R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Difficult decision

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2007, 09:55 PM
narkose
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Difficult decision

I am new to the forum and eager to hear all your ideas on this problem...

I am starting to look for another car(thinking of replacing 99 Passat Tip - facing $2k in repairs in the next 6 months).

I am considering the VW GTi(MkV) and of course the MINI Cooper S(6sp). I would like to hear all insights from people who tested/owned both of these cars.

I am not going to inject my own test drive opinions quite yet as I want unadulterated opinions.

Thanks
Andrew

Old 08-17-2007, 10:14 PM
andyde
5th Gear
I test drove the new GTI and liked the DSG transmittion and power band. I did not like the choppy ride and was not sold on the sheet metal.

I am not sure what you are asking for specifically, ride, acceleration, reliability, etc... but the looks and ride of the MCS really grabed me. I also remember that the sport seats on the MCS, in my opinion; are more comfortable than the GTI.

Try being a little more specific.....

Old 08-17-2007, 10:15 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I test drove the MCS and on the way home test drove the VW GTi. After driving the MINI, I was bored with the GTi. It handled fine, but it wasn't much fun. It also made me feel like I should be wearing a suit and carrying a briefcase. I'll take the Levis and running shoes MINI, thanks.

I also test drove an Acura RSX and a Honda S2000. I went with the MINI because it suits the twisty country roads where I live and is a lot of fun.

Old 08-18-2007, 01:09 AM
Dubaian
4th Gear
i tested both cars.. the GTI is pretty nice loved it.. but MINI was always the first option on the list ..the interior looks better for me even the ride..and you know it handles good on twisty roads!

Old 08-18-2007, 04:37 AM
narkose
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by andyde
Try being a little more specific.....
I'm am looking for the thoughts that you have a number of things:
1. Ride quality
2. Everyday Handling( incl. highway driving - half of my commute)
3. Practical Usability( coupe vs coupe obviously)
4. DD practicality

This will be my commuter car & our other is a Sienna so the fact that it has less seating space is not necessarily relevant

Thanks so far

Old 08-18-2007, 04:55 AM
Crashton
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You won't get either of those for $2,000. Fixing your Passat is the cheapest option.

You want a new car though, don't blame you. The GTI seems like a nice car to me. If the 4 door had been available when I bought my MINI that would've done it for me. One thing about the GTI is it seems to lack any personality.

The MINI is a way fun car that has loads of personality. Everywhere you go you will be noticed. Guess you'll have to drive both & then flip a coin. Either way you'll get a nice car.

Old 08-18-2007, 05:34 AM
Arnbut
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
VW: 2+2=4 (yawn)
Mini Cooper: 2+2=11

You either understand the math or are a person who is happy with elevator music, plain cheese pizza, and (shudder with revulsion) Budweiser.

Life is too short to drive the mundane.

Old 08-18-2007, 07:51 AM
andyde
5th Gear
Originally Posted by narkose
1. Ride quality
4. DD practicality

This will be my commuter car & our other is a Sienna so the fact that it has less seating space is not necessarily relevant

Thanks so far
1. I definetely give this one to the Mini. To me, the GTI seemed very harsh over uneven roads and even on the highway; the Coop was much better.
2. Both cars handle fairly well, again it depends as to what really makes you feel comfortable in the cockpit. For some reason, I felt at home very quickly in the coop despite its smaller dimmensions. I found myself a little bored behind the wheels with its interior and thinking that during a long commute; I would be staring at it for long periods of time. All in all, I am a little bised but I still think the Mini handles beuatifully and gives you a more complient ride.
3.Practicality, hmmm... coupe to coupe. I don't recall how difficult it was to get into the back seat of the GTI. I don't have cargo or interior dimmensions so it may be worth looking these up. I do love how easy it is to fold down the seats in the Mini.
4. DD practicality- since I am by myself 90% of the time during the week. it is perfectly fine for me. I am sure the GTI would be fine as well but the bottom line is:

As most have already said here, I wanted something that had 'personality' as much on the inside as it had on the outside. I had a 1.8T Passat back in 1998 it was a nice car; it was really my first German vehicle. The Mini is totally different to anything else out there; and I was ready for that.

Drive them back to back, I think you have done it already, and go through the interior. Fold down seats, clinb in the back seat, fold down the seats from the back, etc...etc...

Sorry for the long reply.... and good luck with your decision.

Old 08-18-2007, 07:55 AM
demapples
2nd Gear
1. Ride quality
4. DD practicality

Thanks so far
Welcome to NAM.

I test drove both the MCS and the GTI. I ended up ordering the MCS.

The ride quality in both cars is good. The suspension and steering in the GTI seemed more vague to me and not as engaging as the MCS. The Min's handling to me was superior. The Mini's automatic transmission is good but the DSG in the GTI is better.

For everyday handling both cars will perform very well. I am replacing a Mercury Mountaineer with my soon to be delivered MCSa. For everyday driving the Mountaineer was fine. Let's face it, everyday driving is not that challenging. For everyday use, I would suggest you determine which car's ergonomics suit you better. I felt more at home behind the wheel on the MCS

Practicality: The MCS will provide better fuel economy and will fit is smaller parking spaces. The GTI will handle people and cargo better since it has significantly more space. You mentioned that space is not an issue for you so the MCS would seem to be more practical.

