R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Do You Hear a Lot of Wind Noise From the Sunroof, When Closed?....

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 02:08 PM
Terry F.
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do You Hear a Lot of Wind Noise From the Sunroof, When Closed?....

Hi all,

Our Clubman seems to have considerably more sunroof wind noise (when closed) than when we purchased it, over 20,000 miles ago. There are no water leaks, it is just inexcuseably loud. Again, this is wind noise from the sunroof when the sunroof is closed.

It's going in for service soon and we will mention it, of course. I'm just wondering if anyone else has a similar observation.

Thanks and regards,
Terry

Old 01-08-2010, 02:10 PM
malteseracer
4th Gear
I hear a lot of wind noise in my R56 and I dont even have a sunroof

Old 01-08-2010, 02:16 PM
Terry F.
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by malteseracer
I hear a lot of wind noise in my R56 and I dont even have a sunroof
That's very helpful info.

Old 01-08-2010, 03:47 PM
dvhone
3rd Gear
No wind noise what so ever when closed here.

Old 01-08-2010, 04:11 PM
ggonzale
3rd Gear
No issues until now for me. Did you check the seal around the sunroof?

Old 01-08-2010, 05:42 PM
isthar
5th Gear
I've got the roof rails... and it was like 40 to 50mph winds the other weekend on my way to NYC: noise, noise, noise but hey, it was actually reasonable up to about 85+ mph

Old 01-08-2010, 06:34 PM
Headlands
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No noise here, but of course my Clubman is only 950 miles old.

Old 01-08-2010, 06:35 PM
ran-o-matic
4th Gear
Mine seems as quiet as a metal roof.

Old 01-08-2010, 06:45 PM
woody30028
2nd Gear
I've just started to notice wind noise from the sunroof area recently. It's not crazy loud, but louder than I think it ought to be and louder than just a week ago. Anybody know what might cause a sudden increase in noise around a closed sunroof?

Old 01-08-2010, 08:00 PM
jbrowland
3rd Gear
No noise as of yet but mine is only 3 days old, lol. That said, the review on motherproof.com of the clubman with sun roof and roof rails mentioned "excessive" wind noise at speed to the point of being annoying and pointed out that it was likely the roof rails at fault along with the sun roof for what it's worth.

Old 01-08-2010, 08:18 PM
miniclubman
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
There have been many threads concerning sunroofs that don't operate properly, sticking closed, misaligned mechanisms, etc...etc... I had the sunroof on my Clubman replaced due to the "stuck closed" issue, but I wouldn't be surprised if yours wasn't seating properly.

I would recommend running it through a few full open/close cycles, and watch the mechanism closely to make sure it sits completely flush when closed.

If that doesn't help, your dealer should check, align, and lubricate the mechanism. That's the standard procedure most dealers try first when presented with a sunroof issue.

Old 01-09-2010, 07:29 AM
pointydog
1st Gear
Me too

My sunroof has been noticably noisy since I got the car. It doesn't leak, and seems to open and close properly.
Looking at it, there is a visible depression all around the glass where the seal is, looks like that may be the reason for the noise.

Boy it would be nice to eliminate that if it's possible, the noise is distracting.
Please let us know how you make out with it.

Old 01-09-2010, 08:09 AM
Terry F.
3rd Gear
Thanks, everyone, for your input. I'll update the thread if I have any success at the dealer at the service interval.

Regards,
Terry

Old 01-09-2010, 08:21 AM
manish
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Terry F.
Hi all,

Our Clubman seems to have considerably more sunroof wind noise (when closed) than when we purchased it, over 20,000 miles ago. There are no water leaks, it is just inexcuseably loud. Again, this is wind noise from the sunroof when the sunroof is closed.

It's going in for service soon and we will mention it, of course. I'm just wondering if anyone else has a similar observation.

Thanks and regards,
Terry
yes. i justed started noticing it recently with my 08 MCS. Never had a problem before. have an scheduled service coming up in 1800 miles so i will wait until then to have them check it out.

Old 01-09-2010, 08:46 AM
woody30028
2nd Gear
I just got back from a test trip where I put masking tape around the sunroof and the roof making a better seal. The noise disappears with the tape. So I know the noise is sunroof generated.

The noise may be weather related. The roof must contract and expand depending on the ambient temperature. Our car had no wind noise from the sunroof area until the temperature dropped from 30s and 40s to low 20s suddenly last week.

