R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 "premium sound" 10 speakers vs. Harmon Kardon

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 12:14 PM
Soonersdude
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"premium sound" 10 speakers vs. Harmon Kardon

I know this seems like it should be in the audio forum, but I am considering options on an 08 MC. Still nailing down the colors, but pretty much have it spec'ed out the way I want.

I went to the Dallas auto show last night and sat in an 08 drop top MCS with the Harmon Kardon system in it. To me, it sounded like it had a little more bass and fuller sound. Can anyone attest to how it compairs to the MC premium system?

Keep in mind I am probably going to lease, so I wont be able to just "scrap the OEM and pick up X brand in the store". Simply trying to evaluate what Mini has out there for me.

Thanks in Advance!

Michael

Old 04-03-2008, 12:20 PM
driveblind
2nd Gear
I believe that what MINI is calling the Premium system now is still made by Harman - it just doesn't have their branding.

Old 04-03-2008, 12:22 PM
Soonersdude
1st Gear
Originally Posted by driveblind
I believe that what MINI is calling the Premium system now is still made by Harman - it just doesn't have their branding.
Do you believe it sounds the same, then?

Old 04-03-2008, 12:38 PM
ipeverywhere
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The H/K is boomier and will play louder with less distortion. The newer system (made up of Alpine and H/K parts see this thread: https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...d.php?t=129303) has a lot more detail but distorts horridly even at moderate volume with some content. Changing the audio options (terrible, fade, bass, etc.) helps a lot but it never has a lot of boom.

I prefer the newer system until the point it starts to fall apart :(

Old 04-03-2008, 01:24 PM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
The new HiFi isn't as good as the HK but it's quite a bit better than the base radio.

Old 04-03-2008, 01:52 PM
bobhume
1st Gear
I would agree with MotorMouth, my wife has an '07 MCC Sidewalk and just bought an '08 S Clubman with the premium package (which, as you know, includes the HiFi upgrade). My wife can "hear" me from inside the house when I pull into the garage in her car, but not in mine. The HK just sounds better, there is no other way to put it. They both sound better than the base I had in my '05 MC, though.

Old 04-04-2008, 09:57 PM
MiniFTW
2nd Gear
It's odd but with my HiFi system, my wife said she can hear the bass from it in our apartment. Our apartment is on the 3rd floor and I was parked about 45 ft. away from the building.

I haven't heard the HK system however to compare but coming from my last vehicle where I had JL seperates running off of Xtant amps and an Apline head unit... I'm still really impressed with the HiFi overall.

It has to be said though(as it has by others before) that it handles some music better than others. It blows my wife's Maxima's system away though and we added an Alpine head unit to hers.

YMMV!

Last edited by MiniFTW; 04-04-2008 at 10:00 PM.
Old 04-04-2008, 11:07 PM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MiniFTW

It has to be said though(as it has by others before) that it handles some music better than others. It blows my wife's Maxima's system away though and we added an Alpine head unit to hers.

YMMV!
change your front speakers only and you will notice a big improvement. Simple and not too expensive.

Old 04-05-2008, 08:04 AM
MiniFTW
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by MotorMouth
change your front speakers only and you will notice a big improvement. Simple and not too expensive.
Yeah I was thinking about that. I wanted to skip the aftermarket this time around (hence the HiFi) but I did end up snagging a mono amp and 8W3 sub to put in the boot.

Gonna try filling out the low end and see how it goes...I have been shopping the front speaker replacement $$ just in case I end up getting aftermarket stereo fever again. Focals/JL seperates sure are tempting!

Old 01-27-2013, 01:36 PM
theSamuel
1st Gear
I have the 2009 MCS Hardtop with the HIFI Premium 10-Speaker System (Non-H/K). I've read that my amplifier only has 230 watts, while the 2010-2013 H/K amplifier has 480 watts. Can I buy the H/K amplifier online and swap it out for my non-H/K amp? I'm trying to drive some Infinity Reference (2 ohm) speakers I bought to replace the 6 front speakers (tweeters, mids, and woofers) and they are a bit power hungry.

Old 01-28-2013, 11:03 AM
christomapher
4th Gear
I think the reason why it's called HiFi instead of Harman Kardon in the earlier R56 MINIs is because H/K will not endorse and brand a stereo until they can fully test it, tweak it, adjust the output and components to get the optimal sound for the particular vehicle. It takes time for sound engineers to perfect the sound and balance to create a perfect (within the limits of packaging and value) sound stage.

My 2010 Camden S had the HK while my ex's 2007 S had the HiFi. The difference is stark, coming from an audiophile.

However, what you need to decide is whether you want to keep it stock or not. If you plan on keeping it stock, then go with a H/K-equipped MINI. If you want to switch it up and get even better sound, then buy whatever MINI you want. If you plan on upgrading your stereo, you should definitely check out Integral Audio's MINI-specific aftermarket options. They all sound awesome and get rave reviews... best of all, they are easy to remove and switch back to your original equipment.