I think either car will be fine as a daily driver. My MCS will be used about 60 miles per days taking me to and from work.

What made me decide to buy the MCS was the way the I felt while driving it. The GTI felt more like many cars that I have driven. The MCS is unique. It was just more fun to be behind the wheel on the Mini. In addition the Mini, with its many options, could be tailored to meet my individual expectations. The GTI's sheet metal is not that appealing to me while I like the look of the Mini.

So, after driving both the MCS was the clear choice for me. I am sure that when you drive both you will know which car suits you best.

Old 08-18-2007, 08:06 AM
narkose
2nd Gear
Thanks for all the replies...

I have driven both, but unfortunately on significantly differing road conditions - dealerships are not close together.

I think I will need to look at them again and drive both again(aw, shucks!! )

The cost of the repairs are obviously less than the cost of a new car but the fact the the tradein is barely more than the cost of the repairs makes me wonder as to the wisdom of fixing the VW.

Thanks again

Old 08-18-2007, 09:54 AM
Loui
4th Gear
In theory you should get a better trade from the VW dealer. The GTI is a fine car and the quality of interior is excellent. That said, the MINI will be worth a lot more in four years time. I got almost 70% of original price on my R53 -03 when I traded it in on my R56 MCS in April. Space is a no brainer this goes to the VW. The MINI is a better handling car, but in some areas of the country there is a waiting period from a few weeks to several months.

Old 08-18-2007, 10:45 AM
MINIMM
4th Gear
Thanks for all the replies...

I have driven both, but unfortunately on significantly differing road conditions - dealerships are not close together.

I think I will need to look at them again and drive both again(aw, shucks!! )

The cost of the repairs are obviously less than the cost of a new car but the fact the the tradein is barely more than the cost of the repairs makes me wonder as to the wisdom of fixing the VW.

Thanks again

Fixing it would not be smart unless that is all one could afford.

Old 08-18-2007, 02:54 PM
rstalter77
1st Gear
I've owned them both. My wife and I traded her 1.8T Jetta and my R53 in for 2 MKV GTIs. She bought one of the first MKVs(06 candy white DSG, 18"s) in the DC area. It is the best GTI since the 86 MKI but I think my VR6 corrado was better. The DSG makes the car feel so much more sophisticated than it is but it gets very boring after about a month. My wife just leaves it in D 90% now and so did I. We have always had VWs before and I was so impressed w/ the improvements VW made in the MKV that I decided to buy one too this time in 6Spd (07 black magic,18"s). The day I bought the car I wanted to return it. From a driving dynamic I thought the car would be so much better but I was disappointed in it, i felt guilty like I sold the R53 short. The MINI had such character to it that I just can't explain it. After about 2 months of seeing how diappointed I was my wife took me to the MINI Dealership and told me to go order my R56. Long story short got my AB/AB R56 S in April and I haven't looked back since. I some times drive my wife's GTI to remind me what i was missing but I still haven't found it. If you lOVE to drive buy the MINI period! All of those other things like ride quality, space issuses and DD won't even matter any more the first time you take a 90 degree turn at 50 MPH. Good luck w/ you choice and be happy w/ It! P.S. My 07 GTI lost $ 5,000 in 4 months My 05 R53 lost $ 3,000 in 2 years. LOL Check out my Gallery!

Last edited by rstalter77; 08-18-2007 at 03:08 PM. Reason: mistake
Old 08-18-2007, 04:33 PM
Aonach
3rd Gear
I hope you have posted a similar post in a GTI forum, otherwise you are going to get the MINI side here! Statistics: it's all about sampling!

Old 08-18-2007, 04:42 PM
moots
1st Gear
There is a new volvo coming out this month c30 that deserves a look.

Old 08-19-2007, 09:09 PM
narkose
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by moots
You are absolutely right that the C30 is due out - looks interesting and fun. I am not sure what Car and Driver thought of it though - mixed bag.

I agree - worth the look and I am not in that much of a hurry.

Old 08-20-2007, 12:38 PM
Spectral Glider
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by moots
It does look cool and they have a great website set up for it. The Volvo front ends I'm iffy on though. Sometimes I like it, and then other times I look at it and it turns me off. I test drove an S40 last year and thought it was pure vanilla. Hopefully the C30 handles different.

Old 08-20-2007, 12:44 PM
Arnbut
5th Gear
The S40 is a Mazda/Ford/Volvo; I traded a one year old Mazda 3 for the Mini because of the horrible lack of character.
Yawn.

What's the story on the C30?

Old 08-20-2007, 02:18 PM
Sig112
Neutral
Took a look at the C30's website and the fueleconomy.gov to see the MPG and 19-28 does not look very promising. Other than that it looks pretty good, not as good as a MINI though.

Old 08-20-2007, 02:35 PM
MD-IN-UK
3rd Gear
Whats next? Will we be looking at SMART cars too!? Jeez.

If your reading these opinions on NAM, you gotta be a MINI NUT, no question.

If you want real owner feedback, check out the GTI forums.

I agree, the GTI is a nice car in many ways. Thought about buying one myself once. Now I'm so glad I didn't.

Proud owner of an 05 MCS Jet Black.