We live in Macon, Ga. and we get in the high 90s often. Last summer we had an issue with the sunroof sticking closed when the temperature got extremely high. On extremely hot days the sunroof would stick closed if the car had been parked in the sun for a several hours. It would un-stick once the car was driven a few miles with the AC on.

We told the SA about the issue and the sunroof was lubricated and maybe it was adjusted at the dealer. Can't remember.

The headliner and sunroof were removed to repair a side curtain airbag since then. But we had no noise issues until this really cold weather. (Low 20s is cold to southerns)

So I was wondering Terry F. Has there been a sudden drop in the ambient temperature in your area?

It should warm up here soon and I will pay attention to see if the wind noise gets better or not. I will let you know. Woody

Old 01-09-2010, 09:21 AM
thevelourfog
5th Gear
I've had a lot of sunroof issues with my coupe. It all started with it not opening when warm and getting that fixed. The fix was making it so the sunroof didn't close all the way and had a permanent slight tilt to it which I didn't like. A few poor adjustments later my wind noise had literally doubled and that was fixed by replacing the wind noise with rattles. Never ending struggle it seems, maybe I need a new dealer.

It took me 5 or 6 visits to my dealer to get it fixed ultimately as they always generated another problem by adjusting my sunroof. Be sure to go for a test drive with a tech when you drop your car off to show them how to replicate the problem, otherwise you're wasting your time and it may not get fixed to your satisfaction if your dealer sucks.

Old 01-09-2010, 09:22 AM
iwashmycar
6th Gear
Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts
Mine is pretty loud usually. I kinda thought it may be the fact I wash my car A LOT. I've had one service where they dropped the headliner to insulate a wire but they didn't touch the glass.

Old 01-09-2010, 04:23 PM
Terry F.
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by woody30028

So I was wondering Terry F. Has there been a sudden drop in the ambient temperature in your area?

Woody
Thanks again, everyone, for your feedback. Sorry to hear others are having this difficulty but reading that confirms that my perception is correct.

Woody, Since it's winter, sure, the temps are lower. Tonight, in fact it is headed for freezing, something that very seldom occurs (and I'm not too happy about it).

I'd say that there is no sudden change in my instance, it's been noisy for quite a while now. But I'm not in the car too often either, maybe twice a month (wifemobile). So perhaps there has been a small, recent slip in the wind noise.

Thanks,
Terry

Old 01-09-2010, 06:00 PM
DanH
1st Gear
I too have noise which I have attributed to the sun roof. I rolled up a small black towel and placed it in the leading edge of the sunroof interior. I sewed the edge of rolled towel so that it can be taken out without coming unrolled. It is not easily visible and has cut back on the noise.

Old 01-09-2010, 08:12 PM
Terry F.
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by DanH
I too have noise which I have attributed to the sun roof. I rolled up a small black towel and placed it in the leading edge of the sunroof interior. I sewed the edge of rolled towel so that it can be taken out without coming unrolled. It is not easily visible and has cut back on the noise.
That's a good idea, as a temporary solution. Thanks.

Old 01-10-2010, 04:41 AM
woody30028
2nd Gear
Yesterday the temperature got up to 45 at mid day. I parked Pigweed in a sunny spot and got the top warm. There was less noise coming from the sunroof during my test drive. It's back down to 20 degrees this morning. We'll listen to what happens on our next drive.

Old 01-10-2010, 06:50 AM
dbhouston
4th Gear
Mine has been a bit louder the last week, but with the record cold (for us), I haven't thought anything of it. I used to have a Mazda MX3 where the interior plastic parts would rattle horribly when it got cold and the plastic shrank. When the weather warms up, all will be well again, I'm sure. That's not MINI; it's physics.

Old 01-10-2010, 02:06 PM
Terry F.
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by dbhouston
Mine has been a bit louder the last week, but with the record cold (for us), I haven't thought anything of it. I used to have a Mazda MX3 where the interior plastic parts would rattle horribly when it got cold and the plastic shrank. When the weather warms up, all will be well again, I'm sure. That's not MINI; it's physics.
Hmmm, thanks for the input but my other two cars with sunroofs are not displaying this behavior. Just the Mini.

Thanks,
Terry

Old 01-11-2010, 09:43 AM
pilotart
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Something wrong for sure.

Mine is loud at speed when open, but silent when completely closed, or even if 'vented' 1/4 inch or less.

Old 01-11-2010, 11:27 AM
MINIxB
6th Gear
Mine makes some pretty annoying wind noise sometimes...it could also be coming from the windshield too...

Quick Reply: R55 Do You Hear a Lot of Wind Noise From the Sunroof, When Closed?....