R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 essential options for the R56

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2007, 07:09 PM
diabolik!
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
essential options for the R56

So, i think I've decided to sell my R53 and get an R56. The first time around I kept the car pretty basic (no packages, just added a few options like heated seats, MFSW, and auto wipers), but I think I'm going to add a few more options when I order the R56. I want to ask some current R56 owners which packages/options they feel are worth getting (like the MFSW), and which ones they think aren't necessary (like the rain sensing wipers).

so far I'm looking at:
sport, premium, and cold weather packages
white turn signals
piano black interior
anthracite headliner
hi fi sound system
driving lamps
trunk protection
and I was considering the checkerboard dash, door handles, mirror caps, and rearview mirror shell (black exterior, black roof)

now I don't really NEED half this stuff, but I'd hate to regret not adding it later...

thanks in advance!

Old 07-01-2007, 07:16 PM
freeland
4th Gear
Looks like a pretty good package unless you plan on driving in anger at times, then I'd add the sport suspension and LSD.

Also, what about the seats? I stuck with the leatherette, but your options look like someone who would also upgrade the upholstery.

Good luck with your selection.

Old 07-01-2007, 07:19 PM
rattmobbins
6th Gear
I think everything you've got listed seems really good. The HiFi sound system is WAY better than the regular 6 speaker system, so good choice there.

You didn't mention seats, so you may want to consider the checkered cloth seats instead of "leatherette", a.k.a. vinyl. The leatherette looks nice, but the cloth is WAY more comfortable IMO.

Enjoy your car, and I hope the wait is short and sweet!

Old 07-01-2007, 07:21 PM
diabolik!
3rd Gear
i have leatherette in my current mini, and while I like it, its starting to crack a little bit. I can't really justify paying 2 grand for leather, so I was thinking about getting the cloth. Part of me thinks it would be a bad idea to get the cloth instead of leatherette, when they're the same price, but I want to get my interior as close to all black as possible and I think the grey leatherette might screw that up. Anyone out there happy with the cloth seats for the MCS?

Old 07-01-2007, 07:23 PM
Mgibrace
4th Gear
LSD and Xenons might be useful. (Unless Xenons are included in the Sport.)

Old 07-01-2007, 07:48 PM
daveag98
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
what about conv package?

I agree on the cloth seats. Also much easier to care for and no worries about cracking.

Do a forum search for piano black, its plastic and I have heard people say it scratches easy.

Happy ordering and then waiting.

Last edited by daveag98; 07-01-2007 at 07:52 PM.
Old 07-01-2007, 08:23 PM
amazonracer
4th Gear
Sirius radio.

Old 07-01-2007, 08:25 PM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I LIKE the rain sensing wipers! They seem to be right on the money for wiper needs, and it's not an expensive option...

Old 07-01-2007, 08:30 PM
diabolik!
3rd Gear
really? i have the rain sensing wipers on my R53, and it seems like they don't kick in until long after I have no visibility...I always end up switching them on manually. maybe they improved them, or maybe I have just been using them wrong all these years?

Old 07-01-2007, 08:32 PM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Hmmm. I dunno, but they work better than big brother 530i's, which is a 2001.

Old 07-01-2007, 09:38 PM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts
If the exterior is all black I'd really consider a contrasting interior seating color. With that you get matching door/foor panels and the panels on the sides in back. How 'bout LL red leather? The anthracite headliner is a must. Piano black is classy, but it does scratch (nobody comments on it but me). HiFi is a must. I'd get the cheapo wheels, wear out the tires and go with some 17" black wheels and regular tires then. BTW the rain sensing wipers are pretty sensitive (not that I need them much in AZ).

Old 07-02-2007, 06:38 AM
inomis
4th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Cloth seats feel fine to me.

Essentials are LSD, cruise control via MFSW and interior and exterior cosmetic/comfort options like you want for the price. Don't get Hi Fi unless you hear it first. You can easily add suspension upgrades like wheels, tires, springs and shocks later though you will end up paying for them twice.

Any accessory that you don't get credit for like the Checkerboard parts, driving lamps etc. are the least essential since you can add them later for the same cost.

Old 07-02-2007, 07:43 AM
mikeo
3rd Gear
Do cloth seats, you won't be sorry.

In regards to the convienence of rain sensing wipers, if you live in a state where rock chipped windshields are common and have to ever replace a windshield you will pay a hefty premium for a rain-sensing capable one (ouch!).

Old 07-02-2007, 07:50 AM
07chilired
5th Gear
I have the carbon lounge leather seats in mine....they are NICE!!!! Everyone that sits loves them and I get comments all the time about how much more comfortable they are than the seats in the older MINI's. However, the cloth seats are nice too...my dad has them in his 07 MINI and he loves them.

