R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Clutchless

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2009, 11:42 AM
ellinara
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clutchless

Is it okay to shift from any gear to neutral (At low engine speeds ie. between 900-1300RPM).

Old 02-17-2009, 12:35 PM
djam43
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 02-17-2009, 12:46 PM
DChap
5th Gear
Since the car has a syncrmesh gearbox it is possible to shift both in and out of gears without using the clutch. However, it is not something that I would recommend doing on a daily basis as you will miss shift and end up doing more ware and tare on the gearbox overtime.

Short story is yes you can, but don't do it.

Old 02-17-2009, 12:57 PM
sonichris
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
yes

Old 02-17-2009, 02:46 PM
miniclubman
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ellinara
Is it okay to shift from any gear to neutral (At low engine speeds ie. between 900-1300RPM).
To answer a question with a question: why would you want to do this?

Old 02-17-2009, 03:04 PM
glangford
6th Gear
Originally Posted by miniclubman
To answer a question with a question: why would you want to do this?
+1

Old 02-17-2009, 04:07 PM
sonichris
3rd Gear
OP wanted to know if it was ok to shift from a gear to neutral without the clutch when there was no load on the tranny. the answer is yes. 'why' is a different thread.

Old 02-17-2009, 04:38 PM
RaceTripper
6th Gear
Originally Posted by sonichris
OP wanted to know if it was ok to shift from a gear to neutral without the clutch when there was no load on the tranny. the answer is yes. 'why' is a different thread.
This thread is a good as any for why? I'm curious too.

If it's a problem to push in the clutch then why get a manual to begin with? Isn't that what slushies are for?

Old 02-17-2009, 04:44 PM
muladesigns1
6th Gear
yes you can. at a certain rpm ( i do not know the exact number)
the shifter will just pull rite out of gear without being forced. it will not hurt anything.
now with that said,
Why would you want to do this?

Old 02-17-2009, 04:51 PM
MoxieMini
6th Gear
This whole thread makes me laugh.

:popc orn:

I, too, am curious as to why, though.

Old 02-17-2009, 05:13 PM
AstroBlackS
5th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm guessing, an attempt to minimize gas consumptiuon.

Old 02-17-2009, 05:25 PM
muladesigns1
6th Gear
Originally Posted by AstroBlackS
I'm guessing, an attempt to minimize gas consumptiuon.
how would pressing a clutch save gas?

Old 02-17-2009, 05:31 PM
miniemee
3rd Gear
I shift from whatever gear I am to neutral at about 1000 rpm and dont use the clutch. It sames my clutch leg and is one less time that the throwout bearing has to be used.

Old 02-17-2009, 05:40 PM
Bottoz
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by miniemee
I shift from whatever gear I am to neutral at about 1000 rpm and dont use the clutch. It sames my clutch leg and is one less time that the throwout bearing has to be used.
Yeah, I never brake for corners.... easier on the brake pads. But it sure does wear the tires!

Old 02-17-2009, 05:41 PM
muladesigns1
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Bottoz
Yeah, I never brake for corners.... saves on the pads. But it sure does wear the tires!

thought i was the only one

Old 02-17-2009, 10:06 PM
sonichris
3rd Gear
sheesh... ask a simple question... i normally don't do this because to me it's just second nature to use the clutch, so i don't even think about it. but if i feel lazy or i'm in stop and go traffic i'll start doing it to keep my leg from getting tired.

or hell, sometimes i do it just to do it and go, "wow, that was supercool! i just pulled it out of gear without using the clutch and it was very smooth and effortless and doesn't cause ANY damage whatsoever. i'm going to post it on NAM because i'm sure my fellow mini aficionados will ALSO think this is supercool and will have nothing but nice things to say."

Old 02-17-2009, 10:14 PM
element
3rd Gear
I do this on a regular basis, especially in traffic... there is a point when there is very little pressure on the gearbox when you are letting off the gas and the car transitions from accelerating to decelerating - you can just pull it out of gear.

Technically it would produce less wear on your clutch - realistically not so much.

I do it because i can.. keeps me from going crazzy in traffic :P

If you want to save your clutch practice your heel/toe & rev matching which limits any clutch riding and smooths out your driving.. my clutch has 160,000 KM and seems to be going strong (knock on mini dash)

phil.

Old 02-18-2009, 06:14 AM
Noegel
5th Gear
Originally Posted by sonichris
sheesh... ask a simple question... i normally don't do this because to me it's just second nature to use the clutch, so i don't even think about it. but if i feel lazy or i'm in stop and go traffic i'll start doing it to keep my leg from getting tired.

or hell, sometimes i do it just to do it and go, "wow, that was supercool! i just pulled it out of gear without using the clutch and it was very smooth and effortless and doesn't cause ANY damage whatsoever. i'm going to post it on NAM because i'm sure my fellow mini aficionados will ALSO think this is supercool and will have nothing but nice things to say."

That's an unnecessary comment... the OP was just asking if it was okay. It's not like they were bragging about it like you seem to think. It is a legitimate motoring question. Not everyone knows everything there is to know about the automobile...

Old 02-18-2009, 06:23 AM
4xAAA
6th Gear
I shift out of gear without using the clutch every now and then. For instance, I am a half mile from a red light at 55. Coasting down in gear sheds speed to fast. Holding speed is gonna get me there to quick. It is kinda lazy driving, but popping into neutral and using the brake for small adjustments, I just mosey into the traffic flow, out of the now green light, nice and easy.

It doesn't hurt anything, but it can be against the law in some states (you can't drive around in neutral). How they would enforce this is a big question.

Old 02-18-2009, 07:58 AM
RaceTripper
6th Gear
Originally Posted by 4xAAA
I shift out of gear without using the clutch every now and then. For instance, I am a half mile from a red light at 55. Coasting down in gear sheds speed to fast. Holding speed is gonna get me there to quick.
I'm sorry, but that's the dumbest thing I've heard all day. Are your car controls skills really that bad. Just so you know, if you are in gear you can use the brake and throttle to modulate speed (that's actually what they are for...no really!), even for those long distances to your red light.

Sorry, couldn't resist...

Old 02-18-2009, 08:59 AM
sikamini
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by ellinara
Shifting to neutral should not be a problem. Shifting to a gear you would have to be familiar with matching the engine speed. It's an old technique, I've used it on old cars, but I've resisted the urge with the MINI. When you have the right engine speed match, it should just drop into gear with just slight pressure. Up or down shouldn't make any difference, but I wouldn't really encourage this as a way to drive your MINI.

Old 02-18-2009, 09:24 AM
4xAAA
6th Gear
Honest, Tripper, I don't know why they let me drive.

But I did use the caveat "lazy driving". Here in Texas, or at least the part I am in, you can catch a red light or stop sign 1/2 a mile or so from a 70 mph zone. TxDoT puts up speed limit signs dropping it like 70-60-45 right before stop. We're not talking interstates, just small town Texas. Sux to the max.

I can judge the deceleration rate on my MINI in situations like I described. Rolling along I make a quick judgement call on the light, kick it out of gear, and roll on up. I only have to brake for minor adjustments.

I usually use this roll down time to wipe away sweat, rehydrate, and check in with the pit crew. Might have to come in for fuel, tires, or a chasis adjustment.

Old 02-18-2009, 09:31 AM
sikamini
6th Gear
.........[edit]..................
I usually use this roll down time to wipe away sweat, rehydrate, and check in with the pit crew. Might have to come in for fuel, tires, or a chasis adjustment.

Pics!!!!

Old 02-18-2009, 09:32 AM
RaceTripper
6th Gear
Honest, Tripper, I don't know why they let me drive.

But I did use the caveat "lazy driving". Here in Texas, or at least the part I am in, you can catch a red light or stop sign 1/2 a mile or so from a 70 mph zone. TxDoT puts up speed limit signs dropping it like 70-60-45 right before stop. We're not talking interstates, just small town Texas. Sux to the max.

I can judge the deceleration rate on my MINI in situations like I described. Rolling along I make a quick judgement call on the light, kick it out of gear, and roll on up. I only have to brake for minor adjustments.

Sounds to me like you just need to upgrade to the JCW big brakes.

I've been through central Florida in my M3. I know those types of roads you speak of. It's a good way to practice heel-toe downshifting.

Old 02-18-2009, 09:34 AM
sikamini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by RaceTripper
Sounds to me like you just need to upgrade to the JCW big brakes.

I've been through central Florida in my M3. I know those types of roads you speak of. It's a good way to practice heel-toe downshifting.
I think he's just trying to sneak up on an aggie!

Quick Reply: R56 Clutchless