R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Fan doesn't shut off right away after turning off the engine

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2009, 09:21 AM
caffeinewired
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fan doesn't shut off right away after turning off the engine

I have a 2-week old baby, I mean MINI and this had happened at least 4 times now that after turning off my car (keys out, me outside the car) and the fan (I think because of the noise) doesn't turn off right away. Is this normal? It will go on for at least 10 minutes before it shuts down completely.

I don't know anything about cars. So your opinion/assistance is greatly appreciated. This is an 09 MCS, btw.

Old 07-23-2009, 09:22 AM
robotrock
2nd Gear
Yep - completely normal.

Old 07-23-2009, 09:27 AM
caffeinewired
1st Gear
Wow thanks for the quick reply. I got scared after researching some older threads here about the 'PS fan', then again most of those posts refer to older MINIs.
I did ask my officemate and he said it's normal when the car is hot, but he doesn't own the same care so I'd rather ask again here

Old 07-23-2009, 09:35 AM
robotrock
2nd Gear
Yeah MINIS keep recirculating coolant for a while after the car shuts off. It weirded me out when I got my first one as well

Old 07-23-2009, 09:35 AM
countryboyshane
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
You'll also hear an auxiliary oil pump cooling off the turbo bearings. That stays on about the same time.

Old 07-23-2009, 11:32 AM
MyroMini
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
BMWs do the same. On hot days, or if you drive the car hard, just before shutting off the engine

Old 07-23-2009, 11:37 AM
bssiesmth
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by countryboyshane
You'll also hear an auxiliary oil pump cooling off the turbo bearings. That stays on about the same time.
That's pretty cool. If I remember correctly, my old A3 turbo manual said you should keep the car running for a while after stopping if you had been using it a lot, since the turbo bearings would stop receiving oil the moment you turned off the engine.

Old 07-24-2009, 09:41 PM
eR1c
5th Gear
yes older turbo cars require that you idle the engine for a few minutes before shutting off the engine (for more than a trip in and out of the grocery store). Like mentioned above, this is to get oil circulated to the turbo bearings. Newer turbo cars have electric pumps that circulate the oil even after you shut the car off. -so no need to let it idle.

Our fans run for about 10min's to cool the engine. One thing I ALWAYS do on my cars is open the hood after a long drive and when I am done driving it for the day (like when I park it in the garage). Opening the hood releases all the hot air quicker. Doing this you'll notice the fan will shut off after about 2mins instead of 10min. Also I don't like the idea of all the rubber hoses and plastic parts being trapped in that hot environment w/o cold air rushing in (like when your driving).

Old 07-27-2009, 11:00 AM
ecupip
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mine only stays running for maybe 10 seconds after I shut off the car. Haven't ever heard mine stay running for 10 minutes even after driving really hard around town. Maybe I should have mine looked at next time it is in the shop.

Old 02-13-2012, 08:40 AM
HiMac
1st Gear
My wife had a 07 Mini and the fan would stay on after long drives which i understood... Now my wife has a 2012 Mini Cooper S and the fan does NOT stayed on.. should I be worried? She drives the same distances as before, are the MCS's better ventilated that they don't need to cool down or is there a possible issue?

I do have to note that it is winter and the average temp in Boston this season has been 20 F-45 F.

Old 02-14-2012, 04:45 PM
Spice Orange JCW
4th Gear
Originally Posted by countryboyshane

It is not an oil pump. It pumps radiator fluid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JBLb...eature=related

Old 02-14-2012, 05:29 PM
drsimmons
6th Gear
The louder fan running is the fan motoring circulating coolant to cool the engine. This is normal if it's hot outside. If the outside temp is cold, it should not run at all or very little if it does. If it runs a long time when cold outside, let car set awhile then check the coolant level in the overflow bottle. Could be low on coolant.

Old 02-15-2012, 11:32 AM
HiMac
1st Gear
Originally Posted by drsimmons
The louder fan running is the fan motoring circulating coolant to cool the engine. This is normal if it's hot outside. If the outside temp is cold, it should not run at all or very little if it does. If it runs a long time when cold outside, let car set awhile then check the coolant level in the overflow bottle. Could be low on coolant.

Thanks will do!

Old 02-15-2012, 03:36 PM
Benibiker
6th Gear
Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts
It all depends on outside temp, time idling, how your drove your car, A/C on or off just prior to shutting down. Too many variables but it's safe to say it does stay on most of the time. In my case if I used the A/C it'll stay on but if I don't use it sometimes it stays on sometimes not...

