2012, 03:55 PM
KevinC
5th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
No, that's not the reason, it's the fact that fuel delivery in DI engines bypasses the top of the intake valves. Virtually every other mf'r of DI engines is having similar problems, including VW & Porsche.

Let's not forget the troublesome clutch, it's a definite sore spot. Also the primary water pump (not the aux one just recalled) seems to have a lot of failures a few years in, based on threads posted here.

Old 02-26-2012, 03:57 PM
sLy201
5th Gear
if your mechanically inclined like you seem to be ... id pick up a service manual ... has helped me out with so much and using NAM as a crutch !!! instead of focusing on the negative things about the MINI, any pictures of your new one ??!?!!? and welcome

Last edited by sLy201; 02-26-2012 at 06:10 PM.
Old 02-26-2012, 05:25 PM
bluefox280
6th Gear
Erik, received your PM and that was exactly what I was looking for.
Good; let me know if you're needing a local hand.

So far from what I have read, all R56's seem to be fairly equal from year to year. In other words, being more concerned about mileage and maintenance, rather than year, would be the rule. Does this sound about right?
I would concur. Go with that as a ground rule and you should be good to go.

Originally Posted by KevinC
No, that's not the reason, it's the fact that fuel delivery in DI engines bypasses the top of the intake valves. Virtually every other mf'r of DI engines is having similar problems, including VW & Porsche.
It's not the main reason; yes I will agree. Thanks for the follow-up KevinC.

- Erik

Old 02-26-2012, 05:40 PM
-sean-
1st Gear
Originally Posted by sLy201
if your mechanically inclined like you seem to be ... id pick up a service manual ... has helped me out with so much and using NAM as a crutch !!! instead of focusing on the negative things about the MINI, any pictures of your new one ??!?!!? and welcome
LOL, started searching ebay for a FSM already.

Haven't purchased yet, just began searching last week.
This whole thing started when the wife decided she wanted to look at a Countryman. Well, after driving one (me riding shotgun) she decided it was the car for her. The impression I got just being in the passenger seat was enough to make me want to drive a MCS hardtop so I did. SOLD! I have to have one. And being a long time WRC fan, this will probably be about as close as I ever get to a real fun road car that I can play with and pretend to be Sebastien Loab.

So, the search continues...

NAM has turned out to be an incredible source for information! It's funny, ever since the late 90's I have been on forums like Pirate4x4, JeepForum and RaceDesert answering questions for newbs, kinda nice being the newb for a change!

Old 02-26-2012, 05:43 PM
onefish2
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not enough warm sunny days for me to take my car out and drive the hell out of it.

Old 02-26-2012, 06:12 PM
sLy201
5th Gear
Minis are fun cars to drive but desert and rock crawlers sound pretty damn cool if i must say so lol ...

I got mine on Amazon "used" but nothing wrong with it, plus for my gen it just came out. paid $90.

Old 02-27-2012, 02:07 PM
mini4tide
3rd Gear
List: from a fellow 2007 S owner.

-High Pressure fuel pump
-water pump
-thermostat housing warpage/leakage
-carbon buildup (not really just a Mini issue its an ethanol thing)
-ipod/iphone jack loosening up and cutting out
-intake tubing slipping off turbo outlet

Old 03-01-2012, 05:03 AM
bergie07
1st Gear
The clutch going out, at all, much less at sub 50k, kind of pissed me off. I'm in the shop now for the high pressure fuel pump and the safety recall. On the way up here this morning I discovered the high beams were not engaging.

I still love my car.

Old 03-21-2012, 07:47 PM
fullymooned
3rd Gear

- Erik
how would you recommend this be taken care of in a preventative manner

Old 03-21-2012, 07:52 PM
bluefox280
6th Gear
Originally Posted by fullymooned
how would you recommend this be taken care of in a preventative manner
Check, and change the engine oil more frequently than MINI's recommended service intervals.
Many say 7K miles is a good number, I prefer around 4K miles due to consumption / heat cycles.
Also, make sure the synthetic oil you run is LL-01 approved (for US Spec).

As for the carbon build up, running a catch can in conjunction with a water / methanol kit does wonders.

- Erik

Old 03-21-2012, 08:14 PM
fullymooned
3rd Gear
Check, and change the engine oil more frequently than MINI's recommended service intervals.
Many say 7K miles is a good number, I prefer around 4K miles due to consumption / heat cycles.
Also, make sure the synthetic oil you run is LL-01 approved (for US Spec).

As for the carbon build up, running a catch can in conjunction with a water / methanol kit does wonders.

- Erik
Thank you. I have started doing oil changes more frequently. Is there a way for me to find out if my mini has carbon build up?

Old 03-22-2012, 07:04 AM
bluefox280
6th Gear
Originally Posted by fullymooned
Is there a way for me to find out if my mini has carbon build up?
Pull the intake manifold and inspect.

- Erik

Old 03-22-2012, 11:55 AM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
I have found threads for the 1st gen cars that show the issues with them and also the breakdown by year as the issues were resolved by the factory.
Any such threads/links for the 2nd gen MCS?
There's a group which have problem free R56's and they get bent out of shape when anyone tries to warn other's of the problematic nature of the 56, but the R56 platform is not at all what I'd call a "solid platform."

I've had 3 MINI's and maticulously maintaned all of them, oil change every 5k, proper break in, only use the best gas, blah blah blah. My R56, while wonderful to drive....always had something wrong with it. Sure my mods could have played a role, but if anything, they just accentuated already underlying problems. Few of the common ones have already been mentioned in this thread but here what comes to mind:

-Timing chain/timing chain tensioner

-HPFP failures (mine had 1 failure)

-DM Flywheel/Clutch problems (had the clutch/flywheel replaced TWICE in 50k miles. Not from poor driving or abuse...flywheel and/or throwout bearing issues both times)

-Carbon Buildup (They ALL have it, regardless of how the car is driven. Seafoaming regularly, helps a little, but the manifold must be pulled, and the valves must be scrubbed/blasted. Buildup is always worst on cyl #3 & #4)

-Piston failures (mine blew at 52k...sure my high boost didn't help, but stock cars have seen the same exact failures. Most are pistons #3 or #4, which coincidentally are the worst when it comes to carbon issues)

-Vaccuum pump failures

-VANOS failures

-Waterpump and theromstat housing issues (leakages)

-Turbo inlet tubes cracking

-Oil line blockages in the turbo (this is about the only one which I would agree is purely due to poor maintenance and can be prevented by changing oil frequently)

-High oil consumption

And yea, all years have issues...mine was an 08. Had a friend with an 09 that got bought back from MINI due to the shear number of constant issues. And working at a MINI dealer....I can tell you all years have problems. If you must buy an R56, look for one with low mileage and a complete service and maintenance history, like it was said above. The '11 & '12's are a little better from what I'm seeing and hearing, but I haven't really been paying attention to the R56 side of things now that I'm back in an R53 (ahhh sign of relief).

But hey, you might get lucky and get a good one

Old 03-22-2012, 12:00 PM
jcauseyfd
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Odds are you'll get a good one.

Old 06-05-2012, 04:09 PM
Performance Angst
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yup, I concur with the water pump failure. Mine's in the dealer this week for a replacement. Glad it's still under warranty at this point.