R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Ballpark on Tinting a Clubman

Old 11-25-2008, 08:31 AM
robbiecarman
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ballpark on Tinting a Clubman

I take delivery tomorrow of my new PW/Blk Clubman and I'm more then just a bit excited!

With the black roof and pillars and PW body I've been thinking that the car would look sweet with some window tint. Now I know that the cost of the tinting will vary based on the shop I use and what film I choose but here are a couple questions.

1. What can I expect to pay with "normal" quality film and labor?
2. Are there certain films that I should look for and ask for?
3. Because of some of the unique sizes and shapes of the Clubman's windows is it possible that labor and materials will be ALOT more then a standard coupe?

Also I'm in the D.C. area anyone have any experience with LA Tint or Solar Solutions?

Thanks!

Old 11-25-2008, 08:42 AM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
1. Around 120-200 probably.

2. I'm not sure...I'll let someone with a little more experience lend their opinion.

3. It shouldn't cost much more than a normal size MINI. It's got a little more window room (a few inches) than the MINI coupes but it's still pretty small.

The size and shape doesn't really matter. Most shops just have large rolls and they apply the tint and then cut it to shape with a blade. Some shops have special cutters, but they should already have the clubman on file.

Old 11-25-2008, 09:32 AM
IzzyG
6th Gear
1. I would not pay below $150 for tinting. Something about it being that cheap kinda raises a red flag for me personally. I paid $220 and it came with lifetime warranty and a tinter who's done it for over 30 years.
2. I would skip ceramic flims personally. It's main benefit is ceramic film does not interfere with reception. For example, if you had a Sirius radio antenna at the back of your car on the inside(not sure why people do this), it will interfere. Same goes with GPS. I can't remember what type I had gotten but it came out better than I expected. Don't really see a need to pay for a $400 tint but that's just me.
3. You will pay more but not substantially more. Mine came out to be $40 more than a regular Mini.

Old 11-25-2008, 09:34 AM
accordselux
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1. Mine cost 225, there was a local shop that would do it for $175 but the guy I went with does the tinting for the dealership, and I was the 5th Clubman that DAY. I paid the premium for his experience and lifetime warranty.

2. You should look for metallized or ceramic film. Ceramic films are pretty expensive and I'm not sure the benefits are worth it to a normal consumer. Some shops cut prices by offering dyed film. Over time this cheap dyed film turns purple as it fades, and it's usually more prone to bubbling up and stuff. Tints like Llumar, Sungard, Global Window Films are name brands that offer good warranties and quality products.

3. My price wasn't more, but maybe someone unfamiliar with a Clubman may need extra time, but it should be pretty standard.

Ask if they've worked on Clubmans before- that's probably the best way to go. You may also want to call your MA and ask who tints the cars for the dealer- that's how I found mine, and the work of course was top notch.

My 50%- i'd like to have gone 35 but 50 is the legal limit in MN and I didn't want a cop to find an excuse to ticket me

Old 11-25-2008, 09:43 AM
robbiecarman
1st Gear
Originally Posted by accordselux
1. Mine cost 225, there was a local shop that would do it for $175 but the guy I went with does the tinting for the dealership, and I was the 5th Clubman that DAY. I paid the premium for his experience and lifetime warranty.

2. You should look for metallized or ceramic film. Ceramic films are pretty expensive and I'm not sure the benefits are worth it to a normal consumer. Some shops cut prices by offering dyed film. Over time this cheap dyed film turns purple as it fades, and it's usually more prone to bubbling up and stuff. Tints like Llumar, Sungard, Global Window Films are name brands that offer good warranties and quality products.

3. My price wasn't more, but maybe someone unfamiliar with a Clubman may need extra time, but it should be pretty standard.

Ask if they've worked on Clubmans before- that's probably the best way to go. You may also want to call your MA and ask who tints the cars for the dealer- that's how I found mine, and the work of course was top notch.

My 50%- i'd like to have gone 35 but 50 is the legal limit in MN and I didn't want a cop to find an excuse to ticket me

Nice! Car looks great. I think I can go a bit darker here but I''ll have to investigate. Thanks for the info!

Old 11-25-2008, 09:59 AM
IzzyG
6th Gear
I had that issue with legal limits on tint. In WI, it's 50 in the front and 35 in the rear. I decided to go 50 in the front and 20(factory match it's called) in the rear. The debate on enforcement made me quite nervous about being illegally tinted but the huge concern is the front, more so than the rear. Cops need to be able to see the driver. The few officers I've spoken to mentioned that usually state troopers are more likely to enforce rather than local police and they will pull you over for more than a tint(for speeding or whatever in addition to the tint)

Needless to say, if you have a 5% tint(limo tint), you're just asking for it. Oh and many don't know this but if an officer does pull you over for your tint, without a tint radar(handheld device that measures tint percentage), they cannot legally write you a ticket. It cannot be a judgment call. You should also check what type of vehicle the Clubman is listed as in your area. SUV's and station wagons get a darker rear tint allowance. On my insurance, the Clubman is listed as a station wagon.

Old 11-25-2008, 10:07 AM
Dark Knight
3rd Gear
Both my wife's Clubman and my Cooper S cost $160.00 each. The place does do tinting for the dealership. Lifetime warranty too.

Old 11-25-2008, 06:39 PM
proximal
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1. Between $250 and $400 for ceramic, depending on the material.
2. Go ceramic. In general it has better heat rejection characteristics and you don't have to worry about it interfering with your radio, phone, etc.
3. The two shops I talked to had the same price for the Clubman and Hardtop.

This is 35% FormulaOne Pinnacle. My interior is Hot Chocolate.

Old 11-25-2008, 08:06 PM
accordselux
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have had zero problems with interference on my phone, or the radio, and I know ceramic does reflect more heat, but I haven't seen any real numbers that make it stand out as *that* important to pay up to twice as much. Just my experience.

Old 11-25-2008, 09:15 PM
portablevcb
3rd Gear
We had ours coated by the dealer. Rear side windows, back and sunroof. It was $250 or 300. I don't like having the drivers and passenger windows coated.

charlie

Old 11-25-2008, 09:22 PM
RaceFace
3rd Gear
Ours was $150.00 including the sunroof (the 'bro' deal). The woman has done all my cars over the years and did my house. She does a great job!!

Old 11-26-2008, 08:37 AM
Craig6z
2nd Gear
Sunroof only

I had the sunroofs tinted last week. The service writer at Bob Smith Mini in Calabasas recommended Conejo Auto Detailing and Window Tinting in Thousand Oaks.

Did some due diligence and read a number of good reviews of the shop, added to the fact they have been in business 37 years. Price was reasonable - $75 less the ten percent coupon below, with a lifetime warranty. I've paid considerably more for similar work on other cars:

http://www.conejoautodetailingandwindowtinting.com/

Took two hours and so far the work looks great. Went with a 15% film. My wife hated the nearly transparent sunroof. As drastic as a 15% film sounds like, it's not that dark. The only downside you do pick up some internal reflection (not annoying to me).

Old 11-26-2008, 10:43 AM
hoonu
5th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I think we paid $149; not sure.

Pics are in this thread: https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...d.php?t=151353,

and in my gallery.