Old 08-03-2013, 03:22 PM
dave35630
Neutral
Cooling question with 2007 MC

I have a 2007 mini cooper that I suspect has a cooling fan problem. The older MCs have the resistor fail that causes the low speed fan not to work. My car seems to have this problem but I cannot find the resistor. The fan will come on after a long time or you turn on the A/C. I never have a low speed fan and it doesn't run after the car is turned off. Is there a resistor in another location from the radiator housing or is there another relay? I have the car apart and can not find a resistor and the fan is a 2 wire and obviously not a 2 speed fan. I have checked the fuses and they are ok. It has had the yellow hot light come on twice. I have added coolant but I think there is still a problem, help!

Faze 2, I have taken the car apart and found a some coolant on the transmission case, the thermostat housing is right above this area. I removed the thermostat housing and am planning on replacing it.(The thermostat is part of the housing) The Nashville and Atlanta dealer are out of them but I was able to locate one in Memphis. They are back ordered in Nashville and Atlanta so there must be a reason. I am also replacing the fan relay.(cheap) The fan would come on when I turned on the a/c on but after turning the a/c off it stayed on.(maybe sticky) I am not replacing the coolant temperature sensor and hope that is ok. I has a 5k ohm resistance at room temperature if anyone knows what it should be. I may change the sensor if the fan still doesn't cooperate. Also, does anyone know what the connection is that goes in the housing right at the thermostat? Just curious.

2007 Mini, BRG metallic w/ white top and mirrors. Answers to Chicklet.

Faze 3, still having problems.
I replaced the thermostat housing which includes 2 sensors and a new thermostat, and I also replaced the relay. Unfortunately, I have the same problem. The fan doesn't come on when the car gets hot, you can only get it to come on with the air conditioner. I flushed the cooling system and replaced with new coolant. I am pretty much stumped at this point. I will disconnect the battery to reset the computer but I don't think that will help either. Next is the shop unless one of you folks have an idea. Thanks for the comments so far.

Last edited by dave35630; 08-18-2013 at 06:58 AM. Reason: Faze 3, update
Old 08-03-2013, 08:45 PM
mellocooper
4th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
My 2011 clubman threw a CEL a couple weeks ago and started running the fan for a long time (>10 min) after turning the car off. It would also start the fan as soon as I turned the car on.

Dealer said it was a coolant temperature sensor and was on recall.

I don't think you have quite the same symptoms as me, but the coolant temp sensor might be a place to look.

edit: Both my cars are non-S and neither has ever run the fan or anything more than about a second after shutting off.

Old 08-04-2013, 09:54 AM
SmittyRN
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dave35630
I have a 2007 mini cooper that I suspect has a cooling fan problem. The older MCs have the resistor fail that causes the low speed fan not to work. My car seems to have this problem but I cannot find the resistor. The fan will come on after a long time or you turn on the A/C. I never have a low speed fan and it doesn't run after the car is turned off. Is there a resistor in another location from the radiator housing or is there another relay? I have the car apart and can not find a resistor and the fan is a 2 wire and obviously not a 2 speed fan. I have checked the fuses and they are ok. It has had the yellow hot light come on twice. I have added coolant but I think there is still a problem, help!
I don't know about a 2007, but on the R53's the resistor is under part of the fan housing; you can't see it until you pull the relay assembly out.

Old 09-01-2013, 07:52 PM
dave35630
Neutral
Fan not working

I have posted above and have a problem that the fan will not come on when the car gets hot and only comes on when you run the air conditioning and then if you turn the air off the fan runs until you turn the car off. I have changed the thermostat housing and the 2 sensors that are on the housing, the thermostat, and the fan relay and this did not help. I bought a manual and have been able the rig the fan to run as long as the car is running, so I can now drive the car for the time being. From the Henley book the only thing I see that may be the problem is the computer. Has anyone had this problem? Can I change the computer myself? I know that I can change it physically but will another computer work without setting it up with the dealer's fancy equipment? Thanks!

