R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Any common Clubman problems/quirks?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2017, 04:27 PM
the_dude_abides
1st Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mdella
So I have a 2012 JCW R55 clubman with >135k on it. The things I've had go wrong seem to be common (like above).

1. timing chain guide broke around 75k (death rattle) and based on many other notes, should probably be replaced every 75k anyway.
2. Oil consumption starts to go up around 60k. Bother to check it every couple weeks. Lots of associated maintenance issues if your low on oil (turbo, timing chain, etc) or if the oil starts to look like sludge. I'm changing my oil ever 6k. Cheaper than a new turbo :-)
3. water thermostat is not the one you remember in the old V8s. Its not an $8 part, but rather a weird plastic octopus that will require replacement somewhere in the 100k or less range. And it will break a couple of other plastic pipes in its replacement. Just deal with it (same with water pump)
4. Most of the engine will last a long long long time if you pay attention to your oil. #1 maintenance prevention... Oil changes and maintaining levels. Although synthetic oil seems expensive, it is WAY cheaper than any of the above issues cropping up.

...5...brakes and the like... Same problem on any car of this type. Just keep up with checking and maintenance
...6...clutch. I've replaced it once and its starting to look like I'm going to have to replace it again coming up (manual transmission). Probably my fault for using my car to teach my teens how to drive in...

There are other little things that happen, but reasonable maintenance will take care of most of them. This BTW is regardless of clubman or classic as the engine itself is the same on the JCWs.

As far as "clubman only" related issues I've had...

1. Barn doors have lasted a long time, but if you bend one somehow, you'll be dealing with it forever.

Hm, sitting here thinking about it, I really can't think of things that are specific to the clubman that are issues. My GF has a JCW Classic (2013) and has very similar issues as I do. Her turbo went out due to one of the exhaust blades cracking (unusual) but otherwise all her maintenance is just about the same as mine (athough she has an N18 engine and mine is a N14 so I get timing chain issues that she doesn't).
Hey fellow NorCal'er, thanks for all the great info! Knowing you've been up and down 17 as many times as you probably have, it's good to see these cars can be stout.

Old 08-04-2017, 05:29 AM
guspi76
2nd Gear
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
all visors, HPFP and injectors at 70k, thermostat housing split at 55k and hood scoop melted.