R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Roof Rack - Suggestions: 3rd party vs OEM

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 04:30 PM
needcaffeine
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Roof Rack - Suggestions: 3rd party vs OEM

I'm looking at getting a roof rack for my Clubman JCW. The initial 2 holders will be for kayak & bike. (these will be driven at highway speeds [read comments about speed issues])

I've read conflicting reports about 3rd party racks & their mounting vs the MINI OEM racks. The racks will be removed regularly, & I don't have the roof rails(nor do I want them).

Initial thoughts on 3rd party are Thule or Yakima

Any thoughts?

Old 04-15-2010, 05:00 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I have the OEM Base Rack System, (not rails) this is absolutely the most secure mounting I have ever seen on a roof rack system.

If in stalled properly the first time then they are easy to take on and off and in fact i can get them out of my basement and have thehm in stalled with in 5 minutes that includes the time to get them, actual install time once at the car it less than 2 minutes (for me at least). Removal is just as easy.
The OEM can accept any Yakima or Thule accessory that mounts to the Thule AERO bars as the OEM rack has the exact same dimensions as the Thule Aero bars. All Thule accessories can be adapted is they are not originally designed for the Aero bar, Thule make kits for this.

Here is a link to the original thread started for installation of the OEM Base Rack. https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-roofrack.html

You other option is to go with the Thule Rack kit for the clubman. IMHO this is not as secure as it has clamps that clamp down around the Flexible Rubber Rain Gutter on the car. The rain gutter can pull out of its mounting and I have seen it do so.

Here is a thread to a discussion about the Thule Rack. https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...installed.html

But rad this thread carefully and you will find that at least two people have reported that when fitted to the car the rack distorts the rain gutter.

I can nto find it right now but there is a thread here somewhere where the OP talks about driving into his garage while his bike was still attached to the OEM Base Rack and noted that the rack did not move nor did it twist or damage the cars roof. The only damage to the car was where the bike hit the roof behind the antenna mounting. The bike only had a damaged front wheel. If this had been the Thule rack I would suspect that the rack would have damaged the roof and the bike may have survived without damage. Cost of a replacement front wheel (even and expensive one) is less than about $200. Repairing damage and painting a roof is a lot more than that.

As for Yakima, I do not think they have come out with anything yet for the clubman. At least that is what their web site shows anyway, they are slow at coming out with new car kits. But again any Yakima accessory can be adapted for use with the OEM Base Rack System.

Old 04-15-2010, 07:48 AM
needcaffeine
1st Gear
@SwissMiss thanks for the through comments; I've been thinking that the OEM rack was most likely the way to go.

As far as attachments: I don't currently have any attachments from Thule/Yakima (only had ski attachments for old racks, which I've tossed).

opinions on MINI attachments vs Thule? I have a mountain bike & don't want a fork attachment. Kayak is touring kind, but super long.

Old 04-15-2010, 08:11 AM
Surfink
4th Gear
OEM Rack attachments

I use the touring bike holder rack from MINI weekly , if not daily. Very secure and simple. Check Marketplace here on NAM. There may be some for sale...

Old 04-15-2010, 09:07 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by needcaffeine
opinions on MINI attachments vs Thule? I have a mountain bike & don't want a fork attachment. Kayak is touring kind, but super long.
MINI attachments are High Quality but they have a limited choice.

Thule attachments are High Quality and there is a much larger selection.

I have a number of Thule attachments and an very happy with all of them.

I have seen some of the MINI attachments and they look very nice but I have no experience with their use.

Old 04-15-2010, 02:11 PM
tjh135
Neutral
roof rack

I'd have to agree with Mini option. I put one on '09ClubmanS and love it. Takes me a bit more than 5 min to off/on but still easy. Biggest observation is IF you have asunroof look how carrier rail (bike, baby, kayak, whatever) attaches at back. Clearance is tight with roof open. I returned a yakima for that reason and bought rocky mounts and still had to cut bolts shorter.

pics of installed rack w/bike mounted
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...rs-club-3.html - post #56

I picked mine up off that auction site from the Mini dealer that sells there with free 2day fedex shipping.

