R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Arrgh! Accident in my '11 Cooper last night :(

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2012, 11:59 AM
mini-mine
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Arrgh! Accident in my '11 Cooper last night :(

I was on my way to the movies last night and got in an accident in my 6-month old Cooper . Luckily it wasn't really bad and I'm ok. It was pretty much head-on so the front is messed up a bit and the radiator was hissing. I got it towed to the dealer and so just waiting until tomorrow for everything. I haven't been in an accident in 12 years, so it really sucked.

Basically what happened is I was driving north on a two-lane street and in the distance an SUV pulled out of a side street to turn left and then just briefly stopped half-way out (presumably because there was traffic in the other direction), so I started to slow down. Then he continued and the car I hit was right there (blocked from view because of the SUV). He was obviously doing something similar the SUV was, but trying to cross the street to the other side (diagonally) and didn't see me either due to the SUV, so we hit kind of head-on to the side.

Anyway, looking back, I really wish I'd called the police as the other guy would have definitely gotten a ticket as it was totally his fault. Now I'm just hoping that mistake doesn't screw me over. Although, based on where the damage is on both cars, I hope it will be obvious how we were driving.

Old 02-12-2012, 12:14 PM
Eddyboi77
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A police report would be handy, especially when you put a claim into the other guys insurance company. They'll want proof that their driver was at fault.

Old 02-12-2012, 12:18 PM
cricketine
3rd Gear
I have a CDL and drive a school bus. The silly seeming training I have learned in the past few years have saved me from many accidents like this one. It may bug the hell out of other drivers behind me, but I always give that moment of pause to make sure the path is clear. Helps tremendously when I'm first in line at a light....light turned green so I hesitated a moment only to see the guy next to me jack rabbit it out into the intersection and get smashed by the idiot who ran the red going the other way.

So sorry to hear about your damage, that really sucks being so new!! Hope fully you got some witnesses and info get the guy who hit you.

Old 02-12-2012, 12:22 PM
amancuso
5th Gear
Sad! Pics of damage?

Old 02-12-2012, 12:55 PM
mini-mine
5th Gear

And here's the '01 Lexus that hit me (the headlights actually popped out, but he'd pushed them back in by the time I took these pictures)

Old 02-12-2012, 01:08 PM
NJ Mini
6th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Police report would have been helpful. Most states are no-fault, but that doesn't mean the insurance company doesn't assign fault. They look into who they can subrogate back to in order to collect money from the at-fault party's insurance. It may also help your insurance in the future as it may have less of a chance of being held against you.

Either way, it doesn't look too terrible and the main thing is that you're ok and that's the best outcome.

Old 02-12-2012, 01:22 PM
ngweibing
6th Gear
oh no.. poor mini... keep us posted

Old 02-12-2012, 01:28 PM
d@g
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by NJ Mini
Police report would have been helpful. Most states are no-fault, but that doesn't mean the insurance company doesn't assign fault. They look into who they can subrogate back to in order to collect money from the at-fault party's insurance. It may also help your insurance in the future as it may have less of a chance of being held against you.

Either way, it doesn't look too terrible and the main thing is that you're ok and that's the best outcome.
Yeah, my wife was in a bonehead accident last year with her 2 month-old Outback. She was turning right off a two-lane road, blinker on, and the guy behind her tried to pass her ON THE RIGHT . He told the cop who came to write up the report that he saw the blinker but didn't think she was turning, so he passed her in the shoulder as she turned right.

Anyhow, NJ is a no-fault state, but the guy was SO at fault. We got our deductible back. Without that report we'd be out the 1K deductible.

Old 02-12-2012, 01:41 PM
Btwyx
6th Gear
Ouch.

Originally Posted by mini-mine
it was totally his fault.
It might be the other guy's fault, but it was avoidable. On general principles, you should always be able to stop in the road you can see is clear.

Old 02-12-2012, 01:58 PM
MisterClean
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Btwyx
Ouch.

It might be the other guy's fault, but it was avoidable. On general principles, you should always be able to stop in the road you can see is clear.
Not trying to be rude but isn't ANY accident avoidable? Hence the word "accident".

Hope everything goes well with your MINI. Keep us posted on your progress.

Old 02-12-2012, 02:35 PM
cricketine
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by MisterClean
Not trying to be rude but isn't ANY accident avoidable? Hence the word "accident".

