R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Performance Muffler

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2016, 07:25 PM
Minifan85
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Performance Muffler

I have a 2011 clubman S. I want to install a muffler that gives the car a deep throaty sound. I love the sound of the Fiat Abarth, so I need a muffler that will deliver something close to that. I don't want to change out the whole exhaust system, just the muffler. Do you all have any suggestions on what kind of muffler I should get? Thanks!

Old 01-29-2016, 09:46 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Do a Google search for available mufflers and how they sound. Something like flow master or vibrant performance. I'm not sure what muffler will be able to give you that Fiat sound that you want. Otherwise, if you decide to go with a cat back, check out REMUS here. Overall quality is top notch and the sound is great. More than a few members have installed REMUS on their MINI's. Posted a few threads below for you. Let me know if you have any questions.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-s-review.html
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...xhaust-v2.html

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 01-29-2016, 02:48 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,966 Likes on 1,766 Posts
Originally Posted by Minifan85
I have a 2011 clubman S. I want to install a muffler that gives the car a deep throaty sound. I love the sound of the Fiat Abarth, so I need a muffler that will deliver something close to that. I don't want to change out the whole exhaust system, just the muffler. Do you all have any suggestions on what kind of muffler I should get? Thanks!
Milltek, non res = Nice We carry it, click the link.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...er-delete.html

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 02-24-2016, 09:03 AM
rckrzy1
6th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Minifan85
Ok , first you do realize that a clubman S has 2 mufflers ? Are you still running stock downpipe and cat along with 2nd cat and resonator ? If so the cheapest route would be to remove the mufflers and run straight pipes.

I kid you not, the stock cats and resonator do enough quieting.

Old 02-24-2016, 06:15 PM
09OBMC
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I used 2 1/2" Pypes M80 Mufflers and removed the secondary cat. Mine is very tame and sounds great. Once my warranty is up next year I plan to do a catless DP and a tune.

Old 02-28-2016, 07:49 PM
Mikli
2nd Gear
Fiat Abarth sound pretty loud for oem parts. No mufflers will give you that sound, maybe Fi or muffler pass-by.

Old 02-29-2016, 04:36 PM
Big Jim Swade
4th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
You might try just removing the center resonator and replace it with a straight pipe in that section. You'll keep the 2 rear mufflers and it might give you the sound you are looking for and it won't cost much.

Old 02-29-2016, 09:04 PM
hidperf
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just put the Magnaflow cat-back system on mine and was surprised how mellow it sounds.

I still have the stock DP and secondary cat though, but that will change very soon.

Old 03-02-2016, 06:33 AM
HiDezClubby
1st Gear
My Magnaflow cat back was the first mod I put on my 2014 Clubman S. I had some difficulty with the pipe resting on the stock chassis brace, so I had a local muffler shop do a resonator delete, and clear the brace. Now there is no more rattle, and I have a great sound with no howl.

Next is a Manic tune and a Catless Dp. Mariokart says my sound wont change, but will get louder. Can't wait.

Old 03-02-2016, 07:30 AM
hidperf
3rd Gear
I have the same problem, although it's not rattling as of now. I believe the cut should've been made at least a 1/2" closer to the secondary cat and it would have shifted the exhaust forward, missing the chassis brace and fitting in the heat shields better where it Y's off in the back.

I'll be fixing this myself. Since the pipe in front of the Magnaflow resonator is 2.25", but the resonator and rest of the system is a 2.5" core with 2.5" pipe, I'm cutting the inlet and welding a 2.5" pipe to the resonator and putting a band-clamp on the other end. Then I'll modify the stock secondary cat with a matching band-clamp so I can swap everything back easily for inspections.

I'm also going to make my own secondary cat delete pipe that will connect my catless downpipe to the Magnaflow system.

Originally Posted by HiDezClubby
My Magnaflow cat back was the first mod I put on my 2014 Clubman S. I had some difficulty with the pipe resting on the stock chassis brace, so I had a local muffler shop do a resonator delete, and clear the brace. Now there is no more rattle, and I have a great sound with no howl.

Next is a Manic tune and a Catless Dp. Mariokart says my sound wont change, but will get louder. Can't wait.

Old 03-04-2016, 04:46 AM
09OBMC
2nd Gear
You should't have to modify a $1,000 exhaust system. I have less than $300 in my whole custom exhaust and it sounds as good or better than a Magnaflow. Store bought exhausts for this car are so stupidly over priced it's ridiculous.

Old 03-07-2016, 08:32 PM
hidperf
3rd Gear
Sound is objective. If you're happy with your $300 system, more power to you.

The reason the cost is so high is because:
  • The demand is so low
  • Mandrel bent stainless tubing cost more
  • Quality stainless mufflers with a lifetime warranty cost more
I would have much rather built my entire system myself but, after adding up all of the materials to replicate the Magnaflow, the cost savings wasn't worth it.

I AM building my secondary cat replacement pipe though, since nobody makes one.

Originally Posted by 09OBMC
You should't have to modify a $1,000 exhaust system. I have less than $300 in my whole custom exhaust and it sounds as good or better than a Magnaflow. Store bought exhausts for this car are so stupidly over priced it's ridiculous.

Old 03-14-2016, 05:18 PM
hulign
1st Gear
I did a Borla setup on our last Clubman but it was too quiet. Can you tell me what you did for tips? Or did you just have the muffler outlet as the tip? Any chance you have a pic?

Thanks

Originally Posted by 09OBMC
I used 2 1/2" Pypes M80 Mufflers and removed the secondary cat. Mine is very tame and sounds great. Once my warranty is up next year I plan to do a catless DP and a tune.

Old 03-19-2016, 03:29 PM
09OBMC
2nd Gear
I will try to get some pics, it's hard to see with it being lowered. I did a pair of Stainless tips from eBay for $40 and 2x Pypes M80 Mufflers for a Mustang. These were the only mufflers I could find that would fit in the space. I also removed the secondary cat and resonator and replaced with a 18" glasspack style resonator. It may not be totally stainless like a Magnaflow, but I don't drive my car in rain or snow. I don't drive the car a lot so I'm not worried about it rusting. The tips and mufflers are stainless and the stock piping left is stainless, so it shouldn't be a problem for many many years.

Old 03-29-2016, 08:57 PM
donniedarko
2nd Gear
Secondary cat remove install Aero can, replace two mufflers with straight pips and add new tips. What Im gonna do.

Buying a new system I think is redundant as the stock systems are as legally as derestricted as possible.