R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Any common Clubman problems/quirks?

Old 12-15-2011, 11:35 AM
rustyeuro
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Any common Clubman problems/quirks?

i tried searching but it's well known the search function here isn't the greatest.

I've been looking into 08-10 Mini Clubmans to replace my well beaten 03 Cooper. And after finding all of the problems with my first gen after i bought it i'm a little more wary of buying anything else without knowing about well known problems.
So tell me, anything i should know before signing a lease for a used Clubman? (ie. power steering fires, hatch lids don't stay shut in the winter, etc.)

Old 12-16-2011, 08:02 AM
bluefox280
6th Gear
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
On the Clubman specifically, there's been small quirks with the rear barn doors with the electric door release.
But that's covered under a TSB / recall and is replaced typically without cost.

Otherwise the powertrain is the same in the hardtop R56.
Common problems (on the 'S'-model) are failing high pressure fuel pumps [HPFP], and timing chain tensioners [due to low oil operation]...

- Erik

Old 12-16-2011, 08:57 AM
timfitz63
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bluefox280
On the Clubman specifically, there's been small quirks with the rear barn doors with the electric door release.

Common problems (on the 'S'-model) are failing high pressure fuel pumps [HPFP], and timing chain tensioners [due to low oil operation]...
Plus carbon build-up on the turbo models.

Clutches and water pumps also seem spotty on all versions...

Old 12-16-2011, 11:01 AM
jbobp
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

- Erik
What issue and what year models? I think my doors open far too easily.

Old 12-18-2011, 10:34 PM
djdraddy
Banned

- Erik
What and when regarding these TSB/RECALLS? No one called me!

Old 12-19-2011, 05:28 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
There has been no official recall for the barn doors but there has been a TSB put out to do work on the car if it comes in. If my memory serves me correctly it is only to put water sealing tape on the connectors for the door handle wiring as it can get water in there and short out and thus the doors open.

To the OP i have had my 08 Clubman since April 2008 and it now has 86K miles on it and has been to the shop twice once for a HPFP and once for the Timing Chain. Other than that is has had wear items done like oil changes, brakes, tire, and wiper blades. Very good and reliable car (at least mine is)

Old 12-19-2011, 10:33 AM
Mymojomini
2nd Gear
Mine is a 2011 Clubman S. Any know issues with them?

Old 12-19-2011, 11:25 PM
MiniDeLux
3rd Gear
I've got a 2009 Clubman - on my 2nd waterpump and 2nd clutch. The waterpump especially seems to be a common problem. I've collected quite a number of anecdotal cases of premature clutch failure but this seems to be more common on the diesel engine variant (not available in North America AFAIK).

Sunroof rattle is quite common as well.

Old 12-20-2011, 10:23 AM
ggonzale
3rd Gear
Engine rattle on cold weather (below 33F), gone when it warm up

Old 12-21-2011, 03:39 PM
jbrowland
3rd Gear
As they have said, more issues (already mentioned) with the S models but honestly, having spent time on other car boards, I have yet to find a single car out there that doesn't have known issues, even the "reliable" cars. One more to add, apparently, as I have read many times, the brakes on all Mini's don't last very long. All that said, luck and how a car is treated and where and how it is driven daily plays a factor for sure IMHO.

Personally, I have had my Clubman for two years now and have had zero serious issues so far and none of the problems mentioned above. I have found it to be pretty reliable BUT I have only driven it 22K miles so far so maybe I am not the best person to ask. Good luck!

Old 01-01-2012, 01:38 PM
Copywrites
3rd Gear
Wow, no one has mentioned the two that are really prevalent.

1) Window dipper - when the cold weather hits and the windows freeze, you will need to get your dipper reprogrammed if you want your windows to close.

2) Right side suicide door - depending on who you talk to, it is either a cable issue or a lubrication issue, or both.

Old 01-02-2012, 06:53 AM
rexicon
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Copywrites
Wow, no one has mentioned the two that are really prevalent.

1) Window dipper - when the cold weather hits and the windows freeze, you will need to get your dipper reprogrammed if you want your windows to close.

2) Right side suicide door - depending on who you talk to, it is either a cable issue or a lubrication issue, or both.
Ditto on the suicide door. My 08 required judicious application of grease on the latch as a result of being difficult to open.
  • Aluminium door-sills/trim lifted up got mangled when closing door
  • Hood-scoop melted twice

No mechanical problems per-se after 31k of use.

Old 01-02-2012, 10:15 AM
MINIdave
6th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I had a problem with my third door not opening, the little switch at the bottom of the door wasn't coming out all the way, I touched it once and it popped right out and the door worked as normal. It seems to have a boot over it so I didn't try to do anything about lubing it.

Not much tho, for 3 years and 40K miles!

I did have the tensioner replaced at 3K, but haven't had anything go wrong since....

Old 01-10-2012, 10:27 PM
dlucas0224
Neutral
My 08 Hot Chocolate Clubman S (sold last year) had:
Carbon build-up - covered by dealership but was told it typically isn't.
Hood scoop melted - replaced with carbon fiber scoop-covered by dealer
Sun roof had multiple problems - adjusted by dealer many times by dealer
Both windows had issues with auto up - reprogrammed by dealer 3x

I didn't pay for any service in 3 years. I had to sell for financial reasons, but recovered quickly and bought an 09 Clubman S. NO REGRETS! Not sure what kind of quirks this one might have, but will see it through b/c I an a MINI fan!