Hope everything goes well with your MINI. Keep us posted on your progress.
"crash" and yeah, most are avoidable. I am required to take four defensive driving classes per year for work. I have avoided all crashes with other autos and pedestrians. Sorry Mr. Deer.... so so sorry :(

An accident is what you do in your pants after a crash :giggle:

Old 02-12-2012, 03:15 PM
mini-mine
5th Gear
Yeah, I agree that a lot of these accidents are avoidable, but in this case it would have been really difficult. I would have never known there was another car trying to cross the road right behind the SUV since there isn't a street on that side, just complexes. I mean, I slowed down since the SUV was blocking my lane for a brief moment, but once he passed the other car was right there. I guess I could have turned sharply right into the street he was headed to, but I would have still probably got hit on the driver's side of the car and who knows what was in the street. Other than completely stopping for the SUV (which was unnecessary as my lane was clear by the time I got there) I don't believe anyone could have avoided it as he was headed for me diagonally across the road - hence why we hit pretty much head-on.

Old 02-12-2012, 03:26 PM
automan21
5th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Yeah the Lex was doing an assface move, trying to squeeze behind the SUV. We get those here and when you honk and make gestures they look at you like you are the one in the wrong. Sorry to hear about the mishap.

Old 02-16-2012, 03:33 PM
mini-mine
5th Gear
Got the repair estimate: $4,819.52!
Major elements to be replaced are: Front bumper, Grille, Bonnet (Hood), Radiator and AC Condenser. The rest is all adjustments, etc. It's five pages, lol!
At least I was determined not at fault, so hopefully I get my $500 deductible back and they won't raise my rates as I haven't had an accident in 12 years. Delivery estimate is 28 February, 2012.

Old 02-16-2012, 04:57 PM
cccplus
4th Gear
make sure they are authorize mini/bmw repair center. dealer may void certain repair under warranty if not repaired at their approved repair facility. i've been through this...

Old 02-17-2012, 05:17 AM
condor27596
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Good luck getting it fixed.
Sometimes the accident is just not avoidable (by you).
I had a guy dart out trying to go across 4 lanes one time. (this is in my MG
so it was literally 25 years ago). He wan't there and then he was just RIGHT THERE
if you get my meaning. I was going below the speed limit and it was in heavy traffic.
I don't know what he was thinking at all.

I have taken 4 driver safety classes myself, through work.

But what really keeps me on my toes is watching horrific crashes and
pedestrians run over on the internet. There's some real Final Destination
moments out there I can tell you. I'm trying hard to avoid becoming a statistic

Old 02-17-2012, 08:32 AM
mini-mine
5th Gear
Originally Posted by cccplus
make sure they are authorize mini/bmw repair center. dealer may void certain repair under warranty if not repaired at their approved repair facility. i've been through this...
Yeah, I got it towed to the closest dealer after the accident, so it's being repaired at their body shop. I wanted to make sure it was fixed at the dealer since it's a leased car. I figured that way I have proof i got the repairs done at the dealer when I turn in the car in 2014.

Old 02-24-2012, 04:37 PM
mini-mine
5th Gear
Woohoo! Both insurance companies found I was not at fault and since the scheduled pick-up is next Tuesday, hopefully the deductible waiver will go through so I don't have to pay then get refunded. I can't wait to get my car back next week!

Old 02-24-2012, 05:06 PM
luis
2nd Gear
Got the repair estimate: $4,819.52!
Major elements to be replaced are: Front bumper, Grille, Bonnet (Hood), Radiator and AC Condenser. The rest is all adjustments, etc. It's five pages, lol!
At least I was determined not at fault, so hopefully I get my $500 deductible back and they won't raise my rates as I haven't had an accident in 12 years. Delivery estimate is 28 February, 2012.
Man when i saw the cost to fix your car, my jaw dropped. I'm waiting on a estimate on my 08 MCS, that was hit on the front drier side by an elderly lady.Mine has a bent lower A arm, bent end link, will need a new bumper, new fender, new wheel, new wheel well liner, as well as a hood. I'll be waiting for the estimate with my fingers crossed. BTW here in Florida, you'll get a ticket for leaving the accident scene.

Old 02-24-2012, 05:31 PM
amancuso
5th Gear

Woohoo! Both insurance companies found I was not at fault and since the scheduled pick-up is next Tuesday, hopefully the deductible waiver will go through so I don't have to pay then get refunded. I can't wait to get my car back next week!

Old 02-25-2012, 12:18 PM
Tank251
4th Gear
Sorry about your accident. Glad it all worked out.