R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Oil leak from bottom of hatch door?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2008, 10:49 AM
rudecat
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil leak from bottom of hatch door?

I have a brand new Mini Cooper and I noticed that there is some kink of clear oil leaking out of the hole on the bottom middle of the hatch door onto my rear bumper. Has anyone else had this problem? Is the door missing a seal?

Old 06-21-2008, 10:53 AM
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rudecat
I have a brand new Mini Cooper and I noticed that there is some kink of clear oil leaking out of the hole on the bottom middle of the hatch door onto my rear bumper. Has anyone else had this problem? Is the door missing a seal?
Is it possible that it's water leaking out of one of the drain holes? Maybe it's picking up residue on the way down the drain making it "Oily". I don't think there are any parts in the rear that use clear oil for lubrication.

Take a picture maybe of where it's leaking from.

Old 06-21-2008, 11:02 AM
rudecat
1st Gear
Thanks!

Thanks. I'll check out your theory and take a picture as soon as I can. I can't imagine that it could be anything serious from the location.

Old 06-21-2008, 12:50 PM
Dark Knight
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by rudecat
It is the protective rust proofing and wax that is used when it is shipped over. It will leak out for some time in the rear and around the front too. Windex will take off the residue and not hurt the paint. There are some other threads about this issue. Both my "S" and my wife's Clubman have the issue. Mostly since it has gotten really hot outside. The SA said it might leak for up to a year. I just cleaned off some the other day. I hope that helps.

Old 06-21-2008, 01:16 PM
rudecat
1st Gear
That's a relief!

Thanks for the info. I feel better now. It's just one of many things they don't tell you.

Old 06-21-2008, 06:58 PM
JudgeS
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Does it look like yellow grease, almost like egg yoke?

Old 06-21-2008, 08:13 PM
drtdvl
1st Gear
what I have observed is a yellow grease-like substance coming from the same area. There is a thread titled, Cosmolene which I think is the same thing.

Just now need to google "Cosmolene" to see what it is.

Old 06-21-2008, 08:25 PM
JudgeS
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Searched it, comes off best with Mr.Clean magic eraser, may take some time before it actually stops.

Old 06-21-2008, 10:54 PM
rudecat
1st Gear
Substance

It's not a yellow thick substance. It's clear and very thin. Just has an oily feel to it.

Old 06-22-2008, 05:43 AM
pilotart
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Your windshield washer fluid is plumbed back to your rear window washer, being soapy it could also pick up additional characteristics if it leaked at rear wiper assembly and ran through inside of Boot Hatch.

Cosmoline is sort of a waxey/greasey material and would prevent corrosion.

Old 06-22-2008, 10:51 AM
rudecat
1st Gear
Thanks!

Thanks. That's probably it if it isn't cosmolene. I'll just keep an eye on it. Hopefully it will stop.

Old 06-22-2008, 11:44 PM
Ken G.
4th Gear
I'm getting the same stuff from both the boot and the bonnet, but only on hot days. I would concur that it's an anti-corrosion grease that's used on the cars when shipped from overseas. It's not cosmolene in the classic sense, since that stuff's really thick, brown and difficult to remove. The stuff in my Mini is actually quite easy to clean up and I'm not bothered by it at all. After the second heat wave here in San Diego (over 90 degrees F for a total of 10 days) the grease has stopped coming out.

Old 06-23-2008, 11:27 AM
rudecat
1st Gear
Thanks!

Thanks. That confirms what other people have told me. I'll stop worrying about it. I already think is may have stopped. I'm in Sacramento and it's been really HOT here lately as well.

Old 07-06-2008, 08:59 AM
dhoosee
3rd Gear
Yes, I'm getting it leaking from beneath my rear wiper, onto the chrome trim, and then the boot. Must be coming from the wiper assembly itself.

Just had white sport stripes installed yesterday, and it leaked onto the new white stripe. I cleaned it up with some degreasing cleaner, then put a light coating of wax on the stripe to help keep it from staining.

Guess I'll just keep wiping and cleaning until the (grease/cosmoline) well runs dry!

Last edited by dhoosee; 07-06-2008 at 07:22 PM.
Old 07-06-2008, 09:43 AM
Ken G.
4th Gear
I've also been getted that from the rear wiper. Seems to have stopped for me. BTW: Love the name Onslow, we're big "Keeping Up Appearances" fans.

Old 07-06-2008, 10:17 AM
dhoosee
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Ken G.
I've also been getted that from the rear wiper. Seems to have stopped for me. BTW: Love the name Onslow, we're big "Keeping Up Appearances" fans.

Thanks, Ken!
Don't know a lot of people who have seen or know of K.U.A., but I'm glad that you get it!

I'll be "christening" Onslow shortly (once I get the vanity plate and new wheels put on). This will entail a blast to the boot with a can of shaken-up Boddington's followed by a hail of crumbled crisps (or Jays potato chips, since I cant get true English chips here in Illinois). I really think that the sloppiness of it all will capture the true spirit that is Onslow. I'll video the event and post soon. Hopefully, by that time, the greasy goo running from the rear wiper will have stopped, and I'll be able to keep it clean from that point on.

Old 07-06-2008, 05:14 PM
Ken G.
4th Gear
We can only hope your Onslow moves faster than the other Onslow!

You should get a MY Mini and call it Daisy.

Personally, I like pawn cocktail crips and a good Guiness, but a Boddie's is a close second. If you really can't find British crisps, PM me, I have a place that has them here in SD.