R52 :: Cabrio Talk (2005-2008) Cooper and Cooper S convertible (R52) discussion.

R52 Auto Up/Down Button for Convertible Top

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2007, 02:13 PM
veritek
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Auto Up/Down Button for Convertible Top

I own a 2006 MC Cabrio, and I'm getting tired of holding down the buttons that control the convertible top. Does anyone know of any aftermarket circuit that makes the convertible Open and Close buttons automatic? I was doing some research on the forum and found the MCAW and the GBMini circuits that do similar jobs for the windows.

Does the product I'm looking for exist? If not, I'm pretty sure I'm capable of making such a circuit, but I would need a little more information on the buttons themselves. Are they wired to the switch panel in the center console or would I have to access them through the console above the rear view mirror? Has anyone else attempted this on the forum? Any information would be greatly appreciated, and I'd be happy to share my findings/progress with anyone willing to help.

Thank, Ed

Old 02-28-2007, 06:52 PM
MiniMaybee
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Now there's a brilliant idea. I would guess it's a little more complicated than just a switch since there is a speed over-ride to it. Maybe that happens somewhere else though.
Pursue your dreams!

Old 02-28-2007, 07:52 PM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Hmmm.... interesting thoughts....

I suspect the whole thing is controlled by the Body Control Module...
so the switch is just a switch I bet...
Probably connected to the BCM, that in turn is connected to a relay that powers the top - just a guess...
Now the switch will have another wire to the BCM that flashes the little light... does the light flash when the top is moving, or only when it's stationary and no fully open/closed?
And if it flashes when moving, it would be interesting to know if the BCM sends an intermittant current to flash it, or if the lamp in the switch actually blinks by itself under constant current...
... Cause if you were going to wire in a "smarter" switch, it would need to "know" when the top was fully open or closed... maybe it could do that based on the flashing lamp circuit...

hmmm....

Old 02-28-2007, 07:54 PM
MiniMaybee
6th Gear
When the top is either full open or fully closed, the flashing light goes solid before turning off.

Old 02-28-2007, 10:07 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts
It should be possible to do a roof auto up/down in a very similar way to the window auto-up circuit (at least what I know of Ian Cull's version). His window auto-up electronically pushes the button (i.e. closes the circuit) for a fixed number of seconds. A convertible version would have to simulate pressing it for some number of seconds, releasing, and pressing a second time for another interval. It would operate just like manually pressing the button in the same sequence. Whether the car is moving or not, the roof would respond (or not) the same as pushing the button manually.

Old 02-28-2007, 11:17 PM
btallack
2nd Gear
If someone were to retail a module to do this I would certainly purchase one.

Old 03-01-2007, 05:46 AM
MiniMaybee
6th Gear
It would also have to have an override so that you could open just the sunroof if so inclined (though why I don't know).

Old 03-01-2007, 06:28 AM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
Yeah - I think the ideal behavior would be press and release quickly - it auto-opens - or cancels if already opening. Press and hold, it works just like "stock" - that way you could open the sunroof manually, or open the sunroof completely automatically. Then a second press-release would open the top.

I'm concerned that the time-based open/close might stress the motor more than necessary - I hate hearing the motor running when the top is completely open or closed... Would be best if there was some way to tie this into the same limit switches that the top uses to know whether or not to blink the light and chime when you switch off with something open.

Old 03-01-2007, 07:14 AM
veritek
Neutral
Wow! Thanks for all the great feedback! This is my first thread posting on this forum and I'm glad to see all the friendly helpful people out there. My friends and I have been talking about the logic we would put into it and the mode that would allow the sunroof setting seems to be ideal and would be easy enough to program. I'm planning on setting up a prototype level switch just to play around with it and get all the bugs worked out. After that, I'll probably look into selling these units, but I don't even want to speculate about pricing and selling anything until I actually get mine to work.

One thing I would need is some instructions on accessing the wires behind the buttons. Does anyone know if there are any posted DIY instructions for that?

Thanks

Old 03-01-2007, 07:28 AM
MiniMaybee
6th Gear
I would bet that they are accessed via the dome light access panel. That whole panel pops off to get at the light. I'll see if I can find the post on this but it was something to do with LEDs.

Edit: Yep, here's the link - https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ad.php?t=78164
This one may be helpful as well - https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ad.php?t=85967

Old 03-01-2007, 08:19 AM
eager2own
6th Gear
If someone were to retail a module to do this I would certainly purchase one.
+1

Old 03-01-2007, 09:08 AM
IOmini_punkin
3rd Gear
It might sound like a nice idea but it's probably not a good one. It's a safety issue. Imagine a child in the backseat moving there hands where they shouldn't be. Come on it's only 17 seconds are your arms that heavy? It's safer that way. I have put a 2 year-old back there & I'm happy it works as it does.

