Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Interior/Exterior :: Installation of OEM roofrack

Here is the Full Instruction sheet

Here are the old and new part numbers

Old - 82 71 0 435 846

New - 82 71 2 149 225

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Clubman OEM Rack Install.pdf (1.11 MB, 6008 views)

Last edited by schatzy62; 08-03-2009 at 11:25 AM.
Old 08-09-2008, 04:52 PM
Performance Angst
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
That's good to have.

Old 12-12-2008, 07:21 PM
mdot
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Last edited by mdot; 12-22-2008 at 05:37 PM.
Old 01-12-2009, 10:00 AM
cfellers
Neutral
Is this the only rack available for the '08 Mini Clubman? I have read that there are issues with this rack. Any advice?

According to the Thule website, they may have a rack for this application.

Cheers,
cfellers

Old 02-19-2009, 10:25 AM
NJclubman
1st Gear
Rack leaks?

I notice that on the new mini rack, you need to tear a piece of the rain gutter seal to the roof off in four places. This allows the feet of the rack to be inserted. I'm wondering if anyone who has done this experienced any leakage into the headliner. Also, I'm concerned about long term rust potential.

Old 02-19-2009, 10:52 AM
SaltNPepa
4th Gear
Originally Posted by NJclubman
I notice that on the new mini rack, you need to tear a piece of the rain gutter seal to the roof off in four places. This allows the feet of the rack to be inserted. I'm wondering if anyone who has done this experienced any leakage into the headliner. Also, I'm concerned about long term rust potential.
As far as I know the MINI racks have allways worked that way. We got the rack put on when we picked up our car in october and take it off when not in use. It does come with little plugs to cover the holes when you take the rack off. We have had no leakage issues to date.

Old 02-19-2009, 11:14 AM
MBX5
4th Gear
No leakage with my rack which has been installed since June. It's been off now for the last few months in rain and snow.

Old 03-04-2009, 08:23 AM
endobikeman
Neutral
No Leaks

I had mine installed when I picked it up on Feb 22, 2008 and no leaks so far.

I never take it off, as I am ALWAYS carrying bikes.

Old 03-17-2009, 08:15 AM
fupac133
3rd Gear
I was able to put the factory rack on the vehicle with no problems but now I am unable to put the Thule fairing on since the bar is bigger than the Thule. Has anyone put a Yakima or Thule fairing on the factory rack? Does anyone know how to modify the clips in order to fit the fairing?

Thanks
Jeff

Old 03-17-2009, 08:23 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
check with your Thule dealer to see if they have the "Aero Bar Attachment Kit" for the fairing u you are using. The bars on the OEM are very close to but not exactly the same as the Thule Aero Bars. Most people find that they are close enough that the "Aero Bar Attachement Kits" work with the Mini OEM Rack.

Old 03-17-2009, 12:38 PM
fupac133
3rd Gear
Originally I had the Thule aero bar on the Mini but I didn't like it to much. I felt it wasnt stable so I went out and got the factory roof rack. I have tried putting the fairing on but the factory is a little bit bigger then the aero. Do you know if they had to modify it in order for it to fit? If so what do you need to do to make it work.

Thanks
Jeff

Originally Posted by schatzy62
check with your Thule dealer to see if they have the "Aero Bar Attachment Kit" for the fairing u you are using. The bars on the OEM are very close to but not exactly the same as the Thule Aero Bars. Most people find that they are close enough that the "Aero Bar Attachement Kits" work with the Mini OEM Rack.

Old 03-21-2009, 10:01 AM
kingbc
2nd Gear
Here is the Full Instruction sheet
Great write-up! One questions however, some state tat you must cut the weatherstripping to get this to fit, yet your document does not reference this. Did you find that cutting was not necessary?

Old 03-21-2009, 12:15 PM
MBX5
4th Gear
The strip comes pre-cut. Just look in the area of the slots and you will see a little perforated area. You then can pull that out with the tweezers that come with the rack. It's in the PDF about removing it.

Old 05-09-2009, 10:52 PM
TNMiniMama
6th Gear
I just put the Thule fairing on my factory rack today. Took me about 1/2 hour and most of that was because the instructions weren't as clear as I would have liked (or my head was mucky...). Only prob I had was that one of the snap in pins was missing (will stop by REI on Monday to get another), but otherwise everything snapped in place. I took it for a test drive and it cut the heavy wind noise out- but I still have wind noise, more like a heavy breeze- or the sound of constant waves in the ocean. Not unpleasant at all- My windscreen does pop up and causes the fairing to lift ever so slightly, but when I held the windscreen down, it didn't seem to effect the breezy noise at all, so I'm going to let it be. I'll try to get a pix and post it tomorrow.
Yes, it seems the factory bars are slightly thicker than Thule bars, but the clamps on the fairing are holding well. Just took a bit of convincing to get them on.
Also, I turned my fairing around, so that from the front of the car, the Thule logo wasn't showing... I may paint on something later...
hope this helps-
Originally Posted by fupac133
I was able to put the factory rack on the vehicle with no problems but now I am unable to put the Thule fairing on since the bar is bigger than the Thule. Has anyone put a Yakima or Thule fairing on the factory rack? Does anyone know how to modify the clips in order to fit the fairing?

