R52 :: Cabrio Talk (2005-2008) Cooper and Cooper S convertible (R52) discussion.

R52 Cabrio in a Phil Wicks Driving Academy

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2006, 09:38 AM
pjschaffer
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cabrio in a Phil Wicks Driving Academy

I would really like to take a Phil Wicks Driving Academy course (or similar). However, I haven't been able to ascertain if it is acceptable to use a convertible for this. Has anyone actually taken a Phil Wicks course in a cabrio? Curious minds would like to know.

Thanks,

Phil

Old 04-27-2006, 09:51 AM
Mishka
6th Gear
I am pretty sure you can, since there is a St Louis MINI Club member(with a cabrio) who is a Phil Wicks Instructor. Just to be safe, you might go here and ask them.

Old 04-27-2006, 09:52 AM
dave
pug poo picker-upper
Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
There was at least one cabrio at the Las Vegas Phil Wick's driving academy. I have photos of it at home. No special modification required.

Old 04-27-2006, 10:39 AM
pjschaffer
5th Gear
Mishka/DiD,

Thanks for the replies. I did send an email to the Phil Wicks academy just before I posted on NAM. I was just too impatient to wait for a response from them and figured someone here would know. The fact that DiD saw one in Vegas is encouraging.

Thanks,

Phil

Old 04-27-2006, 10:48 AM
TReed
2nd Gear
I, as well as many other cabrios, participated in the Phil Wicks DA in Sebring earlier this month. You will have to keep the top up with the front-side windows down (I also lowered my rear-side windows a little to help with the airflow issues). Remember when getting your numbers that the rear-side windows are smaller! We were allowed to drive the track with the top down during the lunch touring laps, also no helmets were required for the touring laps and we could not go above 55.

You can check out all our discussions about the event, view pictures, in-car video, etc. at http://www.sunshineminis.org/forums/...85e78ffb6c610a
(Hope that link works!)
Enjoy!
Tracey

Old 04-27-2006, 10:54 AM
pdflint
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
There were a number of Cabrios present at the Driving Academy held at the Joliet Autobahn last year. If I remember, all had their tops down, which may or may not have been a good thing since temperatures were in the high 90's.

Old 04-27-2006, 10:59 AM
pjschaffer
5th Gear
Originally Posted by TReed
...Remember when getting your numbers that the rear-side windows are smaller!...
Tracey,

Thanks for the link to the thread. I'll have to spend some time reading about the experiences you all had at Seabring. Question though, are the window numbers required by PWDA or is that something your club did for the fun of it?.. I didn't see that requirement on the PWDA website.

Thanks,

Phil

Old 04-27-2006, 11:00 AM
am0eba
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I think it may be partially dependent upon the particular track, but when I did the Wicks Golden Jubilee track Day at Laguna Seca, my top and windows were down all day! No additional equipment (other than a Snell Helmet) was required.

_Dave_

PS: Lots of pics here:
http://twistedmotoring.org/MyStuff/W...cks121405.html

Old 04-27-2006, 11:01 AM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Just keep in mind...

That this is an exception when compared to many other driving events on track. I had to put a 4 point roll bar in my convertable Mustang to go on track with my other car buddies (Nor Cal Shelby Club). And many have restrictions that pop-up hoops aren't good enough either. Also, requirements often go up with driving class (the high end passing everywhere ***** out run group requires full cage, full firesuit, and a fire suppression system).

So as you get more into track events, you may find that your options are limited by having a stock cabrio, but don't worry! It's just an excuse to get an older S hardtop to turn into a track car!

Matt

Old 04-27-2006, 11:03 AM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Don't know if you're planning on the Big Mini Day..

but you may want to check with brian if you are planning to go.

Matt

Old 04-27-2006, 11:08 AM
pjschaffer
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Dr Obnxs
Don't know if you're planning on the Big Mini Day..
but you may want to check with brian if you are planning to go.

Matt
Matt, what's the Big Mini Day? Am I missing something? I have been considering the PWDA at Buttonwillow in October. Could the Big Mini Day be related?

Phil

Old 04-27-2006, 11:11 AM
Waterway4
2nd Gear
I also participated in the Phil Wicks Golden Jubilee track Day at Laguna Seca last December in my Cabrio. No problem.

Old 04-27-2006, 11:23 AM
TReed
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by pjschaffer
Tracey,

Thanks for the link to the thread. I'll have to spend some time reading about the experiences you all had at Seabring. Question though, are the window numbers required by PWDA or is that something your club did for the fun of it?.. I didn't see that requirement on the PWDA website.

