R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Mini ... Girly car?!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2011, 08:32 PM
CJ727
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mini ... Girly car?!!!

My 2009 clubman was totaled last week so I began my hunt for a new car today. While I was at a GM dealership (because my mom wanted to check out a terrain for herself), the sales manager tried pitching a car to me and I laughed and told him I drove a mini before so I'd only stray if I found a car better He proceeded to tell me it's because I'm a girl into cute cars HA! He said only girls drive minis.. I looked at him and told him I know plenty of guys who drive them and I didnt buy mine because it was "cute"... I got it because it had more to offer than other cars. Its versatile.. Compact yet roomy .. Great handling.. Great options to really customize it.. And better looking than cars its size! I was offended he called it girly! Wondering how many guys drive these cars and if they get these comments. Never really looked at minis as girly or cute...

Old 02-12-2011, 08:54 PM
Tmini08
5th Gear
I would have to say he has never driven a mini. Sucks to be him. Sorry to hear the news about your clubman.

Old 02-12-2011, 09:04 PM
proximal
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You do realize he was trying to sell you a different car, right?

Old 02-12-2011, 09:13 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by CJ727
My 2009 clubman was totaled last week so I began my hunt for a new car today. While I was at a GM dealership (because my mom wanted to check out a terrain for herself), the sales manager tried pitching a car to me and I laughed and told him I drove a mini before so I'd only stray if I found a car better He proceeded to tell me it's because I'm a girl into cute cars HA! He said only girls drive minis.. I looked at him and told him I know plenty of guys who drive them and I didnt buy mine because it was "cute"... I got it because it had more to offer than other cars. Its versatile.. Compact yet roomy .. Great handling.. Great options to really customize it.. And better looking than cars its size! I was offended he called it girly! Wondering how many guys drive these cars and if they get these comments. Never really looked at minis as girly or cute...
That salesman is a dud.

MINIs rule over any GM cars at under $30K

These are not girly cars-

Hope you find a good replacement for your Clubman and sorry to hear about your loss. Hope you are OK and not injured or at least recovering.

Old 02-12-2011, 10:20 PM
MCSfanboy
4th Gear
Some unscrupulous salespeople will tell you anything to sway you into their deal. This is childish psychology used to persuade you into doubt, so they can jab a meat hook into your brain and put you on the shearing rack.

It sounds like you challenged the notion of what a "girly" car is suppose to be, which is a great way to counter such insults. These kind of statements are just the figment of someone's imagination trying to prove something for their personal benefit --as in this case to sell you a GM product.

Bravo to you for standing up to it and even posting it here for all of us to learn something.

Old 02-12-2011, 10:25 PM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Received 367 Likes on 311 Posts
I look forward to such shows of abject nescience. The MINI is so underestimated by so many people. I offer those types a ride which they often accept expecting their low opinion to be validated. After we get back from a particularly interesting nearby stretch of little used highway, their demeanor is always subdued. In the extreme. Just take those kinds of comments for what they are; requests for more information and show 'em how to straighten out a crooked highway. Hope you can find a suitable standin for you lost clubman. They can't ever really be replaced.

Old 02-12-2011, 10:37 PM
CFRM
2nd Gear
I'm sorry about your clubman, I got a lot of "toy car" comments at the beginning, but when they saw how it drove they all stopped. I've yet to see a GM that is better than any MINI... IMHO I would stay away from American Brands since none can compare.

Good luck!

Old 02-12-2011, 10:38 PM
Tmini08
5th Gear
Originally Posted by MCSfanboy
Some unscrupulous salespeople will tell you anything to sway you into their deal. This is childish psychology used to persuade you into doubt, so they can jab a meat hook into your brain and put you on the shearing rack.

It sounds like you challenged the notion of what a "girly" car is suppose to be, which is a great way to counter such insults. These kind of statements are just the figment of someone's imagination trying to prove something for their personal benefit --as in this case to sell you a GM product.

Bravo to you for standing up to it and even posting it here for all of us to learn something.
Well stated sir.

Old 02-13-2011, 02:39 AM
CJ727
1st Gear
Originally Posted by proximal
You do realize he was trying to sell you a different car, right?
Really... Was he? .... :/ jk
Yes of course I.do but nonetheless its still offensive to me that he assumed I purchased a mini strictly for its "cute" and "bubbly" look and that most men driving minis must be from san francisco (implying they are gay) ... then went on to say that germans could not come up with something on their own.
In my two years of driving my mini u received nothing but compliments on my car so it got me wondering if it's bc im a girl driving it...

Last edited by CJ727; 02-13-2011 at 02:50 AM.
Old 02-13-2011, 04:55 AM
ART ED
4th Gear
Why don't you just challenge him to an autocross in his new camaro. You will have fun watching that muscle car do 180's on the course while you glide past him in the finish times.

Old 02-13-2011, 06:22 AM
ggonzale
3rd Gear
CJ727 sorry to hear about your lose and hope you are ok.

Looking at your post, I think you bought your mini (ok, clubman ) because they are FUN At least I did
I love mine (my kids too) and occasionally I have to fight my wife when she want to switch cars (so I know she also love to drive it )

GM = ok vehicles, cheaper to own, more practical than fun
Mini = FUN (need to say anything else )

Good luck with your car (sorry, mini) hunting!