Old 07-02-2007, 07:56 AM
Crusoe
4th Gear
Originally Posted by daffodildeb
I LIKE the rain sensing wipers! They seem to be right on the money for wiper needs, and it's not an expensive option...
x2 for the auto wipers- mine work flawlessly and I live in Seattle. I do have to turn them off and back on (reboot) if it starts raining but after that they are very precise.

x2 for cloth seats.

Old 07-02-2007, 08:22 AM
GNALUZU
1st Gear
The mirror cap cover won't fit if you have the universal garage door opener. Also, the door handle options won't work if you have comfort access.

Found this out the hard way. We ordered the union jack on the roof, mirrors, door handles and rear view mirror backing. They were only able to install the roof and mirror caps because we have the UGO and comfort package (didn't remember that was included in the convenience pack).

Old 07-02-2007, 09:08 AM
gokartride
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Lookin' good there, diabolik!! I skipped packages because, even though something I wanted was in each, each also has stuff I specifically did not want!! In the end I went al-la-carte, but I did bump the spec on my R56 up a few notches over my '03 R50.

I got DSC...I don't think it's essential, but I find I (or rather my MINI) uses the hill assist feature all the time. It is very nice!!

I got a MFSW because I was going the English Oak route...I'd probably have skipped it otherwise except controlling stereo funcions on the wheel is nice as it helps avoid messing with the more complex (and more functional) center stack stereo controls.

I did not want a sunroof...I did want 15s, I did want sport seats, and did not need cold weather anything...those were the items that guided me away from packages.

The only essential thing is that you are happy w/ your MINI!!!

Last edited by gokartride; 07-02-2007 at 09:19 AM.
Old 07-02-2007, 09:16 AM
dwjj
6th Gear
There aren't any. All the gizmos are fun, but nothing is "essential".

For me, high on the desires list was LSD, Sport (to get Xenon), MFSW. All three are EXPENSIVE to add later, and about the only things I really wanted.

I had thought sport suspension,leather,anthracite would be nice, ended up not having them, and not missing them. I can easily upgrade suspension later. The cloth sport seats are great. Having the extra $$$ in my pocket is even better!

(premium, cold weather, sunroof were undesireable to me)

It's whatever you like, though. Like heated seats in LA!

Old 07-02-2007, 09:32 AM
SimpsonGI
Coordinator :: Emerald MINI Car Club
Originally Posted by dwjj
There aren't any. All the gizmos are fun, but nothing is "essential".
Tis my thoughts exactly, it is based on what you want to add and what you can afford but any Mini is a great Mini!

Old 07-02-2007, 09:44 AM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
Originally Posted by daffodildeb
Originally Posted by diabolik!
really? i have the rain sensing wipers on my R53, and it seems like they don't kick in until long after I have no visibility...I always end up switching them on manually. maybe they improved them, or maybe I have just been using them wrong all these years?

I love the rainsensors too. In Hawaii there is often intermittent rain - like 10 different times in a 20 mile drive. Lots of times you are in full sunlight getting rained on! It can be a small hassle constantly having to turm the wipers on and off.

The new sensors are much more aggressive than they used to be. Sometimes more aggressive than I'd like. It doesn't take much water on the windshield to get them going.

Old 07-02-2007, 09:47 AM
Glee
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by GNALUZU
The mirror cap cover won't fit if you have the universal garage door opener.
Really? Ugh ~ was looking forward to that option.

Old 07-02-2007, 10:04 AM
djam43
6th Gear
Definitely go for the Hi Fi, white turn signals, and DSC. If you are handy, spots can be installed by yourself, save a lot of $$$. For me I got the punch Black leather, looks good and is comfortable. (a no no if you have a dog)

Old 07-02-2007, 08:44 PM
diabolik!
3rd Gear
hey everyone, thanks for all of the input. I think I'm going to scrap the Sport package, and just add the DSC on its own (still on the fence about the Xenons...seem expensive to repair, but the do look cool; don't really care for the 17 inch wheels either). I think you guys convinced me to add the LSD, and I'm really open minded about the cloth seats too. I'll probably decide on that when I see them in person.

has anyone tried to do black bonnet stripes with astro black paint? I think it would look cool to just have the white outline of the black stripes, but am worried about the metallic paint clashing with the plain black stripes...

Old 07-02-2007, 11:17 PM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
I'm sure you can just get after market striping.

Old 07-03-2007, 12:36 PM
JohnBLZ
5th Gear
Originally Posted by diabolik!
i have leatherette in my current mini, and while I like it, its starting to crack a little bit. I can't really justify paying 2 grand for leather, so I was thinking about getting the cloth. Part of me thinks it would be a bad idea to get the cloth instead of leatherette, when they're the same price, but I want to get my interior as close to all black as possible and I think the grey leatherette might screw that up. Anyone out there happy with the cloth seats for the MCS?

I have the checkered cloth seats and absolutely love them. Would highly recommend it!

Quick Reply: R56 essential options for the R56