Old 03-01-2007, 09:14 AM
acej80
2nd Gear
Great idea, add me to the list of purchasers if such a mod was produced.

Old 03-01-2007, 09:15 AM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
Originally Posted by IOmini_punkin
It might sound like a nice idea but it's probably not a good one. It's a safety issue. Imagine a child in the backseat moving there hands where they shouldn't be. Come on it's only 17 seconds are your arms that heavy? It's safer that way. I have put a 2 year-old back there & I'm happy it works as it does.
I understand this, and as a responsible adult would use the "manual" override feature I described when lowering or raising with any person (including my beloved children) in the back. But, just like the MCAW circuit, I appreciate the freedom to add a convenience feature and use good judgement in it's operation - vs. have what I "should" or "shouldn't" do dictated to me based on safety of what "might" happen. I mean - the ONLY reason I don't kill someone every time I drive is because I exercise good skill and judgement - no safety feature will EVER make driving truly "safe" compared to sitting at home... <end soapbox>

And that's also why I recommended a second press would cancel the current "automatic" operation - as a safety feature.

Old 03-01-2007, 09:53 AM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
You can implement it like the window auto-up circuit. A double-click triggers the auto operation but otherwise the buttons operate normally. Clicking while auto mode is operating stops it.

The circuitry of the window auto-up can serve as the foundation for this potential product. With some tweaking I am sure it can be adapted.

Old 03-01-2007, 09:57 AM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
Originally Posted by rkw
You can implement it like the window auto-up circuit. A double-click triggers the auto operation but otherwise the buttons operate normally. Clicking while auto mode is operating stops it.

The circuitry of the window auto-up can serve as the foundation for this potential product. With some tweaking I am sure it can be adapted.
+1

And I'd buy one...

Old 03-01-2007, 10:11 AM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
I've sent a PM to Ian Cull (GBMINI), creator of the original auto-up. Hopefully he will add his comments here.

Old 03-01-2007, 10:26 AM
GBMINI
6th Gear
And he arrived

RKW is correct. The safest way to implement such a feature without tampering with the MINIs own electronics is to just hold the switch signal active for an appropriate amount of time.
Just like the window motor circuits in the MINI, I'd assume that there's already protection to prevent burning the motors if you sit and hold the switch closed after the roof has closed/opened. So an "active for fixed time" circuit would be OK.

My original MINI circuit (and the similar one) is relatively easy to install since by chance, the toggle switch panel wiring has both a 12V+ and 12V- supply in addition to the switch & lighting signals.

I don't have a convertible and have never disassembled one or seen schematics sufficient to determine (a) where a circuit might be located and (b) how complex the installation would be.
But it's all possible in theory.

Old 03-01-2007, 10:44 AM
MINI ESQ
2nd Gear
"But it's all possible in theory."

So does that mean you'll do it???

Old 03-01-2007, 10:46 AM
GBMINI
6th Gear
Originally Posted by rogrees
So does that mean you'll do it???

Originally Posted by GBMINI
I don't have a convertible and have never disassembled one ...
Are you offering to provide the convertible?

Old 03-01-2007, 11:31 AM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
I think Ian would need the following:
  • Access to a convertible
  • Circuit diagrams (for the convertible, not available from any printed manual that I'm aware of. Would have to download from a service such as http://www.minitis.com/)
  • Some per$ua$ion
The major difference from the window auto-up would be that the roof requires two presses to open completely (sunroof, then top down). So it would have to sequence pressing once, release, and pressing again. However, closing the roof should be quite similar to the window auto-up.

Old 03-01-2007, 11:44 AM
am0eba
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Another potential customer here!

As far as logic, I'd be happy just to not have to hold the switch; in other words, press once for the sunroof mode, wait for it to stop, then press again for the full top-down mode.

Have been very happy with Ian's Window/Track Mode circuit - almost two years now!

_Dave_

Old 03-01-2007, 11:48 AM
goaljnky
Banned
I have to say that I am not really bothered by having to hold the button. However, it there was a solution similar to the Auto-Up I would definitely buy it.

P.S. Will it have the DSC off mode? I keed, I keed.

Old 03-01-2007, 11:50 AM
veritek
Neutral
Ian, my friends and I have had some exposure to PICs and I'm very comfortable doing all the wiring and installations. Would you answer any technical questions if they come up while I try to make this thing?

If you feel this would negatively impact your window switch sales then I understand if you don't want to help, but I still have to ask, right.

Old 03-01-2007, 12:17 PM
geraldhe1
Neutral
Veritek - count me in as a potential buyer.

My kids have ten fingers each, they could spare a few to "roofing accidents"

Ian - I just bought your auto-up yesterday. If you worked on Veritek's auto-open/close then I'd feel even better about the purchase. But not so good as to lend you my cabrio. That's Veritek's responsibility

Attached Images  

Quick Reply: R52 Auto Up/Down Button for Convertible Top