Old 02-13-2011, 07:08 AM
ScottRiqui
OVERDRIVE
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Part of the reason for the "girly car" image in so many peoples' minds is that America doesn't have a history of producing small, sporty cars. As a result of the cars we grew up with, there are a lot of folks that think "if it doesn't have a V-8 and rear-wheel drive, it might as well be pink."

Old 02-13-2011, 07:51 AM
CoopedOut
1st Gear
Originally Posted by minihune
MINIs rule over any GM cars at under $30K
I would have to say that for about any car under $30k. I didn't have to go to the car dealerships to see the cars in this price range. The Ford Focus and Chevy Cobalt have less appeal than a '58 Edsel.

Up to the point of me buying a 2011 MCS last month, I had drove Chevy Silverado Z71 4WD pickups for the last 18 years. I was looking at getting a new truck or a new Camaro 2SS. On a whim, I stopped in the Mini dealer and drove a Justa and a S. I liked the way it drove, fuel economy, and I could pass it on to my daughter who is currently 12 when she turns 16.

Like a lot of people say here, you have to drive the Mini and you'll understand.

It's a change of pace. I've always driven V8 rear wheel drive cars and now I have a front wheel drive 4 cylinder. I surprised friends and family with this.

I thought of selling my truck but the days with snow and when I need to haul something sure makes it nice.

Speaking of the GMC Terrain, we just bought my wife a GMC Acadia. She has driven Chevy Tahoes since 1996.

Old 02-13-2011, 08:03 AM
ngweibing
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
dealership will say whatveer they wan to make a deal..

Old 02-13-2011, 09:45 AM
RockyRoad
1st Gear
Sorry to say, american cars have some great designs but lacking quality. This the reason why I don't buy american cars.

Old 02-13-2011, 09:52 AM
Tata Steva
5th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
OK, how about this?
If MINI is "girly" because women drive them, than Suburban and Escalade are even more girly as I see almost all of those with women (mostly "cougars", but still women...) behind the wheel...

On the other hand, I love my "girly" car. There is nice feeling when you catch a glimpse of a girl looking and smiling at your MINI...

Oh, let it be even more girly!

P.S.
I don't know I try to think that I carry my "manhood" inside or at least in my pants and not on my car's grill...

Old 02-13-2011, 09:55 AM
nics.sd
3rd Gear
One of my stupid friends asked me if my new MINI came with a vag*na.

Old 02-13-2011, 09:57 AM
ScottRiqui
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by nics.sd
One of my stupid friends asked me if my new MINI came with a vag*na.

"Nope, it's on backorder - so would you mind riding shotgun until it shows up?"

Old 02-13-2011, 10:08 AM
MINIdave
6th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
It is interesting to me how people perceive cars and their owners, like Corvettes are only for the gold chain and hairy chest, midlife crisis men - Miatas are only driven by gays and girls and so on.....

Of course, a lot of these came from the fact that a lot of gold chain wearing midlife crisis guys used to and may still buy Corvettes, just as a lot of gay men and girls own Miatas and MINIs.

But so what?

When has it ever been about what other people think?

I think most MINI owners buy and drive what they want, regardless of what other people think.

Although, when I read all of these "check my build" and "what color should I get" threads, it does make me wonder....

Old 02-13-2011, 10:11 AM
AgileBeagles
1st Gear
That salesman is an a$$! I sold cars for a short time in a previous life - if that was truly the sales manager that said that, I would have gone right to the general sales manager or the general manager and told him that this close-minded, old school crap is exactly why his dealership would never get any business from me, my family or my friends.

Women that I work with call Fred "cute" (I don't mind that, because he is rather dashing! ), but he's never been called a "girly car," at least not to my face. My motorcycling buddies that have seen Fred up close think he's pretty damn cool - not cute or girly.

Old 02-13-2011, 10:11 AM
Patyacht
1st Gear
Gave up a SL500 for our JCW and will NEVER go back. We don't need guys like that in our MINI family anyway.

Old 02-13-2011, 10:14 AM
ScottRiqui
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by AgileBeagles
That salesman is an a$$! I sold cars for a short time in a previous life - if that was truly the sales manager that said that, I would have gone right to the general sales manager or the general manager and told him that this close-minded, old school crap is exactly why his dealership would never get any business from me, my family or my friends.
Agreed. Back in high school, a friend of mine and her mother went to a car dealer to buy matching cars (can't remember what kind, but it was something sporty). The salesman asked the mother "don't you think this car is a little 'young' for you?", thereby losing not one, but TWO sales in less than five seconds.

Old 02-13-2011, 10:19 AM
N666BK
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Fly'n Brick

The MINI is so underestimated by so many people.

So true. Until they see it in action.

Old 02-13-2011, 11:15 AM
dannyhavok
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Girls say my car is cute, and that's alright. Most guys I know who are driving enthusiasts like it and 'get' the appeal of a small, nimble car. Some pickup truck buddies raised an eyebrow when I told them what kind of car I bought, sure.. but when I'm behind the wheel, it's only my opinion that matters anyway. Motor on!

Old 02-13-2011, 11:37 AM
HRM
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Anyone who calls my mini cute has obviously never ridden in the passangers seat.

Cute on the outside, scary on the inside...just like me.

Quick Reply: R55 Mini ... Girly car?!!!