R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Best way to prevent dings on your r56

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 03:31 PM
Dubaian
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best way to prevent dings on your r56

Hi,

i need some help here.. need your advise.. i live in a appartment complex where our parking lot is really tight.. my mini is just 1 month old.. and already have 3 scratches on it.. your advise please how can i prevent my car from those dings?

does the cover help.. and what do you recommend.. am sick of those people!

Old 07-31-2007, 03:34 PM
tigwantstoplay
6th Gear
Does your complex have assigned parking? If so, are you allowed to "buy" a second spot next to your current spot? If it were available, in your shoes, I'd do it....just to protect my MINI.

Old 07-31-2007, 03:35 PM
rattmobbins
6th Gear
I'd park on the street where people could only park in front and in back of me instead of next to me. You may have to walk a little farther to your place, but it beats having a MINI that looks like it has hail damage.

Old 07-31-2007, 03:48 PM
Dubaian
4th Gear
Originally Posted by tigwantstoplay
Does your complex have assigned parking? If so, are you allowed to "buy" a second spot next to your current spot? If it were available, in your shoes, I'd do it....just to protect my MINI.
i tried that.. they told me the parking spot is not free.. :impatient

Old 07-31-2007, 03:58 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Get two 4x8' sheets of plywood. Hammer nails from one side of the plywood so you create a bed of nails. On the opposite side from the nail points cover the surface with foam. Put the foam side against your MINI when it is parked. One board on each side, and you are all set.

Old 07-31-2007, 04:21 PM
mufflethis
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Robin Casady
Get two 4x8' sheets of plywood. Hammer nails from one side of the plywood so you create a bed of nails. On the opposite side from the nail points cover the surface with foam. Put the foam side against your MINI when it is parked. One board on each side, and you are all set.
Robin you are a genius!

Old 07-31-2007, 05:17 PM
liafia
3rd Gear
Robin, You are bad!

Old 07-31-2007, 06:02 PM
SimpsonGI
Coordinator :: Emerald MINI Car Club
Originally Posted by Dubaian
Hi,

i need some help here.. need your advise.. i live in a appartment complex where our parking lot is really tight.. my mini is just 1 month old.. and already have 3 scratches on it.. your advise please how can i prevent my car from those dings?

does the cover help.. and what do you recommend.. am sick of those people!
One thing that has helped my wife's R53 is Venture Shield. When we had the clear bra installed on it, we had them put the material on the doors. She parks her R53 in a mall parking lot. It does help with small dings or scratches from people opening their doors into the side of her MCSa.

I plan on having the product installed on the doors of my R56 when I get the clear bra installed ASAP after taking delivery.

Old 07-31-2007, 06:04 PM
SimpsonGI
Coordinator :: Emerald MINI Car Club
Originally Posted by Robin Casady
Originally Posted by mufflethis
Robin you are a genius!
Ya, but then you need to figure out a way to mount it to your Mini so they can't turn it around the other way and make hundreds of little dings in your Mini.

Old 07-31-2007, 06:16 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by SimpsonGI
Ya, but then you need to figure out a way to mount it to your Mini so they can't turn it around the other way and make hundreds of little dings in your Mini.
A few chains and whips, I mean locks, and you should be fine.

For a minute I forgot and thought this was Tig's "I can't believe it..." thread.

Old 07-31-2007, 06:26 PM
old81
M6
Dings suck.

If you have no choice, big orange pylons to mark your space on all 4 corners, then go down to the marine store and get some boat dock bumpers. The have them in various lengths. Make up a couple you can toss over the MINI after you park for the night. You might have to put a securing system in place to keep them from being stolen (not sure of your hood), but someone might want them for their own space

Can you move your assigned parking to another that might be blocked on one side or the other?

Tis a shame people do not have respect for other peoples cars. It happens that way all over.

Good luck, are these new after the other two you wanted to get pulled out with PDR (Paintless Dent Removal). I think that was you in another post.

Old 07-31-2007, 06:30 PM
gokartride
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I like apartment living and, so, have dealt with the related parking issues for many, many years. First rule...find the end/safe parking spots in the lot and stalk them day and night to make them yours. Rule two...try to get to know your parking neighbors. Say "hi" to them...most of them won't want dings either. If you are careful with their cars maybe they'll return the favor. Rule three...alway park within a group of cars whose drivers you know from following rule two.

There are other rules I go by but they get really complex...it's a bit of a ches game. Try these three first.

Old 07-31-2007, 06:49 PM
CUTiger3
3rd Gear
Don't know about SoCal, but many apt. complexes here in the south offer garages. Might want to check out your area and see if it's an option.

Old 07-31-2007, 09:57 PM
Need
4th Gear
I think cover will help. If you have to park so close to other cars, car door dings cannot be avoided. The only thing you could do is minimize the damage. Is your parking spot assigned? Can you find a spot at the end, even if it is a visitor parking spot? If you park at the end, you can park more away from the next car and hope that he/she won't open the door too far. I know that at my work, all the end spots are always taken first for the same reason.

Old 08-01-2007, 05:42 AM
Mini S Pilot
5th Gear
A set of Nerf Bars like many local trucks around my area have. I've joked my DH that I'm considering it when mine finally makes it here. I may look a little funny at first, but I bet the idea catches on.

Problem is that many cars and trucks are still higher than where the bars would sit on my car. Not sure how much protection this would really be.

Okay, just kidding about the Nerf Bars. It sure would be a different mod look for the Mini though.

Old 08-01-2007, 07:03 AM
djam43
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You could purchase a set of magnetic door guard strips that you apply temporary when you park the car. They are available on the internet. Do a search on Google for them. Im afraid that a car cover wouldnt be any use in your circumstance.

Old 08-01-2007, 07:09 AM
gte123v
1st Gear
simple solution (not neccessarily cheap): Move.

Old 08-01-2007, 07:25 AM
Loony2N
6th Gear
When I can, I try to pick a spot next to a car that is well taken care of and is parked carefully in its space. I also try to park next to a car that is frequently parked in the same spot. Both are much more likely to be careful. Although I see it all the time, parking in a spot with no car on either side is something I try to avoid. You never know who may come and go.

Old 08-01-2007, 10:16 AM
Tiga901
1st Gear
Skuzzy should chime in on these...if he was in your place and this is Romy what would he do???? The Skuzz is full of wisdom that we all can use.

Old 08-01-2007, 11:07 AM
Loony2N
6th Gear
Skuzzy would say "take it inside with you or hire a guard."

Old 08-01-2007, 11:16 AM
Skuzzy
OVERDRIVE
Wisdom is probably not the right word Tiga. Insanity may be a tad bit closer.

The things I do to protect Romi in parking lots is not really practical for most people.

Old 08-01-2007, 11:19 AM
Loony2N
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Skuzzy
Wisdom is probably not the right word Tiga. Insanity may be a tad bit closer.

The things I do to protect Romi in parking lots is not really practical for most people.
Yeah. Outside of Texas they frown on hiring mercenaries with howitzers.

Old 08-01-2007, 11:58 AM
Skuzzy
OVERDRIVE
I think the Vulcan cannon is more than adequate for parking lot situations. The howitzer is more of a fixed installation weapon better suited to placement on top of the apartment buildingand using radar guidance for ranging.

Old 08-01-2007, 12:07 PM
Need
4th Gear
Door Dings Protection Car Cover! The first one on the list:

http://www.customcovers.com/SubCategories.aspx?cid=1

Old 08-01-2007, 12:16 PM
T-Horn67
2nd Gear
Why do I think Skuzzy's not kidding??

Quick Reply: R56 Best way to prevent dings on your r56