Navigation & Audio Audio upgrades, bluetooth, and navigation discussions surrounding the Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Navigation & Audio iPad Mini install?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2016, 02:23 PM
NSXRebel
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
iPad Mini install?

I've seen one install on here over the speedometer cluster, but honestly, it takes away from the factory look.

Has anyone else installed an iPad mini or other tablet using the Metra dash kit?
I plan on streaming bluetooth audio to the factory radio using the 30-pin dock connector bluetooth adapter that I currently have, and relocating the radio behind the dash to keep the display in the speedometer. Soundman Inc has their float mounts and slider mounts that you can fiberglass into the dash.

Soundman Inc is only about a 45 min drive away for me, but a typical custom install run around $1000. They do great work and give you a factory look, but at those prices, I rather tackle the job myself. The Metra dash kit is around $24 and the iPad mount is $249 from Soundman.

Attached Thumbnails iPad Mini install?-2013-mini-cooper-green-park-interior-dash-and-center-console.jpg   iPad Mini install?-g120999309-f.jpeg   iPad Mini install?-dsc00405.jpg  
Old 01-28-2016, 02:37 PM
cerenkov
6th Gear
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
I installed a dedicated iPhone 6+, but I don't think the Metra kit was available at the time (al least I didn't know about it). I would much rather have a iPad mini with LTE service. I could probably even swap my iPhone for the iPad.

I wonder if Soundman would fab the iPad kit into the Metra mount and just ship it to me. The install is the easy part.

Here what I have, it still needs a lot of work to get the factory look. But it is functional. I use it mostly for Dashcommand and streaming music.

Old 01-28-2016, 02:46 PM
NSXRebel
1st Gear
Originally Posted by cerenkov
I installed a dedicated iPhone 6+, but I don't think the Metra kit was available at the time (al least I didn't know about it). I would much rather have a iPad mini with LTE service. I could probably even swap my iPhone for the iPad.

I wonder if Soundman would fab the iPad kit into the Metra mount and just ship it to me. The install is the easy part.

Here what I have, it still needs a lot of work to get the factory look. But it is functional. I use it mostly for Dashcommand and streaming music.

Oh they will. Here's an dash kit for a Toyota Tacoma ready it's $899. I'm sure a dash kit for the Mini will cost about the same.

http://www.soundmanca.com/products/2...ini-dash-panel

They also have a slider kit for the iPhone 6+

iPhone 6+ Slider Kit

Old 01-28-2016, 02:49 PM
NSXRebel
1st Gear
and if you want to see the many iPad install he's done, check out his Youtube channel.

Another iPad Dashboard? - YouTube
"> Another iPad Dashboard? - YouTube
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350">

Old 01-28-2016, 02:56 PM
cerenkov
6th Gear
Great. I'll have to call and ask.

Old 01-28-2016, 03:03 PM
cerenkov
6th Gear
I don't think a iPad mini will fit in a double DIN. Double DIN is about 180mm x 100mm where the iPad mini is 204mm x 135mm.

Old 01-28-2016, 03:17 PM
NSXRebel
1st Gear
I don't think a iPad mini will fit in a double DIN. Double DIN is about 180mm x 100mm where the iPad mini is 204mm x 135mm.
It won't, that's where Soundman comes in with his magic.
He cuts into factory and aftermarket dash kits to retrofit one of his iPad mounts.
I will have to do the same and use fiberglass/body filler to smooth it out and finish it.

Old 01-29-2016, 03:01 AM
cerenkov
6th Gear
I went ahead and ordered the Metra kit off Amazon for just under $30 shipped. I'm curious to see and feel what the quality is like. Also I what to know how much lower the toggle switches are, etc.

Old 02-01-2016, 05:49 PM
cerenkov
6th Gear
I received the Metra kit today. Really nice quality, matches the OEM perfectly.
Here's a picture with my iPhone 6+, The iPad will not fit without some major cutting. I'll have to make more detailed measurements to see if it is even possible.

I'm going to swap out the bezels by this weekend to see how it looks installed.

Old 02-02-2016, 09:46 PM
NSXRebel
1st Gear
I received the Metra kit today. Really nice quality, matches the OEM perfectly.
Here's a picture with my iPhone 6+, The iPad will not fit without some major cutting. I'll have to make more detailed measurements to see if it is even possible.

I'm going to swap out the bezels by this weekend to see how it looks installed.

Good stuff. I'm definitely hacking up the Metra kit to install an iPad mini whenever I get around to it. I'm currently in Costa Rica vacationing it up.

Old 03-30-2016, 08:13 AM
cerenkov
6th Gear
I finally got around to installing the Metra kit with my iPhone 6+.

Overall the Metra kit is of decent quality. Not nearly as good as the OEM but for $30 what can you expect. I'm thinking of getting it covered in leather to match the knee bolsters or hydro-printed in carbon fiber to match the JCW carbon fiber pieces.

Using contact cement, I covered a piece of 1/16" plexiglass that I happened to have in suede (from Joann's Fabric Store - $8). Then using screws, I fastened this to the back of the large opening using the provided screw post locations.

I bought a black lightning cable from Best Buy ($12) and drilled a small oval hole for the plug. USB side of the cable is plugged into a power outlet that I installed (a while ago) inside in the glove box.

The phone is attached using velcro. Since it almost always remains in the car this is ok with me.

For $50, I'm moderately satisfied. Eventually I'll get the Soundman Kit and have him custom fabricate a more OEM solution. But that will be $800 - $1K. Ouch.