R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Don't buy flowmaster

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2011, 01:37 PM
Gandalf_The_Grey
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Don't buy flowmaster

Hi guys just recently pieced together a custom exhaust system on my '11 MCS, used 2.5" machine bent piping with flowmaster super 10 series http://www.flowmastermufflers.com/index.php?page=114

The muffler shop was raving about how great this muffler is, and how it will not be too loud on a turbo car. At idle and rev the muffler sounds great, you can hear the turbo spool while revving the engine at idle, the pop and burble sounds like a Subaru WRX STi with a rally misfire system. The main problem is when your at cruising speed on the freeway. I took about an hour ride to LA and I nearly screamed from the unrelenting drone. My head was pounding. The next business day I went back to the muffler shop and told him about the problem. He was like "sorry man once it's welded on I can't do anything." I was originally wanting a Magnaflow universal which he claimed would be not good. I should of, could of, would of, gone with my gut .

I placed a Magnaflow resonator which decreased the sound about 30-40% yet the drone remains at cruising speeds, just much much more tolerable.

Power gains are apparent high rpm's around 4-6.5k, where stock system fell on it's face.

Plan: buy either a vibrant muffler or magnaflow muffler

Moral of the story; learn from my mistake.

Thanks for reading my venting

Last edited by Gandalf_The_Grey; 08-25-2011 at 02:11 PM. Reason: typo
Old 08-17-2011, 02:38 PM
6speedwtneed
4th Gear
Yeah drone is never good. Thanks for the tip

Old 08-17-2011, 03:54 PM
AXO
5th Gear
Magnaflow also has drone....

Old 08-18-2011, 05:15 AM
desiletspo
1st Gear
Thanks, I looking for a new cat-back, I know what I won't buy !!

Old 08-18-2011, 06:38 AM
ScottRiqui
OVERDRIVE
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Gandalf_The_Grey
I was originally wanting a Magnaflow universal which he claimed would be not good. I should of, could of, would of, gone with my gut .

I wouldn't automatically assume that the Magnaflow (or the Vibrant) wouldn't have given you the same drone. There's a lot that goes into determining whether you'll have resonance (droning) at a particular RPM or road speed, and the muffler you choose is only part of the equation.

Old 08-18-2011, 07:46 AM
AXO
5th Gear
I removed my second cat and resonator which I am sure contributed to highway drone. At first the drone was bothersome, but I have learned how to avoid by keeping my rpms below 3k on the highway. As far as city driving, it is awesome. I would definitely do the Maganaflow custom exhaust again.

Old 08-18-2011, 08:04 AM
36rodder
3rd Gear
Hi guys just recently pieced together a custom exhaust system on my '11 MCS, used 2.5" machine bent piping with flowmaster super 10 series http://www.flowmastermufflers.com/index.php?page=114

The muffler shop was raving about how great this muffler is, and how it will not be too loud on a turbo car. At idle and rev the muffler sounds great, you can hear the turbo spool while revving the engine at idle, the pop and burble sounds like a Subaru WRX STi with a rally misfire system. The main problem is when your at cruising speed on the freeway. I took about an hour ride to LA and I nearly screamed from the unrelenting drone. My head was pounding. The next business day I went back to the muffler shop and told him about the problem. He was like "sorry man once it's welded on I can't do anything." I was originally wanting a Magnaflow universal which he claimed would be not good. I should of, could of, would of, gone with my gut .

I placed a Magnaflow resonator which decreased the sound about 30-40% yet the drone remains at cruising speeds, just much much more tolerable.

Power gains are apparent high rpm's around 4-6.5k, where stock system feel on it's face.

I was surprised at your problem since I use Flowmaster Delta Flow mufflers on my '36 Chevy street rod. I don't have drone at highway speed, but they are very aggressive sounding when you get on it. I looked up Super 10 Series to see what you bought since I wasn't familiar with it. Here's the product description:
Single Chamber mufflers. Intended for customers who desire the loudest and most aggressive sound they can find. Because these mufflers are so aggressive, they are recommended only for off highway use and not for street driven vehicles.
After reading that description I'm not surprised that you have a drone. You probably can't hear your stereo either. For the street you really need 2 or 3 chamber muffler or you will go deaf.