Thanks
Jeff

Old 05-10-2009, 04:42 AM
Lyme
2nd Gear
I have an early 08 (12/07) ClubmanS. I was told by the dealer that there were some leakage problems with the early build cars and that there is a "clip" kit that must be used. They also quoted a price of $160.00 to install the rack. I am curious as to experiences other Clubman owners have had with early build cars and if they did the initial install themselves. I just can not wrap my head around paying.

Old 06-01-2009, 03:49 AM
ART ED
4th Gear
I have decided that I will need the rack to carry my surfboards. Those noisy soft racks are driving me insane! I too was quoted $168.00 to install. I would prefer to do that myself and save some $$$ but I don't think they will sell the rack unless they can install it. How much are you paying for the rack at most dealerships?

Old 06-01-2009, 10:05 PM
Alphawave
Originally Posted by ART ED
I have decided that I will need the rack to carry my surfboards. Those noisy soft racks are driving me insane! I too was quoted $168.00 to install. I would prefer to do that myself and save some $$$ but I don't think they will sell the rack unless they can install it. How much are you paying for the rack at most dealerships?
Remarkably, I got mine from Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/MINI-Cooper-Cl...3918941&sr=8-3

These are the 'new' crossbars with the desired serial. A bitsch to install initially even with Schatzy's instructions, but once they go on it's easy to repeat.

Old 06-02-2009, 03:51 AM
ART ED
4th Gear
Alpha: It looks like the entire set up with the racks and the cross bars and surfboard adapter, however, the addy says it does not include the base rack. Did you get the surfboard carrier part? It appears to me that is what is being sold there, not the base rack. Am I reading the addy wrong?

Old 06-03-2009, 12:31 AM
Alphawave
Originally Posted by ART ED
Alpha: It looks like the entire set up with the racks and the cross bars and surfboard adapter, however, the addy says it does not include the base rack. Did you get the surfboard carrier part? It appears to me that is what is being sold there, not the base rack. Am I reading the addy wrong?
Unless I read the ad wrong! LOL It appears to me to be the base rack listing...that is the amount I paid (plus a few bucks shipping~$12 more, IIRC). I called them before ordering to verify part numbers, and my rack fits great with no leaks after dozens of pressure washes and rain days.

Old 06-03-2009, 03:37 AM
ART ED
4th Gear
I bought it and it was a fraction of the price my dealer wanted. My dealer wanted three times that much for the rack! With the instructions posted here, it should be cake to install (I hope!). Why would anyone buy from someone else? This is a no brainer! Love these guys!

Old 06-03-2009, 04:54 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by Alphawave
Remarkably, I got mine from Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/MINI-Cooper-Cl...3918941&sr=8-3

These are the 'new' crossbars with the desired serial. A bitsch to install initially even with Schatzy's instructions, but once they go on it's easy to repeat.
The add listed above seems to be the OEM Roof Rack system but done not include the surfboard carrier attachment.

Yes the rack is a little difficult to install the first time but after that it goes and off rather easy. It take getting it set to the particular car.

Old 06-03-2009, 09:28 PM
Alphawave
The add listed above seems to be the OEM Roof Rack system but done not include the surfboard carrier attachment.

Yes the rack is a little difficult to install the first time but after that it goes and off rather easy. It take getting it set to the particular car.
Definitely...the loosening of those vertical screws helped jog things into position, and were easy to tighten with the allen wrench as the final step. My only recommendation insofar as your instructions: I would add some blue painters masking tape at the locations to protect the finish/paint as you tussle with the racks setting them into position and get them tightened up. Yes, there are little plastic protector wraps on the bar, but still....

Old 06-04-2009, 03:20 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
The tape is a good idea. And just yesterday my car detailer suggested using Clear Bra material in small pieces so that the protection is permanent.

Any local sign shop that does vehicles should be able to do the small pieces for just a few bucks.

I will have to add that to the document as a note.

Old 06-04-2009, 06:22 AM
geoffv
3rd Gear
I put electrical tape down for the winter. Because just after a weeks of use I had some scratches from friction under there. But that was with my first rack that did not fit as well. My dealership game me a knew rack which fits a lot better. After having removed and installed it several times now, it has gotten a lot easier.

Old 06-06-2009, 07:42 AM
ART ED
4th Gear
This bugger took me two hours!!! Not as easy as I had hoped and of course, I am not very mechanically inclined either. I backed the brass nut off way too far and found it incredibly difficult to get the plates into the groove while wiggling the rack. Also, the pre cut piece did not come off so easily with tweezers and I found it much easier to use the tweezers to grab it and then pull on it with pointed pliers. I really wish that brash nut washer combo was a bit larger. There is very little latitude for error because it is so narrow (it is the nut that holds the plates down. Just a quarter inch bigger would have helped tremendously! It is on, it was a bear, and if you can afford it, get the dealer to put it on so you don't scratch your roof like I did. Not a big deal and they are minimal, but you know how we feel about these beauties. The slightest mark is somewhat heartbreaking. One curious oddity that I learned is that under the black roof is the laser blue paint! Apparently they paint the car all one color and then layer the black on top of that prior to clear coating it. Just thought that was interesting. Nothing a little touch up paint won't fix. I don't plan on ever taking them off. I can't imagine going through that again, although the time would be about one fourth of what I spent this morning. Now for some surf to check out how they hold up!

Quick Reply: How To Interior/Exterior :: Installation of OEM roofrack