I figure if the BMW engineers built it, at least I'll get instructions in german.

Old 04-15-2010, 07:13 PM
dbhouston
4th Gear
Prestige Mini sells the touring bike rack (don't have to take off the front wheel) for $115 including shipping. Best price around. From time to time you can also find the accessories in the Marketplace. I have had great success with buying and selling things there.

Old 04-16-2010, 10:13 AM
atlas8000
2nd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Buy the OEM rack

I was one of the posters schatzy62 is referring to on the Thule thread. Knowing what I know now about how that rack mounts versus the OEM solution, I would have purchased the MINI rack.

I've only used mine three times and haven't experienced any gutter damage so far. The driver's side rear clip does pull on the rubber gasket and could let water behind the window. As far as driving into your garage with bikes mounted...you'd have damage to bikes/car/garage with either solution.

The Thule attachments and accessories are very high quality, however I'm a little down in Thule in general based on their initial reaction to my installation troubles. Their first reply was to blame me for not reading the directions. After resolving the issue with the fit engineer, I sent a follow-up email to the customer service rep about why their instructions were wrong and how they could be corrected. They never replied and haven't updated the online version.

Old 04-16-2010, 06:41 PM
jameszimo
2nd Gear
+1 on the OEM base rack. I put one on my clubby in April 08 and have never taken it off. It's still as solid as the day I put it on...

Old 04-17-2010, 07:59 AM
Terryt94
Neutral
Yakima ForkLift x2 on the base rack system. BTW jameszimo, your setup looks great!

Attached Thumbnails Roof Rack - Suggestions: 3rd party vs OEM-imag0077.jpg  

Last edited by Terryt94; 04-17-2010 at 08:38 AM.
Old 04-17-2010, 08:42 AM
Terryt94
Neutral
Old 04-17-2010, 04:34 PM
jameszimo
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Terryt94
Yakima ForkLift x2 on the base rack system. BTW jameszimo, your setup looks great!
I'm liking that ForkLift mount you're using... I probably would have gone that way if I didn't already have a ton of older Yakima mounts...

Old 04-18-2010, 07:36 AM
Tall Mini
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bit of a thread hijack but... how much can you put on the OEM rack? I assume it is limited by weight and space. I have been looking at it with the thought of being able to put the kid's bikes (3) to take to friends etc.

Old 04-18-2010, 08:26 AM
Terryt94
Neutral
Originally Posted by Tall Mini
Bit of a thread hijack but... how much can you put on the OEM rack? I assume it is limited by weight and space. I have been looking at it with the thought of being able to put the kid's bikes (3) to take to friends etc.
Clubman = 165 pounds. I'm certain it includes the weight of the equipment, also.
http://www.miniusanews.com/web/admin...an%20Specs.pdf

Old 04-19-2010, 04:58 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by Terryt94
Clubman = 165 pounds. I'm certain it includes the weight of the equipment, also.
http://www.miniusanews.com/web/admin...an%20Specs.pdf
The 165 pounds is the accessories and equimpent (bike, kayak, box with stuff etc) but does not include the weight of the Base Rack bars.

Not sure what the Thule rack is rated at but may be atlas8000 can chime in with that figure.

Old 04-19-2010, 07:55 PM
Terryt94
Neutral
the bars are super light.

Old 06-04-2010, 04:15 PM
Performance Angst
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Curious, has anyone checked gas mileage with and without a bike mounted to the roof?

I wonder if a rear mounted rack would give better fuel mileage compared to a roof mount system.

Thanks

Old 06-04-2010, 04:42 PM
Darryl_J
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by schatzy62
As for Yakima, I do not think they have come out with anything yet for the clubman. At least that is what their web site shows anyway, they are slow at coming out with new car kits. But again any Yakima accessory can be adapted for use with the OEM Base Rack System.
I emailed Yakima (since I've been using their racks for over 10 years), and they replied that they only have -- and only plan to have -- a rack for the Clubman with the factory roof rails.

I went with the OEM rack.

A ***** to put on the first time, mind, but it's as solid as anything I've ever seen.

YMMV, as the saying goes.