Thanks,

Phil
I don't believe it was listed on the website, but it was sent out to us in an email from Phil Wicks before the event. Had to be 8" white vinyl numbers or you could use shoe polish. I actually had to get 7 1/2" numbers to make sure they would fit (I was 43, so the 2-digits were wider than a single-digit number) also because I have a couple of other stickers on one window. Some people did have their numbers on the side of the car, which I did not know was an option until the day of (all instructions had been the rear-side windows). The numbers were needed in case anyone got black-flagged, which several did!!

It was not an option for us to have our tops down during the sessions at Sebring-they had to be up for everything except the lunch time touring laps. I don't know if that was a Phil Wicks requirement or a Sebring track requirement. I wouldn't want to drive more than about 60mph on the track with the top down anyway, with all the rubber and other debris on the track flying around. Going 100mph and getting hit with a small piece of rubber could be very bad! One of the participants in a hard-top got hit in the face by something that flew through his window on the track.

Hope this helps. Once you sign up, you should receive exact directions for the event you are participating in. And then you will become addicted!

Tracey

Old 04-27-2006, 12:38 PM
queenB
Coordinator :: Smoky Mountain MINIs
Numbers for Wicks at Sebring were requested by N.A.S.A. as we shared the track with them. It depends on the venue.

Old 04-27-2006, 12:54 PM
hong
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by pjschaffer
Matt, what's the Big Mini Day? Am I missing something? I have been considering the PWDA at Buttonwillow in October. Could the Big Mini Day be related?

Phil
http://bigminiday.com

There is a thread in Norcal for it, https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65031, wanna join?

Old 04-27-2006, 01:16 PM
pjschaffer
5th Gear
Originally Posted by hong
I just found the thread as you posted this. Willows sounds great but it's about 520 miles from home vs. about 165 for Buttonwillow. Plus, May 11 is coming up a little fast to rally consider it.

I left a message for my wife regarding a great B-Day present (PWDA Gift Certificate). Her response was "What makes you think you're getting a another birthday present in addition to the MINI!" I guess I'll have to be extra nice for the next couple of months and then try again.

Old 04-27-2006, 02:47 PM
zeusboy
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by am0eba

I think it may be partially dependent upon the particular track, but when I did the Wicks Golden Jubilee track Day at Laguna Seca, my top and windows were down all day! No additional equipment (other than a Snell Helmet) was required.

_Dave_

Same here!

I took the Phil Wicks class in Nashville at the Super Speedway and the only requrements were the Snell helmet and removing loose articles(floor mats) from the vehicle. I was the only MINI Cabrio there.

I also won the "most improved driver" award! I got a PW T-shirt and they sent me a really cool MINI Cabrio model.

Old 04-27-2006, 04:57 PM
MacGuruTX
3rd Gear
Although I have to say I don't understand the requirement to keep the Top Up. It's not going to be useful in a rollover.

Old 04-27-2006, 06:25 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Suprise me too!

Most places I've checked out require the top to be down. And locked down somehow. But they also require full sleves, and gloves. Maybe it's to keep the tire boogers from hitting someone!

Matt

Old 04-28-2006, 07:00 AM
MacGuruTX
3rd Gear
Beats me

I went to the same track one weekend and ran all weekend with it down. Went another weekend and it had to be up. The start line guy said something like you might pin your arms if the top is down and you were in a wreck. I didn't say it but was thinking, Hello, the windows are down. There's actually a higher chance of that happening with the windows down and a top up then the other way around...

But hey, what do I know, I only spent the last 10 years as a Paramedic seeing the real world results

Old 04-28-2006, 08:24 AM
Phurbahl
2nd Gear
Re Big Mini Day at Thunderhill - The track people state that all Cabrios must have a bolt-in roll cage installed to participate. The standard OEM hoops don't qualify for some reason. Big bummer for me otherwise I'd be all over that. If there are other track in the CA area that don't have this requirement please let me know. I really want to do some track time

Old 04-28-2006, 08:33 AM
dave
pug poo picker-upper
Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Phurbahl
If there are other track in the CA area that don't have this requirement please let me know. I really want to do some track time
I have attended a driver's school at Streets of Willow and there were a few stocke (no bolt-in cage) MINI cabrios (and miata's) that participated with the tops down.

There is another one coming up on May 6/7 more info here. I'm not sure if there is still space available though.