Old 08-18-2011, 07:01 PM
Douglas H
2nd Gear
I have a 2009 S and am running a custom 2.5" Vibrant pipes, Vibrant muffler and a 18" Vibrant resonator that eliminated the second cat. It has a deep tone and no drone in all rpm ranges

I had previously installed an Edelbrock SDT muffler and the drone from 3k to 4k was unbearable with both factory pipes and 2.5" pipes.

Muffler

http://vibrantperformance.com/catalo...oducts_id=1153

Resonator

http://vibrantperformance.com/catalo...products_id=46

This is a great downpipe back system that has great civility and tone.

Hope this gives you some ideas.

Old 08-19-2011, 10:58 AM
Gandalf_The_Grey
Neutral
I appreciate all of the feedback, Douglas H setup looks really good

Old 08-19-2011, 05:38 PM
hipo_p51
1st Gear
that is why they are called 'drone-masters'.

Old 08-19-2011, 05:46 PM
SNEEEZY - Erika
Rattle Can Queen!!!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Power gains are apparent high rpm's around 4-6.5k, where stock system feel on it's face.

Will that Flowmaster even pass CA emissions inspection?

Old 08-19-2011, 06:38 PM
Clubman S Turbo
Former Vendor
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I have Flowmaster 40s on my 1992 4 cam Grand Prix and they are also a bear, same issue, major drone (at 2.2K+-). But, pop the clutch and hit the gas and she revs to the moon (7400 redline) and sounds like a small F1 V8 engine. Ahhhh, the trade-offs of life.

Old 08-25-2011, 01:35 PM
Gandalf_The_Grey
Neutral
Update: Sold the Flowmaster yesterday to a guy with a Corvette. Welded on a Magnaflow 18" muffler with a 2.5" inlet dual outlets. Welded on the factory tips to the unit. The car is actually a bit quieter than the stock system now paired with the Magnaflow resonator. The performance is a little different. Much more low-end torque from the increase is back pressure. There is absolutely no drone at any rpm range now. There is noticeable increase in top end pull from this system.

Name:  IMG_20110822_141401.jpg
Views: 820
Size:  66.9 KB

Name:  IMG_20110822_120059.jpg
Views: 764
Size:  131.1 KB

Name:  IMG_20110822_120042.jpg
Views: 789
Size:  103.4 KB

Name:  IMG_20110822_125303.jpg
Views: 733
Size:  114.1 KB

Name:  IMG_20110401_215949.jpg
Views: 723
Size:  74.3 KB

Old 01-12-2014, 08:15 PM
cambo
3rd Gear
sorry to bring up an old thread but...

dang it OP (nice car btw)! I really wish you would've posted a video of that super 10 on the mini! I'm so freaking curious how it sounds.

There's absolutely nothing out there in youtubeland (the closest was an MCS with a 40 series...and even that sounded good)...but just based off the other 'small' cars (most were trucks) that installed the super 10...and hearing the ridiculous sound difference...I HAD to pull the trigger on it. It's sheer curiosity at this point.

And this is undoubtedly going to be hell for me. Not only is my resonator removed, but my interior is completely gutted. The drone that's produced might actually, literally make my ears bleed. and my bowels uncontrollable. But g'damnit I'm doing it. For science.

And by golly, a video will be posted at the very minimum!!

I'm getting it by this Thursday and I'll have it installed over the weekend.

Old 01-15-2014, 08:57 PM
cambo
3rd Gear
awww yeah..just arrived yesterday. Appointment setup with Meineke to install first thing Friday morning. Youtube video will up shortly after!

Name:  CAM00544.jpg
Views: 740
Size:  61.5 KB

Old 01-15-2014, 09:30 PM
scubbysnacks
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Geddam I admire your enthusiasm, don't forget the medical swabs for the ear bleeds

Old 01-15-2014, 10:13 PM
cambo
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by scubbysnacks
Geddam I admire your enthusiasm, don't forget the medical swabs for the ear bleeds
lmfao! for science!

hey how do you like the cnt catted downpipe? any sound difference?