Old 04-06-2014, 09:59 PM
astrobeez
Neutral
Originally Posted by dave35630
I have posted above and have a problem that the fan will not come on when the car gets hot and only comes on when you run the air conditioning and then if you turn the air off the fan runs until you turn the car off. I have changed the thermostat housing and the 2 sensors that are on the housing, the thermostat, and the fan relay and this did not help. I bought a manual and have been able the rig the fan to run as long as the car is running, so I can now drive the car for the time being. From the Henley book the only thing I see that may be the problem is the computer. Has anyone had this problem? Can I change the computer myself? I know that I can change it physically but will another computer work without setting it up with the dealer's fancy equipment? Thanks!
Hey Dave did you ever fix the issue?

I have a similar issue. It is super inconsistent though. Last week it wouldn't shut off for a couple hours so I pulled the relay to turn it off. I ended up changing the water temp sensor only. It seemed like the fan fuse was on pre-2007 models. But just today I did a 20 minute drive and went on again after I turned off the car and ran for a few minutes. It was about 60 degrees out. Should the car even with a "good sensor" be running this fan after a short drive for a few minutes? in 60 degree weather?

I have a 2007 Cooper Base. This issue is driving me nuts.

Do you know what two sensors come with the thermostat housing?

Any info would be great. thanks!

Old 04-07-2014, 04:18 AM
yetti96
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by astrobeez
Hey Dave did you ever fix the issue?

I have a similar issue. It is super inconsistent though. Last week it wouldn't shut off for a couple hours so I pulled the relay to turn it off. I ended up changing the water temp sensor only. It seemed like the fan fuse was on pre-2007 models. But just today I did a 20 minute drive and went on again after I turned off the car and ran for a few minutes. It was about 60 degrees out. Should the car even with a "good sensor" be running this fan after a short drive for a few minutes? in 60 degree weather?

I have a 2007 Cooper Base. This issue is driving me nuts.

Do you know what two sensors come with the thermostat housing?

Any info would be great. thanks!

This post was the last post from Dave, just over 6 months ago...not sure you are going to get an answer.

Old 04-09-2014, 06:27 PM
dave35630
Neutral
2007 fan not running without air.

I still have this problem. I have added a relay to the car that turns the fan on when you crank the car, it works but I would rather it work correctly. I still think it is the computer but I don't know if I bought a used one if it would work without the dealer putting the
"setup" on it. From all the other posts it appeared I would have had a leaking pump housing soon anyway so it was good to get the water pump replaced.

Old 12-28-2015, 05:12 PM
Black-eyed-Purple-Mini S
3rd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My 2011 S JCW does this now, and threw a CEL code…..It is a thermostat. Which is getting fixed this week.

Old 12-29-2015, 07:30 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,965 Likes on 1,765 Posts
+1 when it runs longer then usual its the thermostat leaking or air in the system. We have them in stock as the Genuine MINI one is on back order.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...8-no-heat.html

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 12-29-2015, 11:28 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
If a fault occurs in the thermostat, a fault code is stored in the ECM, usually with a description of "Map cooling circuit". A fault code can be present yet the vehicle will lack any cooling system issues, such as overheating. This is because the thermostat has a fail-safe mechanical function as well. If you have this fault code, replace your thermostat and bleed your cooling system. Other symptoms of a faulty thermostat are engine overheating, slow to warm up and lack of heat. We have a DIY that can help with the replacement. If you're wanting to do a cooling overhaul, we have kits HERE that include the water pump and thermostat.

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 12-29-2015, 05:51 PM
miniuy
5th Gear
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by ECSTuning
+1 when it runs longer then usual its the thermostat leaking or air in the system. We have them in stock as the Genuine MINI one is on back order.
+1

Originally Posted by PelicanParts.com
If a fault occurs in the thermostat, a fault code is stored in the ECM, usually with a description of "Map cooling circuit". A fault code can be present yet the vehicle will lack any cooling system issues, such as overheating. This is because the thermostat has a fail-safe mechanical function as well. If you have this fault code, replace your thermostat and bleed your cooling system. Other symptoms of a faulty thermostat are engine overheating, slow to warm up and lack of heat. We have a DIY that can help with the replacement. If you're wanting to do a cooling overhaul, we have kits that include the water pump and thermostat.
+1

Cooling fan running with engine off IS NOT "normal". 10 minutes? Either!
There is a problem with the thermostat or maybe a problem with the fan relay on the engine fuse box.

Last edited by miniuy; 12-29-2015 at 06:13 PM.

Quick Reply: R56 Fan doesn't shut off right away after turning off the engine