R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Getting new brake pads and rotors, could use some quick advice.

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2013, 12:39 AM
BLAUGRANA
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Getting new brake pads and rotors, could use some quick advice.

Could use some advice. A couple of things:

1 I assume it'll be cheaper if I don't get it done at the dealership, right?

2 Anyone had them done with their dealer recently? Still getting a lot of break dust with new ones?

3 Suggestions on good pads/rotors that don't leave so much dust.

4 Any idea on what I should expect in terms of cost for parts and labor if I dont' go with the dealership?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by BLAUGRANA; 04-15-2013 at 12:56 AM.
Old 04-15-2013, 02:40 AM
phoxx47
2nd Gear
If it were me - I'd run down to Way Motor Works in Atlanta and turn the job over to him. If your near Atlanta I'd recommend Way without hesitation. If you're in another part of the country it is probably in your best interest to seek out an independent shop with a solid reputation with the BMW MINI owners.

Brakes are nothing special on a MINI and experience doing brake jobs is what counts.

Old 04-15-2013, 04:35 AM
fenderless 33
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Why not do it yourself. Brakes are the one of the biggest profit items for service centers. How many miles and what makes you think you need both pads and rotors? You should not need rotors every time you change pads.

Old 04-15-2013, 05:25 AM
yetti96
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Centric rotors (middle grade with painted hats) and EBC RedStuff is what I will put on my car when my maintenance is up.

Old 04-15-2013, 05:37 AM
IzzyG
6th Gear
Cheap and dealership are two words that never go together. Swapping brake pads and rotors are one of the easiest DIY. It'll give you an opportunity to disable that stupid brake wear sensor cable as well. I just did this on my Clubbie and it took about an hour and much of that is so dinking around with jack stands. Furthermore, dealerships won't install parts that you purchased so better options will probably not be available. Independent shops are probably your best bet if you don't have garage space or unable to DIY. I'll second the EBC Red stuff. I went with the JCW slotted/drilled rotors although many will argue there's better options out there(I got them for cheap so can't complain)

Old 04-15-2013, 06:36 AM
Mini///M
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
EBC Redstuff are so money on both my MINIs. The brake system on the MINI is nothing "special", you can take it to any auto shop and they can knock it out. Going to the dealer is a real waste of money. Get yourself a nice set of rotors, sensors (if you need them). I'm guessing you aren't much of a DIYer if you were considering taking it to the dealer. No big deal, but seriously don't take it to the dealer.

Old 04-15-2013, 11:38 AM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 757 Likes on 618 Posts
yes new OEM pads will be just as dusty

I suggest our EBC Redstuff pads they are low dust and great bite.

and for rotors we have our WMW rotors which are super high quality without breaking the bank.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 04-15-2013, 11:00 PM
SoundMessage
3rd Gear
Diy

Is there a good DIY for brakes online, along with a list of tools needed? I have no idea what I'm doing, but would like to learn and have a go at it, assuming I won't kill myself or my MINI in the process.

I don't need brakes at the moment, but wouldn't mind getting the tools and materials together to do it with some of my tax refund money.

Old 04-16-2013, 06:59 AM
IzzyG
6th Gear
Torx bits, rubber mallet(to hit the rotors loose), socket wrenches and possibly thin wrenches(there's a couple spots that require the back nut to be held in place while you loosen the bolt, however it's a tight spot and you'll need either a thin wrench or a skinny clamp(I used skinny vice clamps actually, in a pinch). Nothing fancy otherwise. You could get the turning kit to compress rear brakes but I just used a pair of needle nose pliers. Oh and if you're swapping rotors, I used an impact drill to remove the torx bit. Could never get enough torque to undo it otherwise. Search youtube, there's a ton of videos.

Just a note: After replacing the brake pads and/or rotors, remember to depress the brake pedal a few times with the vehicle off. First few depressions will feel loose while the brake pads reposition.

Old 04-16-2013, 08:04 AM
Clubmaste00
3rd Gear
You might want to search out a local mini club - you do not list where you are. If you give a location there may be a local NAM member willing to help.

I put centric rotors and Greenstuf pads on my 2009 Clubbie S. and have been very happy.

Old 04-16-2013, 09:34 AM
Mini Fan
1st Gear
Originally Posted by IzzyG
I'll second the EBC Red stuff.
Hey IZZYG, how long have you had the EBC Red Stuffs on your car? And you haven't had any noise or excessive dusting issues?
I have plenty of life left on my front pads but the squeal is driving me crazy. Whenever I stop my Mini sounds like a city bus and ppl turn to see what the noise is about (and that's not an exaggeration)! It's actually really embarrassing. I took the existing pads out and there appears to be an excessive amount of metal flake in them that I believe is causing the issue. I don't know if these are OEM pads since I just purchased the car. I am leaning toward Red Stuffs but have read mixed feedback on them.

Originally Posted by IzzyG
I went with the JCW slotted/drilled rotors although many will argue there's better options out there(I got them for cheap so can't complain)
Where did you purchase your rotors? I have always wanted the drilled/slotted rotors as well since I do not intend to track my car and they just look great.

Sorry about the thread jack here!

Old 04-17-2013, 09:26 AM
KdF
2nd Gear
I replaced my fronts at 20K. I used Akebono pads, and they work just fine. No dust either. Problem with the Brake Pad sensor tho...it came apart during the brake job....figures....I had bought front and rear sensors a while back. It went well until I tried to attach the sensor where it disconnects by the firewall. The tabs on the inside (Guides) were opposite of where they should have been. I asked about it to way Motor works, where I got them and they were baffled about it. After not hearing from them I just cut them and tied the two wires together, soldered and shrink wrapped and re-set the warning light. Good as new. Rear ones are next, but those take a special tool to get the caliper to recede.

Old 04-17-2013, 01:15 PM
Smartguy50
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CarboTech Street Pads are great. They tout a low metal content and are supposed to be very easy in the rotors. I have had them on my 10 MCCS for almost twenty thousand miles. They stop much better than the OEM pads and make light grey dust that is nearly invisible on my silver painted OEM Bridge Spoke rims. I also replaced the OEM brake lines with Goodridge Stainless Steel lines. This, in combination with the new pads makes my Clubbie stop as well as it goes. My local shop changed all four corner brake pads and brake lines for $250. I supplied the parts.

Old 04-17-2013, 01:44 PM
dnelson
Neutral
Sorry to thread jack, but a lot of you mentioned liking EBC Red Stuffs. What rotors do you all recommend?

Old 04-18-2013, 10:10 AM
BLAUGRANA
3rd Gear
Hey all. I appreciate the feedback. I'm kicking myself because I was too late thnking about this and the dealership had already started the work. Oh well, lesson learned for future reference. Good to hear about the EBC Redstuffs though because I'd read about them in the meantime and they sound good.

Old 04-18-2013, 08:37 PM
Melangell
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dnelson
Sorry to thread jack, but a lot of you mentioned liking EBC Red Stuffs. What rotors do you all recommend?
I put my trust in Way (and Jason). When it's time, I'm going up to Atlanta and having his Red Brake Package installed.