R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 MSC Oil Catch Can Install

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2010, 04:21 PM
Red-Mini
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MSC Oil Catch Can Install

Has anyone installed an Oil Catch Can on a 2009 MCS? Where did you mount the Tank. Can You Post Photos

Old 10-09-2010, 09:28 AM
SteelersFan
5th Gear
Here's a thread mostly about the BSH model OCC with pics of it as well as of other mfr's. Usually it's attached to the (empty) alarm mount and the firewall on the left side.

Old 10-09-2010, 06:06 PM
DOC4444
4th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Can't get that link to display.

DOC

Old 10-10-2010, 10:11 AM
SteelersFan
5th Gear
Originally Posted by DOC4444
Can't get that link to display.

DOC
I have no problems clicking the link but here is the plain text of the page:
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...t-install.html

Old 10-11-2010, 02:01 PM
joey4420
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In my gallery you can see where I just zip tied mine to the firewall... drilled 2 holes and done.

Old 02-03-2012, 12:26 PM
chimivee
2nd Gear
Resurrecting...

I just received the OCC and boost tap from Way Motorworks for my 09 MCS. Besides the photos in the links above, are there any instructions floating around? Or can somebody provide a basic step-by-step?

I'm decently competent with basic car wrenching and this install seems pretty straight-forward (I could probably get by with those photos)... But I've never touched a car machine from this millenium and don't want to muck stuff up.

Thanks!

Old 02-03-2012, 12:36 PM
bluefox280
6th Gear
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by chimivee
I just received the OCC and boost tap from Way Motorworks for my 09 MCS. Besides the photos in the links above, are there any instructions floating around? Or can somebody provide a basic step-by-step?
Right from BSH Speed Shop's website:
* http://www.bshspeedshop.com/bshstore...structions.pdf

- Erik

Old 02-03-2012, 01:23 PM
drsimmons
6th Gear
Resurrecting...

I'm decently competent with basic car wrenching and this install seems pretty straight-forward (I could probably get by with those photos)... But I've never touched a car machine from this millenium and don't want to muck stuff up.

Thanks!
The BSH instructions will help. I've uploaded a pic. of my install of the BSH OCC. On the 07 there is a little plastic tab on the firewall (not sure if the 09 has it but probably does). It has a hole in it already but I re-drilled another hole closer to the firewall and mounted the can there with a nut and bolt. You can see the 2 lines. Get a syringe to empty the can from the dip stick on top, lots easier than trying the manuver your hand down to undo the lower drain screw.
***Did you also purchase the boost tap for the intake side?
It basically plugs off the intake hose.
Sorry about the strut bar hiding the can a bit.

Attached Thumbnails MSC Oil Catch Can Install-dsc0023.jpg  
Old 02-06-2012, 11:20 AM
chimivee
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by bluefox280
Right from BSH Speed Shop's website:
* http://www.bshspeedshop.com/bshstore...structions.pdf
Thanks for the boost tap instructions Eric. You know, I emailed BSH prior to posting, inquiring about instructions for the OCC/boost tap and they replied that they did not yet have them online. So either they were mistaken or they posted them up right afterwards. I see they have the OCC instructions available too. Perfect!

Originally Posted by drsimmons
***Did you also purchase the boost tap for the intake side?
Thanks for the pic. Yes, I did get the boost tap as well.

Old 02-06-2012, 12:17 PM
drsimmons
6th Gear
Install was very easy. Believe me, I'm no mechanic but only fair with mechanical issues. I figured if I can do it, anyone can.
When I received my items (OCC and boost tap), I had instructions in the boxes. Weird yours didn't have them.

Old 02-06-2012, 03:35 PM
chimivee
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by drsimmons
Install was very easy. Believe me, I'm no mechanic but only fair with mechanical issues. I figured if I can do it, anyone can.
When I received my items (OCC and boost tap), I had instructions in the boxes. Weird yours didn't have them.
Yeah, I was surprised not to find instructions included. I ordered from Way Motor Works and had also emailed them asking about instructions, but they did not reply. (I'm 0 for 2 in email responses from them )

Anyway, I appreciate the input. It indeed looks very straight-forward.

Old 02-06-2012, 03:49 PM
drsimmons
6th Gear
Got mine from Way as well.

Old 02-06-2012, 05:05 PM
Porthos
OVERDRIVE
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Don't panic like I did. It really is not that big of a deal to install. Take your time and you can get it done in about 15 to 20 minutes.

Old 02-06-2012, 07:20 PM
bluefox280
6th Gear
So either they were mistaken or they posted them up right afterwards. I see they have the OCC instructions available too. Perfect!
Well, those directions have been posted for at least a year.
I've referenced them several times for at least that long...

- Erik

Old 02-12-2012, 12:42 AM
chimivee
2nd Gear
Thanks again for the info, all. Installed OCC and boost tap today. Easy, peasy.

Had a problem with the boost tap retention clip, though... It was too short in length/depth to reach/hook the ridge on the valve cover inlet:

Hard to see from the photo, but the boost tap is fully inserted, and clip is pushed as far forward as it will go, with screw tightened.

Anyway, no big deal - I just made a clip from a piece of corner brace and it works fine... But I'm wondering if anyone else encountered this issue?

Old 02-12-2012, 04:40 AM
drsimmons
6th Gear
^^Nice job. I believe my boost tap was like that also. It's held for 6 months so no prob. Don't forget to check the can. More water/condensation when it's colder outside. When hot temps., not much.
Get a plastic syringe with a little length of hose to suction out from the little dip stick.
Have a good day.

Old 02-12-2012, 06:19 AM
richardsperry
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Or... Just a couple of options...

The first time I tried the syringe way, it was mess and took forever. So I went another way.

If you happen to have a Mighty Vac, you can assemble a couple of barbed fittings on a lid to a large jar. Then use the Mighty Vac to empty the OOC in 1 shot. I think I used 1/4" brass barbed fittings. (whatever size hose fit the MV, I got them at Home Depot) Anyway, I drilled 2 holes in the top of the lid to a big size jelly jar, and threaded/rtv'ed the fittings to the lid. Now it a simple matter of remove the dipstick, insert hose, pump Mighty Vac, replace dipstick... I can then empty the jar into the waste oil holder with mess or cleanup required.

Or, you could intall a 1/4" valve in the bottom plug hole, and do it that way.

Old 02-12-2012, 06:41 AM
sLy201
5th Gear
can I asked a very stupid and beginner question ?? What exactly does the oil catch can do ?? Is it something that can possibly enhance the life of the motor and does it help with keeping the oil and motor clean ??

I know a couple of people have them but it never occurred to ask ...

thanks and sorry for such a noobie quesiton

Old 02-12-2012, 07:05 AM
bluefox280
6th Gear
Originally Posted by sLy201
can I asked a very stupid and beginner question ?? What exactly does the oil catch can do ?? Is it something that can possibly enhance the life of the motor and does it help with keeping the oil and motor clean ??
Simply put, the positive crankcase ventilation (PCV) is designed to remove unburned hydrocarbons from above the cylinder head. The two ports on the N14 (driver side and passenger side [closes during boost]) suck out the air from the valve cover that has oil vapor. With the passenger PCV plug and blocked, the evacuated air from the valve cover is directed through the catch can where the air is cooled to condense and fluid vapor. After leaving the catch can, the air is sucked into the inlet side of the turbocharger.

Since the turbo'ed "S"-model engines are direct injected, there's no fuel washdown on the backside of the valves in the cylinder head. As a result, the valves can have significant carbon build-up due to the oil vapor being baked on the valve. Many have documented that adding a catch can has reduced the amount of carbon coking on the valves.

- Erik