Old 01-30-2012, 01:44 PM
oldbear
1st Gear
no probs with mine other than having the cat replaced

Old 06-14-2017, 07:07 PM
IDoSeaDoo
2nd Gear
Vacuum pump failure

One potential problem is vacuum pump failure. I just picked up an R55 on the cheap from a friend of a friend because she used the quicky-lube special oil and ran it for God knows how long. Only had 2 quarts in it when I got it. The quality and quantity of the oil caused sludge and chunky buildup. A chunk must have clogged the vac. pump feed hole. It's freakin' tiny. I mean sewing needle tiny. Well, that sucker stopped dead, and sheared off the Exhaust Cam sprocket. Killed the two exhaust valves on Cyl1, tore the chain, broke the guides and chewed up the block a bit. Luckily it happened at a stop light. I rebuilt it and now it runs great. I also noticed really really badly carbonized valves. The valve stem right above the valve face measured over 1cm on a few of the valves. An oil catch can is a must, at least on the PCV hose coming off the passenger side. Also, noticed some bad torque steer and engine movement under acceleration/gear changes. Going to put in a torque strap insert and see if that changes anything. I have the S model and the fuel economy is ****, but I knew that going in

Old 06-15-2017, 07:39 AM
DneprDave
6th Gear
Received 85 Likes on 77 Posts
I have a Clubman S and it gets 30 plus mile per gallon, I think that's good fuel economy.

Old 06-15-2017, 12:06 PM
IDoSeaDoo
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by DneprDave
I have a Clubman S and it gets 30 plus mile per gallon, I think that's good fuel economy.
Wow, that's awesome! That's about what our '12 civic gets, and I think it's **** poor for an econo-box. But as fun as the mini is, I think 30's is great! It's so fast and fun to drive. I feel like the car's MPG should be relative to the driving fun factor. By that metric, the civic should get 50's. My mk6 TDI jetta gets 40's and it's actually really fun to drive. Plus, it tows all the lake toys

Old 06-16-2017, 12:53 PM
Wildfield
1st Gear
Originally Posted by DneprDave
This is my experience too...actually 75% of my weekly driving is highway. I keep a mileage log. Overall average over past 8 months is 34.0 mpg.

I have a 2013 Clubman S.

Old 06-17-2017, 06:35 AM
12 JCW
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
At 102,000+ miles, been through some sub 10degF winters and no problems with doors or windows.

Old 06-19-2017, 09:58 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,964 Likes on 1,764 Posts
2 Clubman issues would be the rear barn door locks and the side door latch. Other than that they are the same as the r56 2007-2010.

1. https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...arn-doors.html

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-pop-open.html

2. https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...es-normal.html

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 06-29-2017, 11:16 AM
58caddy
1st Gear
Has anyone had issues with throttle response coming off idle, especially with the automatics? My 2013 has a bit of a lag as soon as I hit the throttle, several seconds in extreme cases.

Old 06-29-2017, 12:22 PM
Redbob45
Neutral
At over 100K miles on my JCW Clubman, the only problems I've encountered have been common to all JCWs: weak clutch, plastic water pump that needed to be replaced with a metal part, plastic thermostat housing that *should* have been made a metal part, extremely poor design of the oil filter housing adapter, with the resulting oil leaks at the block. All these things are fairly minor (except the clutch) and are the sort of problems a well-designed and -developed automobile should never have in production. As a British car owner since the '60s, it's the sort of thing I lived with then, but there's no excuse for it today.

Old 07-07-2017, 11:03 AM
mdella
Neutral
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
So I have a 2012 JCW R55 clubman with >135k on it. The things I've had go wrong seem to be common (like above).

1. timing chain guide broke around 75k (death rattle) and based on many other notes, should probably be replaced every 75k anyway.
2. Oil consumption starts to go up around 60k. Bother to check it every couple weeks. Lots of associated maintenance issues if your low on oil (turbo, timing chain, etc) or if the oil starts to look like sludge. I'm changing my oil ever 6k. Cheaper than a new turbo :-)
3. water thermostat is not the one you remember in the old V8s. Its not an $8 part, but rather a weird plastic octopus that will require replacement somewhere in the 100k or less range. And it will break a couple of other plastic pipes in its replacement. Just deal with it (same with water pump)
4. Most of the engine will last a long long long time if you pay attention to your oil. #1 maintenance prevention... Oil changes and maintaining levels. Although synthetic oil seems expensive, it is WAY cheaper than any of the above issues cropping up.

...5...brakes and the like... Same problem on any car of this type. Just keep up with checking and maintenance
...6...clutch. I've replaced it once and its starting to look like I'm going to have to replace it again coming up (manual transmission). Probably my fault for using my car to teach my teens how to drive in...

There are other little things that happen, but reasonable maintenance will take care of most of them. This BTW is regardless of clubman or classic as the engine itself is the same on the JCWs.

As far as "clubman only" related issues I've had...

1. Barn doors have lasted a long time, but if you bend one somehow, you'll be dealing with it forever.

Hm, sitting here thinking about it, I really can't think of things that are specific to the clubman that are issues. My GF has a JCW Classic (2013) and has very similar issues as I do. Her turbo went out due to one of the exhaust blades cracking (unusual) but otherwise all her maintenance is just about the same as mine (athough she has an N18 engine and mine is a N14 so I get timing chain issues that she doesn't).

The following 2 users liked this post by mdella:
dkdzyn (07-10-2017), the_dude_abides (07-25-2017)
Old 07-21-2017, 10:37 PM
AV98
1st Gear
Our 2011 Clubman R55 Justa has been pretty reliable, my most common prob is the heart valve like thermostat. Had it replaced when we bought the Car CPO'd and again earlier in the year around 70K, 3+ years later.

Have gone through 2 sets of front brake pads & rotors, along with 1 set of pads & rotors for the rear.

Thank god for the MINI Next warranty, so no out of pocket cost, all under warranty.

Only out of pocket costs were tires, but it's a good reason to run 195/55/15s on the stock rims

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: R55 Any common Clubman problems/quirks?