R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Do I need any phone adapter?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 02:59 PM
gababo
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do I need any phone adapter?

I have Premium, sport, cold weather, and convenience package with bluetooth/USB connector. I'm planning to buy bluetooth phone (currently I have AT&T very simple prepaid phone) but wondering if I need special phone adapter if I want to keep my phone in arm-rest console.
Where can I optain adapter information? If I don't need adapter, can I plug my phone in arm-rest console? Which phone doesn't need special adapter?
I really appreciate your help.

Old 07-08-2008, 10:28 AM
npalao
2nd Gear
Well, the adapters in the armrests are for the old phones without a bluetooth connection. So I think it ging to be hard to find one for your phone, specially when you will be using the wireless bluetooth connection.

Old 07-08-2008, 10:58 AM
Sowellman
6th Gear
Originally Posted by npalao
Well, the adapters in the armrests are for the old phones without a bluetooth connection. So I think it ging to be hard to find one for your phone, specially when you will be using the wireless bluetooth connection.
That's not true. I have a Motorola Razr phone with bluetooth and have an armrest adapter for it.

The number of adapters is limited, however. Only certain phones are supported and you generally have to order the part as a BMW part.

If you go through my previous posts, you can find several threads which contain a link for a business that offers the inserts and the proper BMW part number. I ordered mine from Classic Mini in Ohio, which offers a discount for NAM members.

Old 07-08-2008, 11:03 AM
npalao
2nd Gear
I don't know what part of my answer is not true, since I only stated that it may be hard to find the right one for his model. I personally, since use t he bluetooth connection and not a physical one, I keep my phone in my pocket at all times. I think it is just a matter of preferences.

Old 07-08-2008, 11:07 AM
Sowellman
6th Gear
You said the adapters were for old phones without bluetooth capability. That's what I said was not true.

Old 07-08-2008, 11:15 AM
npalao
2nd Gear
Well, maybe it was a misunderstanding. I meant that originally, those connectors were meant for the use of phones (that at the time did not have bluetooth capabilities). Since today most of them have, I don't see a reason to connect it physically.

Old 07-08-2008, 11:35 AM
Sowellman
6th Gear
Originally Posted by npalao
Well, maybe it was a misunderstanding. I meant that originally, those connectors were meant for the use of phones (that at the time did not have bluetooth capabilities). Since today most of them have, I don't see a reason to connect it physically.
Yes, I see what you meant. The only real advantage of these inserts is that they charge your phone back up, without the need to have a plug-in for the cigarette lighter.

They claim that because of the car's internal antenna, you should get a stronger signal when connected to the insert, but I haven't found a noticeable difference. Like you, I keep my phone in my pocket most of the time. I will plug it in on longer trips, though, to charge up the battery.

I'm still glad I bought it. Others will have to measure whether the benefits justify the cost.

Old 07-08-2008, 11:37 AM
npalao
2nd Gear
Good point, never thought about the battery!

Old 07-08-2008, 11:38 AM
geekswrath
5th Gear
Check over in the Audio/Nav sub forum if you have more questions, there has been a lot of discussion on which phones work and how/where to get the inserts.

Old 07-08-2008, 07:43 PM
SimpsonGI
Coordinator :: Emerald MINI Car Club
It is nice not to have to carry around a car charger. Like Sowellman, I haven't really noticed a difference in call quality with the added use of the built in antenna but I'm happy I got the insert for Motorola Razor V3M. I was using a LG phone when I first got my MINI and switched to the Razor in order to get a insert for the armrest.

Old 07-09-2008, 11:42 AM
moe-jiller
3rd Gear
Current list of Mini - BMW phones supported through the arm rest adapters. http://www.wireless4mini.com/phones.html

Old 07-09-2008, 06:16 PM
Sowellman
6th Gear
Originally Posted by moe-jiller
Current list of Mini - BMW phones supported through the arm rest adapters. http://www.wireless4mini.com/phones.html
Are you sure that's the list of phones for which adapters are available for? The phones there seem to be ones that Mini certifies will work with the car's bluetooth system. It doesn't say anything about cradles.

Here's a link for BMW cradles, which will also fit the R56 Mini:
http://www.wireless4bmw.com/cradles.html

Old 07-09-2008, 07:25 PM
moe-jiller
3rd Gear
Yes - my bad sent the wrong link. Try this one also. http://bimmernav.com/snapins.html

Old 07-10-2008, 11:54 AM
ajbotko1
Neutral
Good luck getting the"phone cradle for your armrest. I have been in contact with MiniUSA, and all I get is a run around. The convenience pkg states you can charge your phone and use the cars antenna system by plugging your phone into console. What they don't state is that the phone cradle doesn't exist as part of the option. RIP-OFF. $500 of the convience pkg is for the comfort bluetooth option that can't be used. The dealership was worthless, they didn't even know what I was talking about, when I asked them about the "cradle. Hope you have better luck.

Old 07-10-2008, 12:39 PM
Sowellman
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ajbotko1
Good luck getting the"phone cradle for your armrest. I have been in contact with MiniUSA, and all I get is a run around. The convenience pkg states you can charge your phone and use the cars antenna system by plugging your phone into console. What they don't state is that the phone cradle doesn't exist as part of the option. RIP-OFF. $500 of the convience pkg is for the comfort bluetooth option that can't be used. The dealership was worthless, they didn't even know what I was talking about, when I asked them about the "cradle. Hope you have better luck.
Last year, we were led to believe that the insert would be part of the package. It wasn't.

Many dealers have been confused about the inserts because, apparently, Mini hasn't provided them with any information. I was able to order an insert after figuring out the BMW part number for the proper insert for my V3 Razr. It works fine.

Just because you don't have an insert doesn't mean you can't use the bluetooth system. It works fine, with or without the insert. The insert allows you to charge your phone and is supposed to connect to an internal antenna, giving you better reception. Again, though, you don't need the insert to use the hands-free bluetooth system.

Old 07-11-2008, 05:39 AM
ajbotko1
Neutral
Cradle

I agree, the bluetooth portion of the option works great. My point is I could have purchased that option at a lot less cost, had I wanted JUST bluetooth capabilities. My bone of contention is the false advertising associated with the Convenience package and the Comfort Bluetooth/iPod option. It specifically states that with this option you can charge the phone, and use the cars antenna to boost signal. It doesn't state anywhere that it will cost you an additional $100+ for the cradle. This is deceptive marketing/advertising and potential Mini buyers should be